Understanding Derivative Houses?

Astronoodles

Hey, all, long time no see! I've been in sort of an astrological slump for the past year or so. I started college this past semester and have been dealing with that.

Anyways, I've been reading Planets in Houses by Robert Pelletier and trying to understand derivative houses and how they function. I was hoping someone could provide insight on this issue? The example in the beginning, which concerns a woman with her Sun in the third house square Saturn in the 6th, is so insightful and cool, but I can't seem to apply the same techniques to my own chart because the underlying mechanisms are just so confusing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

AJ Astrology

Hey, all, long time no see! I've been in sort of an astrological slump for the past year or so. I started college this past semester and have been dealing with that.

Anyways, I've been reading Planets in Houses by Robert Pelletier and trying to understand derivative houses and how they function. I was hoping someone could provide insight on this issue? The example in the beginning, which concerns a woman with her Sun in the third house square Saturn in the 6th, is so insightful and cool, but I can't seem to apply the same techniques to my own chart because the underlying mechanisms are just so confusing.

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!

Hi Astronoodles,

I use it in horary and mundane, but not natal charts.

Your H3 is siblings. If you have a brother or sister, then H3 is their Ascendant, so H9 is their H7, H6 is their H4, H12 is their H10 and so on.

In theory, you should be able to determine things about your siblings.

The obvious problem arises when there's more than one sibling. Some sources say use the triplicity rulers, so that the 1st triplicity ruler is your oldest sibling, the 2nd triplicity ruler is the next sibling in birth-order but that fails if you have more than 3 siblings.

Then there's the houses that represent the mother and father. The authorities all disagree on which house is the proper house to use.

But, what's the point? Why go through all that effort when you can just get the birth-times for siblings and parents and cast charts for them?

Another use is H4 represents among things your real property. In theory, since H7 is your partners and business partners and associates, then your 10 is their H4 and it will tell you about their property.

I'm not a modern astrologer, but I am familiar with Pelletier and do respect his works and appreciate his insights, but really, I see no value in derived houses.

The knowledge gained is not worth the effort spent.

The time invested would be better spent on profections and directions and examining chronocators so you can deal with what life throws at you.