Astrology for All - Discussion Board

pwadm

Staff member
Re: astrology for all

Hi Manuu

Great posts, ideas and observations. Also, thank you for the kind words about this forum.

It seems that you described very well the objectives and means of this forum:
to provide a feel of astrology to as many people as possible and to spread the popularity and acceptance of astrology and to form a network of astrologically minded people arround the globe

our aim should be not to just convert the members into large storehouses of astro data, but to help members to become effective in the practical use of this science.

This is why members who share their point of view on a chart, they usually explain thoroughfully how they consider astrologically the respective chart as a whole. It is well known that the best way to teach is by personal example.

The great number of boards, each for a specific branch of astrology, is designed to support learning by allowing browsing related threads.

I don't know if it is possible for an online community to raise astrologers, given that without interest, study effort and talent, it is not possible improve one's knowledge. There are several things to consider about our community: members have different cultural backgrounds, different approaches to astrology and its branches, different experience and theoretical knowledge, different personal objectives for the study of astrology. Each member has its own pace of study and also its own availability to contribute to this forum.

I would very much like to see this forum develop further, offer a better service and conditions to members. Help me by suggesting further steps, identifying weak points and corrective measures. Thank you.

Cassie Priam

Re: astrology for all

I think that this is a good discussion about the practice
of astrology. I have given the subject much thought. Astrology
is really a very complicated process involving many diverse
skills and abilities.

There seem to be three basic steps:

1. Technical
Gathering accurate data (casting the chart correctly and
accurately identifying the important information contained in
the chart). This involves taking the chart apart to some extent,
piece by piece, and identifying the meaning of each piece.

2. Synthesis and Integration
Putting the chart back together into a meaningful whole.
Identifying important themes and issues in the chart. What
is this chart really telling us about the client.

3. Communicating the information to the client.
And doing so in a way that is meaningful, respectful, ethical
and helpful.

(I also tend to favor a more collaborative and interactive
stye. )

And yes I think the point is well taken from manuu that
while there are many good chart technicians out there,
there has to be a strong theoretical base, an understanding
of what it all means. This involves going back and forth between
the micro and macro level of the chart. You have to have the theory
as well as the technical skills.

Being an astrologer involves many diverse skills and talents.
Good technical, math, geometry skills. Good abstract reasoning
ability to synthesize and integrate. And the good people and
communication skills to be able to relay it all to a client. I think
that there are many very good astrologers who are technically
proficient and can integrate data well, but do not know how to
communicate with clients. Most clients cannot understand the
highly esoteric and technical astrology language, so we have to
translate it into every day practical terms.

I keep thinking that in my next life, in the future, astrology will
be a legitimate field of study and university programs will be
offer degrees in the field, undergrad and grad degrees offered.

Last edited:

Cassie Priam

Beware of cookbook astrology

Manuu, again I think you raise important points.

You are so right, cookbook astrology should not be the training goal. Students should be cautioned against that approach. But yes in the initial learning phases a student has to break down the chart and study it piece by piece. But at some point they have to put the chart back together ! And that is difficult for many.

Also then at some point you have to communicate all of this to the client, and that is also a difficult task. I feel strongly that charts are about people, the chart is a symbolic representation of a person, a live human being. And the data has to be evaluated in that context as well.

I see astrology as a tool to help people. (But that is my Vir Asc and loaded H6 talking). I do understand that it is important to have more academic/research oriented astrologers, but my focus is about more about helping people grow and evolve and how to use astrology to do that.

And I think that no matter what the philosophical approach or specialty area it is important to discuss these training issues.

Last edited:

Cassie Priam

Manuu,

Right you are! The chart is the person. And we can never forget that. But we are not alone in forgetting this. Physicians can tend to see patients as just a gall bladder, or just the lab reports. And forget that all the data has to be evaluated in the context of the person.

I tend to be more client oriented, more humanistic in my practice. And yes it is very important to present the material in an ethical and responsible way. I try to stick close to the data, and look for themes repeated over and over in the chart, that way I am more confident about the strength of my interpretations. And when I am getting into more speculative material, or intuitive guesses, I am also clear about that with a client. I also try to avoid jargon as most people are not at all familiar with astrological terms.

And yes you are correct also about the cosmic and collective karma that affects the globe and each generation. There are many levels of karma, cosmic, collective, family, group, national, ancestral, generational, etc etc. Individual karma is really at the bottom of the food chain so to speak.

Hi,

Reading through these posts, I must not be considered a very good Astrology student. I am completely hopless with Maths and Geography. No matter how hard I try, I sat Maths twice I'm still hopeless.

When it comes to aspects in the chart I love talking about them, finding out our behaviors, how we relate, how our mind works, or not works in my case. I will read every interpretation going, even if I only find that one line that really connects to me, were my eyes open up and my perspective on my life may suddenly change. This may sound like silly nonsense to most astrologers on the forum, whats wrong with taking the chart and reading it piece by piece.

I go to bed at night and my chart is floating round in my head, and I will be thinking what is this planet all about how does Mercury relate to Neptune for example how do I handle this energy how is it affecting me in my life. My head will whirl with all these symbols, meanings, and energies.

I might not be good at maths, but hey god gave me a computer so there. :p
Why am I so interested in Astrology, I buy books, come on Astrology forums, look for articles new ideas theories on Astrology. I believe it is for a self understanding, to help me learn my lessons here on earth, the soul is looking to go beyond the lower levels of the personality. It gives me hope Astrology guides me.

If I never got into Astrology I would believe I was a lost cause, I may have still believed other people were the cause of my misery. Now I am beginning to understand the energy within me, I have created my life the way it is. I choose how I use my energies. Ultimately I choose my destination.

I enjoy reading the chart bit by bit that is my choice and if I am any less of an astrology student by doing this then so be it. I probably do tend to seperate the chart into relationships, personality, emotions, way of thinking, it all eventually adds up in the end. Sometimes you can look at a chart and see straight away a planet heavily aspected. Heavy planets lying on angles. Yes obviously full houses with lots of planets are significant in a persons life a lot of energy is there.

Again there is spotting themes in charts. Then of course you have to be careful if you say for example a person has no water in their chart but they may have Neptune conjunct sun.

Maybe in time I will develop an instinct, for what to look at in the chart, but in the mean time I am quite happy disecting aspects and eventually putting them all together. I will let the computer do all the hard work for me. Lazy Astrologer aren't I. I study astrology probably more for self study so I suppose it doesn't matter.

I find God through astrology, the higher plane, my souls purpose this lifetime. This is why it holds such a strong influence on me.

Don't look to Astrology for answers, look for choices.

Miss S

Last edited:

Cassie Priam

Miss S:

I am talking about the training of professional astrologers who will be working with clients, not about those for whom it is just a hobby, or for personal growth. There is a big difference between the professional and the amateur. Maybe like the difference between someone going to med school to be a physician and someone just studying basic first aid. My comments certainly were not meant to be critical of anyone, and I apologize if you took offense.

I am only a student too, it is just a hobby for me. I never plan to be a professional. I just want to know enough to read my own chart. But I think we should expect more from professional astrologers. As consumers, I think we have an expectation that if we pay for a reading, it must be better than we can do!

And yes, there is nothing wrong with taking the chart apart piece by piece, that is what you are supposed to do. I am still taking my chart apart, God knows when I will be able to put it back together again :). But for people who want to earn their living in astrology, they will need to take it to a higher level.

And like you I am math challenged, that is why there are computers. That is why I will never be a world class astrologer! The technical end is my weak area. The integration, synthesis and communications pieces are better. But again I am just doing this as a hobby, for my own growth.

And by the way, I think everyone should be like you, and know enough astrology to understand their own chart.

I too dream about charts at night, and see things swirling around. I see the chart in 3-D as well, not flat but alive and moving. Everything jumps off the chart like a hologram.

Miss S, your natal chart is a map of your soul DNA, it is from Divinity. And it is the soul plan for your life. It is such a blessing that you are studying it, learning about yourself and your purpose for being here. Do not let any one discourag you, or doubt yourself. You are following your divine purpose when you work on your chart. Many blessings to you.

Cassie
edited for spelling!

Last edited:

Cassie Priam

I think that all of us, amateurs and professionals alike, benefit from Mantuu's comments about the highest level of astrology practice. The extent to which we choose to take his comments to heart depends upon our own personal and professional goals.

Mantuu speaks from deep within his heart, not to criticize others, but to encourage us to be the best we can be. I may never reach the level he talks about, but I can try.

And he is absolutely correct. Astrology is more than aspects and orbs. It is serious and important.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry Cassie I shouldn't have just taken one comment out of context. I shouldn't worry about the Math myself as I only study charts of people close to me and I get adequate information from computers, and even when I didn't have a computer I had the astrologer Russels Grants wheel of how to find the Ascendant and Midheaven, and it was good enough for me then. Although the computer helps now because especially with my sons chart he has his Ascendant at 21 degrees his sun and his pluto are at 21 degrees, so I use the placidus house system now just to place the planets in a house.

I guess I feel like I have been given the key to a great gift. The birth chart is like a map of all your trials, your journey along the path to self discovery. The great Guides in there are Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. Each guide is standing somewhere in our birth chart making contacts with our personal planets, helping show the way towards devlopment. The guides show the path, whether you choose to follow the advice is our choice.

If I take any comments about my mathematical ability, to heart thats my problem. I understand no one is saying if you have no math skill, you shouldn't learn the art of astrology. Computers have been developed with great access to be able to cast a chart and all you need is your date of birth, time of birth, and place you were born, and an open mind. Everybody no matter of ability has the key to explore their chart. You have Astrology forums to explore your ideas find out different techniques, and if there is something I can't understand I ask the question here and get plenty of feedback, and views.

I will try not to take things so personally no promises though ha ha. I might go looking on some other posts see who I can attack there (just kidding).:)

Cassie I love your Astrology, your whole approach, your views I always agree with. I like the karma approach you take to Astrology, the spiritual view. I love the way you stand by what you believe in. You give your time generously to look at peoples charts, you explain yourself clearly, and you never forget there is a soul behind all the placements and aspects in the birth chart, and your main aim is developing the soul. You have a really beautiful way of interpreting this subject. I would never attack you personally I fully stand behind your beliefs. Hey I am a Sun Opposed Saturn don't forget I worry about others judging me. Till my spirit grows, and learns the only person judging me is me.

From the overly sensitive Miss S

Last edited:

Howl

But Miss Saturn, you help me take my chart apart so well! Seriously, I do appreciate the fact that you're always listening, noting, reading, asking, remebering, responding. I can see analysis and communication as clear strengths of yours ;)

Thanks Howl,

I think your honesty about your self is great. You will travel about the forum listening to views, putting your own forward. You are quite the little social butterfly. You are open minded. You keep the interest in a thread going. You will come in and pose questions. You love to learn. You can take a look at the subject from a new angle. You care about other peoples opinions you will ask us on the forum what we think. You like different viewpoints.

Astrology with me It's mad, when you learn about the different aspects and placements, you can see the aspects acting out in your family, friends, partner. You understand people a bit more and you learn the psychology behind the behavior.

To be able to have a deeper understanding of ourselves, why we act the way we do, reasons behind the insecurities, why do we feel hopeless in one area of our life and yet excel elsewhere, we find our strengths and talents and hopefully we can put them to good use in this lifetime. It truly is a great gift.

Miss S

Also Cassie,

I very much appreciated your guidance on my chart. You are a very understanding accepting person, I found it easy to express myself, and explain the difficulties I had in my chart.

You are a positive astrologer, you are not one of those astrologers who just gives a negative description and offers you no oppurtunity for growth. For example I have read such terrible descriptions on Sun Opposed Saturn, like how many obstacles are in my way, how harsh life is how doomed I am in this life.

Thank god there are Astrologers out there who offer positive direction. Spiritual astrology readings. If the negative astrologers ruled, those interested in astrology would feel pretty hopeless with thier afflicted planets.

Miss S

Hi Mannu,

Thank you for the encouragement, I think because I am going through the phase of still putting it all together, It is hard to try and judge the chart as a whole. I will be very excited when I get there and can look at a chart without books and put my own style of interpreation to it. The learning is interesting and hopefully it never ends as more theories and ideas keep coming from Astrologers.

I am always afraid of making mistakes, giving the wrong interpretation to someone. But like you said it is a skill to be learned. I will have to let go of the books at some time and that alone takes confidence to do. I will practice it, let go of my crutch, try even a little interpretation of one aspect, until eventually it is not a conscious effort. I can give my own personal interpretation. I would very much like astrology to become a part of me.

Projection in astrology, I do find, myself included it is easy to blame others, for your problems, it is harder to face yourself and the darker side of the personality. But like you said it can be very dangerous not to be conscious of your own energies as you will project them and they will come right back at you with powerful force. There is no point disowning a part of yourself pretend it is not there, put the blame on others. Owning your energy is vitally important. Chanelling this energy to a more positive source, good for health and most importantly your soul.

I used to think that how can one person on the planet be that significant, if your not a leader or have an important role in life. How can what you do be significant enough to have effect on anyone. I now believe that everyone has a very important role in life. If you are a mother how you raise your children is one of the most important jobs in the world. The love you give. Kind words to someone, a helping hand to someone who needs you, could potentially effect more people than you realize. A warm smile can go a long way to lifting someones day. The person in turn feels good and passes that along to someone else, and so on.

Astrology helps you find your role in this life how to best use your skills and talents. Everyones contribution is vital. When you feel useful, helpful, an important person have something to aim for in life. We will no longer feel angry, sad, frightened, alone we will know our place in the world.

Miss S

I had this strange dream last night, I felt I was looking at the world through a babys eyes. Maybe this is telling me how much I have yet to learn. I will have to look this is up. It had a very powerful feeling to the dream it must be significant.

Well enough of my madness for one day. Imagine living in my head for the day. Believe me you don't want to.

Miss S

Last edited:
Hi Mannu,

Thank you for the advice, I will read more of what you have posted, I haven't really been down to these threads so I haven't read much.

I have been reading through astrology lessons the basics on a site I found. It was helpful, they have just studied the chart of Sylvia Brown the psychic who is always on Montel. Don't know if you have heard of her, but it was interesting to see what the students would come up with on her chart.

The teacher discussed how her sun sign (Libra) was modified by being in the eighth house, and her unique appearance with her long nails ( Aquarious on Ascendant).

I will have to structure my learning if I want to progress, Thanks for the dream information too.

You are generous with your knowledge and it is much appreciated. You are truly helping people to progress in their learning.

Miss S

Cassie Priam

We are having some very good discussions on this thread. Certainly not easy ones, but often times the most productive talk is far from simple.

We all incarnated on Earth to learn and grow. We are all students. This planet is said to be one of the most difficult of all soul schools, but many seek incarnations here because it produces tough resilient wise souls. And we are on many different paths, there is no one right way. (My style and goals work for me, but I do not pretend that it is for everyone. )

I think Miss S and Manuu, you are too hard on yourselves. Miss S thank you for your kind words. Please understand that it can take a long time to reach the stages we are talking about. In my day job I have extensive training in a scientific field requiring the analysis and synthesis of very complex data. As tough as that job is, it is a cakewalk compared to astrology. So your frustration is understandable. Many times I want to take my astrology books and hurl them across the floor (in fact I have actually done this). But then I pick them up and start all over.

At some point, students have to just jump in and start practicing on their friends and family. Just start working with the chart and people. Tell people you are learning and ask for feedback from them.

And the Sun opp Sat is just telling you that you wanted to learn self discipline, self worth, and self responsibility in this life. It does not mean that bad things are fated for you. It means these are lessons you want to learn. Saturn is the Lord of Karma and he is a tough taskmaster, but if you learn your lessons he eases up. And the last couple of posts you made demonstrate that you are learning those lessons well. If you continue in this way, in your next life you come back sun trine sat! And sensitivity can be a blessing and gift, use it to help you in your astrology work.

Mantuu, every astrologer doesn't have to have a path of direct serve. Some are in more academic or research type areas, and provide an important service to the field. I choose to be out in the trenches because that makes me the happiest. (I have been a healer, mystic and astrologer in past lives, and in this life I am combining those skills. But that is not every one's cup of tea, and that is OK.)

I have noticed that this field is no different from any other in terms of ego. Most professions have the same problems.

It sounds like you have many talents and gifts, do not feel bad about using them. But if you start to feel yourself being seduced by fame, if your ego is getting in the way of your work and soul mission, then take a step back and re group.

I seem to have a bit of a knack for reading charts and working with people. But I know that it is not me, it is a gift given to me to use for the good of others. And all the hard work that I have done to learn astrology is really part of my soul mission, to blend right and left brain, to combine intuition and logic. All of it is about soul growth, not ego.

Thank you for this very interesting discussion, I have enjoyed it!

Cassie Priam

Manuu wrote: [and cassie ,u are right,i do have lots of ego issues and am very self centered.i am aware that my ego is a cage which is preventing personal growth and evolution.but even though i know that i have to change,there is something in me which is very obstinate and fixed,which pulls me back whenever i try to break free. a long break is indeed needed.
ur words are very profund wisdom, cassie,and this makes u a very special person.
thaking you,[/quote]

Manuu we all stumble and lose our way from time to time. Perhaps you would benefit from trying to get spiritually grounded. Get out of your head and work and back to your soul.

The way to do that is prayer, meditation, spiritual reading. When I have hit the wall with astrology I switch over to spiritual reading, it really helps put it all into proper perspective. You might also want to read some Edgar Cayce. He was a man with gifts who always remained soul centered.

And go back to your natal chart, look at it. What is your soul mission, what are you meant to do in this life? Your chart will tell you where you are supposed to be going.

Hi Mannu,

What you said in your post about wanting to change, but there is something within you that pulls you back, whenever you try to break free.
I related to this very strongly. It's like you study your chart analyze all your characteristics, negative thinking what is holding you back, you have the knowledge right in front of you of where you are going off track in life. Where you should be going in this lifetime.

Yet somehow you can at times feel worse for going off track because, your more conscious of the negativities you can fall into represented in your natal chart. I guess it doesn't matter how much we know about our character, even if we learn our direction in life in our birth chart does it mean we will follow it, we still have our human nature and can easily fall into ego trips and escapism or any other activities we use to avoid ourselves.

Lately I have been thinking about going back to work just something part time, because I have a ten month old son. I felt I needed something for myself to do, I have felt really bad for feeling this way, thinking I am being selfish and should be there for my son.

Also the thought of going back in the workplace again fills me with fear, I guess this may have something to do with my Saturn in Virgo, and my North Node being in the first house, I think because it will feel very new to me it is making me feel fearful.

I like this quote by Jonathon Livingstone Seagull

'Come to the edge ' he said
They said 'we are afraid '
'Come to the edge' he said
They came
He pushed them....
and they flew.

What you are afraid to do is a clear indicater of the next thing you need to do. by Anon.

For me it's more related to fear which holds me back, from breaking free from the cage.

Miss S

Last edited:
Hi Manuu,

I have been reading some of your work on here, and it is very sound advice I like your information on how the energy can be handled differently by men and women. How stressful aspects need not be stressful if handled properly, if you are releasing a Mar Square Pluto aspect for example into sports using the build up of energy positively.

Also I need to take a lot of your advice on thoroughly learning the basics of Astrology with me I have the tendency to jump from one Astrological thing to the next never really working with the basics, I leave things unfinished. I get too excited and want to explore everything, but never really keep a strong focus on working one step at a time.

Tim on this site keeps informing me to work with the basics of interpretation, I jump in too soon without analyzing the birth chart from the base up. I need to simplify the interpretation. working with the elements modes how a planet is working in a sign and house, before I even get to the interpretation of planets aspecting other planets. I have tried to work with celebrity charts, I think it highlighted how little I know in approaching a birth chart. My interpretations don't really reach the core of the explanation. I have all bits of information floating about I need to pin it down and be constructive with it.

I think I will post less on this site and learn more, I will have to take a step back before I will ever be able to move forward. I will fully follow the basic steps, work on my own chart, then my family, I am not saying I want to be a proffessional Astologer I want to learn how to apply the Art of Astrology practically in real life. To my own life and my family, I love the study of the subject, but rush to interpretation to quickly. I need more books on the subject I want my own little library on the subject. Even when I read Astrology books I like to skip to all the good bits, missing the basis behind an interpretation.

Your intepretation help is very useful I am going to read some more now, slowly and absorbing what you are generously teaching.

Miss S

Cassie Priam

Miss S: I tend to do the same thing you are describing, jumping around a lot in my study. This may be typical of those who are in a self study program, or perhaps just our learning style. I also confess I tend to learn things backwards, a fault of mine perhaps. I also write that way, start at the middle or the end and then go back to the beginning. I don't tend to learn things in a linear neat line. Or think that way.

I do think it is really important to have a good grounding in the basics and that is why I came on these forums. I want to make sure I am doing things properly. I know that I practice a very different type of astrology than most, the soul/spiritual side, but it is important to stay close to theory and practice of basic astrology no matter what the specialty area.

So I am back and forth all the time. Off on karmic tangents that interest me. Then back to orbs, aspects and the technical end of it all. I also go back to reading about the energy of each planet and house. And I also even go back to the ancient's descriptions of the planets and the heavens. They were so more attuned to all of it than we are.

I also periodically re group. Stop doing readings, do some intensive study and then come back to it all. I have come to the conclusion that being an astrologer is a work in progress, may never be finished!