Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > Anything Else... > Chat

Chat For posts that don't have to do with astrological chart interpretation, but they're still important to you. Gossip, show off, hot topic, spiritual thoughts, Sun sign astrological discussions, chit chat: come in and share!

Unread 05-28-2019, 01:20 AM

Re: Ukpoohbear thread appreciation!

I see .

Unread 05-28-2019, 01:40 AM

Prayer beads.....some have 59, some have 108......

Hi UKpoohbear! I am getting to know you, and like you.....good luck with your studies!
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist View Post
I'm not asking about the number's significance, linkages with esoteric principles or power, but the origin of such a convention/meme. If none of you know, it's okay to admit that you don't.
CT, there seems to be lots of reasons for 108 that has been worked into a lot of rituals and religious practices and theories but where it seems to come from is this:

The diameter of the Sun multiplied by 108 is the distance from the Sun and Earth, and likewise the diameter of the Moon multiplied by 108 is the distance from the Moon and Earth.

https://www.esamskriti.com/e/Spirituality/Mantras-ad-Jap/Astrophysics-And-Why-Mantras-Are-Repeated-108-Times-1.aspx
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:56 AM

Also, mantras were invented to ward of negative planetary influences, since one who was victim to the movements of the moon was deemed to be a lunatic. ďThere are 9 planets and 12 constellations so it can bring 108 possible kind of changes.Ē taken from a Quora answer.

Mantras are simply vibrations associated with the movements of breath.

Taken from a different answer - ď you donít have to rep 108 xís but 108 is a completion, smaller completions are 9,27,54. Intent is more important than the amount so 9 would be best as long as said with the best intent.Ē
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opal View Post
Prayer beads.....some have 59, some have 108......

Hi UKpoohbear! I am getting to know you, and like you.....good luck with your studies!
Thank you Opal! Itís nice to get to know you too I know this thread was made as a joke but itís all going to my head now, I feel famous! Haha

During my research, I learnt that prayer beads are used to count the number you are on, so I really want prayer beads now to start working up to 108!

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 05-28-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:35 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:37 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82p-D...eature=related Hippocrates Let food be your medicine: let medicine be your food. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvz9uSK3zXo Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead Tom Stoppard http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KchhSIVwMdY Every exit is an entrance to somewhere else. VETTIUS VALENS FREE http://www.csus.edu/indiv/r/rileymt/...s%20entire.pdf
Unread 05-28-2019, 01:19 PM

Good information, Ukpooh. Thanks for digging.
Unread 05-28-2019, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukpoohbear View Post
I just saw this now lol

Yes, yes that was me. I was hungry and wanted you to cook me something, whatís wrong with that??
I'm sorry I'm so late with the spaghetti.... I added in some zucchini and caramelized the onions. Don't be hungry no more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini888 View Post
@CT a bit off-topic...
Pppptttthhhhph!

UK is magnanimous. She contains all topics, silly goose!

(Nice book recommendations... I can only read about astrology online anymore, unless I go clandestine with shipping or in bookstores. I live with family members that would bring on the hate if they saw me studying astrology, and I don't want to work that hard to keep it a secret from them. Also the reason why I don't work as a bikini barista. Puritans. They everywhere. )
The Following User Says Thank You to Flapjacks For This Useful Post:
Gemini888 (05-30-2019)
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Uk, why you're ignoring the mantras that I suggested for you?
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapjacks View Post
I'm sorry I'm so late with the spaghetti.... I added in some zucchini and caramelized the onions. Don't be hungry no more...
Poohbear always hungry. You sound like a good cook that stuff sounds yummmy!! Isnít it funny how there are different words for some vegetable with uk and USA English? Zucchini are called courgettes here. Theyíre a bit bland and tasteless but actually necessary in a vegetable stew type thing! Yams are called sweet potatoes here. Canít remember what else but thereís loads more.

Quote:
Pppptttthhhhph!

UK is magnanimous. She contains all topics, silly goose!
Magnanimous is now my middle name. Itís not but Iíve become practically famous so I feel like Iím almost gonna spontaneously combust and turn into a Leo sun moon and asc conjunct Regulus!! Iím also starting to feel the effects of fame in my non-online life, Iím disappointed Iím not being treated similarly, but with my new birth chart imma start demanding I be treated like Kanye West and Donald Trumps love child who have ancestral link to Queen Sheba / Cleopatra and the Royal family.

This could be why life has kicked my *** because I simply canít handle power, like Dumbledore realised.

Quote:
Nice book recommendations... I can only read about astrology online anymore, unless I go clandestine with shipping or in bookstores. I live with family members that would bring on the hate if they saw me studying astrology, and I don't want to work that hard to keep it a secret from them. Also the reason why I don't work as a bikini barista. Puritans. They everywhere. )
I have ancestral links to Jesus if that helps? After publishing my 108th book on the art of negotiating,I feel qualified to tell you that if you go in higher than planned then you can accept what you wanted originally during the bartering period. So, like, make extra sexual noises in your bedroom but when they come in they see you holding an astrology book where you proceed to tell them you have fallen in love with an inanimate object then go jokes Iím just studying astrology..?

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 05-28-2019 at 10:59 PM.
Unread 05-28-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunConjunctUranus View Post
Uk, why you're ignoring the mantras that I suggested for you?
But you want to make me do mantras to make me go insane which Iím sure is against forum rules?? I would need to hear an audio of mantra so I can have correct pronunciation and also to know the meaning in case itís a curse lol

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 05-28-2019 at 10:58 PM.
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:12 PM

Quote:
But you want to make me do mantras to make me go insane which Iím sure is against forum rules?? I would need to hear an audio of mantra so I can have correct pronunciation and also to know the meaning in case itís a curse lol
That's why you shouldn't do curse mantra ever again. Because Im witnessing on my own eyes, it's not good. It's really shameful that you tried this before. So don't do it again, my friend.

Last edited by SunConjunctUranus; 05-28-2019 at 11:14 PM.
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:26 PM

Quote:
That's why you shouldn't do curse mantra ever again. Because Im witnessing on my own eyes, it's not good. It's really shameful that you tried this before. So don't do it again, my friend.
What do your mantras mean? I was very curious.
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:33 PM

Quote:
What do your mantras mean? I was very curious.
That's not mine, that was from Arabian Medieval astrologers, named Ghayat Al-Hakim. As for the meaning, idk but it's not good for you.
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
That's not mine, that was from Arabian Medieval astrologers, named Ghayat Al-Hakim. As for the meaning, idk but it's not good for you.
Then you are trying to curse me, on my appreciation thread no less! Traitor!!!!
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Then you are trying to curse me, on my appreciation thread no less! Traitor!!!!
No, chill out. There is one "white" mantra (white means good) I would suggest for you. Feasting for 1 month, only drink water allowed, and repeatedly said

"Niscaya barata kula maha panca bakti sang Surya maha kuasa"

Repeat the mantra every morning at 7 pm for 30 times. The benfits are good for your health, and your mind become sharper.

Last edited by SunConjunctUranus; 05-28-2019 at 11:49 PM.
Unread 05-28-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
No, chill out. There is one "white" mantra (white means good) I would suggest for you. Feasting for 1 month, only drink water allowed, and repeatedly said

"Niscaya barata kula maha panca bakti sang Surya maha kuasa"

Repeat the mantra every morning at 7 pm for 30 times. The benfits are good for your health, and your mind become sharper.
Whatís it mean tho? Iím not fasting for a month! And why 7pm and why 30 xís? Rudy is still trying to curse.
Unread 05-29-2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Whatís it mean tho? Iím not fasting for a month! And why 7pm and why 30 xís? Rudy is still trying to curse.
It means, an ultimate mantra for seeking help from the Almight Lord Sun aka Surya. Because Sun's apparent brightness is strong at 7 pm, 30 times because you promised to the Lord for feasting in 30 days aka a month.
Unread 05-29-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
It means, an ultimate mantra for seeking help from the Almight Lord Sun aka Surya. Because Sun's apparent brightness is strong at 7 pm, 30 times because you promised to the Lord for feasting in 30 days aka a month.
I think itís dangerous to fast for 30 days. 16, 20, 30 hours eventually but 30 days?? You need some rice, bro.

OM nama shivaya OM
Unread 05-29-2019, 12:24 AM

Quote:
I think itís dangerous to fast for 30 days. 16, 20, 30 hours eventually but 30 days?? You need some rice, bro.

OM nama shivaya OM
Because you're full of sin, so you have to do it.
Unread 05-29-2019, 04:29 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
CT, there seems to be lots of reasons for 108 that has been worked into a lot of rituals and religious practices and theories but where it seems to come from is this:

The diameter of the Sun multiplied by 108 is the distance from the Sun and Earth, and likewise the diameter of the Moon multiplied by 108 is the distance from the Moon and Earth.

https://www.esamskriti.com/e/Spiritu...8-Times-1.aspx
Interesting. Maybe that's why there are 108 moves in long form tai chi. Even though to make it 108, you have to chop up some moves and consolidate others. I do know that long form tai chi has 108 moves because 108 is considered an auspicious number, but didn't know about that astronomical connection.

Quote:
Yams are called sweet potatoes here.
We have sweet potatoes in America too. Yams and sweet potatoes are both tubers, and they taste similar, but they're not exactly the same thing. Maybe what you're thinking of as a sweet potato is also what we call sweet potato. Or does UK English use the same word for both?

Quote:
Can’t remember what else but there’s loads more.
Eggplant/aubergine

I can't think of any other vegetables that have different names across the pond, but other food words come to mind. Like biscuit (your biscuit is our cookie, our biscuit is savory, not sweet), and chips/crisps/fries (your chips are our fries, aka french fries, our chips are your crisps).

Quote:
I think it’s dangerous to fast for 30 days. 16, 20, 30 hours eventually but 30 days??
What if you do it like a Ramadan fast, and eat at night?

But, SCU said feast, not fast. Feasting for a month sounds perfect for someone who's always hungry!
The Following User Says Thank You to Osamenor For This Useful Post:
JUPITERASC (05-29-2019)
Unread 05-29-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osamenor View Post
Interesting. Maybe that's why there are 108 moves in long form tai chi. Even though to make it 108, you have to chop up some moves and consolidate others. I do know that long form tai chi has 108 moves because 108 is considered an auspicious number, but didn't know about that astronomical connection.
Yeah itís pretty cool knowing the very first reason why 108 came about and Hinduism centres a lot of there practices around that. I read another explanation which I kinda like, which is 1 is Ying,0 is Yang and 8 is the circular kind of completion.

Quote:
We have sweet potatoes in America too. Yams and sweet potatoes are both tubers, and they taste similar, but they're not exactly the same thing. Maybe what you're thinking of as a sweet potato is also what we call sweet potato. Or does UK English use the same word for both?
Iím really not sure, I didnít know USA always had sweet potatoes, I just googled what Yams were because I see it in recipes all the time. I wonder what the difference is between yams and sweet potatoes in America. We definitely donít get yams here because itís not a word used.

Quote:
Eggplant/aubergine

I can't think of any other vegetables that have different names across the pond, but other food words come to mind. Like biscuit (your biscuit is our cookie, our biscuit is savory, not sweet), and chips/crisps/fries (your chips are our fries, aka french fries, our chips are your crisps).
Eggplant and Aubergine was the other vegetable I couldnít think of!

Itís funny because Iíve been to America once before with my family when I was about 12/13 and we went to a McDonaldís and asked for chips and were flabbergasted that McDonalds had no chips! Before we realised the translation mistake and asked for fries!

I donít think USA has baked beans either. Itís so popular over here we just refer to it as beans but when we were on holiday we missed eating them and asked the family we stayed with to get us beans and they were shocked we asked for them and we were shocked they came back with a tin of black beans...no idea what they were at that age.

Quote:
What if you do it like a Ramadan fast, and eat at night?

But, SCU said feast, not fast. Feasting for a month sounds perfect for someone who's always hungry!
Ok I think SCU is meaning fast because Iíve never heard of feasting for a month to be healthy unless itís correct. But SCU said he is trying to curse me Murder Iím sure is against forum rules

On a serious note tho the Ramadan thing is a good idea to incorporate. We eat too much food as humans.

Last edited by Ukpoohbear; 05-29-2019 at 03:46 PM.
Unread 05-29-2019, 03:40 PM

SCU, for your white mantra do I feast or fast? I will be doing neither I am sorry because I am about to start following the diet prescribed by Greek medicine and treating the melancholic humour. Have you studied it?

http://www.greekmedicine.net/Princip...ous_Humor.html
Unread 05-29-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
SCU, for your white mantra do I feast or fast? I will be doing neither I am sorry because I am about to start following the diet prescribed by Greek medicine and treating the melancholic humour. Have you studied it?

http://www.greekmedicine.net/Princip...ous_Humor.html
Sounds like Ayurveda, but maybe easier to implement, I mean you don't have to be a foodie!