My Dominant Planets

piscesascendant

brianschart.png

Ever since I came across Dominant Planets calculations and percentages on astrotheme.com among celebrities, I had tried to find how to calculate my dominant planets. I finally found the series of links on astro.com and I don’t mind sharing (at least I hope I don’t regret sharing, lol):

Neptune: 17%
Jupiter: 13%
Mercury: 11%
Uranus: 9.5%
Moon: 8.8%
Venus: 8.3%
Mars:7.3%
Pluto:7%
Sun: 6.5%
Saturn: 6.5%

Here are some of the thoughts that sprang to mind the moment I saw these percentages and rankings:

I had a strong feeling that Neptune and Jupiter would rank high, being co-rulers of the chart and in mutual reception. At the same time, it made me concerned that I would either come across or at the other end, confirm my feelings of occasionally feeling superficial. It also seems to indicate a person who can be too “nice”, even naïve. When I’ve brought up this “naïve” concern with two people, one of whom is a professional astrologer, and the other a friend who knows astrology (and both have seen my chart), they dismiss the “naïve” description immediately. The astrologer said it was’nt naïve but idealistic. I could see that in myself. My friend (who dismissed the naïve description very quickly) told me she always saw me as world-weary. But then, she was referring to my ascendant. I can see how Neptune would dominate because women and men, especially women, seem to gaze into my eyes like they’re losing themselves in a dream.

One ranking I wasn’t that surprised by was my Sun tying for last.. I‘ve just never felt ego-centric, or I should say not that ego-centric. Granted, Jupiter in the sign it co-rules, and in the 1st house, could indicate a larger than life personality, but I don't think that necessarily equates with having a big ego. A nice line of support for that, and this came from the astrologer when looking at my chart as a whole (but I’m guessing focused on the Saturn-Pluto square), was that she told me I had a strong ego, not a big ego. With my Jupiter in the 1st and co-ruling my chart, it’s understandable why people “conclude” sometimes that they think I’m bragging about something.. With that said, I feel like I’m always having to proceed with caution before saying anything positive about myself. Of course, that could be said for anybody, but for some reason I fel that really holds true for me.

Another ranking I wasn’t surprised by was my last place Saturn. I like organizing and doing so feels natural, but I’m thinking that may stem from its aspecting my dominant Neptune. In other words, if it needs to get done, I can do it, but I dislike endless structuring simply for the sake of it. I feel much more at home in the mysterious and amorphous. To tie this Neptune Saturn connection (inconjunct) together, I’ve had friends and family tell me in the past that I’m “too complex”, “a mystery”, “completely impenetrable”, etc. Essentially, I feel fairly unpeggable, and I have noticed that people who think they know me well really know me on the surface.

Another ranking I noticed was Uranus over Saturn. In another thread I mentioned reading that Saturn ruled the left-brain and Uranus the creative right-brain. This ranking may explain (at least to me) why I’ve had difficulty in the past getting down on paper my most creative pursuits, yet with Neptune leading the rankings, also explains why I’m more geared and “in the zone” toward writing during explosions of creative inspiration.

I also have to bear in mind that (from what I’ve read) Neptune in Sagittarius in the 9th (like mine) tends to communicate very encrypted, almost in code, rather than the more flowing type of conversation people may be accustomed to. With my lunar nodes added on top of that, it’s as if my communication style goes from scattered and piecemeal to encrypted mytserious.

Perhaps I’ll share more later.

Until then, arrivederci.

Mark

Your most dominant planet; it is Venus. I don't know where those numbers came from, but both dhundhun and I want to assert that your chart is ruled by Venus. I would guess that the numbers are weighted incorrectly. Any time you find a planet close to the ascendant, especially when it is within 3 degrees, that planet is sure to be the most influential. There are reasons for this which require accepting a few things about the nature of human life. Your mind (not emotions, but mind) has been shaped by the planet (plane) Venus.

I also would like to say that the Sun tells of the constitution of one's ego, not that one has a big (or "strong") ego. It indicates how your relations with self and other people are put together. It's also worth remembering that most people are terrible at reading and understanding others. Seriously, the average person is nearly blind! You're not a closed book, nor a mystery. For example, I am a student of psychology and astrology. Sit in front of me and you will be anything but "unpeggable."

piscesascendant

Your most dominant planet; it is Venus. I don't know where those numbers came from

they come from astro.com.

but both dhundhun and I want to assert that your chart is ruled by Venus.
duly noted.

I would guess that the numbers are weighted incorrectly. Any time you find a planet close to the ascendant, especially when it is within 3 degrees, that planet is sure to be the most influential.
Not necessarily. I've come across charts where the planet along the ascendant, or close to it, is further down the dominance scale. But... duly noted.

I also would like to say that the Sun tells of the constitution of one's ego, not that one has a big (or "strong") ego.
Don't forget that the constitution of one's ego can determine the size and strength of that ego.

It indicates how your relations with self and other people are put together. It's also worth remembering that most people are terrible at reading and understanding others. Seriously, the average person is nearly blind! You're not a closed book, nor a mystery. For example, I am a student of psychology and astrology. Sit in front of me and you will be anything but "unpeggable."
Interesting, considering a friend of mine works in psychology (is no longer a student) and on more than one occasion told me I was a mystery to him.

In terms of your last sentence, well, I don't doubt you feel that way.

dr. farr

(Following contains statements which might not be in accordance with generally accepted contemporary astrological delineation)

-Jupiter is conjunct ascendant and it its own domicile (thus is disposited by itself and not subject to any other planet); further it is "double-dignified" because it is also in the 3rd Manilius decan of Pisces, which is the Pisces decan(therefore "double domiciled"); following the Robson precessional conversion, Jupiter is also in the starry-constellation of Pisces as well ("triple domicle")
-Jupiter and Sun have highest longitudinal degrees (within a sign), which is an important Jaimini (branch of Vedic astrology) dignity (also considered a dignity in Greco/Roman astrology up until around the 2nd century AD) However, Sun is debilitated by being in a cadent house (12th whole sign house) and, more significantly, posited in a pitted degree (see the thread "Elevated and Pitted Degrees" in the Natal forum Digities section) So Jupiter alone gets the added dignity of highest-longitudinal-degrees-in-a-sign, among the planets in this chart
-Neptune is strong by angular placement in the 10th (whole sign) house; however, Neptune is in fact disposited by Jupiter (giving Jupiter dominance over Neptune) and more significantly Neptune (like the Sun) is posited in a pitted degree (thus tending to have its influence neutralized, or at least somewhat "blocked") Clearly Jupiter comes out as more dominant than Neptune when these 2 planets are compared.
-Venus is strong: it is conjunct the ascending degree (with a tighter orb of conjunction than Jupiter) and it is in its exaltation sign.Venus is also in its trigon, and further, it receives a potent amplification from its longitudinal conjunction with the 1st magnitude benefic star Achernar.
However:
a) Venus does not rule the ascending sign, Jupiter does
b) Venus is disposited by Jupiter, showing Jupiter dominance over Venus
c) Venus is also in the Piscean "face" of Jupiter, hinting again at Jupiter predominance
d) Venus degrees of longitude in the sign are less than those of Jupiter
e) this is a diurnal nativity; Venus is affinitive to nocturnal (planetary sect consideration) while Jupiter is affinitive to diurnal (ditto): so an added + toward Jupiter predominance over Venus results from this nocturnal/diurnal consideration.

While Venus and Jupiter are very close, in (my) final analysis-by the methodology I apply-Jupiter is the dominant planet in this nativity...

Last edited:

Claire19

(Following contains statements which might not be in accordance with generally accepted contemporary astrological delineation)

-Jupiter is conjunct ascendant and it its own domicile (thus is disposited by itself and not subject to any other planet); further it is "double-dignified" because it is also in the 3rd Manilius decan of Pisces, which is the Pisces decan(therefore "double domiciled"); following the Robson precessional conversion, Jupiter is also in the starry-constellation of Pisces as well ("triple domicle")
-Jupiter and Sun have highest longitudinal degrees (within a sign), which is an important Jaimini (branch of Vedic astrology) dignity (also considered a dignity in Greco/Roman astrology up until around the 2nd century AD) However, Sun is debilitated by being in a cadent house (12th whole sign house) and, more significantly, posited in a pitted degree (see the thread "Elevated and Pitted Degrees" in the Natal forum Digities section) So Jupiter alone gets the added dignity of highest-longitudinal-degrees-in-a-sign, among the planets in this chart
-Neptune is strong by angular placement in the 10th (whole sign) house; however, Neptune is in fact disposited by Jupiter (giving Jupiter dominance over Neptune) and more significantly Neptune (like the Sun) is posited in a pitted degree (thus tending to have its influence neutralized, or at least somewhat "blocked") Clearly Jupiter comes out as more dominant than Neptune when these 2 planets are compared.
-Venus is strong: it is conjunct the ascending degree (with a tighter orb of conjunction than Jupiter) and it is in its exaltation sign.Venus is also in its trigon, and further, it receives a potent amplification from its longitudinal conjunction with the 1st magnitude benefic star Achernar.
However:
a) Venus does not rule the ascending sign, Jupiter does
b) Venus is disposited by Jupiter, showing Jupiter dominance over Venus
c) Venus is also in the Piscean "face" of Jupiter, hinting again at Jupiter predominance
d) Venus degrees of longitude in the sign are less than those of Jupiter
e) this is a diurnal nativity; Venus is affinitive to nocturnal (planetary sect consideration) while Jupiter is affinitive to diurnal (ditto): so an added + toward Jupiter predominance over Venus results from this nocturnal/diurnal consideration.

While Venus and Jupiter are very close, in (my) final analysis-by the methodology I apply-Jupiter is the dominant planet in this nativity...
I would suggest to keep the language simple and easy to understand for everyone.. You complicate a science that is already complex enough but I prefer to keep it as simple as possible. Actually Jupiter is stronger than Venus, you are right.

Last edited:

piscesascendant

Claire, I noticed a difference in your post from what I received in my email notification. One sentence (or portion of a sentence) in the email notification (edited out?) of your recent post was "This is a beginner..."

And by the way, I'm not trying to snap at you (in case it comes across that way), just clarifying a bit.

Not sure why you edited it out. Maybe you thought I would be offended. I'm not, but I'm not a beginner. I'm aware that "senior member" only refers to the numbers of posts I've written, and not expertise in knowledge. Although some of the astrological terminology is new to me, once I've researched the meanings, it's immediately understandable. It helps me when I come across astrology vernacular that's new to me. I've been reading up on astrology since I was 17. I'm 35 now and am still learning. So don't worry, I can handle the deeper end.

Thanks just the same.

Looks like the "race" (lol) is between Neptune, Jupiter, and Venus. I've been seeking out any other sites to help me calculate this. It may indeed turn out that those numbers from astro.com might have been off. I compared the data from astrology charts from celebrities as featured on astrotheme.com, entered the birth information on astro.com, compared the dominant planets calculations for each, and some are different (by quite a bit in some cases). Or maybe the dominance ranking is correct, but the numbers are off in my chart.

Thanks again, everyone.

greybeard

Golly.....astrotheme and I rate the planetary strength very differently.

Here's the listing you gave:

Neptune: 17%
Jupiter: 13%
Mercury: 11%
Uranus: 9.5%
Moon: 8.8%
Venus: 8.3%
Mars:7.3%
Pluto:7%
Sun: 6.5%
Saturn: 6.5%

Saturn is extremely powerful by my methods. In fact, Saturn is the predominant energy in this chart. Jupiter is also granted exceptional power (Actually, it is the Venus/Jupiter conjunction that acquires power; Venus is dignified by exaltation -- in partile sextile the similarly dignified Mars -- and, by aspect-orbs, is more active than Jupiter...and the focus of the Cardinal T-square is in Pluto, 7th House and Libra -- ruled by Venus). And how can we ignore the 12th House complex? (and of what use are those percentages? A human being is not a bar graph, but a dynamic kaleidoscopic organism with all parts interrelated and interacting. Our methods of analysis and evaluation should reflect this fact by giving us a dynamic picture of planetary power and function within the whole. Assigning numerical values to each planet does not do this; such methods, while useful as far as they go, are mechanical, and man is not a machine.)

Here's why: First and foremost, Saturn stands apart from all other planets: the other 9 (or 6, according to your usage) form a group from which Saturn is clearly separated.

The fact that Saturn is in his detriment does not weaken him (in terms of influence in the character/destiny; it simply indicates that "how he works" is not as "favorable" as might be desired.) "Weakness" can, in some charts, be the dominant force.

Second, Saturn in his detriment is very closely opposed to the exalted Mars. This opposition is central to the form or pattern of the horoscope (the midpoint of Pluto/Jupiter=about 1 Capricorn, the center of the group of 9), and this opposition describes the central core issue of the life and destiny. Mars is elevated over Saturn, but Saturn's singular position vis-a-vis the rest of the planets gives him superlative power in the life.

Furthermore, Saturn is participant in the Cardinal T-square focused on Pluto. Such a complex (formation) of planets is traditionally considered to be a major influence in the life, and planets participating in these formations are generally awarded "strength" by most astrologers. The strength grows because the planets involved do not stand alone, but work "in yoke", the action of one directly affecting the others involved, and the complex or formation has an important general influence on the whole chart (personality).

And how about Saturn as lord of Aquarius? This rulership means that he is lord of BOTH LIGHTS and Mercury (retrograde); and these planets are critical to the horoscope with their placement in the 12th. Using the traditional rulerships [which worked quite well for 2000 years], we find Saturn and Moon in mutual reception, and their meanings coincident [Saturn in detriment, Moon combust in the 12th....Moon is weak by many measures in this chart.]

Jupiter is the traditional lord of Pisces, is in the sign, is close on the Ascendant and in the First House, and directly rules Neptune, who is coincidentally in Jupiter's natural 9th House. How can Neptune be ascribed such power? Jupiter clearly takes precedence; Neptune is cadent and 12 degrees distant from the upper angle, while Jupiter is angular (by house) and rising only 5 degrees from the angle.

I don't know what astrotheme's method for determining planetary strength is, but I would strongly disagree with the evaluation in your case.

Try this. Accept my evaluation that the Mars/Saturn opposition describes the "core issue" in the chart. It is the axis around which this life turns. So...test what I am saying by analyzing (interpreting) this opposition as fully as your resources allow you, and see if you don't recognize it as central to your "life challenges," affecting everything you do at the deepest level. Then run the same "test" using Neptune. I already know which one will come front and center, but you must test it for yourself.

I just now read Dr. Farr's excellent analysis, resulting in his proclaiming Jupiter as the power in this chart. I agree with him.

Jupiter is the planet that both essentially and accidentally is most powerful.

However, I use planetary patterns and structure in my own methodology (these are not "traditional" measures, and it appears Dr. Farr is a traditional astrologer). I also use quadrant houses where Dr. Farr uses whole-sign houses, thus giving a different mundane placement to Neptune. Even so, our differning methods bring us both to Jupiter.

Looking at the overall structure of the chart, Satun "stands out like a sore thumb." He is singleton by hemisphere, as well as by chart pattern. The planet is not angular, is in detriment, beholds an afflicting opposition to Mars, an alienating square to Pluto.....by all counts a weakened planet. Taking this condition into account, it is as if an Olympic athlete had a clubfoot, or were handicapped by having to drag a rock along with him in his race. Saturn stands out, and is powerful, in that sense. Saturn must be addressed in this horoscope because it is very very powerful despite its weakness according to the traditional methods of weighing the planets. Until Saturn is met and dealt with, Jupiter will be weighted down with that rock.

I can't see where Dr. Farr has made astrology "more complex." His post is clear and easy to understand.

Last edited:

Claire19

Your chart ruler is Neptune in the 9th sagittarius. Jupiter in the 1st is also stronger in Pisces than Venus upon reflection. and there is added weight with mutual reception. Any planet in the 1st house and close to the ascendant is always strong.

Last edited:

Claire19

Claire, I noticed a difference in your post from what I received in my email notification. One sentence (or portion of a sentence) in the email notification (edited out?) of your recent post was "This is a beginner..."

And by the way, I'm not trying to snap at you (in case it comes across that way), just clarifying a bit.

Not sure why you edited it out. Maybe you thought I would be offended. I'm not, but I'm not a beginner. I'm aware that "senior member" only refers to the numbers of posts I've written, and not expertise in knowledge. Although some of the astrological terminology is new to me, once I've researched the meanings, it's immediately understandable. It helps me when I come across astrology vernacular that's new to me. I've been reading up on astrology since I was 17. I'm 35 now and am still learning. So don't worry, I can handle the deeper end.

Thanks just the same.

Looks like the "race" (lol) is between Neptune, Jupiter, and Venus. I've been seeking out any other sites to help me calculate this. It may indeed turn out that those numbers from astro.com might have been off. I compared the data from astrology charts from celebrities as featured on astrotheme.com, entered the birth information on astro.com, compared the dominant planets calculations for each, and some are different (by quite a bit in some cases). Or maybe the dominance ranking is correct, but the numbers are off in my chart.

Thanks again, everyone.
I was not offended at all and I hope you weren't. I just took another look at the post that is all and decided to edit a bit. I didnt mean to be condescending.

I dont do the percentages bit with astrology for dominance. I look at what is in natural house or sign and how heavily the planets are aspected. The Sun and Moon are always the strongest along with the ascendant ruler, and any planets in the 1st, in my view.