Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Astrology and Psychology

Astrology and Psychology For interesting discussions on psychological meanings and deeper implications in natal charts between members passionated by both psychology and astrology.

Unread 08-18-2018, 04:19 PM

Self harm and harsh aspects to the ascendant

Recently looking at a chart of somebody who is very harsh on themselves, and will stop at nothing to feel great, not just visually but for the most part, inwardly. Looking at specifically Aries Mars sq Virgo Ascendant in combination with Aqua Venus sq Virgo Ascendant. With Mars being an aggressor, and the help of other, it gives that drive. The person can self harm as a result of not meeting elusive, so called 'standards' they have. This won't always be in the same ways, but often seeks out abusive activity if not directly onto themselves.

The Virgo ascendant comes across a lot more controlling/obsessive of the self than the mercury ruler it has, almost Plutonian, even from my own experience. Where attention to detail becomes obsessive.

I’ve been pondering over if harsh aspects to the ascendant could be acknowledged in this type of instance.

Last edited by or1000; 08-26-2018 at 05:57 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to or1000 For This Useful Post:
IleneK (08-19-2018)
Unread 08-20-2018, 06:40 AM

Re: Self harm and harsh aspects to the ascendant

If this is someone you know, I hope s/he is getting professional therapy/counseling.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world. Jack Layton, "Letter to Canadians"

I thought we went along paths--but it seems there are no paths. The going itself is the path.
C.S. Lewis, Perelandra.

Life is not about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. Message on a refrigerator magnet.
Unread 08-20-2018, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waybread View Post
If this is someone you know, I hope s/he is getting professional therapy/counseling.

Yes, for sure.

So teach, teacher. You have to teach.

~ https://www.moonplutoastrology.com/"
Unread 08-20-2018, 10:01 PM

Being self destructive takes more than Mars square the ASC - any Mars, any Asc.

This should show in harsh aspects (undermining) from Pluto, Neptune, Uranus.... in an overt way...
And thru Saturn in a less obvious way.

So look for other heavy planets undermining personal planets or the ruler of the ASC.

If any of this stuff is done in secret (hair cutting, skin cutting, secret relationships) then look at the 12th house. AND the moon is usually involved.
LIN

"The universe does not care if it inconveniences you."
The Following User Says Thank You to Lin For This Useful Post:
lif3siz3p4p3rd011 (07-25-2019)
Unread 08-26-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Being self destructive takes more than Mars square the ASC - any Mars, any Asc.

This should show in harsh aspects (undermining) from Pluto, Neptune, Uranus.... in an overt way...
And thru Saturn in a less obvious way.

So look for other heavy planets undermining personal planets or the ruler of the ASC.

If any of this stuff is done in secret (hair cutting, skin cutting, secret relationships) then look at the 12th house. AND the moon is usually involved.
LIN
I see what you’re saying. I have 12th house mercury and Virgo ascendant and can understand the secrecy of it.

So teach, teacher. You have to teach.

~ https://www.moonplutoastrology.com/"
Unread 09-01-2018, 03:34 AM

I wrote a piece Accident Prone. That might shed some light on self harm. However there may be a psychosis present in cases of self harm.
The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Useful Post:
or1000 (09-03-2018)
Unread 09-01-2018, 03:44 AM

A thorough reading of the persons chart will reveal the drives that lead to self harm amd the congruence of certain types of drives will allow you to label the condition in psychological terms if you have the knowledge and skill.
The Following User Says Thank You to greybeard For This Useful Post:
or1000 (09-03-2018)
Unread 09-01-2018, 03:48 AM

I've Virgo asc myself with NN/Venus squared and moon/Mars conjunct. I can see where you're coming from with the Plutonian like energy, except it's self directed. It is very intense, very harsh, very self critical to the point of destruction, controlling and yet also desirous of release which can also come in selfdestructive forms. I've had issues with selfharm as well

I always hear Virgo is very critical of others, but I don't relate to that. I'm very very easy on others. It's myself I'm brutal with

Tags
ascendant, aspects, harm, harsh