Mercury square the moons nodes

Hello everyone,

I'm new here on these boards. I've been into astrology since about dec. of 2006.

I've read the interpretation on this sight for Mercury square the North Node and [:mad: swear deleted - Moderator] it's horifying especially when it doesn't have anything good about it like the one fore mercury opposite the North Node. I was wondering if anyone could give me any thoughts on this aspect. I can't really find any other interpretation for it other than the one on this site. Any ideas? Seems like an awfully depressing aspect. While i'm at it my whole chart is well pretty bad. I'm not an unhappy person though.

Any thoughts on this aspect would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

hermetic

I would also like to hear some explanation on this aspect, since I generally do not know much about Nodes' aspects. My Mercury is also squaring this axis plus it is retrograde... I would help you out but I have no clue what it means, but I don't think it would be that hard. Much more difficult aspects come to mind ;)

Last edited:
Yea, those other aspects that you're referring to, I probably have them. Hahaha. I've got sun square pluto. Moon opposite saturn. venus opposite jupiter (which isn't that bad). jupiter square uranus. Venus square uranus. A weak square between mercury and pluto with an orb of about 8.33; which some people would probably say isn't a square but i feel like it is. Then there is the weak opposites between my north node and pluto and my pluto and midheaven. Those being about 10.15 and 10. 11 respectively. Again some would probably say those don't count but i'm pretty sure i feel their effects. Anyone who would like to take a peak at my chart can here. http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?cid=5yrfileq75i0v-u1208356256&lang=e&gm=a1&nhor=1&nho2=1&btyp=2&mth=gw&sday=9&smon=6&syr=2008&hsy=-1&zod=&orbp=&rs=0&ast=

hermetic

ok, I found explanation on Mercury square nodes in some text, here it is:

In this aspect, general intellect and communicativeness is often controlled by a remote switch. They need to communicate in order to feel good, but they are frequently unable to do so for no specific reason. Hidden tensions with brothers/sisters are often seen. These tensions create a psychological problem since early childhood. Their mental brightness is very fluctuating. Depending upon the position of Mercury in teh house and the sign, one may be brilliant or dumb. Intellectual balance will be achieved in this life by way of controlling the learning intensity.

[deleted overly long quote against forum rules - Moderator Text taken from: http://www.scribd.com/doc/2204093/Mercury-Sign-House-Aspect]

Last edited by a moderator:
The part about the brothers and sisters is kinda scary. I guess over all that particular explanation isn't so bad though. I guess. Thanks a lot for posting that. Can i ask where you found it?

hermetic

it's from a e-book I downloaded recently, "Lunar nodes"

As I said since I have this aspect myself, while typing this out I could relate with several parts, but especially that sibling remark. Most of it holds true for me.
I notice in your chart mercury is quite weak by essental dignities(probably the weakest planet), so maybe this square can be felt even more because of it. But I will just add that your Sun, Mars and Venus are quite strong, and despite all the bad aspects, there is lot of potential there. I mean, you're double leo after all, no bad aspect can negate that ;)

dr. farr

Aspectual relations with nodal points have actually not been much investigated in modern Western astrology (conjunctions/parallels have-but technically these are not aspects); however, these aspectual relations have an extensive background in jyotish (Vedic astrology) in which the nodes are given the delineative role of "shadow planets" (NN = Rahu, SN = Ketu); check the aspectual indications of the (7 traditional planets) with NN (Rahu) and SN (Ketu) in some of the leading Vedic textbooks for additional insights.

In Western astrology (pretty much up to the 17th century) the nodes were accorded great astrological influence. The SN particularly was regarded as the only "true" malefic celestial influence under any and all conditions and circumstances (I follow this medieval concept, my experiences with the Dragon's Tail leaving me virtually no doubt about the objective reality of this concept) The NN in the Western tradition (historically) has generally been delineated as positive (mixture of the benefic influences of Jupiter conjunct Venus), however in both the Vedic and (various) Chinese traditions, the NN has a much more mixed-influence (often even malefic) reputation (the SN holds a malefic influence in all traditions: Western, Vedic, Chinese)

When a degree, Part or planet is aspected both by the NN and SN (and please note:the maximum aspectual/conjunctive orb of the nodes = 3 degrees; orbs of 2 degrees or less are the most intense) the net effect is mixed (as to benefic or malefic), HOWEVER, this aspect to BOTH the nodes means that a great deal of cosmic influence centers around that planet (or degree or Part)-this intensified underlying influence might "cut" either for great good-or great disruption!

There was an astrological configuration highly regarded by alchemists and others up through the late Renaissance (now long forgotten), one which is rather uncommonly encountered, known as the "Crux Draconis" (Dragon's Cross). Finding this configuration in a chart meant enormous, hidden cosmic "tides" roiling under the surface of the chart, indicating great potential good or evil, depending upon how those "tides" were directed.

The Crux Draconis configuration is formed as follows:

-NN + SN (the axis) are in the "pivots" (angles; either 1st+7th or 4th+10th)
-at right angles to the NN/SN, there is (within 2 degrees of perfect 90 degree aspect) either a cusp degree (or sensitive point degree) or a planet, found in each of the other 2 pivots (angles) of the chart.

Last edited:

Claire19

Hello everyone,

I'm new here on these boards. I've been into astrology since about dec. of 2006.

I've read the interpretation on this sight for Mercury square the North Node and [:mad: swear deleted - Moderator] it's horifying especially when it doesn't have anything good about it like the one fore mercury opposite the North Node. I was wondering if anyone could give me any thoughts on this aspect. I can't really find any other interpretation for it other than the one on this site. Any ideas? Seems like an awfully depressing aspect. While i'm at it my whole chart is well pretty bad. I'm not an unhappy person though.

Any thoughts on this aspect would be appreciated. Thank you.
Some people dont even use a square with nodes, just the conjunction. What orb is it. Only 3 degrees at most with Mercury. Can you post a chart so we can see where it is. It is dealing with communications but that is all we can say at the moment. I dont believe in good and bad, just challenging and from which we learn and grow, and easy or flowing, that can hardly be noticed as it is not a lesson to be learned but can be used with ease.

Claire19

Aspectual relations with nodal points have actually not been much investigated in modern Western astrology (conjunctions/parallels have-but technically these are not aspects); however, these aspectual relations have an extensive background in jyotish (Vedic astrology) in which the nodes are given the delineative role of "shadow planets" (NN = Rahu, SN = Ketu); check the aspectual indications of the (7 traditional planets) with NN (Rahu) and SN (Ketu) in some of the leading Vedic textbooks for additional insights.

In Western astrology (pretty much up to the 17th century) the nodes were accorded great astrological influence. The SN particularly was regarded as the only "true" malefic celestial influence under any and all conditions and circumstances (I follow this medieval concept, my experiences with the Dragon's Tail leaving me virtually no doubt about the objective reality of this concept) The NN in the Western tradition (historically) has generally been delineated as positive (mixture of the benefic influences of Jupiter conjunct Venus), however in both the Vedic and (various) Chinese traditions, the NN has a much more mixed-influence (often even malefic) reputation (the SN holds a malefic influence in all traditions: Western, Vedic, Chinese)

When a degree, Part or planet is aspected both by the NN and SN (and please note:the maximum aspectual/conjunctive orb of the nodes = 3 degrees; orbs of 2 degrees or less are the most intense) the net effect is mixed (as to benefic or malefic), HOWEVER, this aspect to BOTH the nodes means that a great deal of cosmic influence centers around that planet (or degree or Part)-this intensified underlying influence might "cut" either for great good-or great disruption!

There was an astrological configuration highly regarded by alchemists and others up through the late Renaissance (now long forgotten), one which is rather uncommonly encountered, known as the "Crux Draconis" (Dragon's Cross). Finding this configuration in a chart meant enormous, hidden cosmic "tides" roiling under the surface of the chart, indicating great potential good or evil, depending upon how those "tides" were directed.

The Crux Draconis configuration is formed as follows:

-NN + SN (the axis) are in the "pivots" (angles; either 1st+7th or 4th+10th)
-at right angles to the NN/SN, there is (within 2 degrees of perfect 90 degree aspect) either a cusp degree (or sensitive point degree) or a planet, found in each of the other 2 pivots (angles) of the chart.
An aspect to the North node has to have one at its polar opposite south node. It is the north node that we concentrate on with this life path. THe south node tells us in general what conditions we were in from the past and what feels familiar but need to go directly opposite this time in order to grow and progress. The trick is to merge the two I guess. Tap into what we already know and use it for our path this lifetime.

Claire19

This is extremely interesting, since I've been discussing my Mercury placement in another thread on here. I have the Mercury square North Node aspect, and the brother/sister thing is spot-on. There are definitely hidden tensions between my brother and me, that's for sure. I feel like we are total polar opposites, and he just rubs me the wrong way. In fact, he recently stole from my debit card account earlier in the year, and I refuse to even acknowledge his presence anymore. A level of trust has certainly been betrayed with me.

As for the intellectual aspect, I'm very fortunate since I seem to be on the "brilliant" side of things: Mercury stationary direct in Virgo in the 8th House. I always did well in school, and I'm currently on the academic path (going for my Ph.D. later this year). I definitely have the aptitude for it, but it's going to be a long process (much to my impatience). It's going to be a long, slow (but steady) road....particularly since I'm a Rising Capricorn with Saturn strongly conjunct the Midheaven in Scorpio. I'm fully confident that I will reach a very large height, which I hope to stay there and not fall lol.
8th house Mercury deals with secret, criminal matters and often hidden and intense feelings, perhaps of jealousy and rage. Revenge is often a motivating force. Siblings and sometimes neighbours and school friends are often featured.

Are you going into psychology or related field, criminal investigations, forensics etc....????? Where is your Pluto????I dont have your chart but I have Scorpio on the MC and Pluto in the 6th and I am into healing modalities and counselling and have worked with criminal and confidential matters.

dr. farr

In the eclectic delineative methodology which I follow:

-the most important nodal relationships to planets, Parts or degrees is by parallel of declination; only the parallel node (to the planet, etc) is applied in delineation

-a longitudinal conjunction (of planet, Part or degree) with one of the nodes supercedes the mechanical opposition aspect from the other node: ie, Mercury conjunct NN would mechanically = Mercury opposition to SN; however, in this approach the mechanical longitudinal opposition to the SN would be discounted and only the longitudinal conjunction with NN used in delineation

(Note: except in considering the uncommon Crux Draconis, I almost exclusively consider nodal delineation only regarding parallel and close-within 2 degrees-longitudinal conjunction)

-regarding other aspects (of planets, Parts or degrees) to the nodes, the node on the same side of the ecliptic (in declination) as the aspecting planet, gets the delineative emphasis if semi-sextile, sextile or trine; the node on the opposite side of the ecliptic (in declination) gets the delineative emphasis in square or semi-square aspects

-while I definitely consider the karmic ramifications of the nodes (and follow Claire19 in what the nodes represent, especially in natal delineation), I also consider that the nodes have meanings (macrocosmic influences) peculiar to themselves (in addition to their karmic ramifications); in this additional outlook I share the concepts regarding the nodes found in Vedic, Greek, Persian and medieval astrological thinking.

Last edited:

Claire19

In the eclectic delineative methodology which I follow:

-the most important nodal relationships to planets, Parts or degrees is by parallel of declination; only the parallel node (to the planet, etc) is applied in delineation

-a longitudinal conjunction (of planet, Part or degree) with one of the nodes supercedes the mechanical opposition aspect from the other node: ie, Mercury conjunct NN would mechanically = Mercury opposition to SN; however, in this approach the mechanical longitudinal opposition to the SN would be discounted and only the longitudinal conjunction with NN used in delineation

(Note: except in considering the uncommon Crux Draconis, I almost exclusively consider nodal delineation only regarding parallel and close-within 2 degrees-longitudinal conjunction)

-regarding other aspects (of planets, Parts or degrees) to the nodes, the node on the same side of the ecliptic (in declination) as the aspecting planet, gets the delineative emphasis if semi-sextile, sextile or trine; the node on the opposite side of the ecliptic (in declination) gets the delineative emphasis in square or semi-square aspects

-while I definitely consider the karmic ramifications of the nodes (and follow Claire19 in what the nodes represent, especially in natal delineation), I also consider that the nodes have meanings (macrocosmic influences) peculiar to themselves (in addition to their karmic ramifications); in this additional outlook I share the concepts regarding the nodes found in Vedic, Greek, Persian and medieval astrological thinking.
Always a fascinating subject and weight should be given to the nodes equal to the Sun and Moon for importance. Often overlooked.
I dont bother with the minor aspects really. I have a 3 degree conjunction to Uranus in Gemini and that has given support to my astrological studies and in the 4th I have had to find a comfortable stable home for myself after the Sagittarius south node wanderings of an adventurer....:happy: THere is a book that delineates the degrees of the signs of the nodes and our past life situation but I cant recall where I read it unfortunately.

OK, so going by what you said, Mercury obviously is a planet that factors strongly into my life. I also happen to have Neptune strongly conjunct my South Node. How can that be a bad thing though? If the south node is "where you're coming from," doesn't that also mean you've mastered that in previous lifetimes? It also means first half of this life and confusions as to one roots,familly etc.

My South Node is in Sagittarius, so I have a good amount of Sagittarianism to pull from in order to accomplish my current life goals (I'd imagine). With Neptune there, maybe things ruling Neptune I also have command over?? Just wondering about this here...I realize that the bad part about this is that you could fall back on old habits signified by those placements, which would blind you to your current mission. I believe Bill Clinton has a south node/neptune conjunction.

A major obstacle I tend to come across is scattering my energies everywhere, trying to do too many things at once, etc. Focus on the mastery of one thing is probably vital to my success.

Neptune conj S Node suggests illusions, confusions about what you are/were doing first half of your life and to become more gemini communactive and delivery lots of bits of information at the right place at the right time to whomever needs it, you may never know the good you have done with the right word here and there. Gemini don't like having to do a deep and meaningful and prefer light and superficial dealings with people, that's why the service industry if full of them. Restless, procrastinating and indecisive.

I have mercury conj S Node (opp N Node) in taurus in 4th but also conj Asc/MC midpoint and retrograde (went direct age 19). N Node in 10th must be something that is intense (scorpio) analytical, deep, transformational. The mark of counsellor, therapist and/or to become known for ferretting out hidden demons :biggrin: I don't feel held back or that this aspect is problematic.

Martin Schulman has a book on karma and Nodes.

There is a 'plethora' of information on AW, espec in the 'stickys' at the top of every forum, our Education forum and Recommendations forum to. Plus we have a good search feature, bit like google using keywords --

Some people dont even use a square with nodes, just the conjunction. What orb is it. Only 3 degrees at most with Mercury. Can you post a chart so we can see where it is. It is dealing with communications but that is all we can say at the moment. I dont believe in good and bad, just challenging and from which we learn and grow, and easy or flowing, that can hardly be noticed as it is not a lesson to be learned but can be used with ease.

Hi Claire. I received an e-mail the other day that said that there were a few posts on this thread. I thought, wow I haven't been on there in a lonnnggg time. lol. I had some trouble getting on here, because well naturally I didn't have a password. It's taken a few days to get that all sorted out, as the system wouldn't get back to me with any information with how to log on. Anyhow, well I was looking at some of the older posts I wrote, and at the time (a couple years ago) I had posted my birth chart on here. Well that link appears to go to somebody else's chart now, certainly not mine.

Here is the link to my chart. [I've included all of the asteroids.] http://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cg...gif&res=100&va=&cid=40nfileM8iX04-u1221656131

I just wanted to say thanks for showing interest in it. I also wanted to thank everyone else who has responded to this thread.

Notice how when I was born It was during a time of ALOT of retrogrades, and well I believe I was born with a difficult birth chart. Similar to how I believe the famous writer Earnest Hemingway was born with a difficult birth chart.

Interesting! I've got that S.Node/Neptune conjunction in the 12th. Definitely some sort of spiritual attachment to it, I'd imagine. I also never knew that Gemini could be light and superficial when dealing with communication. Is that the typical Gemini communication style? YES VERY MUCH SO I tend to be a very deep communicator, cutting to the chase, leaving no stone unturned, etc. I think that's due to my Mercury in Virgo 8th House placement,(EXACTLY) which trines my Capricorn ascendant. So perhaps I have to do more communicating like that in a Gemini-style...just "getting the word out there" to as many people as possible, regardless of the consequences. Maybe that's the Gemini north node meaning as it relates to my particular birth chart/destiny. To my best gut instincts, I think the academic world is no finer place to cultivate my Geminisian destiny.

Virgo and Scorpio in my book are THE most analytical signs going but Virgo tends to over analayse things and churns things over and over. Do you have this trait? When you are ill, stressed or upset does it affect your stomach? typical virgo traits again --

Hi Claire. I received an e-mail the other day that said that there were a few posts on this thread. I thought, wow I haven't been on there in a lonnnggg time. lol. I had some trouble getting on here, because well naturally I didn't have a password. It's taken a few days to get that all sorted out, as the system wouldn't get back to me with any information with how to log on. Anyhow, well I was looking at some of the older posts I wrote, and at the time (a couple years ago) I had posted my birth chart on here. Well that link appears to go to somebody else's chart now, certainly not mine.

Here is the link to my chart. [I've included all of the asteroids.] http://www.astro.com/cgi/showgif.cg...gif&res=100&va=&cid=40nfileM8iX04-u1221656131

I just wanted to say thanks for showing interest in it. I also wanted to thank everyone else who has responded to this thread.

Notice how when I was born It was during a time of ALOT of retrogrades, and well I believe I was born with a difficult birth chart. Similar to how I believe the famous writer Earnest Hemingway was born with a difficult birth chart.
I have just looked for your chart and it's really not a good idea to post your link to your personal account as anyone could go in and mess about!

In actual fact you only have mercury retrograde and this makes for a rather analytical mind where communications are deeply thought about before they come out. If you look in an online ephemerise, day for a year to see when mercury went direct (what age?) I'm sure you would see that you 'came out of yourself' around then. I have this and it went direct for me age 19 and it is very niceable :cool:

There is nothing difficult or unique about your chart, why do you think this? In fact Mercury does't even square your Nodes!!

astro.com has a free 'personal portrait' interpretation of a natal chart in the free horoscope section, plus a six month free transit report in 'short report'
What Astrology Can and Can Not Do
http://www.ofspirit.com/susanmiller1.htm
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.html

I have just looked for your chart and it's really not a good idea to post your link to your personal account as anyone could go in and mess about!

In actual fact you only have mercury retrograde and this makes for a rather analytical mind where communications are deeply thought about before they come out. If you look in an online ephemerise, day for a year to see when mercury went direct (what age?) I'm sure you would see that you 'came out of yourself' around then. I have this and it went direct for me age 19 and it is very niceable :cool:

There is nothing difficult or unique about your chart, why do you think this? In fact Mercury does't even square your Nodes!!

astro.com has a free 'personal portrait' interpretation of a natal chart in the free horoscope section, plus a six month free transit report in 'short report'
What Astrology Can and Can Not Do
http://www.ofspirit.com/susanmiller1.htm
http://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.htmlhttp://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.htmlhttp://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.htmlhttp://www.cafeastrology.com/articles/whatastrologycandoforyou.html

Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. THAT isn't my birthchart. That leads to the same WRONG birthchart that the link that I posted 2 years ago does, (if you scroll up a little bit you'll see what I mean.) That link leads to someone else's birthchart. I'm not an Aries. I have no idea why the link to my birthchart keeps going to that chart. That is screwy. Furthermore I meant it when I said I ain't been on here in forever.. I forgot all about this forum. And yes I have 6 retrogrades. I've been into astrology for 4 years (no, i'm not competing with you) but that is certainly long enough to know what i am talking about. I was trying to respond to Claire as she showed interest in seeing my chart. K so now I have no idea what to post to show my chart, because it keeps leading everyone to the wrong chart. I'm a double Leo hence the name; not an Aquarius rising with an Aries sun!

Here is a much better link to my birthchart from cafeastrology. :)

http://astro.cafeastrology.com/cgi-...Mount+Lebanon,+PA+(42),+United+States&lang=en

Hmmm, sounds like somebody hacked into your account!

mmm, no I've never noticed any weird activity on my account on that site, so not too sure about that one either..I don't believe anyone has "hacked" into my account. That site just gives different links to each of those chart windows every time, I take it.