members

theV

I wanted to talk about the lack of members' activity here on the site.I love this forum,and there are a lot of good topics need to be discussed.But there is no member to talk about with.A thread gets only two replies and is dead.

I remember when I register here five years ago,it was different there were a lot of people discussing astrology.With the following years most members of the site stopped engaging which sadden me because I like talking about my passion astrology.

I hope everyone starts to engage again.A comment won't hurt.

Blaze

Account Closed
Put "Pluto" before every thread and watch all the activity. :p

But yea, most forums die off after awhile. It's not like many new members come on to actually learn something. Most just come on, ask for a reading then leave. We do have some new members on here that seem passionate about Astrology though.

Love2Know

Yeah well actually needs to be unified and validated also maybe this forum needs fb twitter inatagram as another outlet. The trend is really visual/ fast sinpets of info which can be explored in depth on this forum if people are interested.

emily23

Forums change as do people, they go up and down, I post on various ones, get the best of all worlds and never a good idea to put all your eggs in one basket

This one has enough characters and people with enquiring minds and others with real professional knowledge and interest...it's OK IMO....

:wink:

Bunraku

I think internet communities such as forums are dying. People are all flocking to Facebook, twitter, or other social media websites.

unique_astrology

Participation is driven by interest. Here is a simple summary of participation in the various categories listed in AW.

I think it is accurate with the exception of Forensic Astrology which would have many fewer posts if those for sports astrology had their own category.

xrWLqZz.gif

muchacho

I wanted to talk about the lack of members' activity here on the site.I love this forum,and there are a lot of good topics need to be discussed.But there is no member to talk about with.A thread gets only two replies and is dead.
Seems to me that's because most of the questions that are asked here can be answered with a single post.

I remember when I register here five years ago,it was different there were a lot of people discussing astrology.With the following years most members of the site stopped engaging which sadden me because I like talking about my passion astrology.

I'd say for that to happen the nature and quality of the questions would have to change.

19000 MEMBERS ONLY 800 are active
What does 'active' even mean? My impression is that there's about a dozen new members per day that we can add to the active list and there's an equally high number of members per day that we can add to the passive list. The number of members that regularly post here is rather low, probably way less than 10% of the active members. Just my personal observation and speculation. :smile:

ashriia

I noticed many regular members leaving the forum mid -2014. And then some fell ill late 2014 and left altogether 2015, sadly.

I know personally speaking I often enjoyed coming to the forum because of knowledgeable astrologers we had here at one time. There was also less "I'm right, your wrong" approaches regardless of a conflict of methodologies. The one time posters make the forum interesting. But the regulars are the foundation here. Kind of like logging into your astrology extended family. You know kind of what to expect from their threads, personality quirks etc. and its kind of comforting in a weird way. When there is less of them. One might not want to log in as much, that is definitely the case with me.

This may also be a changing of the guard period though. By the way, not saying that there still aren't knowledgeable astrologers here. But the number of them is far smaller than it was.

theV

I noticed many regular members leaving the forum mid -2014. And then some fell ill late 2014 and left altogether 2015, sadly.

I know personally speaking I often enjoyed coming to the forum because of knowledgeable astrologers we had here at one time. There was also less "I'm right, your wrong" approaches regardless of a conflict of methodologies. The one time posters make the forum interesting. But the regulars are the foundation here. Kind of like logging into your astrology extended family. You know kind of what to expect from their threads, personality quirks etc. and its kind of comforting in a weird way. When there is less of them. One might not want to log in as much, that is definitely the case with me.

This may also be a changing of the guard period though. By the way, not saying that there still aren't knowledgeable astrologers here. But the number of them is far smaller than it was.

This is so true,and it also my case.I love how the forum was back in 2011,when I first registered.There were so many great members and astrologers here which made me long on daily to see new threads,replies and posts.I lost interest after many members stopped coming to the forum.I rarely logged on here,but I kept learning astrology.

JUPITERASC

This is so true,and it also my case.I love how the forum was back in 2011,when I first registered.There were so many great members and astrologers here which made me long on daily to see new threads,replies and posts.I lost interest after many members stopped coming to the forum.I rarely logged on here,but I kept learning astrology.

Nostalgia just ain't what it used to be
:smile:

quote-everything-changes-but-change-itself-everything-flows-and-nothing-remains-the-same-you-cannot-heraclitus-344145.jpg

2Q==

psydellica

Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the short-attention-span inducing habits brought to us by twitter and the likes.
My first internet social media experiences were local forums just like this one, and communities on livejournal, and honestly I miss the good ol days ;)
I was pretty stoked to find this forum, and truly hope communities like this aren't dying off!

athenian200

I think it's because the majority of new members want their charts read, and there are a decreasing number of amateur astrologers willing to interpret charts for free. Most Astrologers these days, unless they're really good or professional, just charge people money for canned interpretations. So there's no need for them to hone their skills very much anymore.

So, I think the difficulty we have here is with attracting Astrologers that want to have serious public discussions about more arcane ideas. Many of them would prefer to keep their knowledge close to their chest, and do their research in private.

I think the best way to get more people on this site would be to get more people interested in studying Astrology beyond just having their own chart read.

conspiracy theorist

The internet is much more polished and sanitized than what it used to be prior to the social media explosion. Folks will always pick the mainstream sites over more fringe places, like this one. Personally, I'd say 97% of the people I know don't use more than youtube, facebook, twitter, instagram and movie streaming sites. I'm not a fan of social media websites so a lot of my online time is spent on venturing the vast array of what the net has to offer.

Astrology is also a fringe interest, at least to the extent that the people here delve into it. I doubt we are going to get many people coming here to enact the new astrologyweekly renaissance. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, though.

ashriia

Personally I'm a bit disappointed with the short-attention-span inducing habits brought to us by twitter and the likes.

Yep, me too.

I think all that facebooking and twittering is also breeding a culture of depressed narcissists with short attention spans! lol.:whistling:

Many astrologers here are virgo and gemini influenced. Both interested in gathering details, info and reading tons. plus so many astrologers are introverts. So I don't think this forum is going to go under any time soon. As looking at a bunch of astrology pictures via facebook or twitter and showing your friends and family how cool you are, just won't cut it for someone with a serious interest in astrology IMO.

Bunraku

The internet is much more polished and sanitized than what it used to be prior to the social media explosion. Folks will always pick the mainstream sites over more fringe places, like this one. Personally, I'd say 97% of the people I know don't use more than youtube, facebook, twitter, instagram and movie streaming sites. I'm not a fan of social media websites so a lot of my online time is spent on venturing the vast array of what the net has to offer.

Astrology is also a fringe interest, at least to the extent that the people here delve into it. I doubt we are going to get many people coming here to enact the new astrologyweekly renaissance. I'd be pleasantly surprised if I'm wrong, though.
Geocities being taken down should have clearly sent the message that the age of the old internet has been finally buried. The internet is in some sort of American Industrialism era where massive monopolies dominate the setting and people only work for and buy what the few, dominating industries have to offer.

Interesting fact: Google doesn't display all pages when you use it. Despite it listing some massive number, like say 10,000,000, it only shows a few of what it found from the search. :annoyed:
So there is that factor that popular search engines limit your vision to only the most popular of pages.

conspiracy theorist

Geocities being taken down should have clearly sent the message that the age of the old internet has been finally buried. The internet is in some sort of American Industrialism era where massive monopolies dominate the setting and people only work for and buy what the few, dominating industries have to offer.

Interesting fact: Google doesn't display all pages when you use it. Despite it listing some massive number, like say 10,000,000, it only shows a few of what it found from the search. :annoyed:
So there is that factor that popular search engines limit your vision to only the most popular of pages.

It's sad. I wasn't old enough to really get to experience the non-mainstream web but when I'd occasionally stumble upon some of the older webpages around they never failed to suck me in. There was an 'aliveness' to these pages that I found exciting and even though many of them were gaudy as hell, it was a gaudiness that worked.

I'm well aware of google and there tendency to omit all but the most popular of pages. Not only are they keeping you within a tiny pool of websites but by doing so they limit the amount of ideas people have at their disposal. When everyone is congregating to these select few sites then it is easier to socially engineer them into entertaining certain ideologies/attitudes. If a group had the influence/money they could use these sites for indoctrinating people into believing certain things that are actually detrimental/useless to the populace - such is the power of propaganda.

Conspiracies aside, astrology takes some time to get the hang of. There are 300+ lurkers daily and I suspect some of them are consistently coming here. Maybe they rather soak up all the information that the site has accumulated over the years? I lurked this site a whole year before I decided to make an account.

Some of you lurkers should make an account and participate, maybe you will surprise yourself at how constructive and informative your viewpoints can be for the rest of us.

ALRESCHA

I find it shocking that a website this big and old doesn't yet contain a thread for each of the aspects, configurations, placements, asteroids, lots where people share their experience... And what about Mundane Astrology? It's shocking that so few take an interest.

I have found forums with tiny astrology sub-forums that do have threads like that and are far more lively.

People rarely write on such threads here.

The question is why did they leave and why are the majority of those astrologers that left the elderly, not the youths that tweet 24/7?