In What Sign is Chiron Domiciled?

waybread

The constellation Ophiuchus, located between Sagittarius and Scorpio.

Attachments

• Ophiuchus.jpg
    Ophiuchus.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 27

Opal

Premium Member
Regardless, Chiron does not even act like a planet when looking at it in charts. Like all Centaurs, Chiron crosses the orbits of other planets and links those energies together. No actual planet does that. Centaurs describe the process through which the energies of the planets they link are transmuted. Calling it a planet or not does not change how it operates in the chart.

I will have to look into Erminie Lantero and Clow’s work to cross reference it with other astrologers to determine what is the most general. I have not read anything by Lantero or Close yet, but the dozens of other I have read have come to the same consensus.

Can you give an example of any of the dozens of books you have read on Chiron?

Erminie Lantero, is one of the pioneers on Chiron, and she was involved with the astronomers and astrologers that with her pioneered the studies of Chiron for the Ephemeris, and of the astrology thereof.

Maybe in your study of the dozens of books you have read, you could share the wisdom you have learned?

Names of any or all authors and books would be productive. Curious to know of all the pioneers, of the study, that you know so much of.

Thanks, Opal

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
They don’t call it a Planet. They say it reacts with the strength of in a 1 degree orb. As I wrote.🙂

Opal

Premium Member
I think Chiron has real meaning in a chart, but I wouldn't go so far as calling it a sign ruler without much more research into how it works as a house cusp ruler (lord.)

I am not into New Age evolutionary astrology. I take a much more pragmatic approach. I think Chiron shows us "where it hurts," more or less permanently, which might be physical, emotional, or spiritual. But Chiron also shows where, if we stay open to those hurts, we can gain in wisdom and compassion for other people.

Mythological Chiron was tutor to gods and heroes, and excelled in medical arts. He accidentally wounded himself with an incurable poison.

If we take mythological Chiron (Kheiron) to be the centaur memorialized in Sagittarius, we have some interesting findings.

The constellation Ophiuchus never made it into the 12-sign zodiac, but it is right in this vicinity of the constellations Scorpio and Sagittarius. Ophiuchus, depicted as a man holding two snakes, was also ascribed to the demi-god Asclepius. Asclepius was the son of Apollo, another healing god, who subsequently became assimilated with Phoebus, the sun god, and sort of overtook the latter's role.

Aesclepius was a doctor the god of healing, and father to several goddesses (like Hygeia), who were also associated with healing and health. He was probably the Greek edition of an Egyptian deified doctor, Imhotep.

A big connection is the constellation Ophiuchus as Asclepius. In Greek art, Asclepius was depicted with a staff entwined with two snakes. This became the caduceus symbol of the medical profession.

Back then, astrologers used the sidereal zodiac. Today the locations of the tropical signs of Scorpio and Saggittarius would be about 24 degrees different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asclepius

https://www.theoi.com/Ouranios/Asklepios.html

Hi Waybread,

Sounds like you have read much the same as me. Asklepios, was one of his students too. Your take is very much as Lantero and Clow write about. I have another on Chiron, I will have to find it, and see who authored it. 🙂

Opal

Premium Member
“Al H Morrison, publisher of the CAO Times and Ephremerides of Chiron, offers the following statement.

I still consider Chiron a major planet, in that it is the only one between Saturn and Uranus.”

“I also consider Chiron a major planet because in my experience it works like one in horoscopes.”

“I have not found a hint of Chiron ruling ANY sign, and do not expect to do so.”

He wrote the ephemerides for Chiron. He is “the” pioneer of Chironic astrology.

If I have to believe someone, from a pioneering perspective, he, I guess you could say, wrote the book.

Did you read anything by him?

Lantero quotes many pioneers of Chiron, from when it found November 1, 1977 to when her book was published in 1983. A mere 6 years after Chiron was located and named.

She too is a pioneer of Chiron.

waybread

Thank you, Opal. I read Clow's book a long time ago, but not the others. I agree that Chiron has real meaning in a horoscope, but probably no sign rulership.

To me, a sign rulership is not a simple matter of affinity, but I use house cusp rulers (lords) a lot, so a planet has to demonstrably function in that capacity.

Opal

Premium Member
Thank you, Opal. I read Clow's book a long time ago, but not the others. I agree that Chiron has real meaning in a horoscope, but probably no sign rulership.

To me, a sign rulership is not a simple matter of affinity, but I use house cusp rulers (lords) a lot, so a planet has to demonstrably function in that capacity.

I have been enjoying Lantero immensely. Also, she gives quotes and insights from many of the other pioneers, and the myths, and of history. I am not yet to page 100. Many books, I skim or read just what I am specifically looking for. Not this one. Great readable writer Waybread. You would appreciate her writing.

I am starting to use the house rulers. I like it. And the importance of the meaning of the houses. But we have both used that forever.

I guess, Chiron is somewhat timely for me now. With Pluto, pushing for or demanding transformation. Chiron licks the wound, and on we go. Pluto, even when I was ready, figured, no way man, retrograde, you need more of this. Right now, Chiron is a welcome friend.

Bunraku

wHat does someone do if chiron is prominent and practices the dark arts?

can they see the light of god or has god abandoned them for desecrating themselves with such unholy acts?? please help

waybread

Bunraku, everyone has Chiron somewhere.

I view Chiron as a dynamic process, not as a static set of personality traits.

Someone is wounded, badly. It might be physical or emotional. The Chiron journey is to stay open to the hurt, and from it, to gain in wisdom and compassion for other people.

But sometimes the hurt festers and the person will not release it. They might then be driven to unsavory behaviors such as revenge, victimhood, or a questionable occult practice. Probably it's about trying to regain a sense of control over a chaotic universe, in which life isn't fair.

A prominent Chiron is not necessarily a well-aspected Chiron.

david starling

Bunraku, everyone has Chiron somewhere.

I view Chiron as a dynamic process, not as a static set of personality traits.

Someone is wounded, badly. It might be physical or emotional. The Chiron journey is to stay open to the hurt, and from it, to gain in wisdom and compassion for other people.

But sometimes the hurt festers and the person will not release it. They might then be driven to unsavory behaviors such as revenge, victimhood, or a questionable occult practice. Probably it's about trying to regain a sense of control over a chaotic universe, in which life isn't fair.

A prominent Chiron is not necessarily a well-aspected Chiron.

Good post! It opens up another Sign that might be closely related to Chiron. A Cancer-Sun I once worked outdoors with wasn't wearing gloves, even though the work could be hard on the hands (and, "Chiron" means "hand"). He said, "You gotta FEEL IT, even if it hurts".

CapAquaPis

Chiron is included in the new planetary rulership (the signs' trio) theory model:
Aries: Sun/Mars/Pluto.
Taurus: Mercury/Venus/Ceres.
Gemini: Venus/Mercury/Eris.
Cancer: Moon/Ceres/Sun.
Leo: Mars/Sun/Moon.
Virgo: Jupiter/Mercury/Ceres.
Libra: Saturn/Venus/Eris.
Scorpio: Uranus/Pluto/Mars.
Sagittarius: Neptune/Jupiter/Chiron.
Capricorn: Pluto/Saturn/Uranus.
Aquarius: Eris/Uranus/Saturn.
Pisces: Sedna/Neptune/Jupiter.
The 1st is Revised, 2nd are Standard and 3rd are Traditional+Modern rules.

CapAquaPis

I strongly agree in the theory of Chiron is domiciled in Sagittarius, the symbol of the arrow, to heal and to treat. Chiron has an opposite effect when it is in Scorpio. And Chiron is in it's strongest point in 240' degree (cusp Scorpio-Sag).

Opal

Premium Member
I totally agree so sad that tmany members of this forum do not see the same. I made another thread here:
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141489

Why is it sad?

When reading about the inclusiveness nature to all signs, that the myth of Chiron portrays, it is very enlightening, to find an entity that is considered to be a little piece of all of the signs of the zodiac.

Chiron is a part of us all. It visits everyone, in a house and a sign. By aspect and transit.

As Chiron does not rule the dark occult, I can only guess that Chiron could assist in them being healed or brought to light.

Chiron rules healing, of all, even those that delve into the dark side, but, that does not mean that he can save them from themselves.

Even Chiron felt pain, after the piercing of the arrow, similar to Achilles his student, he in his immortality chose death to the pain he endured.

Opal

Premium Member
Chiron is also very about the preparation or education of heroes.

While yes, the obviousness of Chiron and Sagittarius in physical form and in teaching, Chiron is more inclusive of all.

Chiron is not a planet, it can act with the strength of though.

Maybe your friend, will be able to use the power of Chiron, to heal, and in doing so become a hero, to others in their future.

waybread

I don't know if it is fair to say that mythological Chiron was first and foremost a great healer. He was a medical guy, for sure and the constellation Ophiuchus, thought to represent Ascelpias, is in the same area of the sky as the constellations Sagittarius and Scorpio.

Mythological Chiron was known as a tutor to heroes and gods, for music, wisdom, and prophecy. https://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/KentaurosKheiron.html. These are not 6th house/Virgo qualities.

Opal

Premium Member
I don't know if it is fair to say that mythological Chiron was first and foremost a great healer. He was a medical guy, for sure and the constellation Ophiuchus, thought to represent Ascelpias, is in the same area of the sky as the constellations Sagittarius and Scorpio.

Mythological Chiron was known as a tutor to heroes and gods, for music, wisdom, and prophecy. https://www.theoi.com/Georgikos/KentaurosKheiron.html. These are not 6th house/Virgo qualities.

“Asclepius had his formal education under the centaur Chiron who instructed him in the art of medicine.”

Yes, he was a healer. He taught medicine and the healing arts. The wound he could not heal was his own.

Last edited: