Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Aspects & configurations

Aspects & configurations Discuss here about natal chart aspects and configurations.

Unread 11-02-2007, 07:45 AM

Re: The Nodes take no aspects.

Gear,

I always go with mean nodes rather than true. Mean nodes are always traveling in a retrograde motion where as true nodes have the ability to be direct or retrograde because they are based of the Moons wobble. I guess its up to the individual in this case whichever they find more accurate.

SunMoonStar,

Quote:
then transits would become nullified as well because when a transit to your natal occurs, its not aspecting the actual planet from when you were born (because that planet is no longer there), its aspecting the "point in space" the planet occupied at your time of birth.
And that "point in space" is your body, for you contain inside yourself your Natal chart. Transit influences are a little difficult to explain. However its important to remember that most transits themselves ARE nullified when they arent supported by Directions or SR charts. They have little to no effect without support and are quite useless. The modern phenomenon of using transits in prediction is mainly based off of Modern Astrologers lack of ability to use other predictive charts and therefore solely they rely on Transits (which show very little). The Sun passes by the same location every year in your chart but doesnt bring the same effects because its not always supported. You bring up a good point though.

Astrology Books, Treatise, Readings & more!
Unread 11-02-2007, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astro.teacher
Gear,

I always go with mean nodes rather than true. Mean nodes are always traveling in a retrograde motion where as true nodes have the ability to be direct or retrograde because they are based of the Moons wobble. I guess its up to the individual in this case whichever they find more accurate.
I have no strong feeling one way or the other, but in a way ignoring the more precise measurements (which is all it seems to me to be) is a bit like sticking to an older ephemeris simply because it is older, not because it is more accurate.

Voltaire: "Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes."
Unread 11-03-2007, 12:23 AM

gear,

Quote:
I have no strong feeling one way or the other, but in a way ignoring the more precise measurements (which is all it seems to me to be) is a bit like sticking to an older ephemeris simply because it is older, not because it is more accurate.
I believe its a little more than that. True node simply takes in account the wobble of the Moon which CAN place it a degree ahead of the Mean method. You make a good point however the margin of difference isnt that significant so personally, as you, I have no strong feelings towards either. I just naturally use the mean node. Maybe in the case of conjunction as you mentioned the true node may be better suited to know exactly the placement but other than that I dont see any other purpose (since it only moves a degree or less (if that)). Most of my charts dont even change. Splitting hairs? probably.
Astrology Books, Treatise, Readings & more!
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Senior Member, Educational board Editor

Astro teacher, at the moment the mean node is assessed as 3.49 pisces or thereabouts. The *true node,*at 5 deg something/..
Now I'm not notpicking, but apparently William Lilly made the assertion somewhere (and I can't find it, anyone?) that a horary chart is not fit to be read if one of the significators is at the same degree as the node.
When I drew up a horary chart the other day, the sun was at 3 deg and the node, according to my astro program at 3 deg, thus rendering the chart unfit to be read.But if the *true* node is used, the chart is fit to be read. So which one do I use? William Lilly probably used the *true* node, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks. lillyjgc
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillyjgc
Astro teacher, at the moment the mean node is assessed as 3.49 pisces or thereabouts. The *true node,*at 5 deg something/..
Now I'm not notpicking, but apparently William Lilly made the assertion somewhere (and I can't find it, anyone?) that a horary chart is not fit to be read if one of the significators is at the same degree as the node.
When I drew up a horary chart the other day, the sun was at 3 deg and the node, according to my astro program at 3 deg, thus rendering the chart unfit to be read.But if the *true* node is used, the chart is fit to be read. So which one do I use? William Lilly probably used the *true* node, but does anyone know for sure?

Thanks. lillyjgc
The motion of the Moon's Mean Node is retrograde through the zodiac at the rate of roughly one degree every 19 days (compare the 19 year cycle of lunation). I should clarify here that the Moon's Mean Node is always retrograde, but the True Node oscillates according to the Moon's "wobble". This is caused by the gravitational effects of the Earth/Moon interaction, so the True Node sometimes has periods of direct motion. These periods of direct motion are considered unfortunate, as they go against the "natural motion" of the nodes. The Mean Node averages this "wobble" out, so giving a clearer picture.

And this:

http://www.snowcrest.net/sunrise/amoon-nodes.htm

Based on this, I think we are perfectly justified in using either one. My guess—only a guess—is that Lilly was using the mean, as it is likely that modern computational methods were not nearly as precise then.

Lack of precision (largely cause by lack of telescopes) made it impossible for astronomers to observe something called "motion parallax" when viewing stars, and this was the mean reason they did not immediately conclude the that Sun is in the center of things, not the earth.

Explaining <but with Micky Mouse's Sorcerer's Hat on>,

g

Voltaire: "Tout est pour le mieux dans le meilleur des mondes."
Unread 11-10-2012, 01:37 PM

I have over 40+ years of experience.

The nodes, ASC and cusp are all points, even the natal planets are really point since they have left their positions. Yet, they all can be activated by a transit.

Six months to a year of watching Mars travel around your own chart will prove it, they points function with aspects.

I use the Mean Lunar Nodes, not the True Nodes.

Tags
aspects, nodes