Mars, the Bringer of War: What It Means In Your Chart

RaptInReverie

Mars, the Bringer of War: What It Means In Your Chart
By: RaptInReverie

This is a spin-off from a conversation between me and astrologer50 in another thread. Basically we had a small disagreement about the function of Mars in a natal chart. In this thread I will further expound upon my personal ideas of what Mars represents.

For starters, my background in occult studies encompasses planetary magick, and my views of the planets are heavily influenced by the ancient archetypes of the seven classical “planets“: Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn (Of course the Sun and the Moon are not technically planets).

I view these seven energies as not only mythological characters, but facets of the human psyche. When we examine mythology, we are also examining psychology and astrology. Furthermore, by meditating on the literature, art, and music inspired by these archetypes, we can develop a better understanding of their natures and their roles in our natal chart. For example, I listen to Holst’s The Planets Suite while visualizing these archetypes.

In regards to the planet Mars, I have come to the conclusion that its true attributes are wrongfully considered by many to be “negative”, so astrologers water them down to make them more palatable for their querents. But this misunderstanding arises only when one fails to realize the bigger picture. No planets are ‘good” or “bad”. They all balance each other out, creating an equilibrium in the personality.

Mars represents drive, action, energy, passion, courage, force, aggression, survival, desire, competition, pursuit, ambition, strength, courage, anger, domination, ruthlessness, combativeness, physicality, and human nature (as in fight or flight). I firmly hold to these archetypes because they were gathered from my own meditation on the Martian energy and not from a book by another astrologer.

Astrologer50 disagreed with a lot of my ideas of what Mars represents. She stated that aggression and the other seemingly “negative” attributes were only products of squares and other hard aspects to Mars. She believes that under the influence of soft aspects, Mars emits energy in a more harmonious fashion.

This is where I disagree with her; there is nothing “harmonious” about Mars! Mars’ role is to provoke us to action, to protect us, and to keep us alive. Its job is not to be nice, polite, fluffy, and peaceful--we have Venus for that. Mars is about getting to the goal and bulldozing ANY obstacles in our path. Mars is where we release our frustrations. Mars is our military force!

To put this into better perspective, I will use myself as an example: My Moon is in Pisces--a rather sensitive and delicate placement. Without my Mars in Gemini, I would be a lamb headed for slaughter everyday when I left the house. I NEED that warlike aggression to protect my delicate Piscean Moon, otherwise I’d be victimized my whole life. When we sugarcoat and suppress our Martian tendencies, we become unbalanced. Even in “harmonious” aspects our Mars must serve to preserve our beauty and delicacy. Roses have thorns; Natal charts have Mars’.

Mars.jpg

Image Source:http://www.miguelcoimbra.com

Last edited:

Caro

Interesting post.

yes I agree that sometimes the nice trines can actually cause issues to with mars in the mix. Some of the charts I have been looking at recently nice kite formation trine in air and mars is in there in air sign and topped by a planet in fire. yet this person(s) has an explosive unpredicatable temper. that is quite hidden perhaps triggered by a transit. (it has surprised me!!) I previously saw this a benefic combination but not anymore.

so would agree you have to look at more than hard aspects.(squares and oppositions)

some of the traditional astrology in this area is very interesting. (however I do believe that the outers have some impact on the chart too!:smile: so not sold on traditionalist view point)

Im still learning.

but sure mars is about agression and anger and we all have that its a common human emotion. some admit to it some dont(possible conditioning/upbringing) the chart can show if this is hidden/or difficult to access.

where someone is in denial about this is a little concerning. even on this site you can see how people post - their mars comes across!

Im a moon in pisces too. mars in libra though! but I do get mad!! haha it trines my sun!

Last edited:
Astrologer50 disagreed with a lot of my ideas of what Mars represents. She stated that aggression and the other seemingly “negative” attributes were only products of squares and other hard aspects to Mars. She believes that under the influence of soft aspects, Mars emits energy in a more harmonious fashion
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=330311&postcount=26
in this thread we were specifically discussing mercury sextile mars

and furthermore, we were *specifically* discussing mars in gemini only (which I have) and the general traits I listed here..
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=330429&postcount=28

obvioulsy house placement can say a lot as yours is in 9th and mine is 5th, well aspected.

Plus we need to take into account whether mars or mercury have hard aspects to planets that would add to argumentativeness, in particular mercury hard aspect uranus, pluto or mercury in libra can be arguementative, as well as planets in 7th house (natural home of libra)

I notice this thread was *widened* to discuss mars principles in general, not just the ones we were discussing....

Just laying the groundwork for discussions.....

Last edited:
Interesting post.
Im a moon in pisces too. mars in libra though! but I do get mad!! haha it trines my sun!

these two are quincunx signs, do they make an aspect? at some level we all get mad on occasions, it's inevitable. If you wave a red rag at abull long enough, it will charge (spoken like a true taurean ):whistling:

whole chart synthesis is important and to look what other aspects mercury and mars receives...

I have found any personal planet in libra tends to have an arguementative slant to them, espec if bored or not engaged enough. diplomat yes, but on the negative side,def touch argumentative...

Caro

Moon and mars - would have to check but i dont think so. I do have other quincunx aspects but not these. oh yeah I think saturn and mars are quincunx.

But yes I confess I am more than a little argumentative at times. like to know my facts and quick to pick up on inconsistancies in arguments which I happily point out. someone wrote on here about the tactical nature of a libra and I would agree with that.

also like to argue black is white sometimes which is hugely annoying to others.(shameful I know)

well thanks for confirming my theories about librans (and personal planets in libra) being argumentative... hat off for being honest...

Last edited:
This post is open to any and everything, astro50.

of course my friend I was just making distinctions about our previous discussions and what you have opened this thread upto.... no problem. Of course anyone can share this discussion, that's the astrological point here....and I hope they do...

RaptInReverie

of course my friend I was just making distinctions about our previous discussions and what you have opened this thread upto.... no problem. Of course anyone can share this discussion, that's the astrological point here....and I hope they do...

Ok, I would like to know how you feel Mars impacts your chart. Caro as well, if she sees this.

Choe

I have found any personal planet in libra tends to have an arguementative slant to them, espec if bored or not engaged enough. diplomat yes, but on the negative side,def touch argumentative...
I agree with your post,but I also think it could be because of progressions in Scorpio,or if the ruler Venus,is in Scorpio.

Am I right? As Scorpio tends to hate when bored lol.

Last edited:

Love2Know

"No planets are ‘good” or “bad”. They all balance each other out, creating an equilibrium in the personality. " Also, I love my sun opposition mars, cuz they make me smart and grow. My sun opposition mars has saved me in many situations and allows me to actually be the most emotionally peaceful and focused in intense situations. Yet, I can be kinda opposite over very mundane things, especially the worst if I am bored or inactive (not healthy).

I agree with your post,but I also think it could be because of progressions in Scorpio,or if the ruler Venus,is in Scorpio.

Am I right? As Scorpio tends to hate when bored lol.

I really don't like talking generalities or cookbooks, even though I do sometimes, like mentioned libra being arguementative. Perhaps you would post your chart with prog?

Where is your mars and how is it aspected?

Love2Know

Can I just say this my dad is a libra with a lot of libra and virgo, and his super power is reasoning, talking and arguing someone to death. I literally have to start clapping my hands or making animal noises for him to listen I am not even trying to be funny its out of like desperation lol. Also my brother has so many squares and is one of the most chilled out people I have ever met.

Last edited:

Choe

I really don't like talking generalities or cookbooks, even though I do sometimes, like mentioned libra being arguementative. Perhaps you would post your chart with prog?

Where is your mars and how is it aspected?

I don't like generalising either, but I'm talking about the archetype,not every person that has Sun or something in Scorpio. :)

Last edited:
If anyone doubts what I'm saying, try a little planetary magick. Invoke the energies of Mars and see if you'll encounter anything "harmonious", haha. :cool:
As mentioned previous to you, I would like to see if you want of course your planets in declination?

So if anyone is interested and wants to add another dimension or layer to their charts try here...

parallel
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrological_aspect#Declinations
http://www.skyviewzone.com/astrology/parallels.htm
http://en.mimi.hu/astrology/contraparallel.html
http://www2.bitstream.net/~bunlion/bpi/Glossary3.html
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/declinationsparallels.html
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum...ad.php?t=40285
http://www.librarising.com/astrology...clination.html
http://www.myastrologybook.com/aspects-and-orbs.htm
http://www.solsticepoint.com/1declination.htm
“PARALLEL: Two or more planets that are equal distant from the celestial equator, with each stellar body being either north OR south in declination. The influence is much like a conjunction”
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/

Contraparallel :
An aspect formed when two planets are in opposite declination, that is, when they are the same distance from the celestial equator, one north of it and one south. Generally considered to operate like an opposition.
http://www2.bitstream.net/~bunlion/bpi/Glossary.html#C
“CONTRA-PARALLEL: Two or more planets that are equal distant from the celestial equator, with one stellar body being north in declination and the other body being south. The influence is considered to be much like a opposition, although some consider similar to the conjunction.”
http://astrology.findyourfate.com/

You can get these free from astro.com when you get your chart go to top left just above chart, see option. What to look for are when there is no aspect natally but a parallel in declination
View the additional tables (PDF)

Love2Know

lol I find Scorpio placements are like really sensitive and think too much about it. I can be like this put in the end I either do something about it or get over it. I can't maintain anger or hate. Emotions are more like actions for me. I want to take an astrology course with a astronomy course and ancient history courses with a specialty in predictions my opinion is so ignorant at this stage it's upsetting. I do like the innovative nature in Rapt.. also the new age school is suspiciously looked at. Better to do something you like which is deemed credible in society. Though, as a social deviant you have a social loop hole where you can get away with what you want cuz either way your a social ***** up lol - Foucault the awesome Scorpio

Last edited:

byjove

Account Closed
Hi Rapt,

I was attracted to how you posed that title and I'm intrigued by how you put your case forward.

I see you've Mars in Gemini (snap!) too, can you tell us about how you see it in your life? How has it come to express for you over the years? :devil:

p.s. I've read more and more astrologers (not everyone of course is in agreement) that there is 'no easy aspect to Saturn' that it means tough lessons either way. This may be connected to the malefic you're talking about here, Mars, that this is only the 'strike out' force, no taming of this lion.

Also, I know someone close with Venus and Mars conjunct in Pisces. Her Venus definitely has it's own expression (including trine Scorpio ASC) but whether it softens her Mars, I don't know.

Last edited:

Love2Know

Without the lessons of Saturn there is no possibilities from Jupiter, what happens when we discover more planets and what makes the traditional values associated with each planet correct?

Without the lessons of Saturn there is no possibilities from Jupiter, what happens when we discover more planets and what makes the traditional values associated with each planet correct?

I should imagine very little, any new planets are likely to be asteriods fixed stars type of things, which have been added, like chiron for example

I'm not clear what you are asking regarding, "what makes Trad values assoc with each planet correct" are you asking why venus stands for love and affection and finacnes? why is saturn 'old father time' and cause delays frustrations and limitations??

StillOne

astrologer50, I think it would help if you included your viewpoints on Mars in this thread so we could compare better.

As of right now I'm leaning towards agreeing with RIR...

My Mars is very important in my chart. It's an earth Singleton, the apex of a Yod, retrograde, in Taurus in the 10th (equal/koch). The combination is interesting as it's very prominent in my chart but in fall and retrograde so it's a bit subtle but still there constantly to be accessed should I need it's strength which is very Taurian; slow, steady, persistent, with quite a bit of stamina. Once it gets moving it can stay in motion for awhile.

I think I'm a bit fortunate that it's in fall in Taurus because I'm afraid if it was in a different sign that the Rx would affect me in a possibly more adverse way. However, if it were in a different sign maybe I would have noticed it's effects earlier and been able to deal with it sooner.

I feel since it's an earth Singleton, Rx and the apex of a yod that it needs constant balancing. So anything to access the power of Mars does me good! However, since it's more internalized, due to the Rx, it's better that I'm competitive with myself or access it in an individualized manner.

Also to note it gets a Sextile from Saturn and a Square from Jupiter.