11th house -- groups, acquaintances/the unknown, the unpredictable

Lykanized

I'm an 11th houser(Sun/Merc in the 11th), but I've never been inclined to networking and I've never had a tribe and in fact, I shy away from such things. I'd consider it a weakness of mine but on the other hand, something I'm really not too interested in. You'd think with Sun and Merc in the 11th I'd be a social butterfly and easy communicator, but I'm not. For one, I have trouble communicating my thoughts and putting them into words in speech, tho I tend to excel in writing. I'm not a connector, I don't have a huge group of acquaintances, and I find it hard to make smalltalk. I'm much more comfortable with one on one communication and deeper conversation and I can't for the life of me figure out what to say to strangers. I tend to go deep really fast which will either pull people in, or push people away. I'm a writer by soul and heart so if I have a 'tribe', it's with poets or people in a mental institution which may as well be the same, however the group of people I can connect with is so small that all the benefits that would seem to come with Sun and Merc in the 11th house are nixed

I find the 11th house to be quite enigmatic, tho, even more so than the 12th. The 12th house is easy to understand. The 11th house seems to have its nature enmeshed with both the 10th and 12th where it's most commonly described as being about acquaintances and collaboration, but also about the unknown, the unexpected, things that happen by chance and can't be predicted. Where the bridge between these two seemingly unrelated conceptualizations?

The other aspect of the 11th house question is whether it's ruled by Uranus, Saturn, or by both. I personally find myself more Uranian than Saturnine,...miles more Uranian than Saturnine. Saturn seems to fall in my chart as a planet of lessons even moreso than would be implied by its innate encapsulization and the heaviness, the darkness that comes along for the Saturn ride

I have a strong drive to create change in the world and I think this is where the idea of collaboration does come into play for me personally. I'm a very independent person and tend to feel easily overwhelmed by people and also detest having to work under restrictions, which means I favor solitary work. But when I do happen to fall in line with someone, I become excited. I start thinking of the idea of doing projects together, what we could do together to aid in that change, my ideal of what the future could be. I'm very artistic so I also love the idea of meshing various mediums together from different people to create something even grander, more beautiful, and more meaningful than would've been with one medium. There's deep idealism and drive. My vision doesn't necessarily involve collaborating with people tho, it's more if someone happens to come along who shares that vision, it excites me. otherwise I'm a lonewolf, probably to the point of detriment. It's the idealism and vision that would solidify me as an 11th houser

I'm basically just trying to explore the 11th house and bridge the gap between 'the house of acquaintances' and 'the house of unexpected happenings' as well as figure out if it's really ruled by Uranus or Saturn or if perhaps that even varies by person

Frisiangal

You'd think with Sun and Merc in the 11th I'd be a social butterfly and easy communicator, but I'm not. For one, I have trouble communicating my thoughts and putting them into words in speech, tho I tend to excel in writing

Hi,
You seem to be pretty active on this forum in communicating with those whose minds share the same interest (Mercury) as yourself (Sun).

Wouldn't that be classified as an11th house interaction?

I'm basically just trying to explore the 11th house ............…. as well as figure out if it's really ruled by Uranus or Saturn or if perhaps that even varies by person

Saturn and Uranus rule the sign Aquarius but NOT the 11th house. The ruler of the sign on the 11th house cusp is, and even this depends upon which house system is used.

:smile:

AppLeo

Maybe you have negative aspects to the sun and/or mercury causing you to not excel in 11th house activities.

You also have to consider your entire chart. There could be something making you more introverted. And being a writer and all, that would make a lot of sense because you have a Virgo Moon (I think, I can't remember) and Virgo Moons are more reserved.

Or maybe you just haven't discovered that you do have a talent for connections and groups you just haven't tapped into it yet. I mean it's the sun. The sun usually indicates where we shine.

The 11th house isn't always a social house. I've heard it being referred to the house of hopes and dreams. It's also a house that gives strength and value to the 10th hosue. The 10th house is what you do, but the 11th house tells us how you change and impact the world.

Lykanized

Saturn and Uranus rule the sign Aquarius but NOT the 11th house. The ruler of the sign on the 11th house cusp is, and even this depends upon which house system is used.

:smile:
Well, I know they rule Aquarius, but I know our conceptions of what houses are about are usually very much driven by the planets that naturally rule them, so that's why I'm wondering about that and the meaning of the 11th house still seems to be about something more than connecting with likeminded people, something about unexpected events. Even favorable events, luck

Lykanized

Maybe you have negative aspects to the sun and/or mercury causing you to not excel in 11th house activities.

You also have to consider your entire chart. There could be something making you more introverted. And being a writer and all, that would make a lot of sense because you have a Virgo Moon (I think, I can't remember) and Virgo Moons are more reserved.

Or maybe you just haven't discovered that you do have a talent for connections and groups you just haven't tapped into it yet. I mean it's the sun. The sun usually indicates where we shine.

The 11th house isn't always a social house. I've heard it being referred to the house of hopes and dreams. It's also a house that gives strength and value to the 10th hosue. The 10th house is what you do, but the 11th house tells us how you change and impact the world.
All of that's true that I bolded. My Sun has a wide Uranus affliction and my Mercury has a very close Uranus-Neptune affliction and there's a lot of introverted energy in my house. Still yet, I may have hidden talents I haven't yet discovered. Leo happens to rule my 12th house so I would wonder if that means anything about the activity of my sun. In my view, it would

Have you heard it also referenced as a house of the unexpected, where anything unpredictable can happen? That's another aspect of it's meaning I'm trying to parse through and explore and also connect with its other more obvious meanings

It does help to view the houses has connected, but that also seems to indicate it would be connected to the 12th as well which speaks of those unexpected and unpredictable happenings

AppLeo

The only house that deals with unexpected changes or shocks is the 8th house. I haven’t heard that for any other house.

Lykanized

http://www.astro.com/astrology/in_dgelevhouse_e.htm
An article on the 11th house

Key excerpts
"We’re told that the 11th symbolizes the social codes that bind a society and the revolutionary zeal that breaks it apart."

"It describes what we have in common and what makes us different. It's a future-oriented house, but its social web is often sticky with the past. We’re told the 11th is about warm and loving relationships and the ones about which we feel much less. Here we’re detached. And we subordinate ourselves to collective aims. Yet we’re also acknowledged."

"Classical astrologers called the 11th “Bona Fortuna” (“Good Fortune”) and the “House of Good Spirit.” The logic, according to Deborah Houlding1, a modern expert in traditional astrology, is that a planet in the 11th is distant enough from the Ascendant that it can be seen clearly. Symbolically, it has passed the danger of being combust the rising Sun. And, it has freed itself from the 12th house hazards of incarceration or invisibility."

"The modern 11th house is a complicated place. Instead of that warm and benevolent pair, Sun and Jupiter, presiding over its activities, we have Uranus and Saturn, the ruling planets of Aquarius. The mythology of these two suggests a never-ending conflict. Uranus had the nasty habit of eating his children. Saturn (as Kronos) was the son who escaped this fate and struck his father down."

"Then there’s that most curious assignment, which says the 11th is the house of hopes and dreams. As if that weren’t enough, the 11th also rules airplanes, computers, varicose veins, electricity, galaxies, ballots, advisors, humanitarian causes, and unexpected gains." (that's where I got the 'unexpected' thing)

Interestingly, in my case, like everyone from my generation, I have Uranus in Capricorn and Saturn in Aquarius, mutual reception even tho their natures are so opposing. I also have a couple of oppositions to my Capricorn Uranus. And with one of those major oppositions being to Mercury which is in the 11th house for me, I think that frustration to revolutionize is probably amped up because I want to escape the restrictive nature of Saturn. Maybe that's the source of my issues with accepting the commonly spoken nature of the house. I relate a lot more to the revolutionary energy

Saturn itself is in my 6th house and forms only hard aspects in my chart, a few, but to significant places in my chart which makes me think that even more than is suggested by its just being ******* Saturn and retrograde, it's there as a source of lessons for me. Indeed, many lessons have come to me in the form of accepting limitation and restraint. I've had to learn a little of their graces as at one point, I was pretty relentless and unwilling to give up my desires and will. I'm still unwilling, but I also recognize the necessity of balance and that that's the only way to achieve any of the vision I do have

I get the feeling the unexpected events here are keyed in through its future orientation and perhaps lies in striking the balance between Saturn and Uranus,...being idealistic and future oriented, open to what life has to give you, but grounded enough to know what to actually do with them. I know Uranus is known for shaking things up tho. Nothing goes as planned when a Uranus sings its song, so I've heard. So it makes sense that the 11th house would have some relation to the unexpected and unpredictable especially if Saturn is fully excluded from the mix, but I pretty much mix both classical and modern rulers

That article does acknowledge that the 11th house is pretty damned confusing. I think it would be less confusing if it wasn't apparently ruled by both Saturn and Uranus which as noted are in constant conflict, yet classically, it seems to be a fortunate house

Granted one thing I do know for sure is that conflict may be the most powerful catalyst for change which could leave one open to greater chances of receiving fortune of various kinds in life

Last edited: