IC/Nadir question

What is the IC/Nadir? I understand the ascendant and decendant and midheaven but whats the IC/Nadir?

also, what does Neptune conjunct/on IC/Nadir mean? how may that be interpreted?

thank you

business voodoo

hi ... natally i have that configuration ... IC/nadir on the libra/scorpio cusp along with neptune ... how i see the nadir is that is the roots of who we are ... if the MC is the highest possible expression or destiny, our IC is the deepest source from which we draw from ... whether it be spiritual ancestry, genetic ancestry, past lives, etc. it is where we dig into in order to grow outward ... its where we prune the roots to grow the tree so to speak.

with neptune there, at least for me, its been about having a deep spiritual ancestry to dig through and sort through ... both in connection with the terran ancestry here on earth (the religion of my fathers, so to speak), as well as perhaps past lives (i've just started to dig into that aspect of that astrological feature), as well as where all my roots really did come from ... whether that be some galaxy far away from past lives or integrated alien/human interactions in my genetic ancestry ...

on a more practical level, i find my art to be extremely spiritual in nature coming from something deep within me that i can only tap into when i work with art, color and forms of an abstract nature.

i hope that helps you a bit too.

rahu

Banned
the nadir also symbolic of your foundations,so it rules the culture ,country and your home.it also rule the foundations of your personality or ego structure.
rahu

I have a Scorpio I.C/ Taurus. If the I.C is the deepest most private part of yourself. I must be a completely private person then with having a Scorpio I.C. Or maybe a lot of buried emotions from the past lurking in there.

When it comes to my home life I hate invaders in my home. You have to book an appointment to see me at home :p . I hate unexpected visitors, I honestly do feel as if my private life is being invaded. My underground layer. My I.C Ruler is in the 2nd house in Libra and squares my Venus. Not really sure what this means, you could say secrets kept at home about love. Which would be true of my last relationship. I kept a lot quiet about what truly went on in that relationship. But I am learning to understand the famous astrological saying AS WITHIN SO WITHOUT. You don't form relationships with abusive people by mistake. I had to be honest with myself why I was with such an angry violent person. I had a lot of rage inside me from childhood from being bullied, my father dying. I was a very angry girl when I entered the relationship with this man. He was essentially mirroring my insides and all my repressed feelings.

Hopefully a deep transformation will take place, rising from the ashes (or something scorpionic like that. :p ) from my deep psychological past.

kimbermoon

I also agree that the Nadir represents our foundations, and the source from which we have come. It does represent our early childhood conditioning as well as our genetics and our cellular memories from the past. I call it the 'Psychic Centre' which in turn later influences our personality development.
Of course more information is provided through the ruler of the IC and the conditions of the Moon at birth.

I think that the 12house has more to do with our private self, while the 4h more accurately describes our conditioned self.

I am a Scorpio personality with Pluto positioned very close to the MC, and this has always been difficult to try to interpret aside from suggesting that my life path has much to do with eventual transformation and regeneration. Indeed I seem to have gone from one crisis to another in my life which has always required me to pick up the pieces and start all over again many many times. I also think the Midheaven shows how we are personally influenced by the external, physical conditions in our lives.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I have also heard that the sign that is on the Nadir is the sign we are least likely to get along with. Mine is in Gemini, and I have a friend who is a Gemini, he and I get into arguments and fights all the time most of the time to the point of completely ignoring each other for a couple of weeks before finally being forced to reconcile via another friend. To make this a bit more interesting, his Nadir is in Leo, the sign which houses my Sun.

Betelgeuse

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
I have also heard that the sign that is on the Nadir is the sign we are least likely to get along with. Mine is in Gemini, and I have a friend who is a Gemini, he and I get into arguments and fights all the time most of the time to the point of completely ignoring each other for a couple of weeks before finally being forced to reconcile via another friend. To make this a bit more interesting, his Nadir is in Leo, the sign which houses my Sun.

Now that would make lot's of sense since Nadir from Arabic ( Nazir ), means " Opposite ".

Nadir is also the house of ereditary diseases ( or genetic ). Also the diseases that didn't materialize yet and are still yet to come ( meaning they are still in the energetic blue-print and needs material crystalization ).

The Immum Coeli ( "lower mid-heaven" ) is also Ypogeon ( "Below the Earth" ). This means the lowest elevation point which we can interpretate in a negative conotation, that it's a place that we fell bad, sorrow, or like hell, ( if we think in some extreme ways to interpretate the matter ) that we need to find refuge ( a sanctuary or home ).

Last edited:

Lissa

My IC is in Aries,and I have Venus(27ºAries)just tightly conjunct it;I remember reading somewhere on the Venus conjunct IC description that activities that the later part of my life would be much more calm and pleasant-so does the IC describe activities in the later part of life?

According to Betelgeuse's explanation,the fact that the sign on the IC shows the sign you're most likely to have problems with does make a lot of sense.Does it mean that the sign on the MC is the one you most like to deal with?That doesn't make much sense-my MC is Libra and I simply don't get along with the typical Librian(did I spell this correctly?lol)type.

Anyway-Venus conjunct the MC shows solitude-I really enjoy spending alone at home and need more time alone than most people my age:) .

Sincerely,
Lissa

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
I would believe Venus being conjunct the IC would show the Librian tension, regardless of the MC. Though, I've never heard of the MC being the sign you most get along with, I always thought this was more something to be assigned to the Descending Sign.

AquarianEssence

From Wiktionary

Etymology

Mediaeval Latin nadir, from Arabic [FONT=Tahoma,Arial Unicode MS,Code2000,Traditional Arabic]نَظِيرُ السَّمْت[/FONT] naẓīru as-samt, nadir, properly "the point opposite [FONT=Tahoma,Arial Unicode MS,Code2000,Traditional Arabic]السَمْتُ[/FONT] (as-samt) the zenith", in which [FONT=Tahoma,Arial Unicode MS,Code2000,Traditional Arabic]نَظِير[/FONT] naẓīr means "counterpart, corresponding to".

I find very little difference between Arabic and Hebrew words, someone correct me if I'm wrong, please. Seeing "nazir" I had to look in my Hebrew dictionary several years ago when I firt noticed this. Hebrew nazir is the root of Nazarite. It means separate, consecrated, set apart, an unpruned vine (the Nazarites don't cut their hair until the vow is completed). There vow includes:

• Abstain from wine, wine vinegar, grapes, and raisins
  • Refrain from cutting one's hair and/or beard
  • Avoid corpses and graves, even those of a family member
The vow was either any set time 30 days or more, for life or for life like Samson. Each had slightly different rules about hair and graves. They could drink other kinds of alcohol and fruits.

Anyway, because of this, I tend to look at the nadir as the vow we made before incarnating. Perhaps we made the vow for a certain amount of time, maybe for life. I happen to have my pars heyleg in this house so that reinforces this idea that the nadir shows our vow or purpose.

I may have a memory of the hair part of the vow. Maybe I've been a Jew before. My Nadir is 7Scorpio. I remember when my mom cut my hair for the first time (6yrs?) I cried and cried. I had beautiful hair but she didn't want to help me take care of it. She just put a horrible perm in it and let it go. I was forced to cut it again about 10 or 11 but I've never had it short since, and never will again. I love grapes and raisins though. I have been with 3 people during there last stage of life, caring for them. Someone told me I live on an Indian burrial ground. I had plans to do a large grape arbor in my front lawn. I did my part, planting the grapes, but my ex never finished 5 of the 6 hand hewn posts I needed. So they are definately unpruned. Now I need to digout and eliminate the grape "field" since every node puts down roots. Moon was square Pluto before I was born showing the problems I might have keeping this vow. But the last aspect before I was born when the Scorpio Moon went void was to trine Uranus showing I enjoy getting rid of what is no longer needed along with remodeling and other Scorpio things.

The three offerings at the completion of the vow are:

a ewe as a sin offering. I think this could be the spiritual mother showing us where we have missed the mark in being our true Self.

lamb as an elevaton offering. This is where we discover the difference between self and Self with a return to innocence.

ram as a peace offering. This is where the vow is put into action. The head and the heart are one and we are at peace.

Connie
http://www.geocities.com/aquarianessence

theV

I have Libra-Scorpio Nadir IC and Aries Taurus Midheaven

I Have Mars and North node and Pltuo in my IC while My mars conjunct my Ic and Opp Mid

M

may28gemini

Wow. I had no idea that whatever sign you have on your IC is the sign you have the most issues with. I didn't realize that you probably wouldn't get along with your MC sign either.
Well, it's definitely true for me!! I have MC Cancer and IC Capricorn. And boy... I've declared Capricorn to be personal non grata when it comes to dealing with them beyond just strict business. Cancer people are really nice but I get a bit irked by their mushiness and desires to be needed by everyone. Both signs are cheap and I absolutely find stinginess intolerable.

Zaphod

Did anyone say this yet? Technically, the IC and nadir aren't the same point. The IC is diametrically opposite the MC and is the point of intersection of the ecliptic and the north-to-south-running lower meridian. The nadir is opposite the zenith, and is the point of intersection of the east-to-west-running prime vertical and the lower meridian. Put another way, in the Northern Hemisphere the IC is more-or-less behind you and below the horizon as you look south toward the MC, while the nadir is directly beneath your feet.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Did anyone say this yet? Technically, the IC and nadir aren't the same point. The IC is diametrically opposite the MC and is the point of intersection of the ecliptic and the north-to-south-running lower meridian. The nadir is opposite the zenith, and is the point of intersection of the east-to-west-running prime vertical and the lower meridian. Put another way, in the Northern Hemisphere the IC is more-or-less behind you and below the horizon as you look south toward the MC, while the nadir is directly beneath your feet.

Excellent technical point; for general astrology (Western and Vedic) the ecliptic-based IC is the relevant "position"; however, when equator based astrology was once used (very ancient Egypt, Babylon, Sumeria)-ane where it is still used (Chinese astrology)-the nadir is the relevant "point"...

Caro

this is an interesting website - posted on a thread awhile ago now.(please see link)

http://www.dearbrutus.com/angularity.html

(You can dig up the thread if you search for 'planets on the angles)

I dont tend to get along with leo's,(My MC) I kind of avoid them cos I find them to be a bit up their own a****. obviously my issues.

aqua is on 4th hoouse cusp, so clearly I dont get along with myself as my sun is there too on IC! I think perhaps this could be explained by I accepted my different nature later in life around early 30's.all parts of the chart are parts of us.

astro11

The IC represents your psychological roots. A planet making a close aspect, especially a conjunction will have a profound effect on your psyche and subconscious mind. This is because it represents your original family and the way you were raised. With Neptune near the IC your parents might have been imaginative, poetic, visionary, spiritual, dreamy, idealistic, artistic, musical on the positive side. However, they could have had escapist tendencies, had substance abuse problems, been deceptive/ confusing, not willing or able to adequately provide for the family, not exercising enough authority or enforcing rules etc.

Since a planet making an aspect to the IC also aspects the MC, it will also affect your career (MC). It would be best to take the qualities of Neptune into account when choosing a career. For example, I have seen many people with Neptune conjunct or oppose the MC in spiritual, artistic, musical, creative writing, cinema/ theater careers doing very well.

theV

Nadir Sign is the sign you are growing to be ? what does that mean ? does that mean I am going to be libra scorpio like ?

poyi

Premium Member
I have Jupiter in Sagiturius conjunctions with IC, south node as well as Uranus.

My early childhood was with my grandfather, he was the local landlord, paediatric doctor and doctor for the civil war back in the cultural evolution time in china, due to the war he lost his lands to the communists. It seems to make sense with the Uranus conjunction.

He was a Christian who believed in liberty due to social status he had two wives though and my grandmother was the second much younger wife who was the daughter of a principle of one of the top universities.

The first wife was from a family with medical background, basically the first marriage for union of two families. He picked his own second wife. He had 7 sons and only 1 daughter.

I believe my Jupiter is about my grandfather. We have a family tree record for more 1000 years old.