Does my chart show an afinity for religious study?

Oddity

You might do better with third house religions than ninth, just because your ninth rulers (domicile and exalted) are opposite each other and squaring your ninth cusp. What I can't say is if it would spur you on in religious studies, or create problems - it could do both.

Your third house ruler, Venus, is angular, in domicile, and sees the third house, which is also an interesting area of study.

Ninth house is the house of the god, third is the house of the goddess. In practical terms, that usually means that ninth house religion is the prominent religion where you live, and third house is religions out of favour, or smaller ones.

Both houses have to do with prophecy, though the ninth is more formal divination, and the third is more things like dream interpretation and omens, though in practice I haven't seen that much of a hard-and-fast split when it comes down to it.

Osamenor

Staff member
You must have some affinity for religious study, otherwise you wouldn't be asking this question. What kind of religious study do you feel drawn to? Reading anything and everything about religion? Visiting churches and other religious meetings and events? Attending seminary? Any particular kind of religion that you're drawn to--Christianity, Paganism, Buddhism, etc.? Do you have any particular goals when it comes to religious study, or is it just what you want to know for yourself?

Logically, if you're drawn to it, it must not be incompatible with your birth chart. I'm curious myself as to what placements might draw someone into religious study. I feel that affinity myself, and I've been giving the credit to my Sagittarian moon in the twelfth, in grand trine with Jupiter on my IC and sun in the eighth. Seems to me that the eighth and twelfth houses would be especially pertinent to religion, because they tap into the collective unconscious and the roots of myth and religious practice. I don't suppose traditional astrology gives them those meanings, though. And I knew ninth house was associated with religion, didn't know third house also was.

Looking at your chart... eighth house Jupiter in Pisces, forming a trine with your sun, looks like an indicator to me. Jupiter's indicators include religion, faith, and scholarship; it's the traditional ruler of Pisces, which has a natural affinity for religion; and the eighth house seems like it would make those indicators shine. Then, your sun's placement: eleventh house indicators include society, belonging, finding your tribe, and Cancer can also indicate sense of identity, who your "clan" is. Put that together, and your religious study can feed your sense of religious identity and belonging to a group. Eleventh house also indicates social movements, and religions, especially new and alternative religions, are often involved with social movements and/or are social movements in and of themselves.

Looking at your third house, Pluto in Scorpio in the third could be another spirituality indicator, in the eighth house sense. And it forms sextiles with your moon and Venus and Neptune... seems like more indicators right there. And then this seems to be the real ace in the hole: you have your south node in the third and north node in the ninth. Looks like your karmic journey involves deep learning of some kind, and Jupiter sextiles your ninth house north node ruler, Mars... indicating that it's a helpful planet for the purpose of moving from south to north nodes.

Osamenor

Staff member
You might do better with third house religions than ninth, just because your ninth rulers (domicile and exalted) are opposite each other and squaring your ninth cusp. What I can't say is if it would spur you on in religious studies, or create problems - it could do both.

Your third house ruler, Venus, is angular, in domicile, and sees the third house, which is also an interesting area of study.

Ninth house is the house of the god, third is the house of the goddess. In practical terms, that usually means that ninth house religion is the prominent religion where you live, and third house is religions out of favour, or smaller ones.

I would think anyone who frequents astrology forums is more suited to third house religions, as you describe them, because the mainstream religions in our society tend not to be very friendly with astrology.

But... does that third/ninth house rulers test necessarily hold up? I don't want to hijack the thread by making a long and detailed post, but I just looked at a couple of charts belonging to people famous for their involvement in religion-based social movements, one ninth house religion and the other third house (Martin Luther King for ninth--he was a Baptist minister--and Starhawk for third--literally goddess religion!). I'm not quite sure that test holds up with either of them. King has a similar opposition between his traditional ninth house rulers, and neither of them aspects the ninth house. His third house rulers look a little better, and his Part of Fortune is also in the third. Starhawk has some interesting placements that, based on my reading, seem to balance ninth and third houses. But majority religion was never an option for her--even if she hadn't "converted," she was born and raised Jewish.

Interestingly, they both have sun in the ninth house conjunct the MC and Venus in the eleventh.

Love2Know

Thank you both. I was asking because I always enjoyed taking religion courses in university, especially in studying how they shape society and the motivation behind mass conciousness. I am a firm believer that everything is connected and to only look at 1 religion is to only see one peiece of the puzzle. I was more into religious philosophy and world religion though I was not oppose to taking heavily focused courses on a specific aspect of one religion. I also enjoy going into extreme detail. I am very good at reading people around me in my enviornment and figuring out their next move or what they are thinking. I guess I was just curious why I had this "random" interest and abilities in these topics. I am thinking about having a future career for money but that could be doing anything really. I was born moody but overly optimistic even though my bad moods can be fast and furious it is usually due to me feeling reistricted. So attending religious ceremony does very little for me. To go study it does more for me lol.

IleneK

Premium Member
I think religious studies as a higher pursuit would be characterized by the 9th house. Your North Node in the 9th, according to modern interpretation, points to what you are being called to learn in this life being in the domain of the 9th. So I see your pursuing religious studies as a one means of living out your life's calling.

Love2Know

I think religious studies as a higher pursuit would be characterized by the 9th house. Your North Node in the 9th, according to modern interpretation, points to what you are being called to learn in this life being in the domain of the 9th. So I see your pursuing religious studies as a one means of living out your life's calling.

Interesting yea thank you. I can see that. I actually assumed my 9 th aries coupled with taurus mc destined me to be a wine and food show host travelling aroynd the world *fantasies* :)

Love2Know

Interesting yea thank you. I can see that. I actually assumed my 9 th aries coupled with taurus mc destined me to be a wine and food show host travelling aroynd the world *fantasies* :)

Osamenor

Staff member
Thank you both. I was asking because I always enjoyed taking religion courses in university, especially in studying how they shape society and the motivation behind mass conciousness.
Wow... perfect description of Pisces in the eighth house! Mass consciousness, collective unconscious, forces that shape society... fits very well! Eleventh house, too.
I am very good at reading people around me in my enviornment and figuring out their next move or what they are thinking. I guess I was just curious why I had this "random" interest and abilities in these topics.
Pisces loves psychology, the human mind, and exploration of consciousness. So do Cancer and Scorpio, though in somewhat different ways. Not only do you have a trine between Cancer sun and Pisces Jupiter, you also have Pluto in Scorpio in the third house, informing your ways of communicating.

IleneK

Premium Member

That, too :)
And returning to the question about religious study pursuits. I really do see it. The ruler of your 9th, exalted Mars, applies to a sextile with dignified Jupiter in Pisces. In modern astrology, Jupiter is thought to be connected to the 9th in modern astrology; Pisces with the 12th house of transfiguration and boundlessness.
This dignified Jupiter also applies to a trine with your natal Sun. So a deeply spiritual journey could be the centerpiece of your life, perhaps accompanying a piece of delicious pastry on a cruise ship show...