Hippies

Rebel Uranian

Just wondering, what on a chart would indicate being a hippie? Would it be Neptune since hippies do drugs or Uranus since hippies are nonconformist or what would it be?

While we're at it, not nearly as important, but what would indicate an avant-garde artist? Especially the ones who make stuff seemingly for the purpose of people not being able to understand it until they're "in" and studied it a lot?

Oh, and as a paradox, what would indicate someone who is able to stop people from having the remote possibility of reading their chart, and is not interested in astrology themselves?

Mostly focus on hippies, as they're the most important here and what we're mostly lacking in nowadays.

Lin

Although I prefer not showing my chart, I will say that I have always thought of myself as unconventional....and since I am of the "hippie" generation, I often think of myself as an aging hippie.
HOwever: a big difference between me and the full blown hippie (lol) is that my drug use was confined to weed.

Uranus is VERY active in my chart: angular, trine Neptune, sextile my Pluto & my Sun and square my Mars. Also a couple of quintiles from Uranus. Uranus rules my 4th house and therefore being a bit eccentric and unconventional is part of my authentic identity. I am a professional astrologer, tho it was my 3rd and final profession, not my first.
I am the black sheep in my family and usually follow my own rules, when possible.

I really do believe in "live and let live" and have very few prejudices.

I never chased money and "things" for their own sake. In fact, I don't trust people who have more money than they can spend....unless they are philanthropists.

I think there IS such a thing as being too rich and too thin.

Gardening plays a big part in my life.

I believe in "free love" BUT unfortunately THAT time is gone....probably forever.
It WAS fun while it lasted.

"Almost Cut My Hair".....but didn't.
Music: can't live without it.

JEANS.

LIN

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

I don't see why anyone would want more money than they could spend. I mean, sometimes you need to have a lot because you need to spend a lot (mostly patents and art are what I can think of off the top of my head) but otherwise it just turns into clutter. I have Pisces in empty 2nd, so of course I think that... All the "money-loving" signs or whatever on my chart are actually aspecting Uranus.

Anyone else have any opinions or facts? Either is useful.

lazarusx

I think aspects between the Sun and Neptune may play a role (spirituality,escapism,substance use) and possibly Uranus (anti-establishment,revolution,eccentric).

I can only speak for myself, i have hard aspects from both these planets to my Sun.. i was drawn towards offbeat folk in my late teenage years, mainly small communities of people who still believed and lived a hippie-esque lifestyle. I became very drawn into psychedelic drugs and the culture itself.. i felt like there was something here i needed to experience and learn from and for a couple of years i let it all unfold.

It's intriguing to me your use of the word avant-garde, because it's only recently that i've been leaning more towards this leading edge of work in relation to consciousness and integral spirituality; Alex Grey is definitely an artist i see representing this in his art.

I don't see why anyone would want more money than they could spend. I mean, sometimes you need to have a lot because you need to spend a lot (mostly patents and art are what I can think of off the top of my head) but otherwise it just turns into clutter

I've been contemplating this notion for some time now, for the last 7 months i've worked long hours in order to save enough money to travel abroad for a year or two.. and during this time i realized how money can become an obsession, a means to virtually 'no-end' but accumulation.. it lose's its value of enriching the person's life and merely becomes a backdrop, there seems to be a major imbalance between work and leisure amongst society and it seems to be fueled by our unending desire to fill our own void.

chispas

I initially objected to this post because of the op’s assumptions, which I find prejudicial and judgmental - simply because he did not take the time to research or define the word “hippie.” Had he done, so he would have learned that you cannot label or define millions of people by astrological placements in a chart.
His first assumption is that hippies use drugs. How do you know that all hippies use drugs? Alcohol is a drug. Does this mean that everyone who drinks alcohol is a hippie?
My Neptune is in the eight house. Does this mean everyone in the world who has an eighth house Neptune uses drugs or is a hippie? My Uranus is in the fourth house. Does this mean that everyone who has a fourth house Uranus is a hippie or non-conformist? Frank Lloyd Wright was an architectural non-conformist. Does that make him a hippie? [deleted attacking comment - Moderator]

Here is a definition of the word "hippie."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippie

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveGus

I don't usually use Uranus or Pluto in my personal charts; not that they're not important, but I think that any influences they have are probably world and generational ones rather than day to day ones. We don't have 2000 years worth of data and experience, and any interpretations of them are going to be fairly sketchy.

But my recollection is that there were a whole series of Uranus/Pluto conjunctions, in Virgo, a mutable sign of Mercury, during the middle of the 1960s. There were a series of peaks, as the planets approached and then retrograded over each other.

Last edited:

piercethevale

Just wondering, what on a chart would indicate being a hippie? Would it be Neptune since hippies do drugs or Uranus since hippies are nonconformist or what would it be?

While we're at it, not nearly as important, but what would indicate an avant-garde artist? Especially the ones who make stuff seemingly for the purpose of people not being able to understand it until they're "in" and studied it a lot?

Oh, and as a paradox, what would indicate someone who is able to stop people from having the remote possibility of reading their chart, and is not interested in astrology themselves?

Mostly focus on hippies, as they're the most important here and what we're mostly lacking in nowadays.

It was the combination of Neptune in Libra and Uranus in Cancer that really made the core belief...
Neptune in Libra is about the Spirit of THE LAW rather than the letter of the law...and Uranus in Cancer ...which is a lot to do with freedom from restrictions...Uranus in Gemini set the beat...sort of...and Uranus in Leo is when all the sexual mores came tumbling down...but overall I'd give it to the Uranus in Cancer crowd...[North Node in Aquarius at this time too...{me}...which contributed a great deal]...

[the birth chart of an 'Old Hippie' ]

Attachments

• astro_2gw_03_dave_m.77790.6371.jpg
    astro_2gw_03_dave_m.77790.6371.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 42

piercethevale

...and for added evidence...notice that while Uranus was transiting Leo...most of the girlie mags in the US were taking off...[literally...wow, that was a Freudian slip/statement if ever I uttered one] With Uranus in Cancer came a lot of psychic sensitivity...and also diff. feelings about what 'Home and Family' is...so a lot of communal living came out of this group...attitudes of extended families..'the Family Dog [a S.F. Bay area communal group that handled all the concert action before Bill Graham came along...is an example...'The Farm' in Tennessee.."The Hog Farm"...of Wavy Gravy/Ken Keysey fame...Deadheads...a family if ever there was one...Morningstar Commune in Medocino...Ananda in Nevada Co. Calif...]
Also Neptune in Libra in its 'negative' influence produced the psychedelic culture...the drug influences..
Pluto in Leo has to be noted too... exalted in Leo...it empowered these people to believe in their own power as a group...themselves...their beliefs...their generation

piercethevale

I'm still wondering about their astrology of not bathing...
8 ~ P

What..it took you two days to think of that?...yeah, I noticed you lingering with a reply yesterday...and then you didn't post...if all you wanted to do was say something negative...congrats...you win a noprize

May the bluebird of happiness chit on your hat today.

MaeMae

Banned
Not a fan of Uranian humour, eh?
How does one "notice" one's "lingering?" Ewww.
My brother was a hippie from his teenage years on. I had an entire childhood filled with hippie travails and great affection for the culture. But I can honestly say , a lot of them seldomed bathed. Skinny dipppin at the river didn't cut it. I had several friends in college at Berkeley who grew up on "The Farm" in Tennessee. They tought me to garden, make granola and yogurt. I love them dearly for it. But even a couple of them had hygiene issues. Just my experience...just sayin'.
Lighten Up, Oh Enlightened One...
~says the bluebird of sassiness

Lin

Hippie Dave,
As an astrologer I'm always curious about people with Pluto on the MC...esp. very closely. Sorry to change the subject but wouldyou mind telling us what your career turned out to be?
LIN

piercethevale

so now that you know where I'm coming from...I deleted those posts...don't make me put them back up. [and 12th night should do the same]...this is supposed to be a positive endeavor..Mae Mae...let's try to keep that decorum among ourselves.

piercethevale

Hippie Dave,
As an astrologer I'm always curious about people with Pluto on the MC...esp. very closely. Sorry to change the subject but wouldyou mind telling us what your career turned out to be?
LIN
I'm through with this thread...I've got plenty on that else where in the forum. Good Morning!
[ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS5uz388tnw&feature=related "...some people into Jesus, other people into Zen...I'm just into everyday...I don't hide from where I've been...]
ps...as to where I turn for the info you requested and is also pretty much the original source of my knowledge on these particular aspects is Sakoian and Ackers "Astrologers Handbook"...it delves into the metaphysical and spiritual aspects of Astrology better than any other I ever ran across..those two really knew their business. IMHO...of course [I've been using it as my #1 since 1984]

Last edited:

Rebel Uranian

Whoever thinks I should read more about hippies (not only the poster of the link):

"hippie subculture was originally a youth movement that arose in the United States during the mid-1960s and spread to other countries around the world. The etymology of the term 'hippie' is from hipster, and was initially used to describe beatniks who had moved into San Francisco's Haight-Ashbury district. Both the words "hip" and "hep" came from African American culture and denote "awareness".[1] The early hippies inherited the countercultural values of the Beat Generation, created their own communities, listened to psychedelic rock, embraced the sexual revolution, and used drugs such as cannabis, LSD and magic mushrooms to explore altered states of consciousness."

How does that counteract what I said?

Also, I'm sorry if I sounded prejudiced. I posted this thread because I'm interested in countercultures, in this case the hippie counterculture, not because I'm prejudiced. I'm not saying anyone who is a nonconformist or uses drugs is a hippie, but if you know any hippies who are both conformists and don't use drugs, please tell me.

I think this one guy I know who was an indie artist dude (not a hippie) and wrote experimental music and designed video games and movies and cartoons in his free time probably had the Neptune-Uranus conjunction aspecting his Sun, but I don't know his exact birthyear, much less the date. Speculations are generally useless though :/

Lin

I read something in one of the posts that seemed to imply that the "hippie" is defined in much the same way as the "Bohemian" and the "Beatnik" in previous decades.

I just want to point out there there are vast differences among them.

The Bohemians were primarily interested in Art and Literature and the "new" science of "psychiatry."
The Beatniks were primarily interested in Music (Jazz) and freeform poetry and then art and literature.

These 2 groups liked to congregate,but they were very individualistic.

The "hippie" was primarily interested in "experience", freedom from personal authority figures, drugs - esp. consciousness altering ones.....being "together" in a large group was very important....and music.

For hippies, music was the "soundtrack" not the subject.

But the one thing they all had in common was reefer.
LOL
LIN

piercethevale

I read something in one of the posts that seemed to imply that the "hippie" is defined in much the same way as the "Bohemian" and the "Beatnik" in previous decades.

I just want to point out there there are vast differences among them.

The Bohemians were primarily interested in Art and Literature and the "new" science of "psychiatry."
The Beatniks were primarily interested in Music (Jazz) and freeform poetry and then art and literature.

These 2 groups liked to congregate,but they were very individualistic.

The "hippie" was primarily interested in "experience", freedom from personal authority figures, drugs - esp. consciousness altering ones.....being "together" in a large group was very important....and music.

For hippies, music was the "soundtrack" not the subject.

But the one thing they all had in common was reefer.
LOL
LIN

. I didn't partake of the herb at first...as I was something of a jock [I was on the Varsity Tennis team in H.S. and college from 1967 to 1975...worked out with weights 30 to 40 hrs. a week from 1971 to 1984...rode bicycle 50 to 150 miles every weekend] I was concerned about my lungs. I did really enjoy my room mates in college having folks over. Back then the reefer came out and everyone got in a circle...sitting on the floor. some put some music on another would use the album cover to clean the weed on and drag the the weed to the lip of the cover as it was titled so as to let the seeds roll out...then hand roll some doobies and they would be passed around the circle. It was a ritual...truly.
I loved the vibe, everyone getting together in a circle like it used to be, great music playing on vinyl [such a more mellow sound to the music] and the smell of the grass burning. Then one day someone made some brownies...and I thought...well, it's not smoking it...so why not?

Shawn Phillips said it best [IMHO] "...and the etiquette of Grass will have to last and we'll save it for the very last prize, and the utilization will make a unified nation...we may see it with our very own eyes...our very own eyes..."

I'm seeing it now in Calif. [ps. I like to use Shawn's quote and change 'utilization' to legalization..] Shawn Phillips has been described as: A Hippie's Hippie, Diogenes with a guitar...etc.

The penultimate Hippie song: Shawn Phillips - "Screamer For Phlyses"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsDfhbAyh5k

Lin

" It was a ritual...truly." lol....very true.
But ultimately, the experience is subjective.
Heard the song....very "herb" friendly.
I can't believe I am not familiar with his music. Perhaps he didn't tour in the northeast.....
I just don't know why i don't know his music.
It's a puzzler....I liked that song a lot and will follow up....
L

Last edited:

piercethevale

" It was a ritual...truly." lol....very true.
But ultimately, the experience is subjective.
Heard the song....very "herb" friendly.
I can't believe I am not familiar with his music. Perhaps he didn't tour in the northeast.....
I just don't know why i don't know his music.
It's a puzzler....I liked that song a lot and will follow up....
L
I recommend everything you can find of his...
btw...you're not from Huntington are you?

Hippie Johnny:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_exvKnrK6g

Last edited: