Random Thoughts, strictly Text

Ukpoohbear

Life is weird because it’s really hard (understatement) but there’s still always help available for you. It’s the equivalent of god/karma beating you up and then putting a plaster on you afterwards. And saying it’s for your own good. No wonder we’re all crazy.

petosiris

Banned
Here are a few passages from chapter 59 of the Brihat Samhita, a work of the famous astrologer Varahamihira.

''1. On an auspicious day selected by the astrologer and suited to the master, when the several indications referred to in my work on Yātrā are all good, the party shall leave for the forest...

5. If the master is a Brāhmaṇa, the trees Devadāru, Sandal, Śamī and Madhūka are fit for the purpose. If the master is a Kṣatriya, the trees Margosa, Aśvattha, Khadira and Bilva are fit for the purpose...

8. The tree to be cut shall first be worshipped with rice cooked in milk, sweet-meat balls rice, curdled milk and sweet-meats made of ground sesamum and sugar and the like, liquor, flowers, scented smoke and sandal paste.

9. Then shall be worshipped at night the Devas, the Pitṛs, the Piśācas, the Rākṣasas, the Nāgas, the Asuras, the Gaṇadevas. Vināyaka and others. The tree shall be touched by the hand and the following mantras shall be pronounced.

10-11. “O tree! You have been selected for the image of such and such a Deva. Salutation to you. I request you to accept the pūjā duly performed by me. The Bhūtas that might dwell in this tree are requested to accept the presents offered and depart and dwell in some other place. Kindly bear the troubles we subject you to. Salutation to you.
'' - https://www.wisdomlib.org/hinduism/book/brihat-samhita/d/doc229304.html

''Shall I fall down before a block of wood?'' - Is. 44:19

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Watch out for the boomerang-effect!

Yeah definitely don’t want my hard work going to waste. I want to lose 2 stone altogether, and once I reach my goal, I’ll still count my calories but up them so it maintains my weight. Maybe that’ll be 1400 calories a day, instead of 1200-300 which I’m doing now.

david starling

Yeah definitely don’t want my hard work going to waste. I want to lose 2 stone altogether, and once I reach my goal, I’ll still count my calories but up them so it maintains my weight. Maybe that’ll be 1400 calories a day, instead of 1200-300 which I’m doing now.

2 stone for us Yanks?

Ukpoohbear

2 stone for us Yanks?

I’m sorry I don’t get the reference lol. Is it a Yankee baseball term? 2 stone anyway, 13lbs in 1 stone. I’ve lost half a stone already!! I’m 5”4 and weighed 13stone3lbs when I started. I couldn’t believe it, I knew I was bigger but I must have been in denial. I’m small boned so I didn’t look fat but I was classed as obese by the BMI scale.

But for anyone needing inspiration, it’s actually very easy to count calories. It’s just about making different choices. Example, 1 calorie spray instead of using lumps of coconut oil in my cooking. No more sugar in my cups of tea with full fat milk, now it’s no sugar and vegan milk etc.

david starling

I’m sorry I don’t get the reference lol. Is it a Yankee baseball term? 2 stone anyway, 13lbs in 1 stone. I’ve lost half a stone already!! I’m 5”4 and weighed 13stone3lbs when I started. I couldn’t believe it, I knew I was bigger but I must have been in denial. I’m small boned so I didn’t look fat but I was classed as obese by the BMI scale.

But for anyone needing inspiration, it’s actually very easy to count calories. It’s just about making different choices. Example, 1 calorie spray instead of using lumps of coconut oil in my cooking. No more sugar in my cups of tea with full fat milk, now it’s no sugar and vegan milk etc.

If you're Brits, what are U.S. Americans called? I thought it was "Yanks".

What's your ideal weight?

Ukpoohbear

If you're Brits, what are U.S. Americans called? I thought it was "Yanks".

What's your ideal weight?

Ohh, I wasn’t sure what the 2 stone for us yanks meant though. But yes, if someone said Yanks I would know they meant American although I don’t use that term myself.

My ideal weight is 11 stone I think, I don’t want to be skinny or really slim. Maybe that’ll will change if I get into fitness because then I go down to 9 1/2 / 10 stone if I was working out a lot.

Did you know, for an active person or to be active enough to lose weight, it is recommended to walk 10,000 steps *every day* ???

That’s about 5 miles. I will do that once or twice a week, if I go out jogging or if I go a walk for an hour that will be 6,000 steps. But 10,000 steps everyday?? I don’t know if I’m just really inactive but I don’t think most people are doing that. Maybe if they walk a lot throughout the day. But it’s a lot to do every single day!!

Ukpoohbear

There has been more footage of the George Floyd incident released. According to the comment section of the newspaper app I saw it from, most people are on the cops’ side...

david starling

Long-time members
greybeard and unique astrology have stopped showing any activity since the ending of last year. Unlike c.t., they're both rather "advanced" in age, which is in itself cause for concern. :sad:

Last edited:

Ukpoohbear

Is this in a British newspaper?

Yes it’s the Daily Mail. I think they’re mostly fed up with the BLM protests and have lost patience. Even the comments with ‘death and force is not necessary’ has 500 approx likes but 1000+ dislikes.

I heard talk that this whole situation was a set-up to obtain more control by using tactics from the ‘hidden hand’ government. Like Hegel said, these tricks have been going on forever. Thesis - antithesis - synthesis. Thesis: coronavirus. Antithesis: lockdown. Synthesis: everyone is demanding a vaccine, just to be able to continue normal life. Thesis: police brutality. Antithesis: riots. Synthesis: stricter control.

I didn’t believe it until I saw the comments in the Daily Mail. The BLM movement is causing enough resentment in people to demand tougher police control.

Oh, Chauvin had his hand in his pocket while his knee was on George’s neck. ‘The hidden hand.’

david starling

Yes it’s the Daily Mail. I think they’re mostly fed up with the BLM protests and have lost patience. Even the comments with ‘death and force is not necessary’ has 500 approx likes but 1000+ dislikes.

I heard talk that this whole situation was a set-up to obtain more control by using tactics from the ‘hidden hand’ government. Like Hegel said, these tricks have been going on forever. Thesis - antithesis - synthesis. Thesis: coronavirus. Antithesis: lockdown. Synthesis: everyone is demanding a vaccine, just to be able to continue normal life. Thesis: police brutality. Antithesis: riots. Synthesis: stricter control.

I didn’t believe it until I saw the comments in the Daily Mail. The BLM movement is causing enough resentment in people to demand tougher police control.

Oh, Chauvin had his hand in his pocket while his knee was on George’s neck. ‘The hidden hand.’

Is there rioting associated with BLM in BRITAIN???

Ukpoohbear

Is there rioting associated with BLM in BRITAIN???

Oh yes, statues of people associated with slavery have been toppled.

“But the one that took place in Brixton over the weekend, to mark the 186th anniversary of the Abolition of Slavery, was different.
It marked the debut appearance of Forever Family, a black rights protest group, on London’s streets.”

And there is a photo of the Forever Family wearing masks and billet proof vests, looking quite militia.

david starling

Oh yes, statues of people associated with slavery have been toppled.

“But the one that took place in Brixton over the weekend, to mark the 186th anniversary of the Abolition of Slavery, was different.
It marked the debut appearance of Forever Family, a black rights protest group, on London’s streets.”

And there is a photo of the Forever Family wearing masks and billet proof vests, looking quite militia.

Are they armed with deadly weapons?

Ukpoohbear

Are they armed with deadly weapons?

No reports of that. They’re probably really nice guys. I visited London in December and me and my friend were lost and looking for directions at like 11PM at night. I decided to go up to the ‘scariest’ looking black dude as an experiment and ask him for directions. He was really surprised, said he didn’t know and quickly walked off. He seemed lovely.

When I say scary I mean he looked gangster and unapproachable.

david starling

No reports of that. They’re probably really nice guys. I visited London in December and me and my friend were lost and looking for directions at like 11PM at night. I decided to go up to the ‘scariest’ looking black dude as an experiment and ask him for directions. He was really surprised, said he didn’t know and quickly walked off. He seemed lovely.

When I say scary I mean he looked gangster and unapproachable.

In Oregon, the protesters are armed with battery powered leaf blowers to fend off tear gas!