How are relocation charts calculated?

Pelagic87

I have been studying astrology for a few years now yet I never dabbled in relocation astrology, for the short while that I was investigating it I simply assumed that in order to draw up a relocation chart all I had to do was put my birth place as my current place of residence. I mean, logically this makes sense right? However I noticed that it only resulted in a few degrees difference in the chart, so I just wrote off relocation astrology, however just a few moments ago I noticed that astro.com had a relocation chart available in the special charts section, needless to say...the relocation chart I am looking at now is vastly different. Can anybody explain how relocation charts are calculated? Like I said I just assumed that you drew up a natal chart with current place of residence as opposed to where you were born, of course now it appears to be a little more complex than that...

EJ53

Banned
...Can anybody explain how relocation charts are calculated?...(although)...I think I got it figured out now

For those who haven't yet figured it out but wish to, the process is as follows :-

1. The relocation chart is calculated for the same Universal Time as the natal chart, but using the lattitude/longitude and local time for the place of relocation.

2. When done correctly, the zodiac position of all planets will be exactly the same in both the natal and relocated chart......So, you should check that the fastest moving planet (Moon) is at the same zodiac degree/minute the two charts.

3. The only change to the chart will be to the House Wheel......So, the Angles/house cusps will be different and the signs/planets will be in different houses......but that will probably result in a change of house rulers.......(And these are the things which need to be considered to assess the effect of the relocation, since the natal meaning of planets by sign and aspect remains the same).

4. The hard part is to convert the local time of your natal birthplace to the correct Universal Time, and then convert that back to the correct Local Time at the new location......This is an absolute nightmare, because it involves both timeline and daylight savings adjustments (which will leave you needing to wear a hairpiece before you get it right).

5. Fortunately, Astro.com do all these adjustments for us......So, all we need to do is draw up a Relocation Chart there......extract the Local Time, lattitude, longitude from it......use that information to draw the chart on our own software......and check that the position of the zodiac degree/minute of the Moon is the same as in the natal chart.

Last edited:
Have you tried the astrocartography on astro.com, go to free horoscopes, then look to right. Astrocartography works and there is forum on AW that covers this and on astro.com on interactive, travel they offer astrocartography/world maps, which has its place and explains which planets rules lat and long where you relocate to and how this will affect you in this location. It is my personal opinion that relocated ‘birth charts’ don’t work, there are plenty of other techniques available.

Have just realised where the confusion may be on astro.com to get a solar return for a new location, you have to find the option to use a relocated chart, which does mean changing location from where natally you were born to where you are living now. This is just so you can get a relocated solar return only.....

Relocated birth charts are more or less astrocartography, whereby all your natal planets are stretched out over the globe and uses lat and long to discover best place to live. Apparently relocated birth charts does something similar (but not as widely used or known as astrocartography) whereby especially over the Angles could bring a planet out of 12, 3 6 or 9th to become much more active

EJ53

Banned
....It is my personal opinion that relocated ‘birth charts’ don’t work....Relocated birth charts are more or less astrocartography......

I'm confused by this, A50........Are you saying that (iyo) astrocartography doesn't work?

I'm open to persuasion either way about the validity of relocated charts and astrocartography.....but, my understanding is that the latter is merely a first step in producing the former.

Astrocartography tells us what the effect would be of relocating to a place which changes the house influence of only one planet in a chart......We then need to draw a full chart for that location (at exactly the same Universal Time of birth), to determine how the house influence of all other planets would change.

Thus, with astrocartography currently being promoted as the astrological elixar that can transform people's lives, there is a real danger of the "uninitiated" relocating (say) Venus to improve relationships only to find that they then have (say) Pluto on the Descendant making them a potential target for violence from others.

C0rnholio

Relocated birth charts are more or less astrocartography, whereby all your natal planets are stretched out over the globe and uses lat and long to discover best place to live. Apparently relocated birth charts does something similar (but not as widely used or known as astrocartography) whereby especially over the Angles could bring a planet out of 12, 3 6 or 9th to become much more active
Astologer50, are you having a trouble reading maps? Are you being a girl? :biggrin:

Here is my Astrocartography map from Astro.com:
http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/gphilip12/Reloc-World.gif

See where Moscow is? A black Pluto AS line is passing a little to the west of it. And I have a Pluto right above my natal Ascendant.
Compare to my natal chart.

See where Michigan is? A brown Saturn AS line is passing a little to the east of it. And I have a Saturn right below my relocated Ascendant.
Compare to my relocated chart.

If I move to Dakar, Senegal, then I will have the Sun on the Ascendant. If I move to London, UK, then I will have a Neptune on the IC.
If I move to Rome, Italy, then I will have a Venus on the Ascendant in the 1st house. And if I move to Hawaii, then I will have that Venus on the Descendant.

In other words, Astrocartography and relocation charts are the same thing, just presented in a slightly different way.

My happiest place in the US has been Phoenix, AZ:
http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/gphilip12/Reloc-Phoenix.gif
But I earned some mysterious health issues while going there (Uranus in 6th).

I would like to go check out a vacation in Acapulco:
http://s923.photobucket.com/albums/ad73/gphilip12/Reloc-Acapulco.gif
It looks much better. Just need to watch my money there (Saturn in 2nd).

Last edited:

EJ53

Banned
Astologer50, are you having a trouble reading maps? Are you being a girl? :biggrin:

:lol:...A "sexist comment" perhaps, but good-humoured and not without a grain of truth.

.....My wife is one of the worst map readers I know:biggrin:......although she can accurately navigate across 100+ miles when following directions from department store to department store:biggrin:

Excellent explanation of how to use Astrocartography maps, COrnholio.:sideways: