Confused about Pluto

Dirius

I actually did comment. I see the influence of Pluto but I disagree with a lot of what the modern interpretations say about what that influence actually is. That's why I said the notion to see Pluto as just a mixture of Mars and Saturn is interesting but not actually valid. I can see, however, how folks can come to that conclusion after reading the usual modern cook books. So in that sense, I can understand the traditionalists and appreciate your (plural 'you') comments. Current definitions of Pluto in astrology are not very satisfying. Point taken. To then say that Pluto is irrelevant and doesn't have anything to add because it doesn't fit into the tried and tested models is a rather bold statement, especially since no one here knows with absolute certainty why astrology actually works (myself included), we all just know how it works, and Pluto (and the other outer planets) force us to rethink our model and approach. With the emergence of the electric universe model, the old cosmological models seem to be outdated now, and with it the old astrological models. So, there's a lot of research and development to do.

But the assertion that you are making is that we at least know how it works. And that working knowledge comes from the old classical teachings we traditionalists are defending. Granted you are not defending pluto, rather stating that it could "perhaps" mean something, and we shouldn't disregard it just because we have no evidence of what it might be doing.

But if we accept that what we are doing within the traditional framework is indeed something that works in the practical sense, adding pluto or any outer wouldn't really give us much more new information that we couldn't actually get from the planets we are already employing.

Thus, my statement: pluto has no relevance. Perhaps it might carry some particular significance for some specific issue, so far this is unkown (because I agree with you that modern definitions are indeed biased), but at least for the time in which life on earth continues the way it does, whatever significance pluto could have is still irrelevant.

Astrology within the traditional sense can already pretty much predict/describe anything, given that astrology is in essence, a symbolic practice.

I think it was me who described the modern attributes of pluto as Mars/Saturn mix. But I wasn't saying those are attributes pluto has. I was just saying that, a lot of the modern attributes given to pluto, are combinations of mars/saturn, stolen from other planets in an attempt to make pluto relevant.

Last edited:

muchacho

EDIT: going to edit the post a bit, because I don't want to sound offensive or provoke an argument.

I didn't say psichological astrology was useless, or untrue. I just said it was, at least to me, a bit redundant. Personality readings usually just tell you things you already know. Perhaps some people need help regarding this, but it is something that can be done so without even looking at someone's chart (ex: an aggresive person doesn't need to check his or her chart to know he is aggresive). Knowing that a certain personality flaw is caused by a bad planetary placement, doesn't really help much in my opinion.

If you consider predictive astrology to be for the "powerless", I applaud you, to me it is a better investment of ones time, and a much more usefull tool, that can help people in a much better way. Horary itself is amazing.

What I said wasn't a statement, rather an opinion regarding the chart reading in question.
Okay, just saw your edit.

I don't feel attacked, you are always welcome to hit my models and concepts as hard as you can as long as you have an actual point. My approach is rather unorthodox anyway.

Yes, horary is amazing, astrology in general is. And I can see how predictive astrology can help calm folks down. So, as a temporary fix, to get back into balance, any tool anyone believes in should be welcome. As a way of life, however, I say it's fostering disempowerment and in the long run not doing any good in terms of peace of mind.

Re: psychological astrology, I agree, you don't need astrology to tell you who you are. Ideally, the question "Who am I?" shouldn't even arise. That's the ideal state of being perfectly in alignment with oneself. Unfortunately, people slowly but surely spend more time out of alignment than in alignment over time as they grow up and move through time. They usually don't even know anymore what is inner guidance and what is just conditioning. And that's where I see astrology can help, it can point back to one's core personality minus the conditioning. It should be clear, however, that astrology, like any other outside guidance or tool, is just the finger that is pointing to the moon and not the moon itself. IMO, there's a tendency to take astrology more serious than one actually should and ask it to deliver answers to question that it actually can't. That's why I am always pointing at the power of conscious thought which I see modern astrology doing as well, and traditional astrology not at all.

waybread

Can you PM me some life events since his ASC is so close to a sign boundary? I would need to rectify the chart before I use it.

EDIT: Actually, I just remembered that I can't since I don't have the details. Leave it with me, I need to think about how I can do this.

Konrad, since this hospital record does not appear to have been rounded, I think it's pretty close. This person definitely comes across to me as Sagittarius rising. He got married in late September, 2007-- I think the 29th or 30th.

waybread

I only posted in direct response to the querent's first post, thus I haven't followed any of the extraneous discussion that is occurring here, but if I may intrude just to say... ?

...That the chart you posted waybread is most interesting to me personally as I see a unique synastry beween it and my own natal chart.

...by the oddest of coincidences, the Sun is conj. my Pluto which was at 20* Leo 48' when I was born.
In addition, Mars conj. my Part of Play, Venus trine my Mars in the 5th deg. of Gemini, Uranus conj. my Part of Nobility & Honor, Chiron conj. my natal Venus, Jupiter conj. my vertex and the I.C. conj. my Part of Libido/Energy, have certainly piqued my interest... and I use the term "piqued" most conservatively.

No, it's a married man! But I hope you will interact with the chart based on your life experiences.

If the chart native is a woman and single... introduce me... I promise to be on my best behavior, trust me.

No, it's a married man. Sorry!

muchacho

But the assertion that you are making is that we at least know how it works. And that working knowledge comes from the old classical teachings we traditionalists are defending. Granted you are not defending pluto, rather stating that it could "perhaps" mean something, and we shouldn't disregard it just because we have no evidence of what it might be doing.

But if we accept that what we are doing within the traditional framework is indeed something that works in the practical sense, adding pluto or any outer wouldn't really give us much more new information that we couldn't actually get from the planets we are already employing.

Thus, my statement: pluto has no relevance. Perhaps it might carry some particular significance for some specific issue, so far this is unkown (because I agree with you that modern definitions are indeed biased), but at least for the time in which life on earth continues the way it does, whatever significance pluto could have is still irrelevant.

Astrology within the traditional sense can already pretty much predict/describe anything, given that astrology is in essence, a symbolic practice.

I think it was me who described the modern attributes of pluto as Mars/Saturn mix. But I wasn't saying those are attributes pluto has. I was just saying that, a lot of the modern attributes given to pluto, are combinations of mars/saturn, stolen from other planets in an attempt to make pluto relevant.
Sure, no need to toss out the traditional model. So far it's the only one that seems to really work and it's somehow 'complete'. But fact is also that we have evolved and discovered a bunch of new planets and so the question arises, "What to do with it?" And we can only really answer that question if we know not only the how's of astrology, but also the why's.

And as long as we don't understand the why's, we can't really say anything with absolute certainty and only speculate. To ignore the new discoveries is one way of dealing with it and fine with me. But I'm wired differently, I try to get to the bottom of things, so there we go.

Yeah, I think it was you who introduced the Pluto = Mars + Saturn equation, which I think is absolutely valid given the current cookbook interpretations of Pluto. I usually thought that modern astrologers would just look at Scorpio and construct themselves a planet from the material they've found there, but as you've pointed out, they didn't really do that, haha.

waybread

Re: the recent Dirius-Muchacho debate:

Sadly, people do not always understand themselves very well. And probably you see this with a few people you know. Maybe they tend to act badly or strangely around other people, then wonder why they have few friends. The abusive alcoholic who doesn't understand why his wife left him.

A common type of question in "read my chart" threads is, "What career am I best suited for?" or "What would be a good major for me in college?" Periodically you see OPs from women saying, "Why am I 40 and still single?" Or from anyone, "Why doesn't my money work out?" They might be perplexed about their romantic or parent-child relationship, and hope for some insights.
I could go on in this fashion-- but, no-- many people do not understand themselves very well and they hope that astrology will help them with some answers.

Last edited:

waybread

I think I explained this above, but for anyone whose short-term memory is comparable to mine-- no, Pluto does not equal Mars plus Saturn.

Mars is your innate aggression and assertiveness. In a man's chart it indicates his type of masculinity. In a heterosexual woman's chart, it indicates the type of man she finds attractive. We could also review its list of rulerships, like soldiers and athletes.

Mars isn't subtle. His aggression might be of the, "I'll punch your lights out!" variety.

Saturn shows where and how we feel frustrated and inadequate; but with attention to Saturn's lessons of frugality, hard work, patience, &c it can give us tremendous strengths of self-discipline. So actually Mars plus Saturn could be a good combination for a professional athlete who needs raw talent, but who also needs hours of practice and discipline. Saturn rules old age and decay.

If you read my longer posts on pp. 3-4, I've tried to explain Pluto in a way that distinguishes it from Saturn and Mars. But briefly, neither Saturn or Mars are into a transformation of one's self or society. A dysfunctional Pluto is a lot more underhanded and scheming than Mars, and lacks the not-good-enough feeling of Saturn.

In my yesterday's list of Plutonian people and events, I gave the example of Elizabeth Smart. She made a splash in the news as a young teenager, when she was abducted from her home by a mentally ill man who kept her a prisoner and repeatedly raped her. She was finally able to free herself, and eventually face this man in court, where he was convicted. Today she runs a foundation dedicated to helping victims of kidnapping, imprisonment, and sexual abuse. Very transformative. http://elizabethsmartfoundation.org/

The thing about transformation is that oftentimes "they way out is the way through." Something has to metaphorically decay and die for something new and better to take it's place. But this isn't a simplistic "Aries is to Spring as Capricorn is to Winter" schema. With transformation, the new event of more mature person is significantly more aware, or more powerful. With Plutonian events like the nuclear bomb dropped on Hiroshima, society can never undo its terrible power unleashed on humanity. But we can try to use nuclear power for positive good, such as nuclear medicine dedicated to saving lives.

I sometimes wonder if people who don't think Pluto makes a difference in horoscope interpretation simply gave up on it too early in their studies. Ditto for Uranus and Neptune.

Last edited:

astralrabbit

Account Closed
The thing about transformation is that oftentimes "they way out is the way through." Something has to metaphorically decay and die for something new and better to take it's place. But this isn't a simplistic "Aries is to Spring as Capricorn is to Winter" schema. With transformation, the new event of more mature person is significantly more aware, or more powerful.

I sometimes wonder if people who don't think Pluto makes a difference in horoscope interpretation simply gave up on it too early in their studies. Ditto for Uranus and Neptune.

I sometimes have a hard time grasping how one can not see the relevance or the actual energy in action that correlates with the essence of these planets. However, all of my inner planets are affected by the outer planetary bodies with Uranus being my personal planet, so I know first hand how they play out with in me. Pluto, I most certainly recognize and is one of the first planets that I look for in all charts. It has a very intense signature whether it be by transit, solar arc, or progression. or transiting Pluto affecting a progressed planet. For me I can not simply see how to explain all of the events in my life without using the outer planets at all. I can not even see how to leave them out of the natal interpretation...I just can't. even in Horary...I see their effect quite beautifully, so.... to those who offer guidance without there use; I wonder; do you look at a person and only see the flesh, the eyes, the nails, the hair....Do you know that there is something more that the eyes do not see? Muscle, Bone, sinew........energy...soul....
We have stared at the heavens for as long as breath has been granted to our race, always knowing that there is something more that explains what the eye can not see.

In my chart; If I were to only see venus sitting in the 8th descending into the 7th / the western horizon, I could not explain the very depths of love that I am capable of within all of my relationships. How I am able to reach inside of another and show them who they are and accept them with love. I could not explain this feeling of what I am willing to do to enact what I feel is just for me and for those that I love with out Pluto's involvement. The pain that I feel as the planet transits now even is something much more intense than the energy of mars or saturn combined. It offers something much more in depth, then being cut with a blade or smashed by a stone. It is like a burn that travels to the bone. It feels like ice. It renders me speechless at times and I witness the change through all of this pain on such a level that is purely intimate with death. When I have looked at my chart and others with out the outer planets and have put forth an honest effort to delineate in a traditional sense, I just don't see how any other planetary combination can combine to create the same sense of energy that pluto or the other planets do. So; can any "traditional" astrologers provide an intimate look that is effective in description that can truly mirror the intensity that I have reflected here?

unique_astrology

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=494435&postcount=1

Farah Fawcett passed away on June 25, 2009 shortly before 9:30 AM local time in Santa Monica, California.

Was it Jupiter sextile her Venus, or it's nasty square to her Jupiter that signaled her death? Maybe it was the Sun conjunct her Moon? Or could it have been dangerous Mercury's trine to her Sun? I can't leave out the hard opposition of the Moon to her Sun, even though it occurs every month. Such a plethora of tight orbed aspects but none of them or any others in the charts as tight as transit Pluto conjunct the natal Descendant within 2 minutes of arc, whether they are measured in longitude or right ascension.

And where were transit Mars and Saturn at the time?

Attachments

• FF Trad.gif
    FF Trad.gif
    21.8 KB · Views: 30

piercethevale

I actually did comment. I see the influence of Pluto but I disagree with a lot of what the modern interpretations say about what that influence actually is. That's why I said the notion to see Pluto as just a mixture of Mars and Saturn is interesting but not actually valid. I can see, however, how folks can come to that conclusion after reading the usual modern cook books. So in that sense, I can understand the traditionalists and appreciate your (plural 'you') comments. Current definitions of Pluto in astrology are not very satisfying. Point taken. To then say that Pluto is irrelevant and doesn't have anything to add because it doesn't fit into the tried and tested models is a rather bold statement, especially since no one here knows with absolute certainty why astrology actually works (myself included), we all just know how it works, and Pluto (and the other outer planets) force us to rethink our model and approach. With the emergence of the electric universe model, the old cosmological models seem to be outdated now, and with it the old astrological models. So, there's a lot of research and development to do.

Well said, but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.
There's somethings correct with the current beliefs pertaining to Pluto.
At least two Astrological Parts utilizing the Ascendant have been given rather appropriate titles of influence. {How anyone figured those out prior to the internet, computer ephemeri that can cast a chart in seconds instead of the hours it used to take and with assured accuracy, internet astrological forums, such as AW's right here, where-in one can share results, findings, observations and opinions with other Astrologers in numbers even in the hundreds in a single day, is quite amazing, to me anyways.}

The Part of Libido which is derived from the formula Asc. + Pluto - Venus, has been revealing itself to be rather appropriate...although I believe the "Part" in question to be somewhat more than just that.

I find it to be about self gratification of such degree that one takes no thought as to anyone elses' interests or consideration as to their feelings or even repercussions if the desired has become a fixation.
Thus with only just that much about said 'Part" being satisfactorily accepted a few members of this forum, along with my self, were able to hypothesize what the opposite formula, i.e. Asc. + Venus - Pluto, represents.

We've tested this to about a couple of dozen natal charts to date and have yet to see one result that gave me any reason to doubt the theory is correct.
That particular formula for an Astrological part was titled the "Part of Influence". What we hypothesized is that while the other formula produces a point on the natal horoscope is about self gratification at someone else's expense, the opposite formula produces a point that is about "Self Sacrifice" even 'Martyrdom'.
We have had only positive results with this theory so far.

Just because it is small doesn't mean it has no weight of influence. As it sits on a single degree of the Zodiac for an average of 248 days a year it is of indomitable will. Yet I also believe it is imbued with a powerful influence that is independent of it's orbital positioning.

Also, I found the two author/astrologers Sakoian and Acker to be highly accurate in their description of the natal aspect of Pluto conjunct the Ascendant in their "Astrologer's Handbook" and as to date, as near as I can tel that is also true as to their assessment of Pluto conjunct the mid haven, as well. ...and not to mention most of the other aspects Pluto has in effect with the other eight planets, the Luminaries and the Moons' Nodes, that is those that I have personally and those that I've been able to find in other folks natal horoscopes that show Pluto is of affect upon them to begin with.
As I stated earlier not everyone is affected by all the planets.

Last edited:

piercethevale

Farah Fawcett passed away on June 25, 2009 shortly before 9:30 AM local time in Santa Monica, California.

Was it Jupiter sextile her Venus, or it's nasty square to her Jupiter that signaled her death? Maybe it was the Sun conjunct her Moon? Or could it have been dangerous Mercury's trine to her Sun? I can't leave out the hard opposition of the Moon to her Sun, even though it occurs every month. Such a plethora of tight orbed aspects but none of them or any others in the charts as tight as transit Pluto conjunct the natal Descendant within 2 minutes of arc, whether they are measured in longitude or right ascension.

You can determine your date of death and cause by utilizing the app found at this link. :surprised: http://www.hukkubandar.com/dapp/

That is if you aren't fearful to know of which.:wink:

Konrad

Account Closed
Konrad, since this hospital record does not appear to have been rounded, I think it's pretty close. This person definitely comes across to me as Sagittarius rising. He got married in late September, 2007-- I think the 29th or 30th.

Waybread, a few minutes difference would change the sign, and no offence, but your definition of Sagittarius rising would be different to mine. I can't do any rectification so the dates are not of use.

Konrad

Account Closed

[deleted/modified attacking comments - Moderator] Don't use transits alone to time things. Here is my explanation of Fawcett's death:

Moon is Hyleg, Jupiter Alcocoden. Valens states that the bounds of the malefics and, via its role as Alcocoden, Jupiter can kill the native. Doubly so since Jupiter rules the setting sign. Signs of death are planets in the 8th, and the 8th from Fortune. Fortune in Capricorn, 8th from Fortune is Leo. Sun in Leo conjoined Fortune and in the 8th sign seems pertinent. Its opposition to Saturn should be noted.

At the time of death, the lord of the directed Hyleg was Jupiter/Leo partnered by Venus. The annual profection had moved into Leo. In the Solar Revolution (see chart at the end of the post), Jupiter was transiting Capricorn, in fall and in the 8th sign. The Sun was returning to the 8th sign in conjunction with this Jupiter. Saturn was transiting Leo, and this without the aspect of a benefic. So to sum up, we have the larger time-lord and the smaller (bound lord of directed Hyleg and lord of the annual profection) transiting the 8th sign. We have lord of the natal 8th, Saturn, transiting the sign of the annual profection which itself is unprotected by benefics.

At the time of death, the native moved into a Sagittarius monthly profection thus bringing forth Jupiter's significations that month (death). 9 days before the death, Jupiter stationed in the sign opposed to the annual profection (stakes of the sign of the profected ASC are important for timing) and also opposed to the current bounds of the directed Hyleg (Jupiter/Leo). The daily profection on the morning of the 25 of June 2009 was in Leo with transiting Saturn.

If one understands the seven visible planets and applies them logically, life events become easier to see. Transits become important in showing when happenings already foretold by the governing time-lords will manifest. Even then, as Fawcett's chart shows, tight degree aspects are not always necessary and planet-to-planet aspects are not either.

fawcett.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Monk

Premium Member
It must be noted that i follow mundane astrology, so can be rusty with birth charts, but i love Robert Hand, and always follow his links to mundane astrology, as an overall astrologer i find him the best, for fixed stars i follow Bernadette Brady!

With the Ingress Charts above, i find the Washington Chart fascinating regarding the Ukrainian Crises, tap on chart on previous link thread section to make larger.

Robert Hand uses Pluto in mundane astrology, and JupiterAsc will be interested in the parans regarding Washington DC , as Jupiter and Alnilam, Belt of Orion are rising at location at 12:53:06.

Obviously different ways to value mundane astrology, but Robert Hand wouldn't have come by insight by not using Pluto!

Monk

Premium Member
When you buy a programme, you must keep up with Summer time changes, Brady's Starlight i bought before 2007, when USA changed Summer Time, link below:-

http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.co.uk/daylight-saving-time/usa/dst-2007.htm

Thus as Robert Hands Chart shows 12:57:06 for Washington DC, my chart shows 11:57:06, i hope it is obvious for hour difference, fixed star chart on private members download, showing Alnilam rising with Jupiter at location:-

Attachments

• picture 1 35%.jpg
    picture 1 35%.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: