How should a planet be interpreted when the sign in it is at 0 degrees?

Saturnian

Like the title says,what description of a sign in a certain planet should be read.
Like when a sign is at 29 degrees,I have often heard that you read the next sign,or when it is at 1 degree the previous.
So what happens when it is at 0 degrees?

dr. farr

In my opinion and experience once the planet is @ 0 degrees it is definitely in that sign: Saturn @ 29 degrees 40 (or more) minutes of say Sagittarius, I would tend to look at as "under Capricorn" (earlier than 40 minutes, though, I would still continue to consider its influence under Sagittarius) However, Saturn @ 0degrees00minutes Capricorn would be "entirely" under Capricorn (in the way I consider these things)...

Rushwing

Generally, that means to me that a battle takes place inside the individual over which sign the planet gets to be in.

Otherwise the planet is debilitated until this energy is put in one or the other direction. That's my current theory, it might change. . . :sideways:

I wonder if it is like having a gemini energy to the planet. It might give a person an odd genius or a an ability to blend into many environments.

Its not like the person is "half and half" though one sign will win always and the other one will get repressed in the end.

I think this applies to all "cuspy" planets, one sign is dominant and the other sign energy becomes un-used.

USE IT or LOSE IT I think is he most important part, HOWEVER if you focus on the duality you get lost very quickly in the spin

Of course you always have to read the rest of the chart and look at each aspect individually to sense where the battle is going. . .

If there are more planets on one side than the other, or if the planet is the handle of a bowl or the engine or caboose of a train. Is the planet being pushed or pulled? Is it mercury or is it mars . . if it is virgo then it will be more mutable than taurus which will make a decision. Is it opposition to another planet? How?

PS Dr. Farr is right tho, of course if it is in the sign it is in the sign, but I dunno about you but as a last decan virgo I feel the libra energy in me too.

Last edited:

Inconjunct

My view is that a planet is either in a sign or it's not. If I'm leaning on the wall between my house and the next one, am I slightly in next door's? No.

When it comes to the Sun in those first/last few degrees of a sign, Mercury and Venus could well be trailing behind or moving ahead, which is where you might feel the energy of the following/preceding sign.

Last edited:

Rushwing

I agree, I do, but with some signs and planets the energy is more wobbly/mutable

For example, mercury is often a planet that can get confused/undecided about where it is, even IMO if it is SECURELY in one house or sign, even between 1-5 degrees it can be "edgy" or
"chomping" or "wobbly" in it's frequency especially if it is combust, and its just another thing one has to be aware of.

Inconjunct

I don't see how Mercury can be "confused" in and of itself, it doesn't fit in with my view of astrology. The planetary energies are modified by the sign in which the planet is found and the aspects it makes with other planets and points in the chart. If Mercury is "confused", it must be due to the influence of these other elements of the chart.

Saturnian - Venus at 0 degrees is still safely in a sign, IMO. Of course, if this is a natal chart, then there could be some possibility that an incorrect birth time has placed Venus wrongly in the 0 degrees of a sign, which might explain why someone would feel their Venus expression more in the preceding sign.

Rushwing

How is it then that each day of the year blends into the next?
If you are born on 12:00 midnight for example, that is a transition period, it may be that that person is strictly born on that day, but the energy is charged with that special transition time. Either that person feels divided in themselves, or entirely confident about themselves, and imo it does not do any good to deny it but to rather let the individual know about the nature of that energy.

But I digress...
Some signs and some planets are less fixed than others, and if you have a planet on the cusp of a house or sign, that planet can have effects in both houses or signs depending on your chart system

When a planet is combust description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combust_%28astrological_aspect%29

I don't strictly adhere to anything yet as my own practice is developing, but a combust planet has energy that is "burnt" and when you have a combust planet that is also in 0-5 degrees of a transition, I see that as a weak point where the energies are uncertain... the average confidence of that planet is taken away.

Saturnian what is your venus in 00 of what and what is your rising sign? Show me your chart and I can explain the nature of the energy . .. love!

Rushwing

I don't see how Mercury can be "confused" in and of itself, it doesn't fit in with my view of astrology. The planetary energies are modified by the sign in which the planet is found and the aspects it makes with other planets and points in the chart. If Mercury is "confused", it must be due to the influence of these other elements of the chart.

Saturnian - Venus at 0 degrees is still safely in a sign, IMO. Of course, if this is a natal chart, then there could be some possibility that an incorrect birth time has placed Venus wrongly in the 0 degrees of a sign, which might explain why someone would feel their Venus expression more in the preceding sign.

To be honest though, I am in agreement with every other post that has been said. Like I said, my practice is evolving and I hadn't yet thought of the planets as if they were "trailing" the sun, which is an excellent reminder -

It makes me think also, if there were a large gravitational body on one side (for example jupiter) and the planet were at exactly zero degrees between the sun in one side and jupiter in the other, than that would be an interesting thing to consider. . .gravity. . .

Inconjunct

Mercury and Venus aren't exactly trailing the Sun. Due to their astronomical positions and the way celestial longitude is calculated, they are never able to be more than 28 degrees or 45 degrees away from the Sun respectively. The gravity of each planet has nothing to do with it.

anny

When a planet is let`s say 0 degree, then the expression of this sign energy is very brutal, rare. There is no half-way next sign... whether the planet is in the last or already in the next sign. :innocent:

The best is to check it from the progressions. For example I had my Sun progressing from Leo to Virgo. At last degree of Leo I was taking maximum from the entertainment and performing world. Trying to get to the heart of all this - acting, dancing, singing, being a child world. But if my Sun progressed to Virgo, I was like a new person. Thinking about what hobbies are practical are what are not... making fine distinction between fun and work. Concentrating my natal Leo energy more down-to-earth ways. :wink:

Let`s say you have natally Mars 0 degree in Gemini. So this means that you are very much the "pure" type of Gemini when it comes to actions and asserting yourself. Very easily changing your mind when starting something, or having tool for words and communication, or there is some strong connection with cars and other transportation things.... or you are drawn to make sport and be the first with your fast movements... so basically also the other chart plays an important role, but the main thing is that planet in 29 or 0 degree get`s some special attention, because it requires more energy than usually.

R4VEN

When a planet is let`s say 0 degree, then the expression of this sign energy is very brutal, rare. There is no half-way next sign... whether the planet is in the last or already in the next sign. :innocent:
Having my Venus at 0 degr 06' I fully endorse what anny says above. It is a brutal and right-in-the-deep-end degree. There is no doubting where my Venus lies - for me, anyway.

Rushwing

My view is that a planet is either in a sign or it's not. If I'm leaning on the wall between my house and the next one, am I slightly in next door's? No.

When it comes to the Sun in those first/last few degrees of a sign, Mercury and Venus could well be trailing behind or moving ahead, which is where you might feel the energy of the following/preceding sign.

I think anny's response was the most helpful!

With regards to trailing and gravity - I know the facts of orbits and perigrees etc, and so everyone has their own interpretive methods and language in astrology. I'll send you a PM about it. . .to keep this relevant to the OP. . .

I am fairly certain about combust planets in the cusps! I learned that from a published vedic astrology master Michael Laughrin with regards to my own mercury combust at 28 virgo. . . he said exactly "it can act as if it is unsure which house it is in because it is combusted" and thats how I learned about it.

For anyone who cares that is. . . that was jyotish

Rx also may have a similar effect (?) anyone with a retrograde planet at 00-05 or 25-29?

Anyway trying hard to keep this all relevant to the OP

dperez3894

My Mars is at 0 Degrees 47 Minutes Aquarius and although my actions have Aquarius(i.e Uranian) tendencies they also have Capricorn(i.e. Saturnian) tendencies as well. In other words, Unpredictable and Predictable.

When I take Predictable actions, I get Unpredictable consequences. When I take Unpredictable actions, I get Predictable consequences.

Mars in my chart acts like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle from Quantum Physics where if you measure something, it changes the quantum state of the universe to an uncertain state but if you don't take a measurement then the quantum state of the universe remains certain.

Attachments

• dp-equal.jpg
    dp-equal.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 21

R4VEN

Mars in my chart acts like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle from Quantum Physics where if you measure something, it changes the quantum state of the universe to an uncertain state but if you don't take a measurement then the quantum state of the universe remains certain.
Love this analogy, dperez.

Well explained!

ThunderGoddess

Some time ago, I saw things in this way - for example Sun 29 degrees Capricorn. It's Capricorn and that is. Sun 0,0000001 degrees in Capricorn. It's Capricorn and that's it. And I just used to say to myself: "This dude really got the very first (or very last) train. Not until I talked with some guy who was interested in astrology, too. He had sort of Aquopisces sun. It was in the very end of the Aquarius and in the beggining of Pisces. He told me that he feels the Sun is kind of changing - sometimes he feels it more Pisces, some times he feels it more Aquarius - these things change over some years in some cycle he has. So I guess this makes things harder to interpritate but there are no random things. If some individual was born with this kind of influence, fate and karma have reason for it. I guess such people can express both signs, or the sign they want to express with using their willpower. Anyway, while reading this thread I get kinda fascinated from the many options a natal chart could have. :)

piercethevale

The enumeration of a Sign ends at 30* 00' 00". and not at 29* 59' 59". The following sign begins at 00* 00' 01" and from there to 01* 00' 00" it is the first degree [actually it begins before that but it is rounded up to the whole second of a degree as it would be a momentous task to have to constantly write it as thus: 00* 00' 00.ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo...................................1"]
The second degree is 01* 00' 01" to 02* 00' 00" ...and so on...but, this gets very confusing to most people for some reason and is really only imperative when dealing with Sabian Symbols.

kirlie

This is something that I have found confusing since I began studying astrology a few years ago. Dr. Farr's approach really makes alot of sense to me. I either have my Venus at 29°59'41 Aquarius or 00°00'00 Pisces depending on what software is used. Most software comes up with Aquarius, but that never really "felt" all the way right. Lol, I have a pretty dreamy romantic (unrealistic) love nature. Although there are other aspects that could account for this. I feel more like a Venus in Pisces.

In my opinion and experience once the planet is @ 0 degrees it is definitely in that sign: Saturn @ 29 degrees 40 (or more) minutes of say Sagittarius, I would tend to look at as "under Capricorn" (earlier than 40 minutes, though, I would still continue to consider its influence under Sagittarius) However, Saturn @ 0degrees00minutes Capricorn would be "entirely" under Capricorn (in the way I consider these things)...

Last edited:

piercethevale

This is something that I have found confusing since I began studying astrology a few years ago. Dr. Farr's approach really makes alot of sense to me. I either have my Venus at 29°59'41 Aquarius or 00°00'00 Pisces depending on what software is used. Most software comes up with Aquarius, but that never really "felt" all the way right. Lol, I have a pretty dreamy romantic (unrealistic) love nature. Although there are other aspects that could account for this. I feel more like a Venus in Pisces.

Use Astrodienst and see what they say...I will place my money on their Swiss Ephemeris every time...besides the Swiss are noted for their precision at that...i.e. Time Keeping...watches, clocks...etc

ps...and besides...they are undoubtedly rounding it up or down and then I would say there is a 'problem' with any software that gives a reading of 0* 00' 00".

Last edited:
How is it then that each day of the year blends into the next?
If you are born on 12:00 midnight for example, that is a transition period, it may be that that person is strictly born on that day, but the energy is charged with that special transition time. Either that person feels divided in themselves, or entirely confident about themselves, and imo it does not do any good to deny it but to rather let the individual know about the nature of that energy. [problem here is most people don't know their 'time' and technically it only really changes, moon degree or poss sign, at most poss change in sun sign, which if 0' next sign is strenghtened but still 'critical degree']
http://www.cafeastrology.com/criticaldegrees.html

But I digress...
Some signs and some planets are less fixed than others, and if you have a planet on the cusp of a house or sign, that planet can have effects in both houses or signs depending on your chart system

When a planet is combust description:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combust_%28astrological_aspect%29

I don't strictly adhere to anything yet as my own practice is developing, but a combust planet has energy that is "burnt" and when you have a combust planet that is also in 0-5 degrees of a transition, I see that as a weak point where the energies are uncertain... the average confidence of that planet is taken away.

Saturnian what is your venus in 00 of what and what is your rising sign? Show me your chart and I can explain the nature of the energy . .. love!
Wiki does state---
For technical purposes, in Western astrology, most ancient and medieval authorities considered a planet combust or burnt when its position was within 5-8 degrees on either side of the Sun.
This is Traditional astrology viewpoints. I'm a modern astrologer that uses Equal house system and I don't hold with these views at all :whistling: :biggrin:

Planets conjunct a house cusp
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202304&postcount=7
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205033#post205033
Planets conj House cusp
“Ascendant at 15’ Libra and Jupiter 13’ Libra. That would place Jupiter in the 12th house, right? But many thoughtful astrologers would read this as Jupiter being conjunction with Ascendant, and end up reading it as bringing its action to bear in the first house, rather than in the 12th.
This same idea would apply for each and every house cusp. If the planet is IN THE SAME SIGN as the sign on the next house cusp, and close enough to be CONJUNCT WITH that next house cusp, the action of the planet will be directed into oncoming house”
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/inhouses.html

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14887

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125412&postcount=4

Ptolemy says the influence of the house begins to be felt 5° before the actual cusp.
http://www.astrologycom.com/houses.html

“Astrologers have seen a body influencing the house it is about to enter, time and time again. All theorizing aside, the planet casting its shadow ahead works. I can speak from personal experience, as well as reading ancient texts. If you discover this as true, then the next question may be, "Just how close must a body be to a cusp before it begins to be felt in the neighboring house?"
I've seen some authors say 3 degrees. I've seen some that give 5 degrees. I have seen some that even give 8 degrees. And there may be other variations.” http://astronuts.tribe.net/thread/90c9f417-5086-4ff0-b31f-c904fe99baca

Last edited: