Attn: For astro.teacher and ors - Almuten calculations

Hi astro.teacher

I was talking to you a few months ago about appearance and how to use your website:

http://antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-8.html
http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap1-5.html

I need to know about the almuten, specifically, what do the following mean:

* Swift in motion
* In partil conj
* "With cor leo, or spica virgo" (does that mean in the heart of leo and artistry of virgo?? If so, how??)
* Slow in motion.
* Moon decreasing - does it mean a waning moon?

What do these all mean?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lissa

Glad you brought this up,I too am having a hard timing working up a couple of terms related to this matter.

I have yet to go through the links you posted(will do so once I'm finished determining my almutem-I prefer to call it Lord of Genitue,by the way),but I will recommend you this link: http://www.skyscript.co.uk/dig5.html#liltab

I am having a hard time determining planetary motions(how do you know if a planet is fast or slow?I'm guessing you need an ephemeris,but where do you get an ephemeris for1991?),plus how do you determine occidental/oriental when the Sun is in Pisces...

I believe my Lord of Geniture is one of the malefics,Saturn(I wonder what that says about my character..:rolleyes: ).It is the only planet in my chart that's in it's own sign,Aquarius,sitting in the1st house,separating from a trine with Jupiter,applying a square to Venus.

Hoping to hear from you,
Lissa

Aha ! That's interesting Lissa. THanks for the Skyscript link, its good that they explain that a decreasing moon is waning, which is what I thought.

Interesting that they split of the 7th, 4th and 11th house from the 10th/first houses, they didn't do that in the other chart that I was using. But also it's cleared up the spica/regulus issue for me as well. THanks for that!

It's all still very confusing though.

If your lord of Genitature is Saturn, then you will possess the characteristics of saturn, I presume it's both good and bad characteristics.

As for the occidental and oriental, I just thought that was whether the planets were to the "right" (west) of the IC/MC axis or "left" (right) of the IC/MC axis, respectively (AC is the most easterly point, DC more westerly). So, I thought anything in houses 1, 2, 3, 10, 11, 12 would oriental; the other houses occidental.

EDIT - as for swift/slow, maybe the ephemeris is the way to go, where slow might be a planet that is stationary that has just come out of retrograde. Swift maybe means planets going swiftly either direct or retrograde, I really don't know!

Last edited:

astro.teacher

Okay to answer your questions;

* Swift in motion

Each Planet moves at certain speeds and may at times appear to be moving faster or slower at any given time. If they are above their "mean" motion, they are considered swift, if they are below this mean motion, they are considered slow. Each Planet has its own mean motion. If you see in an ephemeris (its easier to use a computer program for this however since it is usually more exact) you see that a Planet has gone above its allotted degree allowance, you consider this quick in motion. The mean motions of the Planets are as follows;

Saturn - 3/4 Minutes a day
Jupiter - 4 minutes 59 seconds a day
Mars - 31 degrees 27 minutes a day
Sol - 57 minutes 15 seconds but he never goes above 59 minutes 8 seconds a day
Venus - 59 minutes 8 seconds.
Mercury - 59 minutes 8 seconds.
Luna - 13 degrees 10 minutes 36 seconds a day.

* In partil conj

http://www.antiquus-astrology.com/Chap2-5.html

Scroll down almost at the bottom is a section on Partile and Platic aspects.

* "With cor leo, or spica virgo"

The fixed stars Regulus and Spica - if it is in conjunction with these stars, it is considered a dignity.

* Moon decreasing - does it mean a waning moon?

It means she is passing from her opposition(Full moon) to her conjunction(New moon) (as opposed to increasing which is her conjunction to opposition)

I should also note, that when considering Almutens, I rarely consider the Accidental dignities of the Planet, I prefer only to use the Essential. If there are two Planets competing for Almuten, then I will bring in the strongest accidental dignities to determine.

---------------------------

plus how do you determine occidental/oriental when the Sun is in Pisces...

The sign of the Sun doesnt matter, if the Planet rises before the Sun (remember the Ascendant is the horizon and rising point) then it is considered oriental, if it rises after the Sun it is considered occidental. An easy way to see this is to cast a chart, if the Sun is placed in the 5th House for example, and the other Planet in the 3rd then it is Oriental because it is closest to the Ascendant. Whereas if we find that Planet in the 8th, it is Occidental because the Sun is closer to the Ascendant and therefore will rise AFTER the Sun has risen.

I believe my Lord of Geniture is one of the malefics,Saturn(

Benevolent and Malevolent are interchangable terms, Jupiter can be just as malevolent as Saturn can and Saturn just as benevolent as Jupiter. It matters how they are placed in the figure and their influence. While Saturn is a natural malevolent, when found in abenevolent condition, his malevolence is abated.

----------------------
If your lord of Genitature is Saturn, then you will possess the characteristics of saturn, I presume it's both good and bad characteristics.

When Saturn is fortunate, he brings the good characteristics of Saturn, when he is unfortunate, he brings the malevolent characteristics of Saturn. All Planets have good and bad characteristics, and when they are fortunate they will always show the best side of the Planet. The degrees of this are considered by the strength of they are provided by their position. Someone will reap larger benefits from a Saturn in his House, than someone who has Saturn only in his Face.

Lissa

Astro.teacher,thank you for teaching us:p I think I get it now.And Saturn really is my Lord of Geniture,even though it is sitted in the house of it's fall(but it's the1st house after all).I'm not exacly ambitious,cautious or patient,thoug.Guess I will rippen with age:p

astro.teacher

No problem! If you have any further questions that youve posted and would like the answer to, send me a PM to alert me to the post, I only check new posts every week or two so I may miss a post directed towards me (as usually I only reply to those that I am active in).