If you are an astrologer, do you believe in Free Will

How many of you believe that Humans have FreeWill?

• Yes Humans have total FREE WILL

Votes: 13 36.1%
  • Probably...Humans have FREE WILL more than 50% of the time

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Maybe...Humans have Free Will less than 50% of the time

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • NO... Humans have no FREE WILL at all

Votes: 12 33.3%

• Total voters

wilsontc

Staff member
Deleted the attacks, to All

All,

I deleted several trolling posts that were designed to attack and humiliate since these postings were clearly against forum rules. Per usual, there was a lot of astrology, but since the posts violated Forum rules I deleted them in their entirety.

Following up,

Tim

waybread

(continued)

You cannot have Free Will and simultaneously be dependent, interdependent or co-dependent on the actions of others, whether "others" are individuals or collective groups of individuals.

How so? We have already demonstrated that "free will" is a flawed concept but if we are stuck with it for purposes of this thread, then it is a work-around. How do you have dependents and co-dependents without someone being the mover or independent variable? Moreover, social science is full of examples and theory about inter-dependent human societies and feedback loops. Maybe everyone in the system is simply a pre-programmed machine, as you imply; but then again, to what level of minutia do you want to take this? Like how many pencils do you have in your desk and what colour are they? And what do you ascribe to a planetary causality theory, to genetics, to environmental factors, and so on?

At the Macro-level, things may appear to the casual (or ignorant) observer that things are chaotic. However, at the Micro-level, it is crystal [no pun intended] clear that things are very hierarchical, organized, measured and balanced, to the point of predictable.

Where is your evidence for this assertion? See: http://fractalfoundation.org/resources/what-is-chaos-theory/ . A tenet of chaos theory is unpredictability. We might assume as a matter of faith that the universe is ultimately predictable, but that's all it is, a matter of faith.

Nothing unreal exists, and anything that exists occupies space and has mass.

Oh, fer sure. Like house cusps and Arabic parts. Of course, phenomena may fictitiously or by cultural convention occupy space and have mass.

I am not a product of Stars, but I am a product of genetics, environment, of times, the way I was raised by my parents, and the interactions I had as a child, as a teenager and as a young adult, whether such interactions were as the 1st or 2nd Party directly involved, or as a 3rd Party Observer not directly involved.

The Stars merely told the story, but they did not cause any of the events.

I actually agree with this, but then it limits the applicability of some statements that you make later on.

People always had high expectations of me, and when you fail, they give you "that look", and I can't stand "that look"...I learned/was programmed not to disappoint people. Additionally, I learned/was programmed that incompetence is neither acceptable nor tolerated; that there is no shame or embarrassment for being ignorant --- but there is when people willfully remain ignorant; there is shame and embarrassment for being incompetent; that incompetents should either voluntarily step-aside, or at least acknowledge a lack of competence and seek someone who is competent to perform a task; and I was also brain-washed in school from the late 1960s to early 1980s....serve your Country.....Red Menace....serve your country....Red Menace...serve your Country...Red Menace...

Bob thank you for serving your country. Vietnam? It hurt a lot of people of my generation. But what your poignant vignette illustrates is what an emotional relief it must be for you to believe in fatalism. I've seen this with some other people-- myself included, truth be told-- where we were expected to be high-achievers, and when we couldn't pass muster, it felt like failure. Consequently finding an astrological explanation, coupled with a deterministic view, is a big relief.

But the truth doesn't lie in either determinism or in some type of untenable "free will."
The "free will" argument is especially troublesome in a combat situation, where soldiers are expected to execute orders-- or else-- in addition to exercising judgment calls and some sense of morality in the midst of chaos. I can't predict what I would have done in your shoes at the moment. It looks like you did the right thing, and under duress.

No, Free Will is a concept introduced by the Imperial Roman Catholic Church...

Actually it shows up long before, in Genesis and in the moral codes of several Near Eastern religions. Retribution justice makes no sense in a highly fatalistic world: where people cannot help what they do. No doubt the RC church refined the concept.

The burden of proof is on you to show a chart that defies Fate.

This would be easy to do, because you can interpret a chart to say anything you want.

(to be continued)

waybread

(continued)

You might wish to be wary of those who make false claims, such as people believing the stars were literally gods and praying to the planets as gods.

That is very bad anthropology with a decidedly differently twisted Christian-centric historical and anthropological view.

I am not sure how you mean this, Bob. Scholarship on the Sumerians shows that they did literally worship planets as gods, and you will find in some of the prophets (chapter and verse available on request) warning the Jews against star-worship. See, for example: Francesca Rochberg, 2004, The Heavenly Writing, Cambridge University Press.)

If people ask you for explanations, simply say that Electromagnetism and Electromagnetic radiation are the best scientific explanations, and that, yes, it does explain Horary Astrology

Yep-- sounds like traditional astrology to me. Last I heard, neoplatonism, stoicism, and Aristotelian science motivated the founders of western astrology.

People not experienced with Astrology do not understand that Horary is not separate and apart from the Natal Chart, rather it is simply one of many charts in the Hierarchy of Charts.

Horary and Electional Charts are subordinate to Natal Charts and will never give an outcome that contradicts a Natal Chart.

Likewise, Natal Charts are subordinate to Lunations, which are subordinate to [Cardinal] Ingress Charts, which are subordinate to both Great Conjunction Charts (Jupiter/Saturn and Saturn/Mars in Cancer), and those are subordinate to Grand Mutation Charts, and those are subordinate to the Grand Conjunction Chart.

Barclay and Hamaker-Zondag, in their primers on horary astrology, discuss the advisability of consulting a client's natal chart when given a horary question. I don't know how many astrologers, however, actually go through the cascading squence of charts you've listed to show how they all correlated when being asked to locate the missing car keys. Again, a given natal chart placement can say more than one thing, so correlations can be construed, if not objectively discovered.

The Hiroshima example begs the question, since few of the victims' charts can be reconstructed.

It is most unfortunate, but you will find on this forum people having no understanding of the most basic astrological principles, and introducing Red Herrings like “why Venus in Scorpio women are noted for jealousy.”

Bob, I assume you mean me here, as I have used this example several times. Are you saying that I have no understanding of basic astrological principles? Out with it!!

First, it is wrong to associate women with Scorpio Venus as being jealous, since it applies equally to men, and the Ancient Texts so state.

Second, jealousy -- which is not gender exclusive -- is a function of Venus in any Domicile of Mars, and that includes Aries Venus, Scorpio Venus and Capricorn Venus.

Bob, nobody (least of all me) suggested that men somehow wouldn't have Venus in Scorpio and be similarly affected. Nor did I get around to other possible indicators of jealousy. I used the female/Venus/Scorpio example, but it wasn't intended to exclude anyone or the possibility of additional examples.

More to the point, Bob, where I have used the "jealous woman" example, it is precisely to address your theory that electro-magnetism somehow explains astrology on the level at which we interpret it in horoscopes. You wouldn't have liked it, either, if I had included men, Aries, Scorpio, Capricorn, or Daffy Duck. Because the real issue is how electro-magnetism explains any of the cookbook delineations of which astrologers are so fond.

But hey, thanks for the primer on Venus in traditional astrology. I do modern western astrology, which is somewhat different.

For those who speak English as a Second Language…

destined
predestined
preordained
intended
inevitable
inescapable
doomed

…those are synonyms of "meant."

Actually, my English is pretty good, and you have not given the standard usage of "to mean" (with "meant" as past tense/pas participle) See, for example:
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mean or http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/mean . These definitions generally imply an actor, or subject. Which gets us into some metaphysical questions so far as astrology is concerned.

(to be continued)

waybread

(continued)

Every Life Form – species -- that has ever existed on this Earth has one and only one function: Reproduce to ensure the survival of the species.

I am so glad you didn't say "purpose". Because biota clearly have multiple "functions" beyond reproduction, ranging from photosynthesis to web-spinning. And survival through reproduction is not ensured, as extinctions indicate.

On a humanities level, however, this is a slap at childless people. But it is interesting to contemplate human bodies as merely hosts for our DNA. But then one wonders how astrology gets involved with it. The problem of the jealous woman (or man) and all that.

However, as Plants and Animals go, Humans are the most adaptable and most capable of ensuring the survival of their species, if for no other reason than Humans can foresee impending doom and take action to prevent or mitigate….to a point.

Outside of that, your life is objectively meaningless. Your life has meaning only when you attach something subjective to it, like dreams and goals. Why do you think people commit suicide? Because they believe that they will never be able to achieve any of their dreams or goals, and so there is no longer any point in just going through the motions.

I agree with a lot of this, but it contradicts some of your earlier material. If humans can take steps to mitigate impending disaster, then fatalism goes out the window. Unless of course, they were fated to take mitigating steps, in which case the disaster was only illusory. If you are a true fatalist, you do not believe that people commit suicide because of their shattered dreams: they commit suicide because they are fated to do so.

Determinism does not render astrology becomes totally pointless. Quite the contrary, as it makes Astrology becomes more important and relevant than ever.

As an astrologer, your raison d' etre is to inform people what will happen in their lives and when it will happen.

But if you are a true determinist, there is no point to learning astrology. The client was fated to ask for a reading, of course, whose outcome was determined long before either of you were born. Whether you knew astrology or were totally ignorant of it would not make a particle of difference, because "what will be, will be."

The history of astrology has some startling predictive successes, but also some unholy, highly publicized bloopers that did much to contribute to astrology's demise in the 17th century. Again, Bob, do you bat 1000? How many good traditional astrologers do? And how could you possibly weed out the bad ones?

Moreover, some of us focus on natal chart interpretation, not on predictive work. To each her own.

21. Your whole mitigation example (client losing home) is not an argument in favour of determinism, unless you are making a more circular argument than I think you are making. You are stating some "facts" or a hypothetical case based upon some suppositions that operate like facts. These facts are not the same as any causality or any meta-explanation of why events unfolded as they did. To do this, you would need to invoke some other form of explanation, be it electro-magnetism, the planets, genetics, environmental factors, or Donald Duck.

Again the very possibility of mitigation of a predicted outcome argues against determinism in any purist form. Previously you argued that one can believe in either fatalism or free will but not both. Although I disagreed, it would seem that you actually agree with the possibility of clients as decision-making actors-- who thereby create some modicum of outcomes for themselves.

Some people might have the gall to say that the Client had Free Will to seek out an astrologer....no....the Client was programmed from birth by genetics, environment, upbringing and interactions to place credibility in Astrology…and thus seek one out.

I wouldn't put it this way, but I would say you have not demonstrated your point. You've repeated it several times, yes. Yet again: if the client were "programmed" to seek an astrologer, probably many astrologers would be equally "programmed" to give incorrect information, and be "programmed" to make matters worse. The mortgage officer might be "programmed" to make trouble. The client wouldn't have a choice of picking a competent astrologer over a crummy one, because he would be programmed to choose the one he did.

Modern Astrology ignores critical concepts and shuns proven rules, allowing people to interpret charts anyway they see fit to interpret them, leading to an extremely high degree of subjectivity, and prone to errors in interpretation.

Traditional Astrology is based entirely on conceptual doctrines and rules, consistently leading to accurate objective delineations.

Bob, it is OK for you to dislike modern astrology, but please don't make a straw man out of it. Are you familiar with Avelar and Rebeiro's recent textbook on traditional astrology? (On the Heavenly Spheres.) I was pleasantly surprised to learn when I read it, that easily a third of the material was Old Hat to me, because it shows up so frequently in modern astrology, as well.

Moreover, there is bad and good modern astrology, just as there is bad and good traditional astrology or bad and good cooking. Good modern astrology has all sorts of principles ("rules") but some of them are different. Speaking of which, there is a huge and well-documented history of bad traditional astrology; which was a large part of the reason for its near demise by 1700. Isaac Bickerstaff, anyone? This whole Jonathan Swift caper-- highly publicized-- was based on erroneous predictions by a traditional astrologer.

I am not dissing traditional astrologers here, incidently-- merely leveling the score.

As a result, Modern Astrologers waste a lot of time attempting to convince the Native that they can “use the energy of a square aspect” to his/her advantage, when in fact the Native is powerless to do anything about it.

Oops-- there went mitigation out the window!

We really need to decouple fatalism vs. "free will" from traditional vs. modern astrology. Some modern astrologers are highly fatalistic (past-lives karma, anyone?) and some traditional astrologers did (and do) admit of mitigation as well as personal choice. If you read the rationales (apologia) of Hellenistic astrologers for astrology, for example, many of them argue on behalf of moral choice. Astrology is a means whereby the pious man can become more virtuous, runs one argument.

Ethnicity is a Red Herring that has no bearing on anything.

Nationality is another Red Herring that is of no value.

Oops-- there went genetics and environmental factors out the window, as well. Of course these factors are hugely important in people's lives. Ask any undocumented Mexican immigrant in the southwestern United States. Ask any member of the Roma (Gypsies.) The type of government is equally hugely important: ask any political refugee or participants in the Arab Spring. Societal values are not a red herring: ask any of the older feminists. Ask any African American who remembers the shift from Jim Crow. And so on.

I haven't worked with conception charts or heirarchichal charts, so I won't comment on their accuracy, except to say that I remain sceptical. Bob, perhaps on another thread you could put up some examples.

RED HERRING: attempting to hide a weakness in an argument by drawing attention away from the real issue. A red herring fallacy is thus a diversionary tactic or an attempt to confuse or fog the issue being debated.

I support this definition, and I am quick to point out examples-- including in your posts, Bob! While someone can set up a red herring (aka smoke-screen) when he feels he is losing an argument, I have tried to avoid this fallacy here.

But another fallacy is the ad hominem or personalized attack. I truly feel that someone is losing an argument when he resorts to personal insults. Wouldn't you agree, Bob?

25. Thanks for the lesson on wealth prediction in traditional astrology! I see some logistical problems with it in application, but no matter.

seriously, the type of government?….if the Native doesn’t know what kind of government they’ve got or whether they’re part of the Minority or Majority, then you probably ought not be reading a chart for them, since they’d be too stupid to understand what you’re saying.

Bob, if you read a lot of natal charts for people on Internet forums such as this one, you realize that they come in from all over the world. Naturally, the native knows what sort of government she has, but this information could benefit the astrologer in targeting her chart-reading, depending upon what is asked. People's lives do not occur in social or political vacuums. Advice can be given in a form that is blinkered by the astrologer's own cultural background. As I stated in that post, there are many things that profoundly affect people's lives (such as whether they live in North or South Korea) that simply do not appear in a horoscope. So a "red herring" for what "truth"?

So, having informed the Native when it will be the best of times….and the worst of times…your job is done, unless the Native asks you for guidance on available options,

Unfortunately, in a fatalistic universe, the concept of available options is meaningless. There is only one option, as fated.

Remember first and foremost, Astrology is a consulting profession. Just as no doctor would ever render a diagnoses without either speaking or physically examining the patient, and just as no lawyer would ever prepare a pleading for a plaintiff in a civil matter, or defend someone in a criminal or civil matter without first interviewing the person, Astrologers do not blindly read charts….they interview the Native first, or at least review biographical data on the Native.

In which case, this forum and other Internet astrology forums should simply close up, because oftentimes we do not have this opportunity. Moreover, if so many info-bytes can clearly be read off a horoscope by a knowledgeable traditional astrologer, why should she need the supplementary information?

Wouldn't it introduce a huge measure of confirmation bias into the chart reading?

Also, what would you do for the client who simply wanted a natal chart reading by way of a character analysis?

Cheers, Bob-- It's been a good evening chatting with you.

waybread

Just two more points to emphasize, now that I've "slept on" this this exchange.

A lot of the fatalist/free will argument hinges on the concept of mitigation, which Bob illustrated in his job/house loss example, above. But if you really are a fatalist, then mitigation would be impossible. There would be only one outcome that you could "choose" and any idea of options would only be illusory-- which you would also be fated to consider and discard. So a true fatalist couldn't believe in mitigation.

I haven't had much time this morning, but I did look up the concept of fate in the Oxford Classical Dictionary. Fate as an idea has a long history, and different societies and philosophers have construed it different ways. Some religious Greeks, for example, believed in the Three Fates and their decrees, yet still believed that one could behave in opposite ways-- to their downfall. So people had a choice to buck fate-- and pay the price. The ancient Egyptians believed in a fate handed out at birth which was intimately bound up in their concept of order and disorder. Order was good. Disorder was bad. So adopting one's "fate", however defined, contributed to an essentially moral order of a rigidly heirarchical society and the gods. But there seems to have been some choice in whether to confirm this order or not.

The other thing that seems clear to me is that "fate" and "free will" arguments are awfully short on actual evidence and any type of robust theory. Anecdotes are interesting and illustrative, but not conclusive. For example, if we do or don't believe in fate today, it has nothing to do with its rationales in the past history of the idea, from what I can determine. Nobody today, for example, believes in the predestination theology of the Puritans.

Neuroscience has something to offer here, but it isn't going to support astrology!

kimbermoon

A very in-depth discussion about the matter of free will/destiny. Speaking of the gray area, is it not possible to consider that both are an active part of our life in the physical? Can only one of these factors be true? Since the outer planets represent generational influences, I suggest they do hint at the involvement of destiny that affects generations; the Nodes provide more detail about the terms of destiny. Then, the personal planets are merely the pawns of personal free will. The Sun is the director of our own free will, while the Moon is the past that we have been conditioned by, according to the will of our parents in the early years; in turn, it holds the emotional reactor triggers that cause us to act in response to our Mercury, Venus and Mars, which then cause reactions by others; this then causes us to respond further and the cycle of testing our free will continues over and again. We are then exposed to the consequences of our personal actions over the long term. I would say then that Jupiter and Saturn are the mediators between our own free will and destiny, by polarity. Jupiter inspires us to grow and expand while the testing of Saturn demands restriction and consolidation, often the biggest challenge to our free will. To me, Jupiter is also associated with providence, while Saturn brings us to bear the consequences of our own free will. For me, the Nodes fall in the axis of polarity between Cancer and Capricorn; this then represents the overall theme of my destiny, that which is meant to be developed in life, and that which must be released from my karma. The overall theme is the balancing between my personal needs and desires and extension into the outer world, and my responsibilities to family. My Sun in Cancer is also accompanied by the South Node, while the North in Capricorn is with Mars. This ongoing theme represents a significant challenge to my expression of free will. I also believe in destiny, because I have often found myself being directed back to that certain path, by experiences of what can only be called divine interventions; such interventions have always changed the path of my free will and direction in life; as such destiny wants us to follow a certain theme of development in life. When we stray from our given path, or role in life, through the expression of free will, we can trust that we will be guided along the way, as necessary, by destiny. Believers in free will can of course choose to ignore or deny any such continuity in life. When one believes entirely in destiny, we deny personal responsibility by having an easy target to blame. Both can be rather fatalistic in their own ways; thus after experiencing two cycles of Saturn around my chart, I allow for the fact that both are in operation in our lives. Just my thoughts on the matter.

poyi

Premium Member
I said I hope I made some sense to people as not everyone would get me if they don't do any knitting. I was sharing my thoughts in the way I understood the complexity of multi dimensions nature of our universe and to me that applies well to the free will and no free question. I was not joking to anyone. I was rather concern if people will find my explanation sensible.

Last edited:

kimbermoon

Indeed can't we just be nice to each other...the forum represents a learning curve for the many and I think that unwarranted attacks against a person's opinion is not helpful...Personally, I think the connection with knitting makes for a good analogy, since we all need to be able to knit our way through life, don't we... So sorry for your pain poyi.

JUPITERASC

I said I hope I made some sense to people as not everyone would get me if they don't do any knitting. I was sharing my thoughts in the way I understood the complexity of multi dimensions nature of our universe and to me that applies well to the free will and no free question. I was not joking to anyone. I was rather concern if people will find my explanation sensible.
I definitely found your explanation sensible because it reminded me of Robert Schmidt -as I have said - and the Greek Fates - there is a similarity there of knitting with the spinning of the thread of life. These are very similar ideas :smile:
Edited: JupiterAsc you do know that we receive email massages. you removed or edit your post that doesn't mean that there is no record of you repeating negative comments. I am in the emergency department waiting to be seen using knitting and forum to kill time and redirect my mind from my pain. This is the most inappropriate time for you to be some inconsiderable to people and treat then with respect and as a person. You need to be aware you might be talking to people with various disability all over the world.

Moderator can remove my post after you review the posts. Thanks!
poyi if you had told me that you are in the emergency department killing time while experiencing severe pain then I would not have posted such a comment obviously you initially seemed to be making a joke of it - at least you seemed to be joking and obviously I misunderstood, perhaps due to cultural differences.

poyi if anyone made that comment to me I would have laughed because it would have been amusing if you had compared me to a multi-armed being. I have read articles stating that some believe such beings existed in reality many hundreds of thousands of years ago but no longer exist. That interests me. However I accept that not everyone shares the same sense of humor or interests

In particular, I sympathize with you for being in pain and if I could ease it I would - I thought you said you are a nurse working in a hospital - I had no idea you are a patient and I wish you a speedy recovery. In future if you would prefer I shall no longer respond to your posts - however, we have had up until now some great discussion. Take care and all the best to be well soon and free from pain

Indeed can't we just be nice to each other...the forum represents a learning curve for the many and I think that unwarranted attacks against a person's opinion is not helpful...Personally, I think the connection with knitting makes for a good analogy, since we all need to be able to knit our way through life, don't we... So sorry for your pain poyi.
I agree

JUPITERASC

Obviously, it's all very well for those who are not in pain to offer advice, however poyi, it is my wish that you find some comfort and use from this video I found online just now by the Buddhist monk Venerable Ajahn Brahm :smile:

Ajahn Brahm says that pain in the body leads to pain in the mind and then offers various strategies for dealing with pain entitled HOW TO DEAL WITH PAIN
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOWeuyDg1J0

poyi

Premium Member
I definitely found your explanation sensible because it reminded me of Robert Schmidt -as I have said - and the Greek Fates - there is a similarity there of knitting with the spinning of the thread of life. These are very similar ideas :smile:

poyi if you had told me that you are in the emergency department killing time while experiencing severe pain then I would not have posted such a comment obviously you initially seemed to be making a joke of it - at least you seemed to be joking and obviously I misunderstood, perhaps due to cultural differences.

poyi if anyone made that comment to me I would have laughed because it would have been amusing if you had compared me to a multi-armed being. I have read articles stating that some believe such beings existed in reality many hundreds of thousands of years ago but no longer exist. That interests me. However I accept that not everyone shares the same sense of humor or interests

In particular, I sympathize with you for being in pain and if I could ease it I would - I thought you said you are a nurse working in a hospital - I had no idea you are a patient and I wish you a speedy recovery. In future if you would prefer I shall no longer respond to your posts - however, we have had up until now some great discussion. Take care and all the best to be well soon and free from pain

I am glad my knitting explanation help.

The left needle is the fixed part of the destiny, the numbers of stitches will restrict the size of the knitting garment and it will also restrict the pattern you could knit as per the frequency of the numbers that had been cast on. The right needle is where the active knitting taken place, based on the desire of the knitter how she/he wanted to knit but the design and pattern would be restricted from the original number.

As a whole, we are restricted by the planets above us, we can only alternate based on that given resources. However, we are allowed to create whatever we are pleased to from our side. So if you got the knitting right, is still partly your fault!!! And in real life you are not allowed to take it all off and start again!!

Then again multiple needles representing multiple factors like genetic, environment, parental teaching, other external factors. But what I really want to raise your imagination which is the Circular Needle and 3-6 needles connections, later on when you gained better understanding with knitting you will realized that everything is interconnection and inseparable. Then you can build multiple dimensions.

Small prints for personal matter:
I am working in hospital as a registered nurse. I was hit by scooter last year had surgery done, and had been unwell since so also a patient plus my heart condition. Due to heavy physical work, I often have back pain and now with sciatica pain from lower back to my leg and had been stuck at home for 9th days today. I already seen a few doctors, I went to ED again as my GP was not very helpful he didn't do full assessment and didn't explain well to me (he was on the phone when I was seeing him:pouty:). So I am back home now. The ED doctor said people could experience sciatica pain without nerve or spinal damage which is luckily my case. She is happy for me to see NeuroSpine specialist on 17th September with MRI done.

You just happened to catch me in my very grumpy mood. But it also demonstrated that members in the forum can have various issues in their life and sometime, just need to be more sensible. I accepted your apology. I also made mistake about joke due to different cultural background with my African colleagues so that's ok. I do understand you humor but I wasn't in a good mood to begin with.

I had edited and removed my angry responses.

Last edited:

wilsontc

Staff member
deleted possibly trolling comments

All,

By request, I have looked into this thread and deleted comments that could be regarded as "trolling". Be careful about responding to trolling comments and contact the Moderator Team if you have any such concerns.

Anti-troll,

Tim

Well let's look at the horoscope of Anton LaVey, the Satanist Leader of San Francisco, Ca.

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=497158#post497158

Anton LaVey had :mars::square::jupiter:, with Jupiter's depositer :mercury:combust. As an Aries he was born to lead, but his life ruler Mars squ Jupiter shows plainly his problems with traditional religion or the dogma of Christian, Islam, or Jewish orthodoxy.

But in the youtube it shows he wanted a change, a repentence if it is Not a hoax of his past, and the 4th house shows the end of his life with Jupiter there.

With Venus as the lord of his death in Taurus was it close enough to the North Node that he made a change as is written in his stellar script.

William F. Lilly allowed 5 degrees for a cjt to the N. Node, that applies in Horary and Lilly's natal work.

LaVey's North Node is around 4 degrees from Venus, lord of his 8th(house of death), very blessed!

Did he recant?

It seems like it was his destiny and to make a profession of faith at the closing hour!

Last edited:

waybread

Gosh, Clinton. Can you think of any Aries who were not "born to lead"? Like most of the 1/12 of the human population? Can you think of meanings of Jupiter besides traditional religion?

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

Waybread, look at the Lord and Co-lord of Anton's 9th....you can't see it?:devil::devil::devil:

And yes Waybread I know a few Arians who lead no one, and lead a pitiful life so their ex-friends state.:sad:

Note the Thread, he had choices but how much free-will did he or could he practice with that map?

waybread

Hey, Clinton-- if you read my previous posts on my thread, you will see that I don't much care for the term "free will" because it is so open to misinterpretation, and makes no sense in any kind of pure form. "Free will" is always modified by factors ranging from the laws of physics to bounded rationality. http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/bounded-rationality.html

Personally, I believe that the chart will express itself, but that people have choices to make within it. They can adopt empowering or disempowering interpretations. Jupiter might be a personal philosophy or an established religion. They can suppress elements of their horoscope, but then these generally appear in their lives as involvements with other people who represent the seemingly negative qualities of that unwanted chart factor. These are modified by non-horoscope factors such as gender and ethnicity.

See some of Bill Sheeran's work on the problem of literal interpretations of the horoscope:

http://www.radical-astrology.com/ideas/proposal2.html

And what do we do with Vedic astrology, the sleeping elephant in this room? Tropically my chart is mostly air and fire. Sidereally it is mostly water and earth. So which one am I? Yet both types of astrologers come up with good-- and bad-- interpretations. So a deterministic view of astrology based on the zodiac makes no sense to me. From a fate point of view, presumably I get one fate in zodiac A, and another fate in zodiac B.

Personally I think it's time to get off the stultifying determism vs. free will binary, to consider more deeply how astrological humans and the humanized cosmos actually interact.

Please read my comments on determinism, above, in response to Bob Zemco.

Last edited:
Waybread:

Hey, Clinton-- if you read my previous posts on my thread, you will see that I don't much care for the term "free will" because it is so open to misinterpretation, and makes no sense in any kind of pure form. "Free will" is always modified by factors ranging from the laws of physics to bounded rationality. http://www.businessdictionary.com/de...tionality.html

Personally, I believe that the chart will express itself, but that people have choices to make within it. They can adopt empowering or disempowering interpretations. Jupiter might be a personal philosophy or an established religion. They can suppress elements of their horoscope, but then these generally appear in their lives as involvements with other people who represent the seemingly negative qualities of that unwanted chart factor. These are modified by non-horoscope factors such as gender and ethnicity.

A certain school of astrology disagrees and teaches contrary to fatalism:

http://www.rosicrucian.com/mos/moseng08.htm

CHAPTER XXII

PROGRESSION OF THE HOROSCOPE

FATE OR FREE WILL

[QUOTE]But, some may say, if all is thus foreshown, it argues an inexorable destiny decreed by divine caprice; what use is there then of striving, or knowing; let us eat, drink and be merry, for tomorrow we die. If we were born into this life on earth for the first and only time, to live here for a while and then pass away from this sphere never to return, fate and favoritism independent of justice would seem to rule. Such cannot be the case; in a world where everything else is governed by law, human existence must also be reducible to a system, and we hold that a reasonable solution of the mystery of life is given by the Twin Laws of Being, the Law of Rebirth and the Law of Causation. That which has a beginning must have an end, and conversely, that which is without ending can never have had a beginning. If the human spirit is immortal and cannot die, neither can it be born; if it will live to all eternity, it must have lived from eternity, there is no escape from this truth; pre-existence must be accepted if immortality is a fact in nature. [/QUOTE]​

Blue added by yours trully!​

I trully Can Not comprehend how anyone can thoroughly study astrology and Not eventually understand the Creator connection and the fallacy of us being given horoscopes that were created randomly or like God was casting the dice:

In this world there is no law more plainly observable than the law of alternating cycles, which decrees succession of ebb and flow, day and night, summer and winter, waking and sleeping. Under the same law man's life is lived alternatively in the physical world where he sows seeds of action and gains experiences according to his horoscope. These, the fruits of existence here, are later assimilated as soul powers in the spiritual world,; birth and death are thus nothing more than gateways from one phase of man's life to another, and the life we now live is but one of a series. {Deleted text by Moderator}

I mean I totally understand many studying astrology have very sour 9th houses and the lord of their 9th house can be afflicted but what happened to karmic beleifs by some astrologers?:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::surprised:

{Deleted text by Moderator} See Forum FAQs for copyright rules.

I mean Anton Lavey did he help astrologers or give us a bad name and will he be imprisoned in a very hard horoscope upon his next incarnation both fated and with some free will to change?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the 100 word rule, yet not the Why of it!

{Deleted text by Moderator}This is continued due to the 100 word rule from same text by Heindel:

http://www.rosicrucian.com/mos/moseng08.htm

CHAPTER XXII

PROGRESSION OF THE HOROSCOPE

FATE OR FREE WILL

contiued from post #288 due to rule enforced by Moderator's editing:

The differences of character, nobility or brutality, moral strength or weakness, possession of high ideals or low instincts, etc., are certain signatures of soul power or soul poverty. Finer faculties are the glorious garments of gentle souls wrought through many lives in the crucible of concrete existence by trial and temptation. They shine with a luster which illuminates the way and makes it easier for others to follow. Coarseness of caliber proclaims the young in Life's School, but repeated existences here will in due time ........, mellow and makes them soulful ....

This thread is the Bread and potatoes of astrological precepts, Zarathu, good work!:lol:

Last edited:

Stephen

This is the only place in the universe where time exists.
Time - every moment is freewill.
A birth chart can be changed ( a persons fate) by anyone who realses that time is freewill.
Everyone is the creative power of the universe and can change anything.

Stephen.