Modality and Dignity of the Angles?

Howl

I've been thinking about the Angles, and have hatched some questions which I would love to hear your opinion on.

Firstly, why is the Ascendant given more attention than the others? The Midheaven is also considered, and sometimes also the Descendant, but I struggle to find much about Nadir, the IC. Are they not intrinsically of equal weight?

Secondly, does the modality of one's angles contribute significantly to the overall energy of one's chart? For example, the majority of people with a cardinal sign rising, like myself, have cardinal signs on all of the angles. What does it mean to have cardinal angles? What do I have in common with the Arian, Libran and Capricornian Ascendants who also have all cardinal angles? What differs between those of us with cardinal angles and those of us with fixed, or mutable angles? In horary astrology, the modality of angles tells us something about timing and nature of the question. Can it offer a similar thematic overview in natal astrology? What about the people who have one axis in a different modality to the other? My twin brother, for example, has his MC/IC in fixed signs, and I consider him to be considerably more "fixed" in nature than I am, despite almost identical placements otherwise. What does the modality of one's angles say in natal astrology?

Lastly, can the angles be dignified or debilitated? If the Ascendant is naturally ruled by Mars, is it possible that a Libran ascendant is debilitated? Could a Leo ascendant be exalted? Similarly, is a Capricornian IC debilitated, and an Arian MC exalted?

Ok, any answers, twinges, further questions, uncertainties or ideas invited :)

Howl

Okay, were these silly questions, have I missed something obvious, has everyone already thought about this, did I ask too many questions at once, or is the topic just boring?!

Over 70 views and no response means there's something wrong with my questions :D

wilsontc

Staff member
opinion, to Howl

Howl,

I will go with..."I ask too many questions at once"! ;) However, since you really want an opinion I will give you my thoughts on the questions I can answer.

The Nadir IS important and can easily be calculated from the aspects made to the Midheaven. for example, aspects conjunct the Midheaven are opposite the nadir, aspects trine the midheaven are sextile the Nadir, aspects square the Midheaven are also square the Nadir, etc.

The sign on the Ascendant (self), Nadir (inner world), Descendant (others), and Midheaven (outer world) are important in the chart as well. If they are all in cardinal (i.e., "Action" signs, for more information about "Action" in a chart, see step 5 in the link below), then the person will tend to be active in how they handle theirself, their inner world, others, and the outer world. Since these points in the chart indicate focuses of energy but not the energy itself, planets (i.e., energy) aspecting these points indicate how this energy works for the person, rather than simply looking at the points themselves.

Since these are four points in a chart and not energy, I don't think of them in terms of ruler, detriment, exalted, fall the way I do of planets.

Answering some questions,

Tim

He he he :D Don't you just love it when you think of a good thread, spend your time writing up your question. You think it's a really interesting topic and........ it goes down like a lead balloon.

Although I had read something on your question relating to the Angles and I can't find what it was. (You know my memory is shot! Howl :D ). If I ever find it again I will post it for you.

P.S Howl, Your just way ahead of your time. ;)

Shining Ray

Howl

Heheh, you guys are too kind :) thanks for humouring me :D

Actually Ray, I think the problem was that I didn't spend any time thinking through my questions, I just splurted them out. Well, now I have some feedback to bounce my ideas off. Thanks Tim!

One of the things that made me wonder about this topic is that I can find interpretations for planets "opposition MC", where as in my mind, it's more accurate to say "conjunct IC". The opposition interpretations tend to focus on challenges to "professional" life from heavy energies in "home" life. One interpretation says that people with many oppositions to MC are unlikely to receive the recognition that they may deserve. I don't agree :)! Nadir isn't just the opposite of the top of your chart, its a valid point of its own! It's an angle, and planets on any of the angles are strong (So say Jupiter, and Pluto, both conjunct my Nadir...)

"The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven" - John Milton

Over and out, from the Nadir crusader ;)

Last edited: