The opposition in synastry--what are your experiences?

Baat

I'm curious about the nature of oppositions. Is this basically a negative aspect that only adds stress to a relationship--platonic or otherwise? It seems like there would be a duality to it, yin and yang if you will, that would make "opposites attract"?

I have sun opposite sun with my mother. Our moons are also opposing signs, not sure the degree of hers though as her birth time is unknown. I'm Libra sun, Capricorn moon. She's Aries sun, cancer moon. Interesting because her sun and moon are in exaltation and domicile, mine are in fall and detriment. In a lot of ways we are, you guessed it, opposites! And yet our teenage years were eerily similar, and I don't experience our differences as particularly negative.

So, what have your experiences been with this aspect?

katydid

In my experience, oppositions in synastry can be very powerful in a positive way.

In love relationships, Venus opposed Mars, or Sun opposed Moon, can be wonderful and fulfilling. And it is an 'opposites attract' type of passionate energy.

My daughter's Moon in Aquarius is opposed her boyfriend's Sun in Leo. He loves attention from her, and she loves to tease him about that. lol But they are really in sync with each other and its works kind of ike a Full Moon.

My daughter and I have Sun exactly opposed Venus. Her sun, my Venus. It is a great aspect for us, and helped us weather her teen years. :whistling:

Even when we were 'in opposition', as teens and parents often are, we did get where the other person was coming from. We didn't always agree, but we did get what the opposing view was.

My Husband and Son have Venus opposed Venus, husband's is in Pisces.

They are very different in a lot of ways. My husbands Venus in Pisces, Moon in Cancer trine allowed him the creativity to be an artist, He has made a living as a self employed artist, writer and musician. Most years he made a good living but it is always a roller coaster ride.

Our son wanted nothing rot do with working in the creative arts. :pouty: His Venus in Virgo and Moon in Taurus wanted stability and certainty in his daily work life, He began working and making his own livi9ng at 16. He had better credit than we did and bought a nice house when he was 25.

They love each other and hang out together a lot. And they appreciate each other. But they are very different. :tongue:

Darkgirl

Banned
i think it depends also on the natal chart.

for example one person with saturn opposition venus is more comfortable with a saturn opposite venus in synastry than someone who dont have this in their natal chart. And also the house rulers. for example everytime someones saturn oppose my venus in synastry i feel very comfatable with them and feel love because venus is ruler of my 7th house.

But in other way the saturnian person does not feel love and everytime i see him its hard for me. :sad::sad::sad:

ellie04

Read this on oppositions in Synastry. It's very enlightening - http://theinnerwheel.com/2009/11/03/synastry-studies-oppositions-hand-in-hand/

"Oppositions work via a see-sawing effect. If it’s not weighted towards one end, the opposition can vacillate, one day embracing one end, the next, the other. This give and take can happen when oppositions are formed between charts, and they can often drive us crazy. If we have a Mars/Pluto opposition between us, one day my Mars might be the victor, the next, your Pluto will win control. Planets in opposition arm wrestle in a pronounced way. Power is turned over quickly, without warning, leaving the participants confused."

Anyway, side-track a bit... it is said that in Composite, conjunction & opposition are the most significant aspects but interpretations of the opposition are always bad, which I don't understand.

Last edited:

katydid

Read this on oppositions in Synastry. It's very enlightening - http://theinnerwheel.com/2009/11/03/synastry-studies-oppositions-hand-in-hand/

"Oppositions work via a see-sawing effect. If it’s not weighted towards one end, the opposition can vacillate, one day embracing one end, the next, the other. This give and take can happen when oppositions are formed between charts, and they can often drive us crazy. If we have a Mars/Pluto opposition between us, one day my Mars might be the victor, the next, your Pluto will win control. Planets in opposition arm wrestle in a pronounced way. Power is turned over quickly, without warning, leaving the participants confused."

Anyway, side-track a bit... it is said that in Composite, conjunction & opposition are the most significant aspects but interpretations of the opposition are always bad, which I don't understand.

Yah, I don't see why they would always be bad. That is what a relationship is---Give and Take----making concessions, etc.

Of course, when the opposing planets are very different, and perhaps unequal in power, then it can be more problematic.

I have seen Saturn opposed Moon or Venus as often being difficult in relationships. The Moon or Venus person may feel unfulfilled and unappreciated and may not have enough leverage to change things. :bandit:

But Sun/Moon or Venus/Mars oppositions can be powerful and passionate, and do not create the same power mismatches as some other oppositions do. :love:

Baat

Yah, I don't see why they would always be bad. That is what a relationship is---Give and Take----making concessions, etc.

Of course, when the opposing planets are very different, and perhaps unequal in power, then it can be more problematic.

I have seen Saturn opposed Moon or Venus as often being difficult in relationships. The Moon or Venus person may feel unfulfilled and unappreciated and may not have enough leverage to change things. :bandit:

But Sun/Moon or Venus/Mars oppositions can be powerful and passionate, and do not create the same power mismatches as some other oppositions do. :love:

Of course the signs of the planets and the way they incorporate into the natal chart is important too, as another poster has stated. I have exalted Mercury in Virgo opposite a past flame's exalted Venus in Pisces. Mercury is the ruler of my 7th house and my own Venus is debilitated in Virgo, so I found his unconditional, boundless love extremely comforting, although it was also totally alien to me. Him having sun and Venus in Pisces, even when I tried to ask him directly if he thought I was too analytical, he wouldn't give me a clear answer (probably trying to spare my feelings) although I got a sense that he'd prefer less verbal communication, less analyzing--that it killed the romance for him.