So what they're on the same degree?

Summery Joy

Why are astrologers always commenting on planets that are on the same degree in different sign be they in one chart or a synastry or even when studying transits in comparison to a natal chart? Even in an horary chart, interpreters hate it when they find a significator on the same degree as the North Node :!:

What is so special about "the same degree"? Is it because the planets involved form exact aspects, minor or major :?:

So, I have Uranus, Neptune and Pluto all on the same degree. Other than the sextile between Pluto and Neptune (which almost everyone has!), does it necessarily mean anything? Also the Sun an Juno fall on the same degree forming a sextile. Mercury and Lillit are on the same degree also but they're 30 degrees apart (what's that aspect). Anyway, you get my question.

wilsontc

Staff member
Exactness of aspect

Heart,

One reason why astrologers focus on aspects at the "same degree" is because of the intensity of the aspect increases the closer to "exact" it becomes. When a person has three planets all within one degree of a conjunction (energy is combined), this creates a VERY intense combination of energies! I see that you seem to have answered your own question in your post! ;-)

Confirming,

Tim

Arian Maverick

When a person has three planets all within one degree of a conjunction (energy is combined), this creates a VERY intense combination of energies!

I've got my natal Sun, Mercury, and Venus all within one degree of each other (15 Aries 35'52" to 16 Aries 30'49") ...and my natal Mars in located at 15 Gemini 20'2"! :twisted:

In fact, it seems that most of my chart is comprised of similar degrees in the same or different signs. What is the significance of this?

Arian Maverick

Summery Joy

Energies working at their highest potential, I suppose.

Let me ask you this; do you generally know what you want and seek it out?

pwadm

Staff member
Re: Exactness of aspect

wilsontc said:
One reason why astrologers focus on aspects at the "same degree" is because of the intensity of the aspect increases the closer to "exact" it becomes. When a person has three planets all within one degree of a conjunction (energy is combined), this creates a VERY intense combination of energies!

I saw once a graphical representation of the intensity of an aspect depending on the orb, and it was a Gauss curve:

gauss.gif

This picture shows pretty clear that a tight orb equals with high intensity, with the intensity of the aspect decreasing drastically as the orb widens.

There're the so called critical degrees, when a planet is at the degrees 0, 13, 26 in cardinal signs, 8, 22 in fixed signs and 4, 17 in mutable signs, associated with the Moon's mansions' cusps. This is a raw approximation of a tight orb, however, so I think that there are no "critical degrees" but rather "critical orbs" (very tight) to some exact positions in the zodiac.
In horary, planets at the same degree with the nodes carry also a critical state meaning. It might be the same situation, there as well, maybe we should consider very close orbs rather than the same degree as critical.

Arian Maverick

Ehem.. excuse a foreign speaker of English.. is this a yes or a no?

No problem...I simply meant a definate yes! :mrgreen:

Arian Maverick

P.S. Thanks for the great explanation, Radu! I particularly liked the diagram :wink:

Lapis

Radu and Tim or anyone,

Could you please talk a bit about "Combust" planets? Planets so close to the Sun that they're called Combust and what that means. I vaguely remember learning that Combust planets was considered a negative aspect. Some of the energies of the planet Combust the Sun were sort of burned up by all that solar power and energy. Do I have this correct? Thanks gentlemen.

Empath

I also would appreciate an explanation of "combust". I was told at some time that I have Chiron (7deg02 AQ) combust my Asc (6eg59 AQ) -- Uranus at 6deg59 Leo is "combust" my descendent at 6deg59 Leo!

Out of all the oppositions in my chart, the Chiron - Uranus is the tightest, and I can physically and psychically feel it. My other oppositions have a certaing tension and I become more aware of them when I trip over them.

Humanitarian

I've got my natal Sun, Mercury, and Venus all within one degree of each other (15 Aries 35'52" to 16 Aries 30'49") ...and my natal Mars in located at 15 Gemini 20'2"! :twisted:

In fact, it seems that most of my chart is comprised of similar degrees in the same or different signs. What is the significance of this?

Arian Maverick
That was mine! I have lots of planets in similar degrees too but it's interdecanate, and I've lean more in astrological third decan, so I'm more wateey and spiritual than i think!

Humanitarian

I also would appreciate an explanation of "combust". I was told at some time that I have Chiron (7deg02 AQ) combust my Asc (6eg59 AQ) -- Uranus at 6deg59 Leo is "combust" my descendent at 6deg59 Leo!

Out of all the oppositions in my chart, the Chiron - Uranus is the tightest, and I can physically and psychically feel it. My other oppositions have a certaing tension and I become more aware of them when I trip over them.
This is not a combustion, because the Sun don't involve in these aspects