Cannot see Cancer in my chart?

Wrendryge

Hello, so I have been thinking about this on and off for about a year and I've drawn a blank. You see, I have a Cancer Sun and Mars in my chart and I cannot relate what-so-ever any Cancer influence.

I'll start with my Mars since I think that is easier to explain. I am a very direct person whose course of action is usually confrontation of the issues. I can be very passive-aggressive that this Mars sign has been known for, but it's usually when I can't be confrontational. If I hesitate on acting it's usually because I've sometimes have acted a bit too quickly and ended up causing no problems than fixing them :lol: That or, I am currently unsure of the best course of action and am thinking of a plan. I am not hesitant and neither do I have the protective streak of Cancer as I believe in letting people fight their own battles. This doesn't mean that I won't step in at all, but I prefer not doing it unless absolutely necessary. Maybe having my Mars in term may have an impact since I assume the descriptions of Mars in Cancer is kept in mind with the fact that Mars is in debility.

Now as for the Sun. Hm, this'll be a bit tough since I keep reading alternating statements that the sun is your "core" you or that the sun is who you'll become. But to be fair, I just can't relate either way. While I do have a nurturing streak it's more of the tough love brand and I really don't care to put it to use except with my close friends. I am about as mothering as a bed of nails, and just about as empathetic as well. I am not a very emotional being (yes, yes I know my Aquarius moon has quite a bit to do with this.) I think what I want to say is that my security isn't my #1 priority or really anywhere. Sure, I want people who I can fall on, but I think anyone with or without Cancer in their chart would want that. My security, is I guess, emotion based, but I don't want it in a building-up-a-family type of way. Actually, I'm after success and making a change and I'd happily sacrifice emotional security and family for that. Also, there seems to be a communal sense to Cancer and I am very independent to a fault. I actually work horribly in groups since I tend to be very disruptive if I see issues. I am also not tradition bound nor roots bound.

While typing this I noticed that I kept talking about my Aquarius moon more and I know that by being it's ruler, it'll of course have to be talked about, but I can't seem to separate it from the sun. Which, for a bonus question, really what is the purpose of the sun? Since it seems like by trying to push away from newspaper sun astrology, astrologists have stripped away some of the sun's meaning.

Also feel free to ask me any questions
Here is my chart for reference:
2ykghaw.jpg

Pisces13

Banned
I've asked this question a few years ago too. I used to feel nothing like a Pisces, feeling instead more like a Leo (my ascendent) or an Aries (my venus), and astrologers kept telling me it's because I'm so young and that as I get older and my personality develops more I'll be able to feel more like my Pisces sun (and Mercury). I was around your age when I asked my question, I'm 22 now, and I have noticed that as I got older I've developed my Piscean qualities, I can definitely see the typical Pisces traits in me. Give it a few more years.

graay ghost

I am 22 now and I still do not really feel a Cancer sun in my chart, either. :unsure: I suppose cutting people and things out of my life and viewing most interactions as somewhat adversarial could be a Cancerian trait, but not really. Claws go snip snip, don't they.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I'll start with my Mars since I think that is easier to explain. I am a very direct person whose course of action is usually confrontation of the issues. I can be very passive-aggressive that this Mars sign has been known for, but it's usually when I can't be confrontational. If I hesitate on acting it's usually because I've sometimes have acted a bit too quickly and ended up causing no problems than fixing them :lol:
That sounds like a combination of Mars in Cancer and Mars in Gemini. Your Mars is so close to the cusp of Gemini that it would still have some Gemini traits infusing it. Gemini tends to act impulsively, while Cancer acts intuitively and usually more slowly.
That or, I am currently unsure of the best course of action and am thinking of a plan. I am not hesitant and neither do I have the protective streak of Cancer as I believe in letting people fight their own battles. This doesn't mean that I won't step in at all, but I prefer not doing it unless absolutely necessary.
That fits very well with Capricorn rising. Capricorn is slow and practical and has a tough love style of nurturing. Cancer may love unconditionally, but Capricorn's love is of the "make me proud of you" variety.
Now as for the Sun. Hm, this'll be a bit tough since I keep reading alternating statements that the sun is your "core" you or that the sun is who you'll become.
The sun's placement shows what your core personality needs the most for its own growth. In Cancer, quite time, nurturing, and/or being nurtured is a part of the picture. That doesn't always mean a lovey-dovey kind of nurturing, though. Seventh house adds a message that relationship to others is a key growth area for you. Partnerships of all kinds--romantic relationships, platonic friendships, business partnerships, rivalries, relationships to clients if you have them, relationships to practitioners if you work with them--those are all crucial to your growth and thriving.
But to be fair, I just can't relate either way. While I do have a nurturing streak it's more of the tough love brand and I really don't care to put it to use except with my close friends. I am about as mothering as a bed of nails, and just about as empathetic as well.
Your Cancer sun is the most emotional and empathetic placement in your chart. All the rest of it is much less sensitive and much less emotional (except maybe Jupiter in Pisces), and it's filtered through a Capricorn ascendent, which is as far from Cancer as you can get, both literally and figuratively.
I am not a very emotional being (yes, yes I know my Aquarius moon has quite a bit to do with this.) I think what I want to say is that my security isn't my #1 priority or really anywhere. Sure, I want people who I can fall on, but I think anyone with or without Cancer in their chart would want that. My security, is I guess, emotion based, but I don't want it in a building-up-a-family type of way.
Emotion-based security but not in a building-up-a-family type of way fits your second house very well. The second house of the birth chart shows what we need most in order to feel secure. Pisces, which shapes your second house, is very emotional and also very loving, but in a universal love kind of way. It's not about personal or attached love, it's about detached love: the kind that wants to see others happy but doesn't necessarily need to keep in touch with them.

Jupiter in Pisces gives it a very expansive quality, highlighting that universal but not necessarily personal love for you, and since it trines your sun, that message blends seamlessly with your Cancerian message.
Actually, I'm after success and making a change and I'd happily sacrifice emotional security and family for that. Also, there seems to be a communal sense to Cancer and I am very independent to a fault. I actually work horribly in groups since I tend to be very disruptive if I see issues. I am also not tradition bound nor roots bound.
That fits perfectly with your Capricorn ascendent and your moon's placement. Not only is it in Aquarius, it's also conjunct Uranus, which is extra strong by virtue of being in its native sign. Uranus is all about individuality, breaking away from groupthink, and so is Aquarius. That's the planet and sign that breaks tradition. The disrupter. The rebel. And since this is in your first house, it's readily apparent in your personality and your approach to interacting with the world.

Which, for a bonus question, really what is the purpose of the sun? Since it seems like by trying to push away from newspaper sun astrology, astrologists have stripped away some of the sun's meaning.
The only meaning that strips away from the sun is the idea that your sun sign is the be-all and end-all of astrology, which is patently false. And the art of astrology is much older than newspaper sun astrology, and has always been far more complex.

The purpose of the sun is to describe the growth of your core ego. Everything else in the chart revolves around that, but also flavors it. It's like the sun is the main ingredient in a soup. Depending on what else goes in the soup, what kind of pot it's cooked in, how long it's cooked, what kind of seasoning is used, etc., soups with the same main ingredient can turn out very differently. Similarly, we all have a birth chart sun, we all have an ego, we all need personal growth, but it plays out in very different ways, often even for people with the same sun sign, because house placements and aspects and the rest of the chart alter the picture a lot.

Wrendryge

You are female right? so you would identify with your moon more.

Also your ascendant is opposite your sun so no wonder you have identity issues

http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/sunascendantaspects.html
I guess? I identify more with the energy or Aquarius than the moon and the opposite with my Sun and Mars really.

I don't actually have identity issues. I know who I am very well (considering my age,) I just don't see myself in the context of Cancer :biggrin:

Wrendryge

First of all, thanks for the huge response! ^^

About my Mars, I've never heard of planets of on sign cusps. I've actually seen that looked down upon and that whatever sign it is in, it is the sign so to speak.

It's nice to hear something about the 7th house other than marriage and lawyers. How you define 7th house partnerships from 3rd house friends? In terms of durability? ^^

Isn't the 2nd house the house of material security though? o.o

And thanks for answering the bonus question. I just never see it ever really being placed much attention in chart reading and it sometimes seems odd since it is the core of the personality. I mean, you still need to know the main ingredient in a soup to know what type it is and how'll it taste like.

But overall, thanks!

Osamenor

Staff member
It's nice to hear something about the 7th house other than marriage and lawyers. How you define 7th house partnerships from 3rd house friends? In terms of durability? ^^
No, in terms of type of interaction. The seventh house is about one-on-one partnerships, and also partnerships that are about working to accomplish something. Traditionally, it's the House of Marriage, and traditionally, marriage was exactly that kind of partnership. Up until the last century, in every society in the world, men had one set of skills, women had another, and it took both to run a household. So in order to become an adult, which meant setting up your own household, you had to acquire a partner with the skill set that complemented yours. Hence the traditional one man, one woman marriage.

Modern marriage is also indicated by the seventh house, even though it has some different meanings now. So are business partnerships, even if they involve more than two people, because that's in the same vein as traditional marriage: people working together to accomplish something, to keep something going. And then, because of the one-on-one indicators and the indicators of emotional closeness, seventh house also includes close friends, friendly rivals, even enemies who you keep playing off of. A person in your seventh house is a person you work with, and your energies play off each other's. It's also a chosen relationship, which is in sharp contrast to the third house.

The third house is about just plain communication, and it has a more diffuse focus. There's a sense there of relating to many different people. Siblings and sibling-like friendships are a key indicator of the third house. If you have any siblings of your own, think of how you relate to them. It's different from the kind of relationship you can have with anyone else. Those relationships are ones that you're born into, didn't choose, but they're also the most unbreakable bonds you can have.

Isn't the 2nd house the house of material security though? o.o
Yes, and also of emotional security.

Krewster

Having that disconnect with sign-based astro labels is a great opportunity to try on for size the maxim “aspects over signs.”
Along these lines, how about your Mars’ bi-quintile to Uran and how about your Sun’s pair of “red” aspects to Uran and Pluto (octile and semi-octile, the latter being only 6 min orb); my wife’s Pisces Sun also has your same aspect to Pluto (15 min orb) and, indeed, there’s little place amongst that steely-strength for casual expression of warmth or sympathy –very *not*...;)

Last edited:

Bradders

Oob! Ooh! I've heard about this one! I'll point it out! *raises hand with paced moaning* Uuuh! Uuuh!

Sun Opposition Ascendent aspect ( shared from cafeastrology.com )

There is a big tendency for those born under the Sun in opposition to the Ascendant to "find themselves" through other people. Most people with this aspect are in partnership with a close personal friend and/or a close romantic partner most of their lives with few gaps between. Just as Sun conjunct the Ascendant has an Aries flavor, the opposition has a Libra flavor, especially if the Sun is found in the seventh house. These people truly come alive when one-on-one. This makes them good at negotiations, therapy, and other situations where being able to slip into another's shoes is advantageous. Decision-making is enjoyed best when shared with another person. These are people who are the first to call on a close personal friend or the spouse whenever a decision needs to be made--not that they always take that person's advice! However, the back and forth of the exchange helps them to find an answer within. Again, this comes back to seeing themselves through others' perspectives. These are not the types of people who go to movies or restaurants alone (by choice). They simply feel more powerful and happy with someone tagging along. Some are submissive, but most are not. They don't truly give their power away to others. However, they don't readily "own" their power without feedback from others, where the term "others" doesn't refer to people in general, but to an individual. It's not about reputation or saving face (although this is possible if the Sun is also square the Midheaven).

graay ghost

I may be full of it here, but as another Cancer, I am finding a very notable pattern for descriptions that ring false for me. It's that Cancer descriptions usually at first pay lip service to mysterious moon-nature, crabs having a hard protective shell, and then immediately diving headfirst into stereotypical motherly behaviors like nesting and homemaking and family-tree research. It's pretty baffling because the second doesn't really follow the first. I mean, it COULD follow the first, but the connection is not immediate and it requires several leaps of logic.

It sounds like someone from the outside looking in, trying to explain what they see but not really getting it -- and isn't that supposedly the nature of Cancer, not letting anyone in?

R4VEN

To the OP, two things.

#1: You are not quite 17. Much of the brain - especially the frontal lobe - does not finish developing until some time in your 20's. Who you are now is not who you will be at 30, and who you are at 30 will be totally different from who you are at 40, and so on.

#2: As one who has Capricorn Rising myself, much of what you describe is a combination of your Cap Ascendant along with a powerful and ambitious Scorpio Midheaven.

If you are still this way at 40, then you are doing something wrong. The only thing we know for sure about life is that we, and our circumstances, will change, often on a daily basis.

And note to Osamenor:
I have been doing astrology for over 25 years, and one thing I can say for sure is that the concept of cusps - where someone with Mars 3 deg in Cancer will display some features of Gemini, is flawed. If that were so, then the whole idea of signs and their basic characteristics would be almost meaningless. I have Venus just 0 deg 6 min in Cancer, and my own Venus expression is totally Cancerian (assisted by a Cancer Moon), and not in any way Gemini.
House cusps is something else again.

graay ghost

I have been doing astrology for over 25 years, and one thing I can say for sure is that the concept of cusps - where someone with Mars 3 deg in Cancer will display some features of Gemini, is flawed. If that were so, then the whole idea of signs and their basic characteristics would be almost meaningless. I have Venus just 0 deg 6 min in Cancer, and my own Venus expression is totally Cancerian (assisted by a Cancer Moon), and not in any way Gemini.
House cusps is something else again.

Would this depend at all on which way the planet is going?

Oddity

No, that would just make the planet less capable of expressing itself properly. It would still be in whatever sign it's in.

Signs do not give personality. At least I've not seen that happen. If you have a detrimented, retrograde planet, look at the houses it rules and the house it is in. Unless there are some serious mitigating circumstances, those areas of life are going to be problematic for the native.

Julian

Banned
First of all, you definitely have Cancer traits. You come off as a serious person and you are a very creative person who loves to innovate. Your joy is in communicating and being creative. You also can be moody and you are capable of transmiting things that are beautiful. You seek for attention but you can hurt others by demanding their attention. You're passive aggressive like you said. Your Mars is squaring Jupiter and Mars is in Cancer, meaning that you sometimes feel very aggressive but you don't know exactly how or when to do it