A Discussion Thread About Racism in America

ynnest

Maybe there was originally one human race physically speaking that in the beginning of time travelled in secret water slides under the earth grounds to the different continents and then erased their memory of their one human origin, placed out skeletons of artificial monkeys and apes all over the world and then imprinted strings of dna from them in the human dna to make it seem like we were connected to primates originally and not the original human race that created the primates?

Does not at all sound like a conspiracy theory to me!

Y

aquarius7000

Should I start a similar campaign jumping from member to member asking them if they find Dirius’ campaign as harassment of a member (me in this case), mobbing against a member by approaching other members and systematically asking them - if they find my statement racist - like putting words in people’s mouths!!!

What is the dictionary definition of harassment, ridicule and mobbing??

Reaching out to member after member to get them to agree that a person is being racist - despite that he author of that statement has clarified their intent. What is the dictionary definition of people ‘ganging up’. This is a perfect example on this thread of racism!! Ridiculousl and abominable. That members even respond when clearly they can see what Dirius is working towards...

A real lowly, highly offensive, personally attacking and disgusting behaviour .

You're right Dirius, I have been silent about her statement. I did not want to agree with you because I disagreed with several statements you made. The statement she made was racist by the dictionary definition of racist - "a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race." There is really no getting around it. Thank you for being persistent.

Last edited:

david starling

On the contrary :smile:
The term “African American” has a tendency to create
a disposition for implicit bias
by making “Black” people seem recent immigrants.

“White” people are not called European Americans
but instead are called Americans of European descent.

and

using “White” instead of “European American”
is to identify
in such a way
as to put “White” people
in an elite catagory
inferring “Whites” are the original Americans.

I agree that "African-American" doesn't distinguish recent immigrants from those whose family-tree went through the hell known as "Slavery".
Neither does the appellation, "Black".

aquarius7000

Passiflora, let me begin by saying that I am very allergic to people treating others unfairly. More allergic to people misconstruing what people say, attack others to secure a win or popularity for themselves.

And, with the afore - I don't think that our Western World should at all find talking about differences uncomfortable. I understand absolutely though that it does. I mean think about it - how Europe - the West - actually thrived on creating differences for 100's of years. They used the divide and rule concept as colonists to create differences and keep the locals busy with that whilst they looted their wealth away. Of course it makes them uncomfortable. When is truth comfortable?!

In the West, we are just very good at shutting people up, and pushing problems that we created under the carpet - when they become known, all under the big farce of 'political correctness'. So yes, the West is very uncomfortable about it.

Anyway, I am done with this thread. Good day.

Last edited:

Dirius

The term would be witch-hunt.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witch-hunt#Figurative_use_of_the_term

Should I start a similar campaign jumping from member to member asking them if they find Dirius’ campaign as harassment of a member (me in this case), mobbing against a member by approaching other members and systematically asking them - if they find my statement racist - like putting words in people’s mouths!!!

Reaching out to member after member to get them to agree that a person is being racist - despite that he author of that statement has clarified their intent. What is the dictionary definition of people ‘ganging up’. This is a perfect example on this thread of racism!! Ridiculousl and abominable. That members even respond when clearly they can see what Dirius is working towards...

I'm sorry if you feel that way, not my intention to be honest, but I don't think there is anything wrong to ask other members about their position on your statement.

It is a political thread after all. I don't think you are a bad person - or a racist for the matter. I think your statement was. I also don't believe it is personal, given I refered to your statement, not to you as a person.

Dirius

I mean think about it - how Europe - the West - actually thrived on creating differences for 100's of years. They used the divide and rule concept as colonists to create differences and keep the locals busy with that whilst they looted their wealth away. Of course it makes them uncomfortable. When is truth comfortable?!

Like every other culture in the world, who has fought and conquered other nations for their land. This behaviour is not unique to Europe or the West - but somehow it is the only one that gets blamed.

Did you know that while Europe and most of its junior colonies abolished slavery by the mid 19th century - slavery was still prevalent in the rest of the world?

Iran had slavery in 1929.
Ethiopia had slavery until 1942.
Japan had slavery until 1945.

Most of these nations gave up on slavery because of the influence, either by diplomacy or force, from western powers who pressured them to abolish slavery

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

A good reason for using "African-American" instead of "Black".
On the contrary :smile:

and

is to identify
in such a way
as to put “White” people
in an elite catagory
I agree that "African-American"
doesn't distinguish recent immigrants
from those whose family-tree went through the hell known as "Slavery".
i.e.
"Whites" are “European American” recent immigrants :smile:

Inquisag

Actually, I began writing two retorts to Dirius' claim that the statement was racist and I could not finish and post them because I could not make a reasonable argument. I did not think your responses contradicted her claim. I think that any racist statements made in a thread about racism should be called out as such because the person making the statement may not have realized that it was racist.

I am fortunate in that I get called out on statements I didn't think were racist, but are, by my daughter before I say anything to someone besides her. I try to rid myself of unconscious bias I have against people, who don't look like me and who look like me, everyday. I prefer knowing if I have been misinformed or digested information incorrectly.

david starling

Actually, I began writing two retorts to Dirius' claim that the statement was racist and I could not finish and post them because I could not make a reasonable argument. I did not think your responses contradicted her claim. I think that any racist statements made in a thread about racism should be called out as such because the person making the statement may not have realized that it was racist.

I am fortunate in that I get called out on statements I didn't think were racist, but are, by my daughter before I say anything to someone besides her. I try to rid myself of unconscious bias I have against people, who don't look like me and who look like me, everyday. I prefer knowing if I have been misinformed or digested information incorrectly.

Admiring traits that happen to be ingrained in the culture of a particular race doesn't make one a racist.

The fact that Dirius admires things about the European culture which was developed mostly (not entirely), by the race known as "white", or "Caucasian", doesn't make him a racist. He just admires some of the traits that happen to be engrained in the European culture.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
aquarius7000, are you originally from India? In my experience only. India has a lot of divisions by geography, language, culture, custom, class, caste. So Indians are more used to talking about difference casually than people in most other countries. Americans and other westerners can find it uncomfortable. Definitely doesn’t make you racist.

Aren't there a lot of similarities between racist and casteist oppression? Like between "Untouchability" and Black Segregation?

''Despite its constitutional abolition in 1950, the practice of "untouchability"-the imposition of social disabilities on persons by reason of birth into a particular caste- remains very much a part of rural India. Representing over one-sixth of India's population-or some 160 million people-Dalits endure near complete social ostracization. "Untouchables" may not cross the line dividing their part of the village from that occupied by higher castes. They may not use the same wells, visit the same temples, or drink from the same cups in tea stalls. Dalit children are frequently made to sit at the back of classrooms. In what has been called India's "hidden apartheid," entire villages in many Indian states remain completely segregated by caste.'' - https://www.hrw.org/reports/2001/globalcaste/caste0801-03.htm

Dirius

Admiring traits that happen to be ingrained in the culture of a particular race doesn't make one a racist.

The fact that Dirius admires things about the European culture which was developed mostly (not entirely), by the race known as "white", or "Caucasian", doesn't make him a racist. He just admires some of the traits that happen to be engrained in the European culture.

It is racist if the statement is not backed by anything other than your own assumptions. There is no data that indicates that "whites", "blacks" or "latinos" have a worse work ethic than "asians" - or that work ethic in itself is somehow related to a person's ethnocultural background, instead of the person's own predisposition towards responsability.

As for the things I admire from Europe, they are backed by decades of data which proves their reliability, such as democracy and its variants being a better political system than any other.

These ideas have little to do with the ethnic make-up of the people who conceived them. Christianity, the religion which shaped Europe, originates from the middle-east, and its first adherents were arabic jews, not "caucasians" - which shows that cultural traits have very little to do with ethnicity.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Yeah, but a recent immigrant from Africa is considered "Black".
So, what's the difference?
Siriusly - not all recent imigrants from Africa are "Black" :smile:

re: Native Americans
Other naming conventions have been proposed and used
but NONE are accepted by ALL indigenous groups :smile:
Typically, each name has a particular audience
and political or cultural connotation, and regional usage varies.
All those descriptive labels refer to "Americans"
thus underlining
the disregard of the mass genocide
of the vast majority of the indigenous peoples

and the theft of their land

and so
obviously
for the indigenous peoples
whose land has been stolen
the label pre-fix "American" simply adds insult to injury

i.e.

and

is to identify
in such a way
as to put “White” people
in an elite catagory
in fact
the "original Americans" are the indigenous peoples

I agree that "African-American"
doesn't distinguish recent immigrants
from those whose family-tree went through the hell known as "Slavery".
it's important to keep in mind that

the appellation “African American” has a tendency to create
i.e.
"Whites" are “European American” and are recent immigrants :smile:

the indigenous peoples are the "original "Americans"

a5284c3dec45677e6066ba3b6e7645cb--native-indian-native-american-indians.jpg

8cdbd1088048efddb10e4d4f2a05a7ba.jpg

david starling

It is racist if the statement is not backed by anything other than your own assumptions. There is no data that indicates that "whites", "blacks" or "latinos" have a worse work ethic than "asians" - or that work ethic in itself is somehow related to a person's ethnocultural background, instead of the person's own predisposition towards responsability.

As for the things I admire from Europe, they are backed by decades of data which proves their reliability, such as democracy and its variants being a better political system than any other.

These ideas have little to do with the ethnic make-up of the people who conceived them. Christianity, the religion which shaped Europe, originates from the middle-east, and its first adherents were arabic jews, not "caucasians" - which shows that cultural traits have very little to do with ethnicity.

The Mediterranean peoples deserve a lot of credit for things like democracy, philosophy, astrology, and mathematics. What's their ethnic group?

david starling

"European-American" is used to describe "White people". So, if one admires the contributions of the European culture, one is also expressing admiration for that ethnic group.

david starling

Christianity, as we know it, began in Roman territory, and started out as the "Roman Catholic Church". Christianity is obviously a European-centered religion, including Protestants and Anglicans. The European ethnic group includes Greeks and Italians, who are generally considered "White" in the U.S.

david starling

Many don't realize that the population of Argentina, although in the South American continent, is considered about 97% "White", meaning of European origins, in terms of ethnicity.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

Many don't realize
that the population of Argentina, although in the South American continent,
is considered about 97% "White"
meaning of European origins, in terms of ethnicity.
Many don't realize

Population of Argentina = 45,479,118
AND

Argentinian Ethnic groups = Europeans of mostly Spanish
and
Italian descent
as well as
MESTIZO aka MIXED European and AMERINDIAN ancestry = 97.2% :smile:

AMERINDIAN = 2.4%
AFRICAN= 0.4%