4th house Neptune

greybeard

I have Neptune Rx within 3 degrees of the IC.....

A long time ago I went to an astrologers' convention
In one of the seminars...I forget the name of the lady who gave it...the subject was "Planets on the Angles."

This astrologer was dressed in luminous clothing, a kerchief wrapped about her head. She looked as a gypsy fortune teller is supposed to look.

I waited anxiously to hear what she would say about "Neptune on the Imum Coeli."

Her words..."Mama was a space cadet." I almost fell out of my chair laughing. My mama was a true Bohemian, quirky, a poetess, whacky. And then the astrologer confessed...both of her sons had Neptune on the Fourth Angle.

Let's see....Neptune is "dissolution". The Fourth House is where we come from, our roots. So Neptune in the Fourth (the closer to the cusp, the stronger) must mean "dissolution of roots" or "feelings of being unrooted." Except for the past decade of my life (I am now in my eighth decade), when I look in the mirror I see a Tumbleweed.

I have no idea why "a heavy planet when examined alone won't tell much." IF IT IS ANGULAR IT TELLS VOLUMES. Any angular planet (certainly when within 5 degrees of the angle, and my experience would extend that limit considerably) is greatly empowered. The intrinsic nature of the planet, whether in its positive or its negative expression, is a dominant force in the personality and the life of the native.

One astrologer, whose judgment I trust, says that Neptune on the Fourth is apt to act in one of two ways: either the native will inspire everyone with a simple and universal goodness, or will repel everyone because of a naive self-absorption. The position invites self-limiitation through an unhealthy cloistering of the self and its deeper interests. This is a very private position, and it challenges all assumptions of established security.

Neptune is subtle if nothing else. The planet rules delusion, illusion, fantasy and deception -- whether of self or others. It is dissolution and dispersion into the ethereal. The nagual (shape-shifter) belongs to Neptune. Things are not what they seem. Enslavement and flight from enslavement belong to Neptune; thus, escapism, flights into fantasy or from reality. This planet is alien: strange, often weird, remote, distant.

Neptune rules gases (like, say, mustard gas), blindness, hospitals and asylums, hallucinations and prophetic visions.... Isn't it strange that Adolf Hitler, right at the end of the war, just as progressed Sun came to his natal Neptune, experienced all of these things within the space of a few weeks?

The subtle, ethereal, other-worldly, mysterious and unspoken realm of Neptune makes it very difficult to get a grip on this planet, to pin it down to one form or another. This makes it difficult for the astrologer to define how Neptune will manifest, and even more difficult for the native of the horoscope to see and recognize its effects.

I would think long and hard before I dismissed Neptune to the realm of the "not very important on a personal level" when on any of the four angles.

Last edited:

FarEastUranus

My parents have changed three houses over the past 30 years and each one of those houses had a view over the bay! :)

Neptune is supposedly one of my most important planets due to the all important "closest orb", and squares my sun.

Other than that, my Jupiter is partile conjunct my MC, so the ruler of my 4th is furtherest away from its domicile.

I've always lived in metropolises, and in the center, for that matter. I was born in the French Concession of Shanghai for example. Now that I'm older, I wonder if I could live in a sleepy village in Bengal. Just a thought...

I don't particularly like the beach but love the tropics, especially red mangroves. Those are such magical trees. Other than that, I love mountains of a certain altitude, and would love to have a chalet.

aglaya

I have no idea why "a heavy planet when examined alone won't tell much." IF IT IS ANGULAR IT TELLS VOLUMES. Any angular planet (certainly when within 5 degrees of the angle, and my experience would extend that limit considerably) is greatly empowered. The intrinsic nature of the planet, whether in its positive or its negative expression, is a dominant force in the personality and the life of the native.

The angularity, being the accidental dignitiey, gives the planet a bigger power to act and express its nature however, what its nature is like will highly depend on the influences that it receives (the aspects and signs, obviously, the nature of the house as well). In addition, and although being a traditional Astrologer, i don't assign rulerships over the houses to the outer planets, I respect their nature and their influence especially when they make a bodily contact with another planet or degree and, from that standpoint, I can see what it influences and compare it to other planets or points in the chart that share the same natural symbolism (example- Neptune inside the 4th affects our parents, our homes etc.), but, likewise, the Moon and the Sun are the natural rulers of our parents and so we can compare the two. Finally, we add all other influences and, as a result, we all have Neptune in an angle, closer or more distant from the cusp, but different homes and parents. That is exactly why the desciption of your mother does not resemble any of my parents.

At this point, i may need to add that, according to most traditional sources, the 4th was assigned to the father, not the mother, regardless of its association with Cancer (Cancer rules home and homeland, heritage and ancestry which, among other things, remains inside the 4th).
Other traditional authorities, however, say that the 4th governs parents in general, disregarding the influence of the 10th entirely and using only natural rulers to represent mother and father (Sun and Moon, respectively) when there is need.Following this approach, the lots and house cusps are accepted as secondary significators.

Cheers,

aglaya

greybeard

I use traditional rulerships (usually), and I use the 4th for the father. In Hindu art, the 9th is the house of the father, the 4th of the mother. I repeated what the lady astrologer said, and Neptune is tied by affinity and aspect to the 10th in my chart with Pisces on the MC. There are other factors I didn't mention that affect the description of my mother.

I use the 4th/10th as the "parental axis". I have also found that while Sun is the father, it is always prudent to examine Saturn with regard to him. Saturn is very descriptive of the "father figure" and as often as not depicts the relationship of native to father quite well.

FarEastUranus

I use traditional rulerships (usually), and I use the 4th for the father. In Hindu art, the 9th is the house of the father, the 4th of the mother. I repeated what the lady astrologer said, and Neptune is tied by affinity and aspect to the 10th in my chart with Pisces on the MC. There are other factors I didn't mention that affect the description of my mother.

I use the 4th/10th as the "parental axis". I have also found that while Sun is the father, it is always prudent to examine Saturn with regard to him. Saturn is very descriptive of the "father figure" and as often as not depicts the relationship of native to father quite well.

In my case, Saturn is the ruler of my 5th house Moon, and 1st house Sun is in turn the ruler of my 12th house Saturn, and Sun and Moon trine each other. I have heard that sometimes if the mother is stricter, she could represent the "father figure" whereas the father is the nurturing figure. Could certainly be my case.