Ability to speak several languages

R4VEN

Hi all,

I have just been given the birth details of someone who speaks 5 languages. I have not her permission to post the chart, so I cannot do this. Sorry. :andy:

I have a feeling that this has been discussed previously on AW, so if anyone either knows the thread(s) or can point me to a planet or possible aspects to focus upon, then I would be grateful.
(Personally, I dislike it when others ask such open-ended questions as this, but I am just looking for a starting point.)

I suspect Jupiter has something to do with this; Jupiter and Mercury???
This person has Jupiter square Mercury, with Mercury in Virgo in the 4th. Jupiter, however, trines Uranus.
(Now I'm rambling, so I'll stop.)

I know someone who speaks 5languages and has mercury retro in 12th house square to moon, quintule jupiter and bi quintile saturn. I would have thought mercury/jupiter, plus neptune maybe would associate with languages...

tikana

Hi all,

I have just been given the birth details of someone who speaks 5 languages. I have not her permission to post the chart, so I cannot do this. Sorry. :andy:

I have a feeling that this has been discussed previously on AW, so if anyone either knows the thread(s) or can point me to a planet or possible aspects to focus upon, then I would be grateful.
(Personally, I dislike it when others ask such open-ended questions as this, but I am just looking for a starting point.)

I suspect Jupiter has something to do with this; Jupiter and Mercury???
This person has Jupiter square Mercury, with Mercury in Virgo in the 4th. Jupiter, however, trines Uranus.
(Now I'm rambling, so I'll stop.)

eh.. i am polyglot .. my mercury and jupiter very active and strong ... i think 3rd and 9th house are your power houses also look into if lord of 9th and 3rd should be well placed and well aspected..

Tamara

i speak 5 languages, and understand two more...i`ve got mercury in the 9th, trine saturn, sextile venus and square pluto..also mars in the 3rd..jupiter isn`t involved, it`s in my 5th house squaring uranus...

castelo

i have mercury, jupiter and venus(ruler of my 9th house) all conjunct in my 7th house. My mercury also trines my moon (conjunct uranus and neptune).
I just speak one more language besides my mother language and understand one pretty well. But i have plans to learn at least
5 languages :)

Last edited:

Athene

I have a Mercury/Jupiter natal conjunction in 3d Capricorn, speak five languages and pretty much understand all of those that gravitate around those five falling in the same family group. Right now i'm working on learning two more :smile:

Edit : And my 9th cusp falls in Gemini.

Last edited:

Claire19

eh.. i am polyglot .. my mercury and jupiter very active and strong ... i think 3rd and 9th house are your power houses also look into if lord of 9th and 3rd should be well placed and well aspected..
I agree and bi quintiles for instance I would never use. Mercury retro in the 12th can give writing abilities perhaps but would need strong 3rd house connections and to Jupiter.

Mercury and Jupiter are the planets for languages as is the 3rd house.
Venus may be in the mix for a love of language and the literary arts.
9th house for the higher education if languages learned at college and
for foreign influences.

Claire19

I have a Mercury/Jupiter natal conjunction in 3d Capricorn, speak five languages and pretty much understand all of those that gravitate around those five falling in the same family group. Right now i'm working on learning two more :smile:

Edit : And my 9th cusp falls in Gemini.
Wow!!:smile:

Claire19

i have mercury, jupiter and venus(ruler of my 9th house) all conjunct in my 7th house. My mercury also trines my moon (conjunct uranus and neptune).
I just speak one more language besides my mother language and understand one pretty well. But i have plans to learn at least
5 languages :)
In the 7th house you would benefit from one to one speaking it and
learning it that way......interaction with another......verbal rather than written.

R4VEN

Thanks all for your input.
I had no idea we had so many multi-lingual people on the forum.

Thanks also ,EJ, for the link to the Foreign Languages thread. This post from lillyjgc attracted me to the connection between musical ability and proficiency with learning languages:

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135528&postcount=3

In particular, I like the way she pinned it down to `looking for a relationship between the 9th and 3rd house cusp rulers'. The chart I am about to do has the 3rd & 9th house rulers squared - Moon and Saturn. I'm not sure if this is where the language thing is.

I looked at the birth chart of orchestral conductor Daniel Barenboim, who speaks at least 5 languages, perhaps 7 - all of them like a native.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Barenboim
His natal chart is below.

He has 3rd and 9th house rulers in the 10th - not in a relationship - but 9th house ruler trines Jupiter, and 3rd house ruler squares Pluto. This proficiency in languages is necessary in his career, since he conducts orchestras all over the world, and most of these are made up of people from many different countries.

He is best known in the last decade for creating a youth orchestra from talented young classical musicians from Arab and Israeli countries, the purpose being to create a cultural `bridge' between the two.

Attachments

• astro_w2gw_92_daniel_barenboim_hp.18906.11646.gif
    astro_w2gw_92_daniel_barenboim_hp.18906.11646.gif
    49 KB · Views: 22

Athene

About some speculations listed here, you can find confirmation in the work of Alfred Tomatis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_A._Tomatis I cant explain the concept at work becouse i've read Tomatis materials in italian and the terminology is of high expertise, having to do a double translation here i risk to lose you rather than to cast any light on the mather :lol:

My advice is to go for "The conscious ear", an immensly fascinating material of his :love:

Frisiangal

bi quintiles for instance I would never use.

I would query this because I live with a 9th house Mercury, ruler 1st and 10th houses bi-quintile Neptune, ruler of my 7th house.

I learnt French at school and can still get by 50 years later. When I came to live in Dairyland I had the dearest of mother-in-laws who could talk the hind legs off a Frieisan cow! I worked for an English spealing oriented firm and the rule was made that I would speak only Dutch and my colleagues only English. This way all our languages would improve.:smile:
I have never had lessons, yet 'picked up the language' simply by listening and trying to speak it myself. If I was wrong, no problem. I'd be corrected or everyone would have a laugh.

Dutch and German do have some similarities. I worked for a currency exchange bureau. My colleagues had all learnt German at school. I listened and 'picked up the language'.

I love Italian music. I did take Italian lessons just to understand what the artists were singing about. It helped on a couple of holidays as well.:smile:

My final employment was selling expensive souvenirs in a 5-star Japanese hotel. Many business clients as well as Japanese tourists. In the 7 years I worked there I had picked up words of the daily exchange of chat, could understand numbers (i.e. prices!), although I could not hold any kind of conversation in Japanese.

Every holiday in Europe, from Portugal to the top of Norway, I bought the phrase book to learn a splattering of the local language. I listened to what was said to understand more. It's amazing how people take to you when you try to speak in their tongue. Russian got the better of me.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think it is the bi-quintile with Neptune that helped me in every case where I did not actually take lessons because it enabled me to 'tune into the sound of the language' and get by for the time necessary....and then I forgot it all.

Mercury and Jupiter are the planets for languages as is the 3rd house.

9th house for the higher education if languages learned at college and
for foreign influences

My 9th house Mercury is not aspected to Jupiter, although 9th house Sun is square 12th house Jupiter. I never went on to further education. Life provided that.:wink::smile:

BobZemco

In particular, I like the way she pinned it down to `looking for a relationship between the 9th and 3rd house cusp rulers'. The chart I am about to do has the 3rd & 9th house rulers squared - Moon and Saturn. I'm not sure if this is where the language thing is.

There's no mystery here. Language is Mercury.

All you have to do is assess the intellect of the Native. The Native either has the intellect or he doesn't, and if the Native doesn't have the intellect, he probably can't speak, read or write his language well either. Ascending Degree or Mercury in an Empty Degree is usually a box-of-rocks for brains.

The 3rd and 9th Houses have nothing to do with language. My Capricorn 3rd House is ruled by Saturn Retrograde and Intercepted in Aquarius (and conjunct South Node) in the 3rd House and makes no aspects to 9th House Ruler Moon (who is in the 4th House disposited by Jupiter also in the 4th House). Mercury Stationary in Gemini in the 8th House makes no aspects to either Saturn or Moon.

I read, write and speak German, and read, write and speak Romanian (and on this forum usually write responses to Romanians in Romanian) because I have the intellect. I could talk to Arijana and Goca, but can't write to them (but I can read Serbian signs if they're in Western Alphabet instead of Cyrillic). I go to Nyiregyhaza or Szeged once a month to the markets there (I speak Magyar too) and then go to Backo Gradiste in Serbia if I don't go to the Magyar Republic.

Of the 100s of Dutch I've met (and that would not include the 784-man Dutch field artillery battalion I had to address), only one couldn't speak English (he was a Marechaussee -- but he spoke German and French and I speak German so no problem there).

I think people just have to accept that there are some things a Natal Chart will not tell you, like whether or not someone dyes their hair or has a preference for spinach over Brussel sprouts, or picks their nose with their left hand or right hand.

All you can do is determine if someone has the intellect. Whether or not they act on their intellect to learn a language is something you'll have to ask.

Athene

Hat down for Magyar Bob :wink: That language dosent follow any of the given western syntax logic. I've gone to this country too, and speaking to them is allmost prallel to been exposed to the japanese language, which i'm learning right now btw :lol: Quite a fascinating expirience :smile:

Tamara

All you have to do is assess the intellect of the Native. The Native either has the intellect or he doesn't, and if the Native doesn't have the intellect, he probably can't speak, read or write his language well either.
let me disagree...i`ve studied intellect professionally and there are several types of intellect-linguistic intelligence, logical/mathematical intelligence, musical intelligence, etc..so if person isn`t good at languages that doesn`t mean that he/she hasn`t intellect!!! it`s wrong statement!