Algol

Jeremy

t-square, interesting to note that if you read the (very interesting thank you) article you linked that Algol is significant in those who are involved with "horrible heads" in some way - like the horror make-up artist. If the MC is the way in which you come into view in the world, and you have Algol conjunct your progressed MC...
Then look at your avatar.
:)

tsquare

t-square, interesting to note that if you read the (very interesting thank you) article you linked that Algol is significant in those who are involved with "horrible heads" in some way - like the horror make-up artist. If the MC is the way in which you come into view in the world, and you have Algol conjunct your progressed MC...
Then look at your avatar.
Laughing,:D
Yes, I thought it was time to show the world what I really looked like, come out of the dark, post a decent pick....

What do you mean horrible head?:confused:
We are technical perfection.:cool:

You
will be one with the Borg, Jeremy.

If anyone wants cool chart reading headgear like the kind I have in my avatar, PM me.....Resistance if Futile.

Last edited:

Jeremy

It made me laugh too :D
I always loved those ST:TNG Borg episodes. I wonder what planet has rulership over the Borg?

I haven't yet been assimilated btw, but I'm rapidly approaching my first Uranus opposition...

tsquare

Probably Uranus...
Cold planet, air planet....something heartless.....totaly analtical....100% right in total absolutes....no water...no sun.......mabie a bad case of libra......everyone must get along..........

mabie Virgo....the constant persuit of perfection comes to mind....ruthlessness.

Philisophically it is interesting....goes beyond astrology......it's like a bad form of Communism......everyones a robot...no freedom.......just taking orders....for the good of all type talk..and the ends justifies the means.......people don't exist...individuality nullified, for the good of the hive.....creepy....happens at wallmart too...anyplace one has to wear uniforms...enforced identities.....ways of being of a common goal...groups...no escape.........
Sounds Uranian.....who knows.......
BML sounds interesting as well.....

So about that Algol.....

Tsquare
The Thread Theif

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
SkyScript concering Algol. The stared out word in the second paragraph, by the way, is "b loody". This auto-editing thing is stupid...

There is a clear distinction between the characteristics of the stars of Perseus and those of the Gorgon's Head, which Ptolemy fails to acknowledge in his list of planetary natures. Since most astrologers follow Ptolemy, Algol, (the main star in the Gorgon's head) is usually described as like Jupiter and Saturn in influence; but in view of its widespread and overwhelmingly malevolent reputation Lilly was probably more correct when he likened it to Saturn and Mars. It is alleged to be the most unfortunate and dangerous star in the heavens and has a reputation for causing violence and unnatural death. Even Ptolemy remarked upon its influence in bringing 'death by decapitation or mutilation', when tied into the hostile aspect of Mars to the Sun or Moon.

The name Algol comes from the Arabic Al Ghul, the 'Ghoul' or 'Demon'. Usually it is classed as a white star but it has also been listed as red. It seems, always, to have been connected with death, tragedy and ****** violence: the Hebrews knew it as Rosh ha Satan, 'Satan's Head', and the Chinese as Tseih She, 'Piled-up Corpses'. According to Dr Lomer in Kosmobiologie Arabic commanders ensured that no important battle began when the light of Algol was weak.

In ancient times it was referred to as 'the Winking Demon' or 'the blinking eye of the Gorgon', because it is one of the most variable stars in the northern sky, alternating its brilliance from 2nd to 3rd magnitude in a particularly notable fashion due to its short cycle of variability which completes in three days. Most probably, its malefic reputation arose out of this variability, which threw a direct challenge to Aristotle's doctrine of the pure immutability of the heavens, by which celestial harmony was associated with perfect and constant motion. The inconstancy is caused by the fact that Algol is a binary system in which the brighter star is regularly eclipsed by its partner for a period of around 8 hours. Thus we get the ominous reference to an evil pulsating eye - a very powerful and provocative image and recently put to great effect by Tolkien as a representation of the evil Mordor in Lord of the Rings.

Lilly considered Algol to be one of the most portentous stars, noting its affliction as an indication of decapitation, hanging or danger to the head. In his system of scoring planetary strength, any planet within five degrees of Algol is detrimented by 4 points of debility. When placed with the Part of Fortune it threatens poverty or the loss of wealth, and with the 'significator of manners' it:

"begets in the Native a certaine dogged nature and violence, whereby he either procures sudden death unto himself, or is the cause of it to others".

Of the direction of the midheaven to this star Lilly writes:

It perplexes and casts the Native into extreame danger by reason of Murder, Man-slaughter, or the sudden death of someone or other, the Native being either author or assistant, it endangers the Head: if other Directions concurre in good, it gives the Native power of putting others to death; but I ever found it an ill Direction, even in mean mens Genitures.

Since it was mentioned, here's what it says concerning Antares as well. Not a bad star, just extreme.

Antares, a first magnitude fiery red star, is one of the most easily identifiable stars in the sky. The name means 'similar to' or 'rival of' Mars, because both are of a similar colour and luminosity, and also because - Scorpio being ruled by Mars - both were rulers and guardians of this constellation. Centrally located within the figure, it is also known as Cor Scorpii - 'Scorpion's Heart', or the 'Fire Star', on account of it notable red colour for which it is invoked in worship for protection against fire. In Egypt it has been taken as a symbol of Isis as well as the scorpion-goddess Selket, whose main role was to protect the souls of the dead; in ancient Euphratean astronomy it was known by such titles as 'Lord of the Seed', 'Creator of Prosperity', 'the King' and 'the Lusty King'. In the third millennium BC Antares was one of the Four Royal Stars of Persia, the 'Watcher of the West', appropriately capturing the symbolic importance of Scorpio with the autumn equinox and the association between the direction west and loss of the Sun's light. On this theme it is known that many early Grecian temples were oriented towards the rising or setting of Antares at the equinox.

A Royal star, likened to the influence of Mars and Jupiter, Antares offers extremes of success, good fortune, danger and malevolence. It clearly indicates the potential for great power, but where this is simply 'power of will' without integrity or wisdom, it carries the threat of ruination. Lilly warns that it can indicate a rash, head-strong person who is destructive to himself by his own obstinacy. The direction of the luminaries to this star usually indicates great honour and advancement, but always there is a warning not to fall victim to its ruthless energies. Of the Sun directed to this star Lilly writes:

It discerns many honours, if the native be careful, and be not deceived by soldiers. It doth many times produce a burning fever, or some violent act, and prejudice the right eye.

Concerning orbs, the general rule-of-thumb is that the brigther the star, the more influence it has and the greater its orb should be. Regardless, though, you won't find many traditional authors going over a 2° orb, and those stars which are not of first mag should probably be given a 1° orb. Aspects, as have been stated before, do not count. Only the conjunction, especially when it is simultaneously an occultation.

Last edited:

gesso

Kingsley said:
Recently I have seen how the prog sun conjunct Venus (ruler of 8th) produced a very unfortunate death. Perhaps I will attempt to stay out of trouble for the next 6 months or so.

kingsley
Ive got thisocming up in two years..prog sun will conjunct my natal venus in aqua/1st house ...ruler of my 8th
I had read before that venus ruling the 8th would tend to make the native have peaceful deaths..or long lives?

QuaOs

I have Chiron conj. Caput Algol as a focus point driven from other main planets ... and that was painful. See my chart below.

53024825d5ce7fd51.png

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Pallas-Trine-Mars, don't be concerned over the Sextile and other such aspects. The fixed stars cast no rays, so only the conjunctions count. If you have a planet (not Chiron...) conjoined with Algol, THEN you can worry. :)

Pallas-trine-Mars

Kaiousei no Senshi said:
Pallas-Trine-Mars, don't be concerned over the Sextile and other such aspects. The fixed stars cast no rays, so only the conjunctions count. If you have a planet (not Chiron...) conjoined with Algol, THEN you can worry. :)
Perhaps you're right, and nope, no planets conjunct Algol. but my MC is exactly conjunct Aldebaran, Sun cj Procyon (1 degree sep.), Asc besieged by Zosma and Coxa, POF exactly cj Markab, Pluto exactly cj Alphecca and Menken, Mars exactly cj Ras Elased Aust and Venus exactly cj Subra. Meaning?...

Will you please explain to me why you hate Chiron so? lol If posting here is too disruptive to the thread, do it on the horary thread I posted (SCRATCH THAT) or send me a message plz!

Last edited:

JayM

Uh-oh............ My algol at 25 taurus is conj my moon...... What do I do!?!?!?!?!?!??! Its in the T-square too! Help!

Attachments

• Astro Chart Jay2.GIF
    Astro Chart Jay2.GIF
    26.8 KB · Views: 37

freedomlover

JayM said:
Uh-oh............ My algol at 25 taurus is conj my moon...... What do I do!?!?!?!?!?!??! Its in the T-square too! Help!

You can relax, JayM.....your Moon is out-of-range of Algol's fateful orb.:cool:

I've read varying reports on the orb of influence of major fixed stars, such as Algol - ranging from 2 to 5 degrees. Personally, I use 5 for Algol, but even so - your Moon is out of range. Whew!

However, your North Node isn't so lucky.:eek: It could just be saying - since it's your North Node - that your destiny will involve communication or other 3rd house issues regarding people who have been abused or hurt by Algol-like happenings and people. Maybe you will be a news reporter? Ambulance driver? War correspondent?

You might want to read the article I posted in the post previous to yours - especially towards the bottom of it. It talks about how Algol can influence your life indirectly by its appearance in your chart.

FL

att75

I'm a beginner to Astrology, and I have never checked the fixed stars on my natal chart. But this topic gave me the idea to look after Algol, which is rather relevant, as I'm a Taurus/Taurus (Sun/Asc). But the result is a bit scary, as Algol is at 26Tau10, my natal Sun is at 25Tau37, and my Ascendant is at 26Tau44. Quite close, especially the Ascendant. :eek: It was good to read, in one of the linked articles, a list of people with Algol placements; to see that others have/had this stuff. :) (Moreover, "statistically" many-many people should have this, even with their Sun and Ascendant closer to Algol.)

Nevertheless, I would be very grateful to read opinions of experienced Astrologers about this placement of mine. :)

freedomlover

att75 said:
I'm a beginner to Astrology, and I have never checked the fixed stars on my natal chart. But this topic gave me the idea to look after Algol, which is rather relevant, as I'm a Taurus/Taurus (Sun/Asc). But the result is a bit scary, as Algol is at 26Tau10, my natal Sun is at 25Tau37, and my Ascendant is at 26Tau44. Quite close, especially the Ascendant. :eek: It was good to read, in one of the linked articles, a list of people with Algol placements; to see that others have/had this stuff. :) (Moreover, "statistically" many-many people should have this, even with their Sun and Ascendant closer to Algol.)

Nevertheless, I would be very grateful to read opinions of experienced Astrologers about this placement of mine. :)

One word comes to mind..... Patience. It would seem that one of your big ego lessons (Sun) is to learn patience..... slow and steady.

Other lessons can be to not let others treat you as "property", as a "sex object", or abuse you physically, and of course, not to do this to others.

FL

att75

freedomlover said:
One word comes to mind..... Patience. It would seem that one of your big ego lessons (Sun) is to learn patience..... slow and steady.

Other lessons can be to not let others treat you as "property", as a "sex object", or abuse you physically, and of course, not to do this to others.

FL
Thx, Freedomlover!!! I'm impatient, that's for sure.

Arian Maverick

Does anyone here have planets in paran with Algol?

You can request a free One-Page Paran analysis at Bernadette Brady's website; that's how I learned I have my chart ruler Mars in paran with Algol, the interpretation of which is "tragic events or losses." Nice, huh? :rolleyes:

Arian Maverick

seiw83

i woludl like to say

20 th may 2012 jupiter and moon conjuct about 25 deg taurus, in that moment my sun wil conjuct algol(29.55 this star is considered to allow 6 dg orb!!) and more over mercury will be 21.39 taur(still in orb) nataly my mercury conjuct alghol!! wow.

that day my T-venus conjuct N venus by .50 deg. in gemini sighn pluto conj my dsc.

Last edited: