After Trump

wan

I never said it would be a panacea.

Let me just put it this way: land ownership is less bad than all the other alternatives that people have come up with. All those things you said, people banding together to rob landowners etc are true and can happen. However what's the alternative? Are you going to give up on landownership for good and start banding together with thugs and goons with the aim to rob people? Somehow I don't think so.

wan

In fact I think your argument only tells me that there is one more reason for (good) people to own firearms. Thugs banding together trying to steal your fruits of labor? Smoke them. Problem solved.

wan

You don't think law abiding citizens can't become monsters when in the right circumstances?

https://www.amazon.com/Ordinary-Men-Reserve-Battalion-Solution-ebook/dp/B01G1F0F84

How many people do you think will hold unto their moral codes when faced with issues of survival?

I didn't view that link. But I don't get your point. All I am saying is that landownership is the least bad of all solutions ever suggested, yet all you do is keep trying to convince me that landowners might get robbed. Which I never denied. What is your point, CT? Are you trying to talk people out of landownership? Do you have an idea that's superior to landownership? If yes, let's hear it.

conspiracy theorist

Read my posts again, wan. Did you not see where I said I believe land ownership is important? I have my own plans where that is concerned which I don't need to make public.

I think it's okay to be realistic about the situation though, which includes thinking about what can go wrong.

wan

Of course, CT, being realistic and planning for what could go wrong are always good. Which means to me that people should not only buy land, but they should also form communities. They need to band together with others who are like-minded, and try and help each other in times of need. And buying firearms is always necessary, too.

This discussion has been very interesting.

david starling

Wan, where I live people not only have firearms to deal with thieves, but are perfectly willing to cleave a perpetrator's head off if caught red-handed. It doesn't stop people from ransacking your place in an apocalypse situation -- even banding together to take over your plot of land if necessary.

I do think that land and property ownership is important, too. It's another way to diversify one's portfolio, so to speak. But if the rule of law collapses like what would occur in an apocalypse situation, then you would have no way to enforce your claim to the land save for force.

As to the question, I could do the third thing and rob the person, or the fourth thing and team up with other like minded people and rob the food, and steal the land. Banding together can go both ways.

I agree with the importance of land ownership, but I don't see it as a panacea.

Seems like ALL land was stolen from SOMEONE over the many centuries.

First by the sword, then by the gun.

Oddity

Where is CT going to get the money to raise a passel of kids, then pay for their education (I'd argue that formal education these days is getting more expensive and more worthless by the minute), and then have enough left over to buy land with?

My own take:

I am not knowledgeable on wealth generation or preservation, however I have an idea on how to "fight" inflation, as it were.

Spend all your money. Yep, I meant it. Spend all of your hard-earned money while it still has value. But don't spend it on useless cheap plastic goods, or things. Spend your money on the many children you will be having. Have many, many of them, then spend your money (while it still has value) giving them good college education. And after this is done, if you still have money left over, buy up land and start growing things. If the apocalypse thing that some people have been predicting really does happen, having precious metals will not do much to help. Yes they are better than fiat money, however what value does gold have when there is no food that you can trade it for? Having land upon which you can grow veggies and raise livestock ensures that you will have something that a lot of people are going to want. And even if you don't trade, you will be making sure you won't go starving. And your many children will take care of you when you are old.

So basically, what our ancestors had been doing for thousands of years.

david starling

Where is CT going to get the money to raise a passel of kids, then pay for their education (I'd argue that formal education these days is getting more expensive and more worthless by the minute), and then have enough left over to buy land with?

The Illuminati is quite generous to its members. :whistling:

wan

From people's jobs that they currently have (most likely some sort of office jobs). And from their savings.

They can even pool their money with like-minded individuals and buy up land (which can get expensive), and then build a farm and a community together, sharing in all the work and responsibilities. And share the profit (if there is any). They will look out for each other and help each other. Maybe one person can stay home and watch everybody's kids while the latter are at the farm tending to the animals, etc.

Land is very nice to have but not a necessity. As long as people have tons of children, they can keep slaving at the same job for 40 years. Can't get out of the city? No problem. At least you have a lot of kids. I am serious. People should do this.

Last edited: