Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology

Natal Astrology A place to discuss yours and others' birth charts (after you post your own birth chart interpretation). Includes psychological and relocation astrology, houses, aspects, and planetary dignity and debility.

Unread 08-11-2017, 10:15 PM
Banned

Re: Am I an idiot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
Source please? Because that doesn't sound anything like what traditional astrology would say about house or sign positions. It doesn't go into much about personality. What you're quoting sounds much more like modern astrology than traditional.
http://www.thedarkpixieastrology.com/the-6th-house.html

Do show me places to research on traditional, since i seem to be hitting up different types of astrology in search for answers.

I did think that was traditional astrology, no where states either on that site, or at least i have not found anything saying either.

Unread 08-11-2017, 10:29 PM

Traditional is mostly found in old books, though there are a few current books about it as well. You can also find articles on some web sites. Chris Brennan does traditional astrology and writes about it, as does Ben Dykes. There are a lot of traditional articles at skyscript but not all of the material there is traditional.

Usually if a site or article is traditional, it will say so.

That site is not traditional, it's modern.

Some trad concerning Mercury from Abu ali al-Kayyat, it talks about personality a bit, but I think you'll see the difference (not just in the writing style):

But if Mercury is the lord of the ASC in a good house, free from [any of] the
infortunes, it bestows on the native eloquence, wisdom grace, beauty, writing,
skill, knowledge, excellence and skill in invention and composition. If the same
[planet] is impedited and in an evil house, the native will be deceitful, a liar,
inclined to evil arts, and every sort of wickedness, a corrupter of letters, and if
there are any of this kind, [they are] liable to deceptions and frauds.

Moreover, it is worthwhile to observe its application with the rest of the planets
because it readily joins together with them.

For if it is with Saturn or applies to
it, it signifies seriousness of Language,with acuity of intellect and such
silence, investigation into medicine, and [a person] of careful opinions, but
with the added nastiness of sexual license and lust.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (08-11-2017)
Unread 08-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Traditional is mostly found in old books, though there are a few current books about it as well. You can also find articles on some web sites. Chris Brennan does traditional astrology and writes about it, as does Ben Dykes. There are a lot of traditional articles at skyscript but not all of the material there is traditional.

Usually if a site or article is traditional, it will say so.

That site is not traditional, it's modern.

Some trad concerning Mercury from Abu ali al-Kayyat, it talks about personality a bit, but I think you'll see the difference (not just in the writing style):

But if Mercury is the lord of the ASC in a good house, free from [any of] the
infortunes, it bestows on the native eloquence, wisdom grace, beauty, writing,
skill, knowledge, excellence and skill in invention and composition. If the same
[planet] is impedited and in an evil house, the native will be deceitful, a liar,
inclined to evil arts, and every sort of wickedness, a corrupter of letters, and if
there are any of this kind, [they are] liable to deceptions and frauds.

Moreover, it is worthwhile to observe its application with the rest of the planets
because it readily joins together with them.

For if it is with Saturn or applies to
it, it signifies seriousness of Language,with acuity of intellect and such
silence, investigation into medicine, and [a person] of careful opinions, but
with the added nastiness of sexual license and lust.
Makes sense as to why i can't find anything relating to the opinion i was given.

I have also torn what is supposed evidence down as it's neither solid or forthright with what it mentions in the PM i got.

It mentions "generally" and "representation" so in other words, changeable and room for difference.

Am i correct?

Which is what i said with the mentality i got from the other user as "black and white" to what is really a grey area of abundant differences.

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/temples/h6.html

Last edited by CancerEvolve; 08-11-2017 at 10:38 PM.
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:16 PM

Mercury's basic function is to destabilise, to break things into pieces. It's Jupiter that puts them back together again (big picture). This is why these two are so opposite. But if they're in aspect and it's a soft aspect or at least a good reception, something productive can usually come out of their connection.

Dark, or malefic houses are houses that do not see the ascendant by whole sign aspect. The 12th is a dark house. It's right on top of the ascendant, and it's where the sun rises, all bright and hazy, and you can't see anything in there. Hence the illness, isolation, prison, secret enemies, being your own worst enemy.

The second house is a dark house, too, though it gets a bit of a reprieve since it is rising towards the ascendant. Still, there can be a whole lot about your own money that you don't know, and can make you miserable.

The sixth is another dark house, and it also pertains to illness, slavery, the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.

And the eighth is a dark house. Fears, poisonings, surgery, death, taxes. By derived houses it can also mean things like the spouse or business partner's assets, but that doesn't nullify the original meaning.

Traditionally, anyway. If a house doesn't see the ascendant, it means that things are going on that the native isn't necessarily aware of, and often those things are bad. Not always, but enough to throw up a big caution sign. And planets in houses that are dark can't do much to help the native because - they don't see (aspect) the ascendant - which, in traditional astrology, is you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (08-11-2017)
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:22 PM

As to the other bit. Traditional astrology does not conflate signs and houses, outside of medical astrology (Aries and the first house can both represent the head, that kind of thing).

Modern astrology often conflates signs and houses. So while Virgo and the sixth house have no correlation in traditional astrology, they often do in modern.

And it's completely up to you how to interpret the charts you run, so do it whichever way makes more sense to you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oddity For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (08-11-2017), katydid (08-12-2017)
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Banned

Thank you oddity for your insight, this has helped me a lot to understand where the other person was coming from.

Things are good between me and this other person by the way, there is no bickering.
Unread 08-11-2017, 11:53 PM

I also have my Mercury in the 6th, although it is one and a half degrees from the descendant.

I have to agree with the 'non-astrologer' CE, that the 6th house is a fine place for Mercury's placement. It is a cadent house, fitting well with both Gemini and Virgo, which are ruled by Mercury.
The Following User Says Thank You to katydid For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (08-12-2017)
Unread 08-12-2017, 05:15 AM
Senior Member, Moderator

Quote:
Source please? Because that doesn't sound anything like what traditional astrology would say about house or sign positions. It doesn't go into much about personality. What you're quoting sounds much more like modern astrology than traditional.
Indeed. I would like to remind all of you that it's against the rules of this forum to quote from a book, article, other website, or any other material that didn't originate in this forum without citing the source. It's also against the rules to quote any passage longer than 100 words. From the forum FAQ, way down at the bottom (you all read it when you joined, just like you were supposed to, didn't you?)

Quote:
In order to respect copyright laws, members must not paste in their posts texts copied from other websites or other publications that are over 100 words long each. A maximum of 3 quotes of texts copied from other websites or other publications is accepted per post and each quote must be from a separate website or other publication. Each quote will be indicated in some way, such as placed between quotation marks, between the tags
Quote:
copyrighted text
or in some other way indicating that this is copied text. The source should be properly mentioned: book or magazine author and title, name of magazine, ideally also additional publication data. If the text is publicly available online, a link to the source should be given.

Plagiarism, defined as copying one's work and passing it off as one's own, is not accepted. Material in the public domain (that either was never copyrighted, either the copyright has expired) has to be appropriately cited also.
For that reason, I have taken the axe to several of the quotes here. That included deleting a good portion of a post that I really couldn't tell if it was a quote or not, because there was no source cited and nothing to indicate that it didn't originate in the poster's mind, but the style was too unlike a discussion board post, so I erred on the side of not violating copyright laws. People, using someone else's words as if they were your own is plagiarism. Plain and simple.

I have left part of the quote up for now, but if the poster doesn't come back and cite the source within a reasonable amount of time, it too will be deleted.

Might I also remind you all that under no circumstances are personal attacks allowed. I have done a lot of editing and deleting in this thread for that reason, too.
Unread 08-12-2017, 05:25 AM

That combination in my view gives you sharp, keen emotional insight, since your Mercury is in the 1st and the Moon in 7th, others can readily see it also since the 7th lord is in the 1st.
Unread 08-15-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CancerEvolve View Post
Do show me places to research on traditional, since i seem to be hitting up different types of astrology in search for answers.

I did think that was traditional astrology, no where states either on that site, or at least i have not found anything saying either.
I'm quite a fan of Astrology X Files

On the 6th house: http://www.astrology-x-files.com/hou...l-fortune.html

On Mercury in the 6th house: http://www.astrology-x-files.com/houses/mercury-6.html

Quote from that page: "... if dignified or received, especially by the lord of the 10th then this is good for professions in accounting, writing, education, communications or news media, computer science and technical fields..."
If debilitated, it mentions frequent job changes, disorganisation, trouble with co-workers and possible parkinsons and alzheimers disease.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoldOrFold For This Useful Post:
CancerEvolve (08-15-2017)

Tags
idiot