Year associated with a Planet

Ralph

My question is mainly for the professional astrologers:

Is anyone aware of the concept of a western standard calendar year being ruled by a specific planet?

I have read several astrology books without finding anything on this, nor does anything appear to be on the web about it.

However, when I was young I heard my late mother refer to a year as a "Mars" year, or another as a "Jupiter" year. I should add that my mother was German, while my reading has been in English language sources. Maybe this is a system not usually referred to in English/US astrology.

CapAquaPis

Numerology has some validation in astrology, a number can be associated with a planet rule over a zodiac sign or a birthday. Whoever is born on the 1st of the month has the Sun, the 2nd of the month the Moon, and the remaining number 3-10 represent a planet for each birthdate combined with their zodiac sun sign. This may work for years, like for examples 1980 or 81 depending on versions you follow is a "sun year"-number 1, while 1981 or 82 a "moon year"-number 2, and the remainder of the decade, each year under the influence of a planet.

Ralph

Thank you for your reply, CapAquaPis. That would give us the 9 main planets to use: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, and Uranus, leaving out Pluto, which is a fairly recent discovery.

Unfortunately I can't remember any specific years discussed; I had the tendency to regard anything my parents said as nonsense.

Ralph

Thanks, conspiracy theorist.

While a dawr is a lot longer than the one year reference I was hoping someone may have read about, it certainly makes for fascinating reading.

Osamenor

Staff member
My question is mainly for the professional astrologers:

Is anyone aware of the concept of a western standard calendar year being ruled by a specific planet?

I have read several astrology books without finding anything on this, nor does anything appear to be on the web about it.

However, when I was young I heard my late mother refer to a year as a "Mars" year, or another as a "Jupiter" year. I should add that my mother was German, while my reading has been in English language sources. Maybe this is a system not usually referred to in English/US astrology.

Are you talking about calendar years, or personal years? Were the Mars years, Jupiter years, etc. that your mother referred to the year that started on January 1st, or was she referring to her own year that started on her birthday (or yours, or someone else's)?

The first thing that comes to my mind is that she could have been talking about profection. That's a traditional astrological technique that determines which planet(s) is activated for you when (in traditional astrology, your natal planets are not activated all the time). In profection, your ascendant is considered to move one sign every year, with the cycle repeating every 12 years--so on every birthday when your age is a multiple of 12, it returns to your natal rising sign.

The ruler of that sign is your time lord for the year. If your profection for this year puts Aries or Scorpio on your ascendant, it would be a Mars year for you. If Sagittarius or Pisces is, it's a Jupiter year. And so on. Planets are also activated by profection when the sign they're in is your profected rising sign, although if they're not domiciled, they're not the time lord for the year. Example: this year is a sixth house profection year for me. The sixth sign from my ascendant is Gemini, and I have Mars there. So, while Mercury is my time lord for this year, Mars is also active.

Frisiangal

Hi,
Could your mother have been referring to profection and the profected years, yet which would be different for individuals, according to their Ascending sign at birth?
It's a method that gives each year after birth rulership of another planet, the so-called Year Lord, beginning with the ruler of the Ascendant from 0-1 year. 1st-2nd year would be under rulership of following sign....or house????...., etc., meaning that the same planet is 'year ruler' every 12 years.

I haven't studied or worked with them sufficiently to offer any convincing practical experience of their influence. Yet, personally just looking back over the years , therehave been important situations which could correspond to the Year Lord.
E.g.
meeting my foreign husband when Year Lord would have been ruler of sign on 9th house.
The following year I moved abroad where my first job was handling the foreign correspondence for an international magazine. Year Lord ruler 10th house in Gemini.
That said, I do have natal Venus-Mercury in 9th.

I was in my 36-37th year when I was led into astrology via a book in the local library. Year Lord would be Ascendant ruler; again Mercury....in the 9th house.
The year I resigned from a job for what turned out to be for good (tr. Pluto into 4th house), Year Lord was ruler of 6th house; either Saturn or Uranus. This is interesting because although I had tended resignation after almost 7 (Uranus) years, I left suddenly by walking out when I discovered that the firm had been lying to me. Transit Uranus in 6th house retrograde square 9th house Mercury at the time.

Interesting, hé?

I don't know if the position of the Year Lord for the year in question is relative to its natal or transiting position. Progressions might also count?

:smile:

Ralph

I am sure we are not dealing with anything as sophisticated as profection.

My mother did not calculate personal charts (and in the 1950's there were no computers), and I don't believe she read books on astrology, but must have gotten her views by word of mouth from astrologers unknown.

We are discussing ordinary calendar years beginning on Jan. 1.

For a long time I ignored this concept because it did not match anything in the literature I saw. But it bothered me now and then, and I'm thinking there must be a source for it; most likely books from the first half of the 20th century or earlier, and possibly in languages other than English.