Deciding Between Two Book Purchases

Arian Maverick

I've read that it's possible to use horary to determine which potential item is best to purchase, presumably by identifying the significator of each item and comparing these planets' relative strengths. Yet how do you determine the significator for each when two items are of the same kind? For example, I've read reviews for various books about a non-astrology subject I wish to learn, books which are not available through interlibrary loan. I have narrowed the selection down to two--one which is part of a series I have read and enjoyed, and another which is more "unknown" but appears to more closely target the area of my life I wish to improve. How do I determine which planet should signify each book? Mercury is the general ruler of books. Shall I use Mercury to signify the book I was reviewing the moment I thought to ask a horary question, and perhaps the planet that has the greatest dignity at 16 Aries (Mercury's position) signify the second book? If so, which system of dignities do I use to determine this planet? I tend to use Ptolemy's Table of Essential Dignities.

In this specific example, there's a zero degree Ascendant, which may indicate the chart is not radical. Yet it simply may indicate the obvious: there is too much Free Will in this situation. (Dr. J. Lee Lehman gives this interpretation for 0 degrees rising in The Martial Art of Horary Astrology.)

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. I often have questions of this nature, so I'd like to learn how to differentiate between two similar items in a horary chart.

Arian Maverick

Attachments

• Book Purchase Horary Chart.jpg
    Book Purchase Horary Chart.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 20

dr. farr

(Following is not in accordance with standard horary practice and uses whole sign house format)

In the Ankara tradition, the ascendant can never be too early IF the horary is an advice-request matter, which this one is. According to Ankara (and also A-Biruni) the 9th house of the chart is the significator here (books of learning) In deciding between 2 books, the first trigonal lord (triplicity lord) of the 9th house sign = the newer book (later published date book) and the second trigonal lord = the older (published date) book (if it were a choice among 3 books, the 3rd trigonal lord would represent the oldest published date book) Then you evaluate the strength/weakness of the relevant significator planet (trigonal lord)
Here:
-Sun is above the Earth so this must be a diurnal advice-request question = 9th trigonal day lords
-Aries is on the (whole sign) 9th house, so its the 1st and 2nd trigonal day lords of Aries we shall consider
-1st day lord of Aries = the Sun = significator of the first book (later publ dated book)
-2nd day lord of Aries = Jupiter = significator of the second book (earlier publ dated book)
Now we look at the situation of the 2 significators:
-SUN: angular, 10th whole sign house(+), posited in its Manilius decan rulership (Leo) (+) and also ruler of the ascending sign of the chart (+) and also posited in a bright degree of Taurus (+1): net = +4
-JUPITER: in cadent 9th house (-) but also posited in the signifying house of the subject matter (+), however, is within a mere 5 minutes of being in a pitted degree (23 Aries) so (-), posited also in a shadowy degree of Aries (-1): net = -2

So, the first book (later publ date) is strongly indicated in favor over the second (earlier publ date) book...

Arian Maverick

Thank you for the delineation, Dr. Farr. I always learn from your posts.

After deliberating far more than I care to admit about this seemingly trivial matter, I decided to change my thinking somewhat. I originally had grouped the potential purchases into two groups--three books in the series or one book outside the series. I eventually realized that I only really wanted one book in the series--the other two were more "to complete the set," although perhaps I'll buy them too when I save up more money. I realized that if I bought the book outside the set and one book inside the set, the cost would be almost the same as if I bought the three books inside the set. Does anything in the chart indicate this change of mental classification?

To address your interpretation more specifically, the book within the set was published in 2009, although I suspect it is a revised edition of an earlier published book because the series of which it is a part is somewhat old. (The other books in the set were published in 2009 and 2010.) The book outside the set was published in 2008.

Arian Maverick

dr. farr

Then, based on my delineation the book within the set, published in 2009, would be the choice over the book outside the set published in 2008; the other books in the set, 2009 & 2010, would oc course be included within the "later publication date" indication from the delineation.

The "change of mental classification" you mentioned might be indicated in the horary chart by the fact that both Mercury and Uranus are posited in the 9th whole sign house, signifying this matter: both Mercury and Uranus, of course, are significators of changes in outlook, attitude, etc...

Arian Maverick

Update: I received the package containing the books I ordered, and I could tell immediately that most of the information in the book outside the set--the book with the older publishing date--didn't apply to my situation. Since this book was considerably more expensive than the other one, I think I will take notes about the relevant sections and return it.

In contrast, I read the introductory paragraphs of the book in the series--the book with the later publishing date--and the author's experience mirrored mine almost exactly.

Thank you again for your assessment, Dr. Farr. You were right!

Now I just need to determine if it's worth ordering the other two books in the series, as I originally had planned. Unfortunately, I don't think I can use the technique you described, since I framed the question differently: "Will I Be Disappointed If I Order These Books? (Are They Relevant?)"

I'm conflicted upon whether I should post the chart or not. I don't want to become too dependent upon horary astrology to make small decisions, but in this case, I would have saved shipping costs if I had received and acted upon your advice before I placed my order.

Arian Maverick

dr. farr

Well, in a simple and direct question such as "are these books necessary" (that is the other 2 books in the series), where we don't really need to understand the dynamics of a situation, a "yes or no" type of technique can be used: there are a few of these, but the simplest is the Walis Magic 8 Ball (which I have outlined in several posts here on AW and which I have testing against known outcome horaries-the 8 Ball is holding at an 80+% correct prediction level in about 70 test results as of this date)
IF you want to try the 8 Ball, look at the 9th (whole sign I recommend) house of your new question chart; see what sign is there; if the ruler of that sign is a benefic (including Sun and Mercury) the answer is yes; if it is Mars or Saturn the answer is no; if it is the Moon the answer is-doesn't make any difference either way; and, regardless of the lord of the sign, if the South Node is in the sign the answer is no. You could try it and see what you get!
Best wishes!