Strong Saturn in Chart - A good thing?

water_air

I recently had an astrologer tell me that Saturn was the strongest planet in my natal chart.

My Saturn is in Gemini and in the 7th house. I also have Venus and Moon in Gemini and Saturn is conjunct to both. Finding the right partner has always been of paramount importance but I never been succesful because an intense fear of rejection has led me to inaction. I used to attribute this to my Sun in Cancer, but I'm thinking that it may be that Saturn is holding things back though the conjuctions in the 7th.

Any thoughts on how to interpret this placement of Saturn?

Many thanks.

Arian Maverick

Yes, posting your natal chart would help me as well; I understand that Saturn is strong in an angular house, yet Saturn is neither exalted in Gemini or the ruler of this sign, although it is possible that Saturn is in its triplicity if you were born during the day (i.e. if the Sun is above the Ascendant-Descendant axis, or in the seventh house through the twelfth house); Saturn could possibly be in its term as well, if it occupies 21 Gemini 00" through 24 Gemini 59".

We need to know the exact degree of your natal Saturn to determine this, though, and it would be helpful to know the positions of your other planets as a means of comparison.

Arian Maverick

P.S. Saturn is strong in my natal chart as well; I consider it to be the Lord of the Geniture since it is angular in the tenth house and in the sign of its rulership, Capricorn. I too have been debating for a while whether it is "a good thing" to have Saturn so strongly placed in my chart because as you know, Saturn is a planet of limitation; however, it is also a planet of patience and perseverance. My opinion is that it is dependent upon the aspects Saturn receives as well as any benefic or malefic fixed stars it may be conjunct, although my afflicted tenth house Saturn has bestowed me with gifts as well as burdens. I don't think that any planetary placement is inherently good or bad because even harmonious aspects like the trine and sextile can have such adverse affects as laziness if there is no dynamic aspect to kick the planet's energy into gear.

Last edited:

Das

Ah a string after my heart. *S*

Yes from the sounds of it, it does seem as though lessons of connection have been handed to you. Without seeing your chart i could not give an opinion on your strongest planet but Saturn is at his greatest in the seventh. At least in the sense of application of Saturn to life. The conjunctions to the moon and venus are, i suspect contributing to your reticence.

Consider that Saturn sensitises what he touches, and demands that things are "perfect" and that we use venus and the moon to connect with others, its no wonder you have difficulty. I wonder if it is late and pluto is opposing the alignment. Venus Moon Saturn in Gemini, 7th - therefore is indicative of a person who, in terms of relationships takes all interactions very seriously, and yearns for a strong connection of the mind in order to remove the fear of intimacy.

Do not think, however that Saturn is all bad, *S* its presence in your 7th also grants great loyalty, longevity and wisdom to those whom you "share" yourself with, hence his elevating the vibration of the house (exaltation).

Just a quick two pence worth *S*

water_air

I have uploaded a copy of my chart details - I feel a bit narcissistic! But I really appreaciate the insight - this has been bothering me for some time.

Many thanks again!

Attachments

• chart_m.doc
    62 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Moulin

anyone got an aspirin pls? :D

Water_air
is it possible to actually post your chart - i'm sorry but l can't read this, it's doing my head in :eek:
Sorry!

If it helps, i have saturn conjunct NN, venus and moon so l kinda know where you are coming from here ;)

Arian Maverick

The chart included in the Microsoft Word document is a bit difficult to read, but the information about each planet's sign and exact degree may be useful to determine if Saturn is really the strongest planet in your chart.

Let's first examine the Sun: Cancer 16°44'24

• Triplicity: Mars
  • Term: Mercury
  • Face: Mercury
  • In the succedent eighth house

Moon: Gemini 20°19'42

• Triplicity: Saturn
  • Term: Jupiter
  • Face: Mars
  • In the angular seventh house

Mercury: Leo 13°01'23

• Triplicity: Sun
  • Term: Mercury
  • Face: Jupiter
  • In the cadent ninth house

So Mercury seems to be the only planet so far that's in its own term, yet it's not very strong in a cadent house.

Venus: Gemini 18°13'20

• Term: Jupiter
  • Angular seventh house
  • Stationary (direct)

Mars Leo 6°26'47

• Triplicity: Sun
  • Term: Saturn
  • Face: Saturn
  • Cadent ninth house

Jupiter: Capricorn 1°41'40
  • Jupiter in its fall
  • Retrograde
  • Triplicity: Venus
  • Term: Venus
  • Face: Jupiter
  • In succedent second house

Jupiter is in its own face, but I don't think this is nearly enough to make up for Jupiter being in the sign of its fall and retrograde...

Saturn: Gemini 14°47'52

• Term: Venus
  • In angular seventh house

Saturn is in its own triplicity.

You seem to be correct that Saturn is the strongest planet in your natal chart using essential dignities, yet some astrologers also like to consider how many aspects a planet makes to determine its power, as well as to what planets this planet aspects.

The outer planets are not listed in Ptolemy's Table of Essential Dignities, which I have been using to determine this information; therefore, I'm not going to include these planets here.

Arian Maverick

P.S. Although Saturn has accidental dignity in the angular seventh house, so do Venus and the Moon, which Saturn is conjunct; the Moon does not have any special kind of essential dignity that I can see, but keep in mind that it is "leading" the planets in your Gemini and stellium and thus, may be considered by some astrologers to have strength. Venus is also unusual in that it is stationary about to turn direct; I've read that stationary planets can be regarded as having some extra strength, too, so the process of determining the strongest planet in your natal chart is not quite as clear-cut as it may seem.

I also want to note that although Saturn has accidental dignity in the seventh house and is in its own triplicity, this is not quite as strong an influence as if Saturn were in the sign of its rulership (Capricorn or Aquarius) or its exaltation (Libra).

Last edited:

Look, I'm going to be a pain in the bottom and say that your saturn is powerful on the basis of its interactions with other planets (as AM has mentioned in her post), esp venus and moon which are very important in relationships. Saturn here would have a constricting effect on these planets, if at the minimum, it makes you very sober when it comes to relationships and maybe a bit shy as you say.

I personally don't use dignities. My understanding is that that's old astrology that is no longer used. I'm not saying its useless though.

My understanding is also that Saturn is not essentially dignified because it is not within 5 degrees of your DC (or any axis) but may have prominence of some sort as it is in an angular house. And as mentioned, saturn in gemini is neither in rulership nor exaltation. This however has all been mentioned.

astrobhadauria

Arian Maverick said:
I don't think that any planetary placement is inherently good or bad because even harmonious aspects like the trine and sextile can have such adverse affects as laziness if there is no dynamic aspect to kick the planet's energy into gear.

Dear,
A round hard Stone in the water,it is the defination of this Saturn-Moon-and Mercury,actual possitions of Mercury in third house,and in the sixth house,these are parmanent houses of Mercury,the person who has Saturn in the seventh with Mercury,that person always speaks hard voice,and this effect always fearfull for the making good relations with life mate.The house of Saturn in the 2nd and 3rd always showing the limit of money and power,also the expressios of laziness.You are 100% right by the words.

I personally don't use dignities. My understanding is that that's old astrology that is no longer used. I'm not saying its useless though.

:(:(:( what a shame!....old astrology is the foundation of modern astrology.....i think the dignites are very valid.....very very valid......we should not be getting rid of the basis of astrology at all......:(:(:(

Looking to Jupiter said:
:(:(:( what a shame!....old astrology is the foundation of modern astrology.....i think the dignites are very valid.....very very valid......we should not be getting rid of the basis of astrology at all......:(:(:(

Oh, I don't advocate getting rid of it, I just don't pay any attention to it and probably not enough either. I'd like to see if in operation so any examples of it would be good to see!

helen1

ive found calling [phone number deleted so this does not look like an astrology advertisement - Moderator] for a personal horoscope by russell grant helps me they are daily and they really help set me up for the day

Last edited by a moderator:
I have Saturn strong in chart conjunct my Asc in Virgo, it can take over the natural chart ruler of Mercury. I have Sun opposed Saturn and in relationship to my father, I was the Saturn person my father played Apollo more and was fun to be around but I used to tell him to be serious and stop messing around. I gave my father the lectures :D I associated stronger with Saturn as the fire element is not strong in my chart and I have a Virgo (earth ASC) with Venus in earth ruling my earth M.C.

I can appear very Saturn in body language. I wouldn't say having Saturn strong is a particularly good thing or bad thing. I wouldn't say having Venus strong or Jupiter (the benefits in the olden days) is particularly good or bad either. Mastering Saturn's' sign/house helps. Saturn is the planet of restrictions, limitations, hard lessons learned etc.. but with hard work, patience and perseverance Saturn can bring you long lasting achievements.

I personally don't overuse the planets in dignity, fall etc my self, as I just see planets as expressing though signs. Planets can work well through certain signs but can be overemphasised in that sign. Always debatable how much significance to give planets in fall, dignity.

NeptuneAscendant

A strong Saturn can be a good thing and a bad thing. On the good side, you are disciplined, serious, goal-oriented, mature, and wise. On the bad side, you are overly-serious, have bad luck (Saturn is the Greater Malefic), are narrow-minded, cynical, and pessimistic.

Saturn is also the strongest planet in my chart. It is my chart's ruler, it's in mutual reception with Uranus and it's in my first house.

Rasalhague

My Saturn is part of the Stellium I have in 8 (Moon, Jup and maybe you would count Venus). I'm also a Cap asc. So I'd say I have a good amount of Saturn;)

What I used to notice is that I can only have fun when the conditions are exactly right. I can be very grumpy when it's not. I'm not a great person to have around when that's the case.

lovemole

...On the topic of saturn....is it render less malefic if conjunct sun and jupiter, or does that just make you complacent???

I've got a strong saturn to, seems to be completely double edged, with your gemini/venus/saturn in 7th may mean issues around stability and changability and what's best, or maybe just to realise that is an issue? If with moon/sun/pluto in hard aspect needs addressing more???

Not an expert, but seems you're on it!

x