Having Surgery During Mercury's Retrograde

Yes

I am having a hernia repaired during Mercury's Retrograde, and since this surgury is extremely important, cannot be moved to a different date.

What should I do if I'd prefer nothing go wrong?

Thanks

lillyjgc

Senior Member, Educational board Editor
Welcome to the Forum,
I hope we can help you get insights using astrology.

It's certainly not ideal to have surgery with the Mars retrograde.However the part of the body being operated on should definitely not fall under the rulership of Mercury or Mars or any retrograde planet *as a rule*.
I believe the stomach is under the moon's rulership (although Gemini apparently is connected to the oesophagus end of things). If you able to post up the chart for the time of the surgery perhaps we can look at it more closely. I wouldn't prefer to have stomach surgery with a moon in cancer or a full moon. Ideally a trine between the sun and the moon would help but your surgeon needs to be in a strong position.Sometimes things done under a retrogradation have to be re-done. A few years ago a friend had a hip replacement whilst jupiter was retrograde. He did have a lot of problems with the new hip.(But he didnt die on the table or anything-!).
Anyway, it's up to you whether you wish to post up the chart.
You'll need to set it up at astro.com then save it to a photobucket/tinypic or some other similar place then transfer it to here.The instructions:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments

Cheers
Lillyjgc

Carole

Yes:

It's better not to have a surgery when Mercury or Mars are retrograde. As there are many different types of hernia, it would help to know what kind is yours to pinpoint the affected organ or part of the body.

In general, before planning a surgery, you should choose a day within 5 days before New Moon; when the Moon is NOT Void of Course; when it's NOT applying within 10 degrees to your natal Sun; when it's transiting a fixed sign (if possible) and it's NOT transiting the sign and planet that rule the part of the body to be operated, or the opposite sign. Let's say you'll have a stomach surgery, then the Moon shouldn't be transiting Cancer or Capricorn.

Eclipses should be taken into account as well, as you shouldn't undergo a surgery five days before or after an eclipse. You should look for favorable aspects from the Moon to your natal planets (ideally). But as to get a perfect date is practically impossible, you should look for as many good points as you can, and good aspects from the Moon to your natal benefics (Venus and Jupiter).

The most common types of hernias fall under the rulership of Mercury/Virgo. If yours happens to be one of these, then doing the surgery while Mercury is retrograde would be out of the question, considering that you hope for an outcome without any problem and a quick recovery.

Carole:smile:

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Hi Carole,
I agree with most of what you have said but I am not sure about this:

when it's applying within 10 degrees to your natal Sun;
My natal sun is square my ascendant so I try to avoid any transits to my sun when surgery is happening.
Also not sure about use of fixed signs...Surgery is intended to change something.If we have fixed signs in the most important places then maybe the change can't be made..Personally I prefer to use cardinal signs (on angles )for surgery.
If the time for this operation cannot be changed then hopefully it occurs when the planet signifying the surgeon is in the best possible place.
I agree with what you say about eclipses-there's a big one on January 15th.
Maybe you could give us the data,Yes, so we can see how it looks.
Cheers
Lilly

Carole

Hi, Lillyjgc!

You are absolutely right about the Moon applying to the natal Sun. Thank you for pointing it out. Mercury messed with my thoughts, it seems, but I have already corrected the mistake. The reasoning behind the suggestion about the Moon being in fixed signs comes from the idea that this would help to keep the surgeon's hands steady. Also, this is a surgery where the outcome is known, which is not at odds with a fixed Moon, whereas a mutable Moon would be convenient if the surgery was one of exploratory type. A cardinal Moon would be best, I think, for those cases when the patient might have complications due to anaesthesia and it's necessary for the surgery to be done fast.

You are right about surgery changing something, but right the moment a knife cuts your skin and gets inside of a patient's body, that change has already started, right? And hopefully, it will be from negative to positive, when someone's health is restored by someone else's ability, and the help of the wonderful energies from above.

Cheerio!

Carole

Last edited:

lillyjgc

Hi Carole- Yes, it makes sense you wouldnt want to have any negative applying aspects either, following along from the idea that the surgeon is trying to effect a positive, permanent change.
I found this discussion of surgical charts that I thought might interest us all here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~dymock/instal19.html

(The outcome of that surgery has been deemed successful by the Doctors.)

Now Yes, I hope we havent made you anxious about your surgery given you don't seem to have control over the timing. Just remember, even if the chart is *unfavourable*, as it has been for a few of my friends, most surgeons are skilled and qualified and the kinds of things that can be shown in a chart as *going wrong* can end up being things like a bad post surgical headache, or a minor problem with pain relief or something that can usually be addressed by the medicos at the time.
Or sometimes it just may take longer to heal, but at least knowing that can prepare you, so you don't take unnecessary risks, allow enough time to heal etc etc etc.
Forewarned is forearmed, I say.
Cheers
Lilly