How long do effects of transits last?

Inside Out Orange

From what I've read the efffects of transits can be felt for a period of time afterwards, e,g, a Jupiter return brings expansion and optimism for the following year.

How long one could expect the effects of a transit to a natal planet to last, or is it an everlasting effect because they all cause growth and change?

Obviously different planets have different timings (e.g. inner planets move on very quickly) and sometimes a transit can occur up to three times (e.g. Saturn is about to conjunct my Mercury having been there last November).

Last edited:

starlink

Hi Insideout!

Indeed, transits are not only felt when the exact conjunction, or any other aspect takes place. Of course, the personal planets move mighty fast compared to the trans- Saturnal one's. Jupiter and Saturn medium speed and on a daily or weekly basis, wanting to know what you could expect from day to day, I would just look at the personal planets, especially the Moon for mood swings and such. these orbs can be taken very minimal.

However, you always have to keep the placements of the heavier planets as background to what the lighter are doing in your chart.

Example: Progressed Moon is conjunct Saturn and you also have transiting Saturn sextile Mars over a period of 6 month or so. This could show that you will be far more determined and serious at work maybe or in another department, ruled by Mars in your chart. Imagine Mars rules your 7th. You will probably more than usually, be busy with the initiation and forming of relationships in your life. You want a partner, you want a family maybe.

Now look at transiting Mars. Through which house does he move, which aspects will he make (this week or next week, whenever). This will show how you will take action in order to find a companion.
In all this, you will never see strong emphasis ONLY when there is an exact aspect. Usually, and especially with the slower moving planets, you should not only start counting at least 5° before the exact aspect will be made, but also 5° afterwards. Very often those show more impact! In the Ephemeries you then can see which month in a particular year the influence of a certain planet will be emphasized more.

With retrograde planets which cross over the same point sometimes about 3 times, you will notice that the 1st time it could be like being hit on the head, the 2nd time you recognize the signs and can duck to avoid being hit again and the 3rd time you should have learned your lesson and know how to handle the situation, all things considered. Especially with Saturn transits where we always have to learn something. With Uranus one might be very averse to changing certain ways or situations, but Uranus keeps on hitting you until you see that change means growth and the same goes for Pluto where letting go of unnecessary baggage and consequently go through a personal transformation, will be felt as very scary and threatening first time around, but slowly you will get used to the changes and you notice that you could even become brave at a certain point. After everything is over, you feel euphoric, (as long as you look at all these things as life lessons to help us grow and not start feeling sorry for yourself).

These "adaption" times can take as long as 2 to 3 years. Count beginning 5° before and ending 5° after exact aspect.

Neptune goes in a way softer on us, but far more confusing. Personally I find Neptune the most difficult to handle. you just dont know what the heck is going on and how to find your direction, sometimes for a very long time when squares and oppositions are the case. With the other planets, you can at least think, with Neptune your mind is usually foggy, and probably a bit less when accompanied by a strong positive Saturn direction or progression. Under such circumstances people can create beautiful art or music, especially when Neptune squares or opposes Venus.

Cheers, Starlink

cjc

Hi, Star,

I agree with almost everything you say, but I feel a 5-degree orb may be a little wide. That's YEARS with Pluto.

However, this discussion brings out a point I've wondered about for a while. Although most of my predictions are fairly accurate, my timing is lousy... I'm usually early. And something I've been thinking about (especially with transits by the outers) is precession... epecially with antiques like us! Basically, the shift is 10 minutes of arc for every 12 years of life (1 degree every 72 years). Allowing for this would shrink the orb going in but extend it coming out of a transit.

Have you ever considered this? Would it deserve a new thread?

Happy Sunday!

c

starlink

but I feel a 5-degree orb may be a little wide. That's YEARS with Pluto.
Yes of course, sorry, this one applies to directions only, Solar Arc. They move 1° per year, like the Sun.
So correction here: Pluto, Neptune and Uranus, 5° per Solar Arc and Saturn and Jupiter just normal.

my timing is lousy... I'm usually early
are you talking about your own birthchart or does this happen with other charts as well. If not, your birthhour maybe should be adjusted?

Allowing for this would shrink the orb going in but extend it coming out of a transit.
Well, this is indeed interesting. I am a lousy mathematician so would not get far with this, but there are some Virgo's around maybe, who would love to delve into these sort of calculations:)

Have you ever considered this?
I'm afraid not.....

Would it deserve a new thread?
Why not? Just give it a try. When there are no responses, then just leave it at that.

Good night! Starlink

cjc

Hello, Star...

In answer to you question about my timing, it's with all charts.

The only exception I canj think of was one I was discussing with someone at a meeting of the Princeton astro group. I mentioned that everything I had predicted had happened to this woman... but a year late! A little old lady who had been eavesdropping chipped in. "Musta been born in Indiana." She was right! That state has some ******* ("skrued" This censorship is getting to be riduculous. I can understand the hard-core garbqage, but what is wrong with language heard on the daily news? Maybe a bit more effort should be put into stopping 16 year-old kids from posting threads such as Phone Sex) up time zones. I checked and found out there was a discrepency between standard and daylight times in her chart.

OK... let me see if there's any interest in a thrtead on precession. At least it will separate astrologers from Sun-sign freaks.

Sleep well.

c

Last edited:

starlink

I remember having done a chart once for a woman who was born in Holland. I did a Solar Return. Everything happened, but a year later as well. Dont know about the differences in standart and daylight time with her, it was a long time ago.
Sorry about the automatic censorship, I guess they just put in a number of swearwords and the likes. Words like "s.c.r.e.w.e.d. up can be used of course in different ways dont forget. In your case, OK, no problem, but if someone says to somebody else, your are sc..... up, then of course, there should be sensorship. The computer cannot tell the difference alas! Just have to live with it I'm afraid or write it like I did.:) Hope I dont get a reprimande about suggesting this to you LOL!

Cheers, Star.

Inside Out Orange

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to think them through a bit later when I've got more time.

It's worth saying that I've read Robert Hand's Planets in Transit book and he gives a number of rules on how to interpret transits. These include that transits have no orbs; and that we do need to account for precession. What he doesn't say (at least not in a nice self-contained section) is how long transits last for, which is where my question evolves from.

Now that's not to disqualify or discourage anyone else's opinions or comments, just to put forth another viewpoint. As I say, when I've got a little more time I'll think the comments on here through; and post Hand's rules for further discussion.

Once again thus far, thanks. It's interesting discussion.

cjc

IOO...

Hand's PiT has been the bible for predictive astrology for decades. I even have the hardback edition, which is really worn out!

The one thing I've always had a problem with is his formula for timing... combining all transit orbs and reducing them to null. The math isn't that hard, but how do you know which transits to include for any particular event...?

Star...

As usual you're right on target! As far as your Dutch client, any chance of getting time zones mixed up? If looking at the angles, I normally give wide latitude because of imprecise birth times. When my first daughter was born I set my wtch to ABC network time and was in the delivery room. The nurse put her birth time on the birth certificate as 10 minutes later... 2-1/2 degrees on the angles, and easily a year off for timing the outers.

LK...

Never been to Indiana... and I don't drink water, anyway!

L8R!

c

Inside Out Orange

Inside Out Orange said:
It's worth saying that I've read Robert Hand's Planets in Transit book and he gives a number of rules on how to interpret transits. These include that transits have no orbs; and that we do need to account for precession.

So these are Hand's rules for transits ...

1) An outer-planet transit is usually accurately timed by an inner-planet transit that approximately coincides with it and reinforces the nature of the outer-planet transit.

(Further comment: The Sun and Mars most often perform this timing function, although sometimes Mercury will be important in indicating when an event becomes known to you consciously).

2) Strictly speaking, there is no such thing as an 'orb' of influence concerning a transit.

3) When a number of transits describe an event, the time of the event will be closest to the time when the average orb of all the transiting planets approaches zero.

4) If two planets that are in aspect in a natal chart are being transited, the influence leading up to an event will peak and thereby time the event when the transiting planet contacts each of the two natal planets exactly and also when it is exactly halfway between the two transits in arc.

5) On a certain date a group of transiting planets, perhaps all inner planets, may form a complex of aspects among themselves. If that complex transits a natal planet, an event will occur in the native's life that bears the symbolism of the natal planet combined with that of the transiting planets.

(Further comment: The important point to note here is that no outer-planet transit is required to bring about the effect, and the event can be quite significant).

6) If several planets simultaneously transit the natal chart by the same minor aspect, an event will occur that is appropriate to the nature of that aspect and to the planets involved.

Precession correction ... having calculated the correction (1 degree per 72 years - easy for me as I'm 36!) ... you either add it to the natal positions, or subtract it from the transiting positions.

starlink

Thanks very much for attributing this information Insideout! these sort of things are always very helpful.
Cheers, Starlink

barty

cjc said:
This censorship is getting to be riduculous. I can understand the hard-core garbqage, but what is wrong with language heard on the daily news? Maybe a bit more effort should be put into stopping 16 year-old kids from posting threads such as Phone Sex)

A big new thread, methinks, cjc. If you feel like starting it, that could be very interesting :mad:

Swim

Hi Insideout!

Indeed, transits are not only felt when the exact conjunction, or any other aspect takes place. Of course, the personal planets move mighty fast compared to the trans- Saturnal one's. Jupiter and Saturn medium speed and on a daily or weekly basis, wanting to know what you could expect from day to day, I would just look at the personal planets, especially the Moon for mood swings and such. these orbs can be taken very minimal.

However, you always have to keep the placements of the heavier planets as background to what the lighter are doing in your chart.

Example: Progressed Moon is conjunct Saturn and you also have transiting Saturn sextile Mars over a period of 6 month or so. This could show that you will be far more determined and serious at work maybe or in another department, ruled by Mars in your chart. Imagine Mars rules your 7th. You will probably more than usually, be busy with the initiation and forming of relationships in your life. You want a partner, you want a family maybe.

Now look at transiting Mars. Through which house does he move, which aspects will he make (this week or next week, whenever). This will show how you will take action in order to find a companion.
In all this, you will never see strong emphasis ONLY when there is an exact aspect. Usually, and especially with the slower moving planets, you should not only start counting at least 5° before the exact aspect will be made, but also 5° afterwards. Very often those show more impact! In the Ephemeries you then can see which month in a particular year the influence of a certain planet will be emphasized more.

With retrograde planets which cross over the same point sometimes about 3 times, you will notice that the 1st time it could be like being hit on the head, the 2nd time you recognize the signs and can duck to avoid being hit again and the 3rd time you should have learned your lesson and know how to handle the situation, all things considered. Especially with Saturn transits where we always have to learn something. With Uranus one might be very averse to changing certain ways or situations, but Uranus keeps on hitting you until you see that change means growth and the same goes for Pluto where letting go of unnecessary baggage and consequently go through a personal transformation, will be felt as very scary and threatening first time around, but slowly you will get used to the changes and you notice that you could even become brave at a certain point. After everything is over, you feel euphoric, (as long as you look at all these things as life lessons to help us grow and not start feeling sorry for yourself).

These "adaption" times can take as long as 2 to 3 years. Count beginning 5° before and ending 5° after exact aspect.

Neptune goes in a way softer on us, but far more confusing. Personally I find Neptune the most difficult to handle. you just dont know what the heck is going on and how to find your direction, sometimes for a very long time when squares and oppositions are the case. With the other planets, you can at least think, with Neptune your mind is usually foggy, and probably a bit less when accompanied by a strong positive Saturn direction or progression. Under such circumstances people can create beautiful art or music, especially when Neptune squares or opposes Venus.

Cheers, Starlink

I could not disagree more with your points about personal growth and baggage and bravery. It is so often on astrology sites that I suppose as a need to understand, people attribute "growth" as an outcome to difficult transits.
26 years ago I had a hard Pluto transit and while living at home with my parents, my mother beat me to a pulp and made me live outside during the winter for a week. All my friends were either away at school or deathly I'll or out of town. I have been traumatized ever since. The series of events that occurred during the peak of that transit are incomprehensible to astrologers and therapists alike. I almost died and relive it almost daily. The Pollyanna- ish view of getting rid of baggage and growing in personal strength is a wishy washy flimsy way of trying to take control of things beyond your control and frankly those of us who have true hard aspect charts find it insulting. Please stop, and maybe grow beyond Your limitations of your view of transits.

northernstar

Hi Insideout!

Cheers, Starlink

Hi! I have been wondering about the same thing w regard to transits, and my confusion has only grown whereas different astro sites provide quite varying durations of transits!

I have been into Pluto transits in particular, lately, as P is crossing my DC soon. In LIz Greene's yearly horoscope analysis at astro.com, it is stated that my Pluto conj DC-transit will last from beginning of March 2016 until mid November 2019! While in the short report forecast at astro.com written by Robert Hand, the same transit is said to last from early February 2017 to mid December 2018 - that is 11 months shorter in each end!!

Who would you agree with here? I have another thread going about this transit so apologize if I nag about this, but am very curious about this impact.. As I have written in my other thread, I've experienced a lot of stuff this year that resembles the alleged effects of this transit (from may/June 2016 and up until now) - so I guess I've felt it already... (Confused as to whether these are effects of my transit mainly, or a couple of hard transits that my husband deals with also involving relationships...).

I read someplace else that people said they'd feel the impact of Pluto transits for approximately 20 months, but if Liz Greene is right we are talking more than 3.5 yrs!! I understand that the mid stage of this period would of course be more intense than the very start /end, but still it's a big difference. Deep down i hope the shortest duration is most correct, since this transit is a tough one..

Last edited:

Soma

Hi Insideout!

Cheers, Starlink

The idea that something has to be “learned” is completely worn out and relies heavily on an old religious archetype. I can guarantee you many many clients who have gone through life changing and traumatic transits and there was nothing to learn from it except to run at the next transit. I’m sure as a civilization we’ve “learned” to grow past such archaic notions as the universal force being present for us to “learn.” Ridiculous and gives astrology the bad name we try to fight against.

Inside Out Orange

Wow, nine years ago that I asked that question. Transits aside, I certainly learned a lot about astrology in the meantime. Of all the transits I've undergone since then, the Saturn conjunct Mercury referenced in the original post was probably the least concerning. I had seven consecutive of various Neptune transits that I was begging to end from 2009-16.

Couple of people replying saying "It's not about growth or learning". Maybe we come to the boards with a different understanding of what those terms mean. As I have Saturn in Gemini on cusp of 1st/2nd, I see a lot of life through the lens of learning.

What I'd currently say is that transits can help us find our authentic self and break down the ego. It's usually easier to look at someone else's life and see what their ego is blocking them from doing. 'Bad' transits can really amplify that situation and force the issue.

Transits are just like the weather, in that they happen and you have to adapt to them. If your ego likes wearing summer clothes, then you're going to have a miserable time if you're unwilling to put on something more protective when it's snowing in the middle of winter. If you get frostbite then you're likely going to be unhappy about it until you can nurture yourself through to acceptance but hopefully you also learn from the experience to avoid it happening again. Some people don't and will complain bitterly that the weather forecast didn't warn them or that they had to go out because they had to get to work or whatever. Anything to blame others rather than to accept responsibility and chip away at their ego.

Purple9

I could not disagree more with your points about personal growth and baggage and bravery. It is so often on astrology sites that I suppose as a need to understand, people attribute "growth" as an outcome to difficult transits.
26 years ago I had a hard Pluto transit and while living at home with my parents, my mother beat me to a pulp and made me live outside during the winter for a week. All my friends were either away at school or deathly I'll or out of town. I have been traumatized ever since. The series of events that occurred during the peak of that transit are incomprehensible to astrologers and therapists alike. I almost died and relive it almost daily. The Pollyanna- ish view of getting rid of baggage and growing in personal strength is a wishy washy flimsy way of trying to take control of things beyond your control and frankly those of us who have true hard aspect charts find it insulting. Please stop, and maybe grow beyond Your limitations of your view of transits.

Sorry for your terrifying experience. How old were you if it is not a secret? I don't think you are meant to learn to take control of things beyond your control but to learn to regroup therefrom and take control of those things within the equation that you can control. Transits or no transits. As you grow you come to more options unless you are really really unlucky and restricted in a functionless body and can't move away from your abuser/s but suffer at their hands until the day you die...because that kind of thing has also been known to happen.

As a side-note, but perhaps of more substance...I am worried about the kind of therapists you have been seeing if you are suffering with PTSD for the past 26 years. I would also be curious to find out what happened to your mother within those 26 years since then...because "lessons" are not only yours.