MC-IC through houses (8-2?)

innuke

Hello!

There is one question I've been thinking about for a while, namely, what does the MC-IC angle really mean? I understand it is the public self and career for MC and private, personal self for IC and typically it goes through houses 10 & 4. But, in my case they are 8 and 2 (using Whole sign houses). This seems to be pretty rare. Also I know 2 people for whom it is 12th house and 6th house+ conjunct the Nodes.

Would be grateful for comments! :wink:

Cheers,
Innuke

Amnesia

Hello!

There is one question I've been thinking about for a while, namely, what does the MC-IC angle really mean? I understand it is the public self and career for MC and private, personal self for IC and typically it goes through houses 10 & 4. But, in my case they are 8 and 2 (using Whole sign houses). This seems to be pretty rare. Also I know 2 people for whom it is 12th house and 6th house+ conjunct the Nodes.

Cheers,
Innuke

In the old days astrologers didn't have full house divisions but simply used the Angles to determine the 'topics' or areas of life from there. In my view it is difficult therefore to separate the IC from the 4th house and the areas that it rules even though the IC appears separate from the 4th.

My interpretation of the 4th House is that it denotes one's private domestic life behind closed doors. It's the world hidden from the bigger world outside. It also represents the parent that was least visible in one's youth as well, which more often than not ends up being the father if he was working all the time. Having planets such as Saturn or Pluto in this house as an example then strongly indicates a controlling home environment and perhaps authoritarian parents and in Saturn's case - older relatives who were a bit tyrannical. These people then (again as an example) often go on to be very controlling of their own home environments in their adult years thus perpetuating an inherited astrological trait reaching deep into that families past.

Because you use a different house system however it complicates things a little more as there is overlap from the angles and a merging of houses or topics. Placements in the 2nd House of personal wealth and values then would also have to be read as though they were in the 4th House as well. This of course means that your 2nd and 4th Houses also probably share a ruler, which means that planet has even more impact on your life than other planets might. The IC in the 2nd would also indicate a person who perhaps feels like their family is a possession of theirs and something with greater material value. The MC in the 8th then could also indicate a career based on shared resources or resources inherited from family. Your own family could be a major source of personal wealth and public fame in some cases.

You're not an oil magnate or a member of a royal family are you? ;)

Its worth playing around with the House systems though to see which one is the most accurate and paying attention to the House rulers during important transits and progressions would help determine which one is most accurate.

Last edited:

innuke

Hey, thanks so much for the reply, Amnesia!

In Placidus the angle goes through 3rd and 9th in my case... In terms of house systems, I feel Placidus is a more of an empowering view, while whole sign might be more critical/objective. Because yes, with my own example and the IC-MC angle: yes, I'm a good communicator (3rd) and very religious (9th), but those do not really describe what binds me in a deeper way, in terms of money and value, sense of worth etc...

Your comment about "owning one's family" reminded me that my Moon is conjunct IC: and I have perceived that my mother has the attitude of somehow "owning" me, as if I were an extension of her. I have struggled a lot with that, trying to break free. The irony, and why it is so hard to even understand what I'm fighting is that she has been absent a lot and given me no rules or boundaries, so all of these feelings of "ownership" are psychological and very hard to understand. I also have Mars in the 4th house and Jupiter in the 8th.
Not oil magnate, but I have been kind of secure thanks to "other people's money". But what I really want is to have more of my own and then invest that.
About the meaning of MC in the 8th, I've been thinking, how much would that be an indication to learn about the occult.

JUPITERASC

Hello!

Cheers,
Innuke
would be useful to view charts for these examples you mention :smile: