Is my father's death in my chart?

Peregrine_Moon

I'm trying to learn how to read transits, progressions and solar arcs. I get completely muddled, having no idea how to interpret them or what significance to give to them.

My father died when I was 8, going on 9 years old, and that was a long time ago. Is his death in my chart? I'm posting the chart for the date of his death. Progressions and transits are on the first one, progressions and solar arcs on the second one (because astro.com doesn't provide the SA any other way).

My computer program gives all of the midpoints. There are a lot of very pleasant conjunctions, squares, sesquiquadrates and oppositions in the mix. But there are also these Solar Arc contacts:

• SA Sun=Saturn/Pluto
  • SA Saturn=Pluto/N. Node
  • SA Pluto=Sun/Saturn
Those contacts are all about threats of loss, separation and the end of relationships.

I also have transiting Saturn square natal Moon that day and the Moon rules my 8th house.

Maybe it's just the little child in me who wants to find something more, something very big and dramatic and scary, in my chart for what was, after all, the most profoundly affecting event of my life until my first child was born. That would make a lot of sense, I suppose.

Is there something I'm not seeing in these charts?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 23May1968.gif
    23May1968.gif
    66.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 23May1968--SA&Prog.gif
    23May1968--SA&Prog.gif
    71.9 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Kannon

Because you have a daytime chart your father is represented in the IC/4th and its ruler. However, sometimes it doesn't show up in longitude, but in declination.

Peregrine_Moon

Okay... I've had a look at the declinations for the ruler(s) of my MC/IC, which are Mercury, Saturn and Neptune and I've looked at the declination for the MC/IC itself.

There are no contacts by transit or progression with the MC/IC and no transits affect the planets, either

But SP Saturn conjuncts natal Saturn and SP Neptune conjuncts natal Neptune.

I'd overlooked the fact that, by solar arc, Saturn squares the MC/IC.

So it looks like Saturn and Neptune are both reinforced by progression; Saturn makes the solar arc to the MC/IC, and my father dies.

Does this seem correct to anyone else?

Thanks for helping me with this!

Spica

“Is there something I'm not seeing in these charts?” – yes I think so. Saturn is the first planet that your directed Ascendant will contact and for day births it is them main significator of one’s father.

Your chart is very nearly correct as your calculated Ascendant directs to Saturn when you were 6 years 10 months.

However, you know for a fact that he died when you were 8 years - nearly 9. How do we account for this discrepancy? Well, the only variable is your time of birth - it must be slightly off. So what you need to do is rectify your chart - something astrologers in early, wiser times did religiously, knowing that otherwise the natal chart will NOT yield exact dates of events.

In astrological theory the first rule is to test the natal chart for its accuracy. One quick way is to use solar arc directions for all important events in the life. Why? - because the Sun is by far the most powerful of the planets and its keyword is IMPORTANT.

Solar arc directions are absolutely reliable as long as the data supplied is reliable. If you don't believe me, read up on solar arcs from Noel Tyl, his work on this subject is very thorough. Using solar arcs of up to approx. 90 degrees between your natal planets and angles, you can map all events in the native's life that are important to him or someone in his circle.

This is the most powerful tool in astrological forecasting. But there are many rules associated with determining what are the planets signifying people in your life and learning these can be difficult because they are derived from ancient astrology particularly in the Hellenistic period and often a point of argument in discussions on astrology blogs.

In your case you have a diurnal chart which means that Saturn is the significator of the father and correspondingly the Moon is the significator of the mother. Births and deaths, changes of location, etc. are shown by directions of the Ascendant. So you see it is very easy at first glance at your nearly perfect natal chart for an astrologer to recognise an event.

To rectify your chart, establish the exact date of death and determine the time interval from your date of birth using a table of solar arcs. This interval is in an exact number of degrees and minutes. With practice you can do this in your head. Then take the zodiacal longitude of Saturn and subtract the solar arc in degrees and minutes – and this is your rectified Ascendant!!

From what you have said in your post, the rectified Ascendant would seem to be the equivalent of about 2 years prior to your supplied time of birth i.e. approx. 8 minutes earlier and the Rectified Ascendant would be approx. 10-11 Sagittarius – definitely not 12 Sagittarius as shown on your supplied chart.

As to the solar arc midpoints, I would give a somewhat more specific interpretation. The first one is clearly a developing ego about to hit a tragic change to her life. The second one describes the daily reality of your situation where your father is suffering from a dangerous illness that will progress to death – I think it was expected. And third one indicates that this was a tragedy for you which you must learn to accept as a serious life-lesson.

Lastly, I suggest the following guidelines to stop yourself getting muddled in the intricacies of forecasting: -

Directions (which are usually based on solar arcs using a general formula of 1 degree = 1 year) reflect EXTERNAL important events and milestones in a person’s life and are generally easy to read.

Progressions (which is based on lunar motion using the general formula of 1 day = 1 year of life) reflect the native’s own inner development and show where the person has evolved to. Sometimes referred to as MAJOR or SECONDARY Progressions compared to MINOR Progressions (1 month = 1 year of life) and TERTIARY progressions (1 day = 1 month of life). The events can be external or internal and are initiated or reacted to by the native. It shows how the native is interacting behaviourally as well as psychologically at this stage of his life – how well or otherwise he is coping with his world.

It is for this reason that progressed charts are greatly valued by counselling astrologers as they show the native’s current perspective and any dilemmas he needs to cope with.

Transits (which is the planetary movements in today’s ephemeris applied to any radical chart – natal, directed or progressed) show the changing environment in the form of outside political and/or social developments as well as outsiders who impact on your social circle of life. Major transits in particular like major planets (Jupiter and outwards) as well as lunations and eclipses will act as triggers or timing devices for significant events in radical charts.

Hope this clarifies.

Spica

Last edited:

Peregrine_Moon

Spica, I appreciate your attempt to help me but I'm afraid I don't understand why you think my chart needs to be rectified or why you think my ASC is wrong.

I was born at 2:11 p.m. on August 24, 1958 in Oklahoma City, OK. The state of Oklahoma had not adopted Daylight Saving Time. My birth time is recorded on my birth certificate and I was born by Caesarean section for which my mother was wide awake after a long, unproductive labour. My mother always focused on time; she couldn't bear to be without a wrist watch for even an hour. She said that she only agreed to have the C-section--and so to give up her watch--when she was assured that she would be able to see the clock in the operating room. She noted the time I was born and the OR nurse recorded it on the hospital chart, too. I take these together to be reliable. She was a Virgo, too, by the way, and details mattered as much to her as they do to me.

Even so, it's possible that the clock was wrong, I suppose.

I hadn't known that, to find out about my chart's reference to my father's death, I needed to look for angular aspects to my natal Saturn. I understand that now, and it does make sense!

My natal ASC is at 12 Sag 20' 05". Saturn is at 19 Sag 04' 22". The Solar Arc between my birthday and the day my father died is 8° 27' which, added to the ASC is 20° 47', bringing the SA ASC into conjunction with Saturn.

I also see that, on the chart with both the Secondary Progressions and the Solar Arc places, the SP ASC moves to 19° 10' which is exactly conjunct Saturn, but for 5 minutes.

Do I have this right? (I don't understand why you've recommended subtracting the SA from the ASC when the arc moves anti-clockwise around the chart.)

I must say that I feel quite relieved to have learned about arcing the ASC to Saturn tonight!

Thank you for your recommendation of Noel Tyl's Solar Arcs. I have a copy of it, in fact, though I can't claim to have read it at all closely. His chapter on rectifications is, frankly, a bit ponderous and difficult. I love Noel Tyl and have learned an enormous amount from him but I would have liked him to set out how to rectify a chart in a briefer, point-by-point outline. His description of how he rectified Hillary's horoscope is convoluted, particularly when one is just trying to get the basic information! I've just checked his Synthesis & Counseling in Astrology, which I purchased recently, and find his description of rectification there to be clearer.

Spica

Spica, I appreciate your attempt to help me but I'm afraid I don't understand why you think my chart needs to be rectified or why you think my ASC is wrong.

I was born at 2:11 p.m. on August 24, 1958 in Oklahoma City, OK. The state of Oklahoma had not adopted Daylight Saving Time. My birth time is recorded on my birth certificate and I was born by Caesarean section for which my mother was wide awake after a long, unproductive labour. My mother always focused on time; she couldn't bear to be without a wrist watch for even an hour. She said that she only agreed to have the C-section--and so to give up her watch--when she was assured that she would be able to see the clock in the operating room. She noted the time I was born and the OR nurse recorded it on the hospital chart, too. I take these together to be reliable. She was a Virgo, too, by the way, and details mattered as much to her as they do to me.

Okay, I do understand your resistance to the process of rectification. Not everyone is equipped to deal with it. However, as an astrologer you should have established the act of birth on which your time of 2:11 p.m. is based. Was it when you first emerged from your mother? Or the first time you took a breath, or the first time you made an independent movement, or the first time you made a sound, or the first time your umbilical cord was severed? I could go on.

The truth is that Astrology 101 says human birth time is valid when the baby makes its first act independent of the mother. But no-one has yet established which act of the baby is decisive! Could it be that the removal of the baby from the mother is the trigger?

And in your particular case where both mother and OR nurse were agreeing on a time of birth in an admittedly very precise Virgoan manner, under almost scientific conditions, this makes your case very interesting.

Please let me know if your mother ever told you what was the particular event of birth that both your mother and the OR nurse had based this birth time on. I really want to know!!

Even so, it's possible that the clock was wrong, I suppose.

That is a very generous admission – the accuracy of the clock(s) involved is always an issue.

But what I am trying to impress on you is that ultimately birth time has to be derived from testing the natal chart – whether it is based on an actual and particular birth event or whether some other more esoteric factor occurs that will later empower the natal chart to yield accurate event data about the native.

I hadn't known that, to find out about my chart's reference to my father's death, I needed to look for angular aspects to my natal Saturn. I understand that now, and it does make sense!

Yes, you grasp it. The only way to rectify a natal chart is the use of the Angles, notably the Ascendant and/or the MC [there are rules which tell us which one to use], because they are based entirely on time and space.

For determining the events of birth and death we always use the Ascendant. There are many more rules to guide you in using directions.

My natal ASC is at 12 Sag 20' 05". Saturn is at 19 Sag 04' 22". The Solar Arc between my birthday and the day my father died is 8° 27' which, added to the ASC is 20° 47', bringing the SA ASC into conjunction with Saturn.

No, no – the Ascendant has most definitely NOT conjoined natal Saturn - it has overshot Saturn by 1 degree 43 minutes of arc. Such an arc could not even trigger an event at the stated time.

Perhaps I did not explain this to you clearly the first time. Let me try again now. Every forecasting technique whether it be directions, progressions or transits has its limits of effectiveness. In the case of secondary progressions these are effective only within the space of 1 degree and thirty seconds – although some astrologers may disagree on the exact limit.

You are obviously acquainted with the use of secondary progressions and are used to seeing charts associated with events based on timing within about 1-2 degrees. Many of those charts are inaccurate because a secondary progression cannot operate with an arc of more than 90 minutes away from the radical significator.

From the point of view of other forecasting techniques this 90 minute leeway is a big window of opportunity but it is also too big to rectify birth time.

In the case of directions theory says the limit of effectiveness is plus or minus 1 minute of arc. That is when we use the measure of exact calculated solar arc for any event taken directly from ephemeris. However, in practice where we are using the averaged solar arc of 59 minutes, astrologers use 5 min. of arc as the orb of effectiveness. This is slightly sloppy but it works in practice and allows faster mental calculations, with the advantage that as you become familiar with directions you can visually spot them on a chart, rather than having to depend on a computer to do that for you.

I also see that, on the chart with both the Secondary Progressions and the Solar Arc places, the SP ASC moves to 19° 10' which is exactly conjunct Saturn, but for 5 minutes.

Do I have this right?

No, it is not the Secondary Progressed Ascendant that moves to 19-10 – it is the Progressed Saturn which moves only 5 minutes of arc from its natal position. This is not significant even in secondary progessions.

The Secondary Progressed (SP) Asc. is shown in red on the outer circle and is at 21 Aqu 43. It is past conjunction with natal Chiron – but if your chart were rectified it would be activated at your dad’s death, showing how deeply wounded you felt like the loss of your best friend.

(I don't understand why you've recommended subtracting the SA from the ASC when the arc moves anti-clockwise around the chart.)

As your rectified birth time is slightly before your recorded birth time, you move back along the zodiac from the fixed point of the event which is natal Saturn at 19 Sag 06. As I said very clearly “take the zodiacal longitude of Saturn and subtract the solar arc [of the death date] in degrees and minutes”. Let me demonstrate.

Death date of father = 23 May 1967
Your birth date = 24 Aug. 1958
Age at the event = 8y-9m
Solar arc of event = 8 d-38 m

Significator of event = Saturn 19 Sag 06
SUBTRACT solar arc of event from Significator of event = 10 Sag 24

This is your Rectified Ascendant 10 Sag 24 which gives you an MC of 25 Vir 11 and a birth time of 2:02 p.m.

I must say that I feel quite relieved to have learned about arcing the ASC to Saturn tonight!

Thank you for your recommendation of Noel Tyl's Solar Arcs. I have a copy of it, in fact, though I can't claim to have read it at all closely. His chapter on rectifications is, frankly, a bit ponderous and difficult. I love Noel Tyl and have learned an enormous amount from him but I would have liked him to set out how to rectify a chart in a briefer, point-by-point outline. His description of how he rectified Hillary's horoscope is convoluted, particularly when one is just trying to get the basic information! I've just checked his Synthesis & Counseling in Astrology, which I purchased recently, and find his description of rectification there to be clearer.

Sorry you find Noel Tyl a little thick. Personally, I think his stuff on solar arcs is amongst is his best work. If Tyl can be criticised it is however largely because of his overly-dramatized presentations, his excessive wordiness and a tendency to re-invent long-established astrological terms to fit his own mindset. His version of astro psychology is not my cup of tea. But I find his astrological reasoning very sound.
For this reason I also loved his work on rectification. His work Astrology of the Famed is a modern classic – entertainingly written for once and his astrological deductions of his subjects were fascinating as the basis for rectifying their natal charts.
This is how I got started in rectification.

Cheers

Spica