Free will in astrology

clip11

I read something that said that if you have the majority of planets in the southern and eastern hemisphere of your chart, you have more freedom of will whereas if you have the majority of planets in the northern and western part of your chart, you have less freedom of will and more is decided on fate. How true is this?

clip11

I read something that said that if you have the majority of planets in the southern and eastern hemisphere of your chart, you have more freedom of will whereas if you have the majority of planets in the northern and western part of your chart, you have less freedom of will and more is decided on fate. How true is this?

Anyone know anything??

david starling

Any reason given?

CapAquaPis

I have 6 planets each in my natal northern and Western hemispheres, so is my life half free and fatalistic? My sun moon conjunction in Aquarius 8th is very fatal, I'm not going to enjoy life and this is true with me.

And looking at my noon time asc, a person either has a 9th or 10th house sun automatically, a 9th house sun is a person studies while a 10th house sun is a person works instead. If the 10th house is in the 11th sign or 9th house is in 8th sign on the natal chart, it can mean different life results.

My noon time asc has 15' Gemini or in sidereal, 20' Taurus which covers a half or whole of the fatalist 12th. It is a house of prisons and secrets, and actually, I do have conflicts with Taurus sun mother and brother each.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member

Sounds like a paraphrase of something Steven Forrest wrote. But he didn't use the phrase "freedom of will." I think there's something being misconstrued here.

The eastern hemisphere is the "self" side of the chart. The western hemisphere is the "others" side. If the majority of planets are in the eastern hemisphere (houses 10-3), the native is likely to be a self starter and to have an "I make my own luck" attitude. This is someone who needs to do things by and for themselves, and will probably experience life as a series of choices, with what happens to them being determined by the choices they make.

If the majority of planets are in the western hemisphere (houses 4-9), the native is likely to need to collaborate with others in order to accomplish things, and likely to experience life more as what happens to them than what they choose. This is the person who will find that opportunities come their way rather than being consciously sought out, and when they do make choices, keenly sense the way their options are dependent on their circumstances.

The northern and southern hemisphere differences have to do with need for visibility or lack thereof. If the majority of your planets are above the horizon (southern hemisphere, houses 7-12), you're likely to want your personal accomplishments and milestones recognized by, and shared with, others. If the majority of your planets are below the horizon (northern hemisphere, houses 1-6), your accomplishments and milestones may be personally meaningful to you, but you don't feel much need to have them recognized and shared. Below the horizon is "in here," personal self, private. Above the horizon is "out there," visible, in the world.

So if you have a concentration of planets in houses 1-3, you get the combination of "self" and "personal" as a chart theme. And if you have a concentration of planets in house 7-10, "others" and "out in the world" are a chart theme. The southwest is the westest west, and the northeast is the eastest east. The other houses have more of a mixed theme.

david starling

If your Chart determines whether you have free will, and you didn't freely choose when and where you were born, it's not really "free" will.

sworm09

I don't know where that comes from, but I'm very skeptical.

Putting astrology aside, I struggle with the idea of uninhibited free will. The vast majority of the things in our lives are conditioned by things that our beyond our control, and even things that appear to be within our control (preferences, opinions, predispositions) are heavily conditioned by external factors like our upbringing, life experiences, and chance encounters.

For astrologers it's even worse because for astrology to work at all requires at least some mild degree of determinism. If not the whole predictive endeavor would be worthless.

I'm not a complete determinist, but find idea of free will to be very unclear and very difficult to observe in the real world.

CapAquaPis

Astrology is not only about fate, anyone who reads and understands their natal charts and horoscopes can prevent tragedy and disaster, therefore it's like god or a cosmic deity is telling us what to avoid and we have free will to change an ill-fated prediction from happening. Doctor D of Astrology (Gianpaolo Dicocco) on YT discussed he's saving many lives and treating people's medical issues by astrology, including a covid19 recovery by studying their natal and horoscope. Doctor D's quite controversial in the YT astrology community for many reasons (i.e. his personal opinions and demonization of Hillary Clinton while he praises and promotes Donald Trump in 2016), but his medical background combined with usage of astrological alignments is part of his "free will over fate" aspect.

Blackempress

If your Chart determines whether you have free will, and you didn't freely choose when and where you were born, it's not really "free" will.

It is said that every soul 'chooses' its place of birth and timing to fulfil its purpose. It doesn't feel that way but they say so.

Osamenor answered the question nicely. The Left lower half of the chart is self-development wheres right is public, lower hemisphere is past/home and upper is social/vocational.

Last edited:

david starling

It is said that every soul 'chooses' its place of birth and timing to fulfil its purpose. It doesn't feel that way but they say so.

Osamenor answered the question nicely. The Left lower half of the chart is self-development wheres right is public, lower hemisphere is past/home and upper is social/vocational.

Do we choose our own purpose?

IleneK

Premium Member
Before everyone runs off saying yes or no, maybe we should define the term we are talking about?
How do shall we define free will so we can all be talking about the same thing?

aquarius7000

Hi,

It seems bizarre to think that somebody's natal chart would determine, through placement of planets East, West or North, South as to the amount of free will the native would have.

If, aside from reading free will in a chart, you are interested in understanding the concept of free will itself, try understanding the concept of karma and the free will you have to think and act to put it simply.