Rules of Most Elevated Planet?

jac

ChartJacBIG.jpg

I've scoured the internet trying to find these, not a whiz but can't seem to determine which of these planets is the most elevated. I feel them both, but clearly is must be one or the other.

Do you know definitively which one it would be, and can you please tell me why?

Thanks or having a look!

Attachments

• Anon.jpg
    Anon.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Wiiegiest

I'm sorry, your attached image is too small. I can't see anything. Maybe try to upload more high resolution image :)

And as for most elevated planet, I don't think it'd limit to 1 planet only. It also would differ each day depends with the transits. Each astrologers has their own way to determine dominant planet. Some of them determine by Ascendant sign's ruler, some of them determine by which planets conjunct important angles.

I have different results regarding this. With astro.com pullen's simple style, I got Venus followed by Sun and Uranus. But with horoscopes.astro-seek.com and 12andus.com I got Uranus followed by Venus and Moon/Neptune. But honestly? I feel Venus, Uranus, Moon/Neptune the most. Venus as my chart ruler, Uranus/Neptune conjunct MC, Moon conjunct IC.

greybeard

Neither is elevated.
If I had to pick between Moon and Neptune, the 2 possibilities, it would be Neptune because:
a) he is ascending and
b) he is closer to the MC.

But in your chart the sky is too crowded for an elevated planet and besides there is a planet in the First.

jac

ChartJacBIG.jpg

Hello Wiiegeist! I hope this is better.

I've only ever seen most elevated natal position referred to as a single planet.

While I'm aware there will be some difference in opinion, I'm looking for a solid guideline or guidelines. I know there must surely be some exact criterion for this.

Vastly varying interpretations suggest to me that there is no real grasp of this placement or it's importance (also in question). As the math necessary for casting a chart are consistent, I'd expect this to be as well.

Could you expound on this? I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited:

greybeard

View attachment 79502

I've only ever seen most elevated natal position referred to as a single planet.

While I'm aware there will be some difference in opinion, I'm looking for a solid guideline or guidelines. I know there must surely be some exact criterion for this.

Vastly varying interpretations suggest to me that there is no real grasp of this placement or it's importance (also in question). As the math necessary for casting a chart are consistent, I'd expect this to be as well.

Ideally, the elevated planet stands alone in the 10th while the First is empty.

The rising and elevated planets are both accidental dignities and provide a means of selecting one planet as predominant, which is desireable for innterpretation.

Last edited:

Wiiegiest

View attachment 79502

Oops I'm confusing elevated planet as a dominant planet. Sorry hehe. Now, your most elevated planet is Neptune imo. And your dominant planet is either Jupiter or Saturn.

jac

Neither is elevated.
If I had to pick between Moon and Neptune, the 2 possibilities, it would be Neptune because:
a) he is ascending and
b) he is closer to the MC.

But in your chart the sky is too crowded for an elevated planet and besides there is a planet in the First.

Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

Now I'm going to be stupid: Isn't it still possible for me to have an elevated planet despite the planets my in my 1st house and/or rising Jupiter? I mean, it is supposed to be highest in the chart, and seems to indicate the world's perception of the native's life path, as opposed to face-to-the-world of the ASC, i.e.; how you appear vs. what you actually do.

I very much appreciate your choice of Neptune, and citing your reasons. It's what I was feeling.

My impression from various sources- (for whatever that's worth) is that the MEP is a separate entity by virtue of is proximity to the Midheaven (MC).

The reason I'm curious, is that I've seen other charts (I wish I'd saved the link) where someone gave examples of charts with strong planets occupying the eastern hemisphere, and an explanation of their place in the world colored by the MEP.

Unfortunately, I lack the adequate training to make the determination of what is rising or placing most powerfully. Greybeard, thanks so very much for your input! You too Wiiegeist!

greybeard

As noted, the basic function of selecting an elevated or a rising planet is to find a planet whose influence is preeminent in the chart and then pin the interpretation on that planet. Sort of. So having both an elevated and rising planet in the same chart is ambiguous and it doesn't attain our aim. Hence the stricture.

A rising planet should be within 20 degrees below and 12 degrees above the horizon. Different astrologers may use different values. But close to the Asc, coming up.

Rising preempts elevation. The Ascendant is your "role in life" and is the beginning of all things. Initial conditions determine the final outcome. Rising preempts elevation because the Asc is primary.

An elevated planet must be in Tenth or Ninth. Tenth receives preference because the planet is still ascending and increasing in power. The Tenth is an angular house, stronger than the cadent Ninth. Proximity to the MC is important.

JFK had an elevated Saturn. Saturn was weakened in Cancer, ruled the 4th of Family, Heritage. JFK's family was elevated socially. Saturn is ambition; JFK had elevated ambition and aspired to the highest position. Where the exiled (debilitated) Saturn killed him.

Janis Joplin had an elevated Mars.

Jeddu Krishnamurti had an elevated rx Uranus, with Aquarius rising. This stands out as the primary theme of his philosophy as "internal revolution".

Bobby Fisher has Venus in partile conjunction MC and in partile mundane (but not zodiacal) square to her lord Mars who is partile conjunct the Descendant. Then there is Pluto 6 degrees or so below the eastern horizon, opposing Mars. A most interesting and complex chart.

jac

Very interesting, good to have some sense of the perimeters. Seems to be subjective to other factors and makes sense. I've noticed that characteristics in a chart tend to 'underline' each other.

All very good to know.

Thanks Greybeard!

waybread

Actually, the strongest (not most elevated) planet in your chart is Saturn. It is domiciled (in the sign it rules) and angular (in the first house, close to the ascendant.)

Your north node (of the moon) looks interesting, as well, up there with your MC.

BTW, try not to chop off the degrees of your MC and AC. It's helpful if we can read what they are.

jac

Hi stranger! Yep, knew that about my Saturn.
Hoping the new year is treating you well.

Of course, sorry- here's a better file.
JacAnonChart.jpg