how the right misunderstands everyone else

waybread

The Truth hurts?

Oh, well, you have resorted to your usual insult & degrade tactics typical of a leftist.

Have a nice day.

Thanks, I did. You, too.

Blackbery, if you re-read your own posts you will find them very insulting and degrading, typical of a hard right QAnon supporter. :wink:

So where does this get us?

waybread

Dr. Seuss is not being cancelled, says Waybread, just a lil' bit, that's all. Jes a lil' bit. After all, if any far left loon complains, somebody has to be cancelled--it's a matter of principle. We've got to keep the Democratic party together or else they will be at each other's throat. What's the principle of liberty compared to that!!? As long as its not Trump, that is what matters. Anything is expendable. You just don't understand.

Cary, do you understand how the business of book publishing actually works?? It wouldn't seem so. Publishers let books go out of print all the time. Probably you've tried to buy books that are no longer in print.

The decision to let 6 (out of many) Seuss books go out of print was a business decision. Surely as a member of the hard right, you believe in laissez-faire capitalism. Leftists didn't make this decision. Executives in the publishing business did.

Dr. Seuss Enterprises is an imprint of a huge publishing firm called Penguin Random House (a combo of Penguin paperbacks and Random house.) It, in turn, is owned by a major multi-national media giant based in Germany called Bertelsmann.

Funny, but I thought the right were all for free-market capitalism, without government telling people what they could and could not publish.

But cheer up, Cary. You can still read those 6 Seuss favorites via your public library, an on-line buy-and-sell service, or via used book sellers.

You've been dying to read McElligot's Pool for some time now, right?

BTW, just whose culture is cancelled over this flap?

Oddity

Laissez-faire capitalism was a pretty good idea...in 1880.

Not so much today.

I'm kind of embarassed for you at this point. You started a thread about how the right misunderstands you, but all you do is misunderstand the right and refuse to listen.

Oddity

The decision to let 6 (out of many) Seuss books go out of print was a business decision. Surely as a member of the hard right, you believe in laissez-faire capitalism. Leftists didn't make this decision. Executives in the publishing business did.

They made the 'decision' if you can call it that, at the behest of the National Council on Education, as well as other 'experts and academics'.

But cheer up, Cary. You can still read those 6 Seuss favorites via your public library, an on-line buy-and-sell service, or via used book sellers.

You've been dying to read McElligot's Pool for some time now, right?

BTW, just whose culture is cancelled over this flap?

You can't read those books at a lot of public libraries. Banned. I'm sure there will be more to follow the trend. And ebay has already pulled any used copies up for sale because it's harmful racism. You can still buy a used copy of Mein Kampf if you want to, though.

Other secondary sellers will likely follow. There's one used copy of Mulberry Street on amazon. For 338$. Sellers market?

I'm not sure if I understand how you use the word culture, so I'll refrain from commenting there.

waybread

Yes, these people seem to like pedophiles, rapists and murderers over Trump. Their stringent criteria is that as long as it's not Trump.

Hey, Chia! Long time no see.

And thanks for so clearly illustrating this thread title: "how the right misunderstands everyone else."

BTW, I think Trump is facing pending defamation charges over an alleged rape himself. The last I learned, a judge ruled that the woman's charges could proceed.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-defamation-lawsuit-idUSKBN27C1ZS

Something like 25 women have publicly accused Trump of sexual misconduct.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_sexual_misconduct_allegations

And remember Stormy Daniels?

The Russian prostitute videos involving Trump are another issue.

But who's counting?

waybread

They made the 'decision' if you can call it that, at the behest of the National Council on Education, as well as other 'experts and academics'.

You can't read those books at a lot of public libraries. Banned. I'm sure there will be more to follow the trend. And ebay has already pulled any used copies up for sale because it's harmful racism. You can still buy a used copy of Mein Kampf if you want to, though.

Other secondary sellers will likely follow. There's one used copy of Mulberry Street on amazon. For 338$. Sellers market?

I'm not sure if I understand how you use the word culture, so I'll refrain from commenting there.

So are you saying that your local public library board is run by a bunch of leftists?

In following this story, I clicked on a public library branch that had these 6 Seuss books available for reserving on-line.

But I'm so sorry that it will now be harder for you to read On Beyond Zebra, Oddity. Bummmer that Mulberry Street has to come off your reading list for the beach next summer.

As I mentioned previously, I personally wouldn't have handled the 6 books' illustrations in this way. I would have seen if copyright permitted the specific illustrations to be edited, or better yet, left them in and discussed them with any children if we so happened to read the book together. (Unlikely.)

But I wasn't consulted.

Then again, I'm not a big leftist.

I dunno, Oddity. It seems to me that there are bigger free speech issues around than McElligot's Pool. Maybe Julian Assange and Chelsea Manning? Jamal Kashoggi? Edward Snowden?

waybread

Yes, indeed.

They have proven that time & time again. ALL they care about is 'getting Trump'. Trump Derangement Syndrome rules them.

They REALLY are angry that Trump is leading the way against child & human sex trafficking.

We've posted about this on the satanic sex abuse thread.

God's CHILDREN Aren't For SALE - SAVE THE CHILDREN

https://youtu.be/REdr3QXlxb8

EDITED: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Wonder why LeoMoon keeps trying to 'shout over' the issue of child & human sex trafficking.

Sometimes it's more important what people NOT say than what they say.

Just saying!

Sorry, Blackbery, but there just isn't any real evidence of your QAnon conspiracy theory. There is no evidence of Trump as a crusader for child welfare. But it sounds oh-so virtuous, right? Who couldn't be against pedophilia-- except a bunch of Satan-worshipping cannibalistic antifa-loving Marxist Democrats?

Maybe I should start a new thread on what it is that sane, educated, rational people don't get about a former Secretary of State running a cannibalistic pedophile ring out of the basement of a DC pizzeria?

Oh, and remember the armed guy who went to this pizzaria looking for the basement, which the building didn't even have?

BTW, Trump Deprivation Syndrome is now a thing.

Oddity

You're okay with children's books that have been around for decades, ones that maybe you read to your kids (if you have kids). There is zero evidence that any child anywhere became a racist or a victim of racism because of Dr Seuss, but maybe kids decided they liked reading because of Dr Seuss - actually, a lot did. I know reading isn't important in the brave new world, but it's still important to some of us.

You seem to think all the book bannings and censorship of late comes from laissez-faire capitalism. Are you being purposefully obtuse?

I'll add that if they can cancel Dr Seuss (they want to pull more of his books) then they can cancel anyone.

But go ahead, keep mocking us, you're having fun after all.

waybread

Anyone else find it ironic that those who scream the loudest & demand censorship of non-political threads are they very same people who post endlessly about non-astrology political threads.

LOL!

LIke Chiamaria said, the 'IRONY' meter not working for them.

p.s. Unlike THEM, the Reps/Conservatives believe in FREE SPEECH & we don't complain about them....we welcome debate.

THEIR tactic is 'do as we say, think exactly like us or we'll burn the country down, ban you, censor you, attack you & cancel you. OH, & then be completely dishonest about it & pretend we have nothing to do with Big Tech, Big Pharma, Big Business or the Mockingbird Media. We can 'wipe out hands' clean & claim to be the victim.

If you mean me, Blackbery, I am doing what moderator Tim Wilson essentially recommended that I do. Which is to counter your kind of speech with my kind of speech.

If you don't like my posts, take it up with him.

Actually, I've been too busy lately to burn down the country, or renew my ties to Big Tech, Big Pharma, et al. Coming up with a constant stream of dishonesty and disingenuity soaks up all my time, you know?

But go ahead and fact-check my statements.

waybread

It seems that sometimes it's just easier to bury one's head in the sand. People are scared for themselves regarding contracting covid and shame you for not wearing a mask as if you are an uncaring citizen, but then they give you the glazed stare when you bring up child trafficking and then ignore the issue. The only difference between the two is that covid has no proof that it's dangerous at all, whereas there's plenty of proof of child trafficking and satanic abuse of kids. Talk about perspective.

The irony indeed.

Child trafficking is real and it is serious. But real child trafficking has nothing to do with your fake QAnon conspiracy theory.

You seem to bury your head in the sand about covid-19. Right now the US has over 533,000 deaths-- and counting. Mask-wearing is basic epidemiology. Let's hope the next fatalities aren't people you love.

Yeah-- maybe I should start a thread on what QAnon fans don't understand about people who are rational.

waybread

Okay, I'll bite. A lot of good astrological books are no longer in print, I grant. I've PDF'd as many of them as I could, because it's important that they stick around.
But here's the deal: traditional astrology is a niche market. It might be a niche of a niche market. Not a lot of people are interested in those books - and that's why there are such limited print runs. But unlike what happened to the Seuss books, at least astrologers weren't told by the National Education Association (as well as various 'academics and experts') to stop publishing them. And it's a pity we can't move Read Across America to a day that isn't Dr Seuss's birthday, isn't it? That's probably going to happen, though, don't worry.

They're now saying Cat in the Hat is racist. And probably others. More will have to be cut.

The only corporate decision I'm seeing here is that they're scared of the left. Which isn't unreasonable, but if you give an inch to those people, they will take a mile. They always do.

Corporate decision-making does consider major cultural trends. These affect stock shares, product sales, and public image. They're important to corporations whether those cultural trends come from the left, the right, or McElligot's Pool.

I think your quarrel is with corporate decision-making. Which sounds kind of lefty to me.

We know about the public outcry against astrology books, as being nonsense, non-Christian, anti-science, and so on. Which is why so many of them are printed by niche publishers.

waybread

Typical cheap shot. I'm sure her life is a great deal more exciting than everyone else's on here. Least I'm not the one muzzling up each time I go out and bypassing every person by at least 2m like they're potential landmines. My life's too boring for that. Yes, it's much more exciting to live as if there's a threat around every corner like the apocalypse is here.

Gosh, Chia-- given the way you post, my life would have to be more exciting than the lives of forum members who apparently spend all day here promoting QAnon conspiracy theories and venting massive amounts of anger.

I just hope nobody you care about and spend time with gets sick with covid because of your head-in-the-sand views of epidemiology.

Again, the thread title is "how the right misunderstands everyone else." Places with mask mandates do have lower infection and death rates than places with anything-goes. Some of us get that death certificates and funerals are factual.

Anyway, you might enjoy reading about how the German language is coping with covid. For example, one of their words for masks translates as "face condom."

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...-1-200-new-words-about-the-pandemic-1.5931997

Please stay healthy, and considerate of people around you.

waybread

Maybe they will pass another abortion bill which gives the 'state' the right to kill white babies up to six months & that way, they get to kill the white supremacists before they even grow up.

You think this is so far-fetched but they are ready to build de-programming camps & take the children away from anyone who voted for Trump.

In case you didn't know.

THE LEFT HAVE GONE BONKERS.

Um... somebody has gone bonkers.

But are you targeting the correct group?:unsure:

Oddity

Remember the 26 women who have accused Trump of sexual assault?

Selective amnesia, anyone?

No, I haven't. But if you're going to cast aspersions because a president committed adultery - well, it's pretty common. As, sadly, is sexual abuse. And it's true of both of them. Some of the texts/mails on Hunter's laptop about what went on in the family are pretty sickening. I won't post it here.

David, why do Democrats want to take the nuke button away from Biden? Why did they cut his stream short today when he said he'd take questions? Why do they want to strip him of war powers?

Can you even entertain the thought that Biden isn't quite...all there?

waybread

Unlike the woke Dems, Republicans have a moral compass & don't allow anti-semites to speak at THEIR conference.

Maybe you're cool with hate, maybe you're okay if Hitler were alive & gave a speech at the Dem Convention because he promised to not talk about the extermination of the Jews but about how wonderful the world is.

That's who YOU are. Republicans have standards & ethics & morals.

Um, some Trump supporters did wear anti-Semitic clothing at the January 6 Capitol building riot. Remember the Camp Auschwitz shirt?

Anti-Semitic white nationalist groups who participated?

Blackbery, you seem to be unaware that the QAnon calumny about a Democratic cannibalistic pedophile cult essentially copies the outlines of a notorious forgery, The Protocols of the Elders of Zion, and the "blood libel," in which European Jews were accused of using the blood of Christian children to bake Passover matzohs.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/anti-semitism-seen-in-u-s-capitol-insurrection-raises-alarms-1.5265247

It's an old and horrifying narrative. You might want to reconsider how and why QAnon came to adopt it for their own purposes.

waybread

Laissez-faire capitalism was a pretty good idea...in 1880.
Not so much today.

I'm kind of embarassed for you at this point. You started a thread about how the right misunderstands you, but all you do is misunderstand the right and refuse to listen.

This thread isn't about me, Oddity. Anymore than it's about you or the other frequent posters on it. Put differently, if it is about you, Blackbery, David, Chia, Leomoon, and Cary, then it's about me as much as it is about you and them.

Save your embarrassment for the QAnon crowd.

I have read all of the posts. In a free speech forum, I am allowed, however, to disagree with some of them. Like the Dr. Suess flap.

I know sensible conservatives. One of them is a dear friend. I don't find his kind of thinking in hateful posts scripted by QAnon.

If the hard right represents conservativism today, heaven help us.

waybread

You're okay with children's books that have been around for decades, ones that maybe you read to your kids (if you have kids). There is zero evidence that any child anywhere became a racist or a victim of racism because of Dr Seuss, but maybe kids decided they liked reading because of Dr Seuss - actually, a lot did. I know reading isn't important in the brave new world, but it's still important to some of us.

You seem to think all the book bannings and censorship of late comes from laissez-faire capitalism. Are you being purposefully obtuse?

I'll add that if they can cancel Dr Seuss (they want to pull more of his books) then they can cancel anyone.

But go ahead, keep mocking us, you're having fun after all.

Oddity, I am trying to speak sweet reason about what I view as a tempest in a teapot. I'm allowed to have that opinion.

There are serious free speech issues going on today. I'm not a fan of Julian Assange, but this is a really important case. If he is extradited to face trial in the US it will be a big test of the First Amendment and the Espionage Act.

Right now, dozens of journalists are getting detained or indefinitely jailed for reporting on corrupt regimes around the world. Oh, and then there is Alexei Navalny.

But, oh boy. The American "right" has a live one for sure when a publisher decides not to reprint 6 children's books that few of the Outraged Ones have even read-- at least not in the last 30 years.

The Seuss books are not banned. Publishers choose not to reprint books all the time. I'm sure a lot of Harlequin Romances are now out-of-print, but nobody gives a hoot about those.

This is laissez-faire capitalism. Companies modify their policies in keeping with consumer tastes all the time. But it's so much easier to blame the lefties for "cancel culture."

Whose culture is being cancelled?

p.s. I have two adult children and one adorable little grandson. We read together a lot when my children were young. Some Dr. Suess but many other books, as well.