Random Thoughts, strictly Text

david starling

I went to a planetarium show as a kid that was all about the Christmas star and the scientific theories on what it was. I don't remember a conjunction of planets being on the list, but they floated nova, super nova, and comet. They said the wise men would've probably run the other way if they'd seen a comet, because those were considered bad omens.

That was around the time Hailey's Comet was coming around. People were talking about comets a lot.

I like the nova for this. They seem to appear from nowhere because the pre-nova star is usually too faint to see, unaided. Then, they fade away within a few days or so.

Ukpoohbear

Had a customer call confused because he had not received his sms reminder service. He said he was a ‘creature of habit’ and Covid has ruined everything. He was middle-aged but I suspected he was perhaps struggling with the new Age of Aquarius energies, or the introduction to it, anyway, since Jupiter hasn’t met the Sun yet.

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Osamenor has a lovely post on the 21st December thread about why this conjunction is unusual. It reminds me of a question that frequently bugs me: what is the easy way to check parallel and contraparallel aspects? I don’t run any fancy paid programs anymore and last I checked it’s not an option at Astro.com

Actually, it's there. When you're viewing the astro chart there is an area on the page that says additional tables. If you click it, you'll be able to see the declinations of all the planets and houses that you have active. On mobile, there will be a drop-down box that appears when you click the "PDF" icon and you'll be able to find the additional tables hyperlink from there.

conspiracy theorist

How would you describe "Americanized", from your own viewing point?

How is it different from the regular Jamaican culture?

I'm trying to get a more objective view of what's going on in this country.

Through the affluents' access to technology and infrastructure, they are more easily influenced by American culture through media channels. Movies, music, TV shows, internet and such make it easy to assimilate American mores, speech patterns, styles, philosophical attitudes, preferences, food choices.

An example is that the average child that goes to an expensive private school know more about American fast food menus than traditional Jamaican meals -- they become familiar through social study classes (don't know if you folks have that one in your schools but it's like civics)

There are similarities between the two countries. Both have a British heritage and both are melting pots of different peoples who became greater than the sum total of their parts -- the motto of the nation is "Out of Many, One People". So you could say that there were already areas where an American message could easily permeate.

conspiracy theorist

That is fantastic c.t, thank you! You have to look for the aspects manually though, and there’s no way to visualise it, right? The lockdowns have thoroughly exhausted everyone’s eyes on mobile (and their data allowances), surely, not just mine.

Yep, it's all manual and you'll have to visualise those aspects in your imagination. But it does raise interesting questions regarding certain disputes that face astrological practice, like out-of-sign aspects. A planet could be close in declination as well as longitudinally conjunct, yet because it is on the border of signs certain quarters of the astro community would not count it. Visually, it's literally in the same area of the sky, yet it won't count because zodiacally the planets are in signs where modality and element are different -- putting two primary tenets of traditional astrology in direct conflict.

david starling

Through the affluents' access to technology and infrastructure, they are more easily influenced by American culture through media channels. Movies, music, TV shows, internet and such make it easy to assimilate American mores, speech patterns, styles, philosophical attitudes, preferences, food choices.

An example is that the average child that goes to an expensive private school know more about American fast food menus than traditional Jamaican meals -- they become familiar through social study classes (don't know if you folks have that one in your schools but it's like civics)

There are similarities between the two countries. Both have a British heritage and both are melting pots of different peoples who became greater than the sum total of their parts -- the motto of the nation is "Out of Many, One People". So you could say that there were already areas where an American message could easily permeate.

Right. Ours is "E Pluribus Unum".

Just hypothetically, what sort of reaction would someone wearing a red MAGA cap get in most places in Jamaica?

Might make for an interesting video.

Last edited:

david starling

There's some (not much) talk about Puerto Rico becoming a U.S. State.

Jamaica is even closer geographically.

Cuba is REALLY close, and even loves American baseball.

Three new States! :whistling:

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

Right. Ours is "E Pluribus Unum".

Just hypothetically, what sort of reaction would someone wearing a red MAGA cap get in most places in Jamaica?

Might make for an interesting video.

Depends on where you are in the country. In most places, you're going to get 0 response as most don't have enough exposure to connect the notorious red hat to the notorious orange bad man. In a smaller number of places, you can expect to see the kind of responses that are characteristic of the political threads on here.

Do you think the more recent US motto captures the spirit of your country greater than E Pluribus Unum?

Last edited:

conspiracy theorist

There's some (not much) talk about Puerto Rico becoming a U.S. State.

Jamaica is even closer geographically.

Cuba is REALLY close, and even loves American baseball.

Three new States! :whistling:

Cuba is closer to Russia and China in terms of politics so that's a no go. Cuba and Iran are quite buddy buddy with each other. Here's a fun article outlining their friendship.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/11/6/cuba-and-iran-fms-meet-to-mark-alliance-against-us-sanctions

david starling

Depends on where you are in the country. In most places, you're going to get 0 response as most don't have enough expose to connect the notorious red hat to the notorious orange bad man. In a smaller number of places, you can expect to see the kind of responses that are characteristic of the political threads on here.

Do you think the more recent US motto captures the spirit of your country greater than E Pluribus Unum?

That's a Reagan/Trump motto.

Nobody knows exactly what it even means!