Human existence: the gender of God

petosiris

Banned
Apart from the "Feminist Movement", which has some extremely anti-male adherents involved with it, what's your definition of "feminist"? I define it as respect and consideration between the genders.

Yours is a quite vague definition for this movement. I am only commenting on parts where they contradict biblical teaching, that is concerning spiritual authority and changing the word of God.

Last edited:

david starling

Yours is a quite vague definition for this movement. I am only commenting on parts where they contradict biblical teaching, that is concerning spiritual authority and changing the word of God.

It's not the Movement. They co-opted the term "feminism", which means respect and consideration between the genders. So, there is no "they", just individual attitude.

You can see where referring to the invisible Creator as "he" is an invitation to place men in a position of authority OVER women. Hard not to notice that the Bible was written by men who desired authority over women. Very convenient for keeping women "in their place"!

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Even a perfect transmission from the Most High could have been distorted by the personal desires of the imperfect receivers of such wisdom.

The Most High would obviously preserve the texts for the most part (having foreknowledge by omniscience), and this can be verified by historical methods and prophecy. Maybe you can show us which text has been distorted? What is the place of the women according to the Bible?

Last edited:

david starling

The Most High would obviously preserve the texts for the most part (having foreknowledge by omniscience), and this can be verified by historical methods and prophecy. Maybe you can show us which text has been distorted? What is the place of the women according to the Bible?

Barefoot and pregnant? All Eve's fault?

petosiris

Banned
Barefoot and pregnant? All Eve's fault?

The place of Jews, Gentiles, servants, freemen, men and women is in the kingdom of God, for all are one in Christ. - Gal. 3:28 Yet, each one of them has different role in this life while getting there.

What do you mean by barefoot? Childbirth is by design of God to prevent the extinction of the human race and the birth of the messiah, only the pains of childbirth are by curse.

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Housework, rather than careers.

You have to be really historically illiterate to make such a statement. What ''career'' did Paul and Priscilla pursue? Was Jesus the CEO of carpenters? Women didn't go to war, that is true, (but so didn't men under certain circumstances written in the law of Moses like Deut. 20).

You are probably thinking of the second part of Gen. 3:16, which is a factual statement, regardless of being good or evil (it is a curse).

Last edited:

Bunraku

petosiris

Banned
There are 60 or so genders that are discovered and in popular use. As gender scientists discover more gender, there may be up to thousands or even hundreds of thousands.

https://apath.org/63-genders/
Here's a list.

https://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2014/02/heres-a-list-of-58-gender-options-for-facebook-users
Facebook has 58 to choose from

It's important that we memorize these so that we can be excellent human beings and help the forward the future of humanity (Aquarius) :)

I will let david memorize them so he can hasten the coming age of Aquarius.
I am going to focus on memorizing the scriptures from the olde ages of Pisces and Aries. :smile:

waybread

Where in the NT is it written that Jesus has a divine mother? Jesus the son of God has a divine father as did Adam, but is also the son of David through Mary his human mother.

Proverbs 8 uses Hebraic personification of wisdom, no Jew reading that thought there was another person there, but incidentally the second and third century church fathers thought she was the Word/pre-existent Jesus/angel/second god. But if wisdom is a person, who then is prudence? (Prov. 8:12)

Catholics are people of God in Babylon, so no comment on the idea that Mary the mother of the human messiah is divine or near divine.

Petosiris, here's what I wrote:
Would a God who chooses to reveal Himself as a Father, also have other options at His disposal? If God is omnipotent, yes. According to Catholic interpretations the NT, God in the form of Jesus also has a divine Mother. In Proverbs, God has a supernatural female partner in Creation, Sophia (Wisdom.)

Here is the catechism on Mary: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p6.htm

St. Mary was often portrayed wearing a blue or black mantel covered in stars, suggesting that her nature is celestial.

Sophia (Hebrew Hochma, a feminine word) describes herself in Proverbs 8:22-30. Sounds divine to me.

Please read Raphael Patai, The Hebrew Goddess. Patai was an ordained rabbi, with doctorates in ancient semitic languages and the history of the Near East.

Of course, this would be heretical in your mindscape.

What does this mean: "Catholics are people of God in Babylon."?

Petosiris, what is your Christian denomination?

Last edited:

jac

I recognize no communication from any deity through what I perceive as political grandstanding. It seems shameful to me that adults should be cowed by condescending gestures engineered to remand them to obedience and punishment.

The spurious "St. Paul", remains an archetype of hateful misogyny, and as such, has helped bolster shameful occurrences in the church. This shouldn't have to be elaborated upon.

The hidden roots of any faith are ripe for investigation. What better way to expose the human condition?

True feminism is the radical notion that women are human beings.

Last edited:

waybread

There is no definitive scholarship on who or what Asherah was. Possibly the term had more than one meaning, including being something like an idol or tree that could be cut down. Exodus 34:13, Judges 6:25.

petosiris

Banned
Petosiris, here's what I wrote:

Here is the catechism on Mary: http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p123a9p6.htm

Sophia (Hebrew Hochma, a feminine word) describes herself in Proverbs 8:22-30. Sounds divine to me.

Please read Raphael Patai, The Hebrew Goddess. Patai was an ordained rabbi, with doctorates in ancient semitic languages and the history of the Near East.

Of course, this would be heretical in your mindscape.

What does this mean: "Catholics are people of God in Babylon."?

Petosiris, what is your Christian denomination?

What do you mean my mindscape? I thought you were a Jewish convert and knew the basics of avodah zarah. I am not in any denomination currently, but I am a Unitarian.

waybread

God is perfect in power and wisdom, so there is a reason he chose to refer to himself with singular masculine pronouns. Same as with the maternal imagery in Isaiah etc. To think otherwise, is to rebel against God.

Something to think about is that God apparently dislikes people who second-guess him. Proverbs 30: 6-16, also the book of Job, where people are warned not to imagine they can understand God's decisions.

We can speculate why this is so, knowing that Adam and Eve were both created in the image of God, but I don't think we should question it. Paul in 1 Cor. 11:3 says that God <who is always the Father> is the head of his beloved Anointed, who is the head of the man, who is the head of his wife. There is clearly subordination and servitude of each person to someone, except God, despite what trinitarians and feminists claim otherwise. And this is clear in all of Paul's letters - Ephesians 5:22-30, Colossians 3:18-19, 1 Timothy 2:9-15. So it seems that the abundance of masculine language may stress our subordinate role to God (for the prophets say we are either brides or whores), except in minor cases, as for example concerning his steadfast mercy, patience, love and compassion, which are qualities that we adore in exemplar women.

See Galatians 3:28.

Many denominations believe in the trinity. What is your denomination?

But also, Hebrew is a highly gendered language. Most of the OT/Hebrew Bible is written in Hebrew (I can't speak for the Aramaic or Greek) where "you" is written in the masculine singular. In Hebrew, a mixed male-female group is referred to as the masculine plural, even if you've got 1 man and 100 women.

We often don't know exactly what was meant by words penned 2500 years ago. There is a lot of slippage in translation into modern languages like English.

This highly gendered feature of the Hebrew was linguistically and perhaps culturally essential during the Iron Age. But today?

Last edited:

petosiris

Banned
Something to think about is that God apparently dislikes people who second-guess him. Proverbs 30: 6-16, also the book of Job, where people are warned not to imagine they can understand God's decisions.

See Galatians 3:28.

Many denominations believe in the trinity. What is your denomination?

But also, Hebrew is a highly gendered language. Most of the OT/Hebrew Bible is written in Hebrew (I can't speak for the Aramaic or Greek) where "you" is written in the masculine singular. In Hebrew, a mixed male-female group is referred to as the masculine plural, even if you've got 1 man and 100 women.

We often don't know exactly what was meant by words penned 2500 years ago. There is a lot of slippage in translation into modern languages like English.

This highly gendered feature of the Hebrew

My native language and Greek are also highly gendered. It is why we don't translate a book from Hebrew as ''he''. But the word Father is in special way gendered, and it would be a travesty to refer to God as ''she'' in this situation. Besides, if you claim that ''he'' has no gender connotation (because God is incorporeal), then changing it with ''she'' has no effect other than supporting an agenda.

waybread

As you may ask what this has to do with women's spaces, consider how you'd feel if your girlfriend, wife, granddaughter or mother were in a bathroom with a man in a dress.

Because most public women's restrooms have stalls with locking doors on them, I could probably handle it. People in the public part of the restroom are normally fully clothed and just washing their hands. I assume this person really identified as female.

petosiris

Banned

This is exactly what I am saying with ''We can speculate why this is so, knowing that Adam and Eve were both created in the image of God, but I don't think we should question it.'' I gave my own opinion, which I don't believe it is necessary to believe in, but I said that we should refer to the Father as ''he'', simply because he does it.