Pluto in Dignity and Debility

The Ram

BELOW IS A TABLE OF THE ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES OF THE PLANETS THAT DATES BACK TO NEARLY TWO THOUSAND YEARS AGO - AND WORKS EXCELLENTLY!! :smile:

dignities2.gif
But the age it was created is exactly why the new planets aren't included. The outer planets weren't known back then, so of course a table from 2000 years ago wouldn't include them.

For it's time this was a great table and still is for the planets/points it's representing, but I see no reason why with other planets coming into play ppl can't create new exaltations and rulerships for these new planets.

Only problem I have with the Ptolemy table is merc ruling and being exalted in virgo, I find that somewhat redundant.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Following the lead of early Modernist Charles Carter, I have come to consider Pluto as being a composite of the qualities/influences of Mars+Saturn+the Sun*, so finding the dignities and debilities of these 3 planets, MIGHT be a way of approaching making a determination of the dignities/debilities (ie resonances and dissonances) of Pluto...

(* regarding the other outer planets, I have come to consider Uranus to be a compound mixture of the qualities/influences of Mars+Mercury+the Sun, and Neptune to be a compound mixture of the qualities/influences of Venus+Jupiter+the Moon)

The Ram

Hmmmm that's a really interesting view.

I've been thinking of something related to this for awhile now: The Emperor card in the tarot is ruled by Aries, so like the other trumps representing signs I always look at the ruling planets and exaltations cards to give me extra insight on what the sign trump means. Ie The Emperor has the destructive power of The Tower (Mars) to use against his enemies and as a leader also naturally has The Final Judgment (Pluto) over those under him. Ruling a kingdom he has the abundance and manifestation of The Sun.

Yet there's also a very heavy Saturnine influence to the card as well: structure, limitation, form, order, discipline. Partially this could be due to it being the 4th trump, but maybe there's more? The card in many ways rivals The World (Saturn) in Saturnine qualities.

I still see the outer planets being most associated with the 3 personal planets Mars (Pluto), Mercury (Uranus) and Venus (Neptune). But your expanded view of it has given me something to think about.

Abby83

Id like to say that with my pluto in libra, I believe that 'relationships' are a powerful tool and that we all need each other. We are all connected in some way. So restricting yourself from relationships will make you less powerful. Interesting how pluto in libra is considered to be in it's 'fall,' but I think it is only to it's fall when it comes to the qualities of scorpio/pluto. I personally love my Libran qualities. Ever since progressed pluto has entered scorpio in my chart, I find it difficult to deal with. Too many dark stuff pops up and lots of power struggles and control and rape issues being witnessed. So even though pluto here is meant to be strong, I don't like the qualities of it at all. It's very dark.

Marcoilrosso

BELOW IS A TABLE OF THE ESSENTIAL DIGNITIES OF THE PLANETS THAT DATES BACK TO NEARLY TWO THOUSAND YEARS AGO - AND WORKS EXCELLENTLY!! :smile:

NOTE THE ABSENCE OF DWARF PLANET PLUTO

THERE IS NO WAY OF CRAMMING IN ANY OTHER PLANETS WHETHER DWARF OR OTHERWISE WITHOUT COMPLETELY DESTABILIZING THE ORIGINAL CONCEPT OF PLANETARY DIGNITY

FURTHERMORE, EVEN AMONGST MODERN ASTROLOGERS THERE IS NO CONSENSUS REGARDING DIGNITY OR NON-DIGNITY OF DWARF PLANET PLUTO

dignities2.gif

I agree. Experience taught me that planets have peculiar virtues, and those of the three planets especially is to have a range too vast to be schematized in any system of dignity as we had known from the tradition.
For me Pluto has much assonance with Aries, Scorpio, Aquarius (perhaps) and Pisces. Still, I don't call them 'domicile or exaltation', nor suppose that Pluto in the signs opposed would be any detrimented at all.

Last edited: