Interpretation Methods

astro88

After reading many books, and stuff, I tried a method of my own, a method that is actually used by many astrologers. This one is mostly based on Tracy Marks's method of considering the most outstanding features of the chart.

I made a preliminary synthesis of what I think, are the most important features of my chart*. I want to talk about and even know your opinion.

* I don't consider the relationship between Sun, Moon and Asc for example, because it's a general consideration, not a particular of my chart, but I'm thinking about it.

This method consists in considering any imbalance or other features that seem relevant.

My chart: Oct 11 1988/19:01 (BZT + 3) - Brazil, Rio de Janeiro (it gives Taurus rising at 4º)

I considered these:

- Element Air a bit stronger than the others
- Strong ocidental hemisphere (8 planets)
- Strong Earth houses (enphasis specially in house 6)
- Venus: Strongest Planet (Chart ruler) - Ruler of the Ascendant and Sun
- Sun/Mercury: An inseparable pair (I don't think Mercury is a very strong planet in the chart, but it is intimately related to the Sun, because it is very tightly conjunct and is the only aspect of the Sun, it is like an isolated conjunction, one depends on the other. They also parallel each other, reinforcing the conjunction)
- Moon and Pluto: The angular planets (Although not specially strong, the meaning of these planets is important in the life path)
- Mars: A channel of expression - Again, not the strongest planet, but it's in Aries and the most aspected planet, also it compensate the many debilities of the other planets, being the only strong by sign (Venus is in Virgo, Sun is in Libra, Moon in Scorpio and Jupiter in Gemini)
- Saturn/Uranus conjunction: United principles - Although both are slow planets, it's the strongest conjunction (15') being the meaning of both very integrated, and also the meaning of the houses ruled by them.
- Venus/Mercury mutual reception
- Mars and Jupiter: The Ascendant's allies - The only oriental planets, in sextile, and whose mipoint fall exactly in the rising degree.
- Mercury, Mars and Jupiter retrograde: Inward and subjective functions
- The Nodal Axis - Pisces/Virgo houses 11/5

You might think there are too many considerations, but I think all of them are highlited in some way, specially because my chart doesn't feature any pattern or aspect configuration, or a higly focused point... but I'm very welcome to any responses or opinions.

mwright

the number of considerations seems reasonable.

astrology is just about people. and, this list has no more items than you could probably list about a close, or even casual friend.

first, you notice the most obvious things - this can be the basis of the interpretation.

after looking deeper, your interpretation becomes more refined, but is always relative to what you first noticed.

so, as long as you can identify a central issue in the chart, any list of supporting features shouldn't be a problem.

starlink

Dear Astro88, your approach to a natal chart is fine. I do the same, first look how many planets above or below the horizon, how many in the East or West, looking at the elements and lack of them, then chart patterns (you have a Splash) and Stelliums. Now clearly the emphasis is on serving other people or being of service to other people with the most important planets in the 6th. There could be relationship problems, because the ruler of the 7th, Pluto is in opposition to your Ascendant and the other ruler Mars is in square to Uranus/Saturnus and in an inconjunct (150°) aspect to the Moon, showing fear of being tied down and emotional unease as soon as you are in a relationship. You could be afraid of being bullied or dominated in a relationship (maybe have been at some point). Pluto is not a very nice planet to have in the 7th. You must take care not to attract the wrong type of man. With your Scorpio Sun and Moon, it can also be you who plays the dominant role within a relationship. Thing is, Uranus wants freedom and it squares your Mars. So I consider this the central issue of your chart.
Contrary to what you wrote, you DO have a grand trine between Neptune, Venus and your Ascendant and even though the trine aspect is nice, Neptune could still cause Venus desillusion in love relationships. Venus squares Jupiter, showing lots of different love relationships. Venus in the 5th in Virgo can be quite flirty. Because Jupiter is in the 2nd, it boosts your self-confidence to have romantic flings.

astro88

Hi Starlink, thank you for the answer. You are quite right about relationship, my 2 past girlfriends (I am a man) were both Scorpio, and although I am intense in my relationships, I fear intimacy a little. The freedom/independence issue is very true of me, I have Mars in Aries that somewhat contradict my Libra Sun, and this Mars is in 11th house and square Uranus and sextile Jupiter.

About the Splash pattern, I don't think my chart is "splashed" enough, and I didn't consider the Grand Trine because it involve an angle. I read that configurations must involve planets only, because the angles don't make aspect, just receive them. Anyway, if you consider the angles, I have a Kite, involving the Grand Trine and Pluto in sextile to Venus and Neptune and in opposition to the Ascendant.

Another theme that intrigues me, but you might not consider, is Mars and Jupiter around the Ascendant. Mars is 1º Aries and Jupiter is 5º Gemini, their midpoint is at 3º Taurus, my rising degree (4º). They sextile each other, and the Ascendant semi-sextile Jupiter and Mars (widely). As they are the only eastern planets of the chart, I can interpret as they being my personal tools for self-afirmation. It would explain a lot. I am a very active and adventure person, enjoy diferent kind of sports/activities and like risk-taking. I am not the most confident person, but when it comes to do something that needs energy, enthusiasm and physical presence, you can count on me, I put no limitation to the possibilities, if I can "imagine" I can do it. I practice rock climbing, and I'm starting to practice "le parkour", if you know what is this, you know what I'm talking about.

I am even studying to enter the brazillian Naval College, that form Navy officers, because there I'll be tested to the limits and will have the challenges I want in a career, and will travel all around the world (Jupiter).

Waiting for answers

starlink

Dear Astro88! Yes, configurations are also possible with the Angles and even the Moonnodes, but the Ascendant is totally important and very personal, so I do take that into account. You are quite right about those sextiles towards your Ascendant of Mars and Jupiter. I actually looked mainly to possible problem areas, that's why I mentioned the relationship issue. I think you could become a very adept Naval officer. Strong Mars, Jupiter, a real warrior! for a good cause, serving (6th house Moon, Sun) your country. The Kite you mention actually show creativity and the only problem with a Kite is that it contains 3 different aspects and can make you too selfcontained so there is a chance that you could not use the rest of your chart to your full advantage. Pluto opposed to the Ascendant will give you the awareness to use your sextiles and trines. Good luck to you!