Tell Me About the 11th House

tsmall

Premium Member
The 11th is a Succedent House, but it PRECEDES H12 in order, as the numbering implies. Sounds like you're viewing them in retrograde order?:unsure:

No. It's more like...12th is cadent from 10th. Does that explain it? Edit to add, the houses number according to zodiacal motion, but advance and retreat in diurnal motion.

david starling

This is a new idea for me. Care to elaborate?
I did, a few posts ago.It's an Area of Life which isn't about "business as usual". Going beyond normal expectations and transcending differences. For example, Astrology itself enables us to know things we wouldn't normally be expected to know, and transcends differences in race, religion, ethnicity and background. So, Astrology, by this definition, is an H11 practice. Helps with friendships also!:biggrin:

Last edited:

FROG

My impression of the 11th house -- A Sun in the eleventh says you can't be you unless you are a 'member' somewhere. You've 'joined' a group. You are part of a team. You see yourself as part of group. You identify with what a group can accomplish, not just you alone, or you with a partner, or you with family. As a member, you have a sense of 'belonging'. You see yourself with bucket list of things to do with groups of people. They are projects, one cannot do alone. You exist to be 'social', as in mingle with people. If work ever forces you into going without social experiences for days on end, you go nuts, or miserable.

People like you can find they have a better ability than others to function in large organizations, because you can identify with the needs and motives of the organization, and thus know how to maneuver within, and not lose your own sense of self.

Or you may have a sense about what drives politics, or other collective sciences about people.

With Mars in the 11th, near Sun and Mercury, you should be able to focus energy in that collective, to achieve goals which set you out ahead.

There's an interesting twist to absorb in the 11th house interpretation, which sets it apart from the people mingling tendencies of houses 4 through 9. There's a division of the chart East vs West half (houses 10 through 3, vs houses 4-9). On the east you operate mostly on your own, where as on the other half the chart, there's a need for you to work with/for others. So there on the 'solo' side of the chart is this social collective house. Why isn't it on the other side of the chart? The people connection in the 11th house are a bit 'impersonal' in comparison to those on the other side. In the 11th it's about what "we can do as a group" or "what a good member should do", with no spotlight on the case of just one individual. You may find you are short on tolerance for those who ask for 'special treatment', or to be excused from routine responsibilities. That sort of behavior is not good for the 'group'. It's not to be tolerated. Putting up with that is what corrupts the integrity of the group, says the 11th house person.

Another way to look at the 11th, is to move around the chart House 1 through 12, and see how the sequence of activity flows. 4th is family 5th is children or romantic love. 9th is higher education. 10th is graduation, getting published, becoming known. So what would the 11th be, just before the 12th? It seems to be about accomplishing what you could not do with with just the prior houses - family, children, education, notoriety. Plug into the collective. (Not necessarily the cosmos.) Join league with people of similar interests. Push the envelope on what is known, or done, by pooling interests, will, and effort with others. Make a difference. Perhaps.

So does this agree, disagree with what others think the 11th house is?
Does this help you understand yourself Magnolia?

Last edited:

david starling

My impression of the 11th house -- A Sun in the eleventh says you can't be you unless you are a 'member' somewhere. You've 'joined' a group. You are part of a team. You see yourself as part of group. You identify with what a group can accomplish, not just you alone, or you with a partner, or you with family. As a member, you have a sense of 'belonging'. You see yourself with bucket list of things to do with groups of people. They are projects, one cannot do alone. You exist to be 'social', as in mingle with people. If work ever forces you into going without social experiences for days on end, you go nuts, or miserable.

People like you can find they have a better ability than others to function in large organizations, because you can identify with the needs and motives of the organization, and thus know how to maneuver within, and not lose your own sense of self.

Or you may have a sense about what drives politics, or other collective sciences about people.

With Mars in the 11th, near Sun and Mercury, you should be able to focus energy in that collective, to achieve goals which set you out ahead.

There's an interesting twist to absorb in the 11th house interpretation, which sets it apart from the people mingling tendencies of houses 4 through 9. There's a division of the chart East vs West half (houses 10 through 3, vs houses 4-9). On the east you operate mostly on your own, where as on the other half the chart, there's a need for you to work with/for others. So there on the 'solo' side of the chart is this social collective house. Why isn't it on the other side of the chart? The people connection in the 11th house are a bit 'impersonal' in comparison to those on the other side. In the 11th it's about what "we can do as a group" or "what a good member should do", with no spotlight on the case of just one individual. You may find you are short on tolerance for those who ask for 'special treatment', or to be excused from routine responsibilities. That sort of behavior is not good for the 'group'. It's not to be tolerated. Putting up with that is what corrupts the integrity of the group, says the 11th house person.

Another way to look at the 11th, is to move around the chart House 1 through 12, and see how the sequence of activity flows. 4th is family 5th is children or romantic love. 9th is higher education. 10th is graduation, getting published, becoming known. So what would the 11th be, just before the 12th? It seems to be about accomplishing what you could not do with with just the prior houses - family, children, education, notoriety. Plug into the collective. (Not necessarily the cosmos.) Join league with people of similar interests. Push the envelope on what is known, or done, by pooling interests, will, and effort with others. Make a difference. Perhaps.

Yes, "Join league with people of similar interests" fits what I think H11 is about. Could be just friendships, but also includes altruistic, like-minded individuals coming together for an important purpose.
Collective, YET INDIVIDUALISTIC cooperation, where the ideal is to benefit the World in general, instead of profit for oneself or one's own, narrowly perceived group (e.g. corpration, political group, religious affiliation, nation, family, etc.)....Modern corporations are the antithesis of the H11 ideal, and I see them as H10 entities. The Occupy Movement had an H11 sort of attitude. I'm emphasizing Individualism to make the point that the 11th House isn't about lock-step conformity, or a "group-mind" mentality--that's H10 corporations, politics, religion, etc. [IMO]

Last edited:

jangle

Hi,

I have a PACKED 11th house - Venus-Sun-Mars + Mercury + BML + Orcus and other asteroids. Most descriptions of this house leave a lot to be desired, so can anyone share their personal experiences or observations with the 11th house?

Thank you.

I have an 11th HS stellium, in Capricorn. Sun in the 12th HS in Capricorn.

I am curious what an 11th HS stellium implies about past lives.

What's funny is that I don't relate much to the 'friends and acquaintances' bit about the 11th HS. I am the type of person who has a few close friends, I dislike parties, they make me feel phony (Pluto in the 8th, in Scorpio). People gravitate toward me but I keep a very low profile, socially.

What I do relate to the 11th HS is a sense of connection to the human race on a large scale. I have a feeling that I can/should help the human race in some way, but I have no idea what that is.. other than through astrology! My 8th HS Pluto has people emotionally unloading on me all the time, so I suppose I could use that to help people feel validated and heard.

Does anyone have advice for newer astrologers who have a desire to do it professionally?

david starling

I have an 11th HS stellium, in Capricorn. Sun in the 12th HS in Capricorn.

I am curious what an 11th HS stellium implies about past lives.

What's funny is that I don't relate much to the 'friends and acquaintances' bit about the 11th HS. I am the type of person who has a few close friends, I dislike parties, they make me feel phony (Pluto in the 8th, in Scorpio). People gravitate toward me but I keep a very low profile, socially.

What I do relate to the 11th HS is a sense of connection to the human race on a large scale. I have a feeling that I can/should help the human race in some way, but I have no idea what that is.. other than through astrology! My 8th HS Pluto has people emotionally unloading on me all the time, so I suppose I could use that to help people feel validated and heard.

Does anyone have advice for newer astrologers who have a desire to do it professionally?

I'm of the opinion that Astrology itself is an 11th House practice. It connects us to the human race on a large scale, and is a shared enterprise which at the same time is highly individualistic. I also think it helps make the world a better place by transcending issues of race, religion, and economic status.
I wasn't cut out to be a professional Astrologer, because I was too affected by other people's emotional problems, and too worried about giving them wrong advice based on faulty birth-times. People were becoming too dependent on me, and I need my personal space, and time to myself. Cold readings, where you don't actually meet the person, leave something to be desired for me, and to reach enough people to make Astrology a primary source of income, you'd have to read for people you haven't met. You might want to contact a website that hires Astrologers, once you feel you've learned enough, or start your own.

magnolia8

Speaking only for myself, it would be a lot easier to look at your 11th house if we could look at your 11th house. Every one's 11th is going to be just as personal and individual as each of us is.

The 11th is a Solar house (as opposed to Lunar) so it is going to be about things that happen because of, and not simply "to" us. It is the friends we seek out, as opposed to the friends/family/tribe that are granted to us by proximity. It is the beneficence of the "king," and so the rewards we get from people who have authority over us. In that sense it can represent those in higher places who move us forward in our career, status, or reputation. It is the house of Good Spirit, as opposed to the house of Good Fortune. Trust, friendship, and the things we get from them. Our hopes and wishes, and how those will materialize for us. It is the 12th to the 12th house, which is the house of bad Spirit, also a solar house. The 12th (sorry, David) is things that are not good for our spirit, usually brought on by ourselves. Easiest way to define the 12th is the misery we impose on ourselves. The 11th is succedent to the 12th, so shows us where and how we can rise from our own misery, culminating in the 10th angular house which brings us to our achievements.

Re: the bolded
The friends we seek out - important distinction, IMO. I've always thought it was just the people I found myself surrounded by because of work, school, etc. It is those I actively seek out? Well, that might explain why this house doesn't resonate, LOL - I don't seek out partnerships at all (of course, there are chart factors explaining why that is).

It must be that I need others - teams? - to realize goals. I have a strong loner, "I'll-do-myself" mentality, but perhaps this is wrong?

Thanks for your insight.

magnolia8

tsmall's post made me of think of two occasions where I thought about seeking out others to accomplish goals related to relationships and wealth-building. But overall? I don't see myself as part of a group. Too Leonine for that, IMO.

I may (or may not) add to this post later. It's past midnight here. Thank your for your insight as well.

david starling

The friends we seek out - important distinction, IMO. I've always thought it was just the people I found myself surrounded by because of work, school, etc. It is those I actively seek out? Well, that might explain why this house doesn't resonate, LOL - I don't seek out partnerships at all (of course, there are chart factors explaining why that is).

It must be that I need others - teams? - to realize goals. I have a strong loner, "I'll-do-myself" mentality, but perhaps this is wrong?

Thanks for your insight.

It's occurred to me that Astrology itself is, or at least can be, an H11 practice. In that case, if Astrology resonates with you, and you feel that you're among friends here, the 11th House DOES resonate with you! :joyful:

meowll

Thanks for your insight.

I've seen mentioned some times that 11th house people are actually loners, even though it's traditionally said that they resonate well with groups. If we take 11th in analogy with Aquarius, the theme here is social integration vs rejection... maybe 11th house is more about this conflict; the 11th house person maybe wants to integrate and belong, but eventually works better on his own. After all, if we take the Aquarius mad inventor stereotype, weirdos do awesome, groundbreaking things on their own! I have a 11th house Sun and Mercury and I'm a loner too. I've never actually belonged to a group and I crave for it, but I don't know how to make it happen because I don't seem to fit well anywhere. I prefer to connect to humanity indirectly, through culture and internet (technology and net is also 11th house stuff). More than that, 11th house is the house of higher knowledge (Uranus) and astrology, so maybe it's not a coincidence that we're on this forum now!