What books should I look to learn Vedic Astrology?

Jetman

Hi~ I'm going to study Vedic Astrology.But I'm totally a Newbie in Vedic Astrology who have no idea about that.I've glanced the book list in AmericaAstro.com about Vedic Astrology but I don't know which book appropriate to read.Could you introduce me?Thank you!:happy:

Zarathu

Account Closed
Are you starting fresh, or do you have to unlearn tropical western astrology, or some other kind of astrology first?

Moog

BPHS is a classic text.

However, to get the most out of it, you might need some help.

Personally, I recommend 'Vault of the Heavens' by Ernst Wilhelm.

it serves very well as a blunt, straightforward introduction to most of Parashara's principles.

It's out of print, but Ernst offers an inexpensive digital edition (PDF) on his site

Good luck

Zarathu

Account Closed
If you are coming from being a western Tropical astrologer, and you want to get started, and this is just a simple ABC to find similarities so you can get your bearings in a new system, I would recommend the book by James T. Braha:

ANCIENT HINDU ASTROLOGY FOR THE MODERN WESTERN ASTROLOGER.

This will not make you a vedic astrologer in any sense of the word. It only gives you a sense of how the system is set up and speaks to you from the framework of being a tropical astrologer. I also have a small book by Ronnie Dreyer called VEDIC ASTROLOGY, but as in intro, Braha's book is much better.

Also with the Braha book, there are things you can take back to Western astrology, such as Retrograde planet concepts.

Hope this helps as a starter.

Jetman

Are you starting fresh, or do you have to unlearn tropical western astrology, or some other kind of astrology first?

Thank you for your help.It's greatful.And I appreciate your sharing.I have learnt Morden Astrology and read some book about Traditional Astrology.And I've read the books written by Benjamin Dykes and Bonatti.

But I don't know you said "Tropical Astrologer" means.I can understand this word means.My English is not well,I'm sorry.:sad: Could you please to explain?

Jetman

BPHS is a classic text.

However, to get the most out of it, you might need some help.

Personally, I recommend 'Vault of the Heavens' by Ernst Wilhelm.

it serves very well as a blunt, straightforward introduction to most of Parashara's principles.

It's out of print, but Ernst offers an inexpensive digital edition (PDF) on his site

Good luck

Thank you.But What is "BPHS"???

VenusS

BPHS - Brihat parashara hora shastra!
Is ebay wokinh for you? You could easily find astrology books there? Search Astrology Conjunctions Speed of light by Kapiel Raaj.
Also there are so many educational videos from the same author(Kapiel) for vedic students. you could search KRSchannel on Youtube.
Regards,
VenusS

Jetman

BPHS - Brihat parashara hora shastra!
Is ebay wokinh for you? You could easily find astrology books there? Search Astrology Conjunctions Speed of light by Kapiel Raaj.
Also there are so many educational videos from the same author(Kapiel) for vedic students. you could search KRSchannel on Youtube.
Regards,
VenusS

Oh my god~ Thank you.But China has not ebay.Haha! What a pity.And China can't click in Youtube because some political purpose the government locks out the webside.No Chinese can get in Youtube nor ebay.But American Amazon we can click in.I search books on it and then told my agent to buy book.If the agent hasn't the book I need,there's no way.:sad:

VenusS

Try to change the I.P address of your modem or change DNA address. Change it to google's DNA.
Search something on google to how to open youtube if your country has banned it? Just try it mate. :3

Jetman

Try to change the I.P address of your modem or change DNA address. Change it to google's DNA.
Search something on google to how to open youtube if your country has banned it? Just try it mate. :3

That's a good idea!!!Thank you very much!!!:biggrin:

Zarathu

Account Closed

Fooling around with ways to get around the government bans in China is dangerous. This is not the WEST. The Chinese Government does not look kindly on citizens who find ways to break through its barriers. And what's more, The Chinese Government actually looks for these people. When found, they will not like what happens to them.

Please don't suggest to a Chinese National that they should look for ways to break out of the barriers that the Chinese government has put on its citizens, unless you also talk about prison time too. Discussion like that here could lead to a ban of this forum in China also. This would not help Jetman or any other Chinese national who is trying to learn astrology.

Moog

Thank you.But What is "BPHS"???

As explained, Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra, which Jetman suggested

This text forms the bedrock of most Vedic astrology currently practiced.

You can (possibly; I don't know how strict the great Chinese firewall is) find a copy freely available online.

However, traditional texts can be somewhat dry, tricky, and inaccessible.

So I do recommend Ernst to you.

Another good resource that you may be able to access is Barbara Pijan's site;

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/bastrhom.htm

dr. farr

I consider Ernst Wilhelm a brilliant innovator, and I second Moog's recommendation-however his books might be difficult for the OP to obtain, and perhaps a bit advanced for the OP as well. Easily obtainable on Amazon, and quite basic for the beginner, is
H. de Fouw's "Light on Life", which might be a good place for the OP to begin...

Jetman

As explained, Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra, which Jetman suggested

This text forms the bedrock of most Vedic astrology currently practiced.

You can (possibly; I don't know how strict the great Chinese firewall is) find a copy freely available online.

However, traditional texts can be somewhat dry, tricky, and inaccessible.

So I do recommend Ernst to you.

Another good resource that you may be able to access is Barbara Pijan's site;

http://www.barbarapijan.com/bpa/bastrhom.htm

Thank you! It's valuable!:smile:

Jetman

I consider Ernst Wilhelm a brilliant innovator, and I second Moog's recommendation-however his books might be difficult for the OP to obtain, and perhaps a bit advanced for the OP as well. Easily obtainable on Amazon, and quite basic for the beginner, is
H. de Fouw's "Light on Life", which might be a good place for the OP to begin...

Excuse me.What's the OP means?My English is not well to understand every word well.I'm sorry.

Ryan Kurczak

Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra IS a fantastic work, but not really for a beginner who has no personal guidance from someone who understands how to apply what's in there.

I concur with Moog, Graha Sutras is the best option to understand the underlying principles and fundamentals.

However, the best book I've found for beginners who want cookbook recipes, would be Beneath a Vedic Sky by William Levacy. That book can get you going reading charts fast, even if you don't understand the principles!

Jetman

Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra IS a fantastic work, but not really for a beginner who has no personal guidance from someone who understands how to apply what's in there.

I concur with Moog, Graha Sutras is the best option to understand the underlying principles and fundamentals.

However, the best book I've found for beginners who want cookbook recipes, would be Beneath a Vedic Sky by William Levacy. That book can get you going reading charts fast, even if you don't understand the principles!

Oh thank you.But I want to become professional astrologer and study on my own.:biggrin: Thank you for your recommandation.It mean a lot.:smile:

Ryan Kurczak

Yes, well...don't try to move to fast, or you'll miss a lot of basics that you will wish you paid more attention to in the beginning.

Learn what the planets and houses and signs represent first.
Once you have a solid understanding of that (and that can take a while) then you can start to synthesize with techniques and see what it all means.

You have to know an alphabet before you can spell a word. You have to know how words work before you can write a sentence. You need to know how paragraphs fit together before you write a book... you get the idea.

Also, try to find an astrology teacher. That will save you years of trying to make sense of things on your own.

But don't get me wrong. Books are a great start.