Your favourite books?

Drowzy_Shooter

Umm,

The Conquest of Bread by Peter Kropotkin

The Rangers Apprentice series by John Flanagan (reading his new series as well, finished his first book. I loved the books so much that I custom ordered them from Australia whenever a new one was released there before here).

The Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series by Rick Riordan

And in their own funny way, I love my algebra textbooks :pinched: (yes yes I know, nerdy scorpio).

axxelyon

I really like to reading difference types of books and novels like The Red Pyramid, The Hunger Games, The Help and Heaven Is For Real.

SniperBomber328

Glad a thread like this was revived. Such a shame it died in the first place. Anyways:

In a way I feel embarassed since this is a little kid book, but my favorite book of all time was (and still somewhat is) C.S. Lewis's "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe". Until the movie killed it for me, which In a way it didn't at the same time. Although I did like imagining the scenes and character visuals.
Another would be "Grimm's Fairytales", or classic fables in general.

Although I like many mystery, fantasy or other wise, medical fiction books. Nothing too Sci-Fi or Western. And NOTHING from James Patterson (OH NO).

Last edited:

Nexus7

I like good SF. For example one of my favourite stories of all times was The Chrysalids by John Wyndham. More recently, I devoured Let Let you Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, where what seems to be a school story on first reading turns out to be a tale about the horriffic fate of human clones whose sole and unchallenged purpose in life is to donate all their vital organs to sick people until they die.

Robert Silverberg's Dying inside, Tower of Glass, they are cool, but SF is not SF without an input of genius from Philip K Dick. Androids can but dream that one day maybe there will be more of that kind.

SF is coming back in fashion, good to see. The Cityand the City by China Miéville for example. That wasn't bad.

I used to enjoy a good vampire yarn, but those where the vampire have, let's say, more of a bite. Anne Rice ultimately got tedious though her first ones were great, and Barbara Hambley and the original Dracula were good to glut on too.

More sophisticated gothics such as Patrick Mc Graph's Asylum was a treat to read.

I like medical stories too - Bodies by Jed Mercurio was a superb recent find.

I also enjoyed Antonia Whire's Frost in May quartet and during various mispent misfit times, really got inrto Zen andthe Aret of Motorsycle Maintenance.

keanurives

Books are best friends in my life and I like to read books very much. These are all my favourite Books like :
- Middlemarch by George Eliot
- In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust
- The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
- War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy

abigail

L

varies, you still here? I've been searching for a true crime took place in the 70ies or 80ies in ny state, weschester or long island probably, 2 men, an art dealer named christie or something like that, & a heir with a large estate picked up a norwegian sailor, the art dealer tortured him, concentually at least at first, & the heir who wasn't present during that shot him to death. they tried to burn the body. the dealer got off the heir pled out, & I can now find nothing about this crime

Kuntuzangmo

Yes, there are way too many.

Some recent reading:
(for you Agatha fans, did you read her autobiography?)

I started reading the Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. Amazingly written by a journalist who was there at the time. Bit of a slog for me now since I lost momentum.

Just reading a book about Siva. Can't recall the author.

Always reading Longchenpa, cannot be beaten.

Also reading Mipham Rinpoche....amazing.

Books are friends of human and increase our knowledge. My favourite books are The Secret, Three Mistake of My Life, Two Stage of Marriage Life, Five Point Someone and vision 2020.

ReincarnatedRainbow

Oh, I'd hate to post my favorite books when I'm *hopefully* going to get some new books soon that *might* be really good. But ah..I take great pride in the books that I read, because I find books that I like so rarely, so when I find something I truly like, I want to shout it from the roof tops.
I like anything from Libba Bray. Book after book she amazes me. Her books really challenge the status quote and for some, (not me, though, because I was already ahead of her when I was reading her stuff) she proposes new ways of thinking. She's also hilarious. I love all her books: Going Bovine, Gemma Doyle trilogy, and Beauty Queens.

I also liked Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, against all odds. I really set out to hate these books, but Rose and Adrian are just too funny and unique to remain cold against. And the author's action scenes are pretty well written.

This Lullaby is the only book by Sarah Dessen that really impressed me much. I find Sarah's work a little dull, but her books are still nice to read when you're bored.

The Neverending Story is not really my thing, but I have to give credit where credit is due. It's a good read.

I like Love Signs by Linda Goodman. I would never read it in public, but it's a guilty pleasure to read it at night; a fun alternative to falling asleep.
Anne Rice is an okay writer. She has many flaws in her writings, but she's still talented.

For whoever said they liked The Sisterhood of The Traveling pants:
Oh my gosh, I remember reading those books with my best friend is the fifth grade! We always would read the same books and consult each other on what we read, like a miniature book club! Our favorites had been Shiloh, The Sisterhood, and Diary of A Wimpy Kid. Oh, memories! Bailey’s death hit me so hard in the first book, and the story about that girl whose dad was getting remarried kind of spoke to me. I found her the most relatable.

serafin5

Ooh, this is a bit like asking what my favourite breath was.

This is soooo true my gawd.

#1 Aztec by Gary Jennings - So beautiful, so awesome.............hands down of all time.

(the rest are in no particular order)

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb
The Shack by William P. Young (so awesome; cant say enough about this book!)
The Song of Solomn by Toni Morrison (sp?) (Toni Morrison is a very special writer!)
Love Signs by Linda Goodman (an old favorite; I fell in love with this when I was 16
years old when I was learning how to cast a chart)
Cry to Heaven by Anne Rice - A love story about the Italian Castrati in the 16th century.
So beautiful. Loved it.
The Stand by Steven King - His best and most inspired by far. A rollercoaster ride.

The series of Jean M. Auel, author of "The Clan of the Cave Bear" called the "Earth's Children Series" and they just released the last book in the series which I am waiting to go to paperback.

The "Kay Scarpetta" series by Patricia Cornwell - She is such an awesome writer; Patricia has done A LOT of work for her novels, and it has been gruesome and frightening for her for sure as the Scarpetta series is about a Medical Examiner who not only is an MD but an attorney as well and she solves crimes with forensics and they're bomb!

The "Vampire Chronicles" by Anne Rice - I adore Anne Rice I fell in love with her mind, she can be a very sensuous writer while I know how much research and detail she pours into every book.

The new "Christ the Lord" series by Anne Rice - Written beautifully; researched intensely about Christ's childhood. So far I've only read the first book but I loved it and cant wait to get the second one.

The Twilight Series by Stephanie Meyer - I got so hooked, like everyone else, and in this case the cliche is especially true: The movies dont even touch the books. Sorry.

Thats my list and I am so proud to say I read these books, I got to experience these stories and I got to live in someone else's head for awhile. I am ashamed to say, however, that I have not read any of the classics yet but I do plan to.

Happy Reading!:happy:
Serafin5