Gaj Kesari yog confusion!

Astroenthusiast

Hello everyone,

I was recently told that Gaj Kesari yog is not made by moon and jupiter alone but has mercury in the mixture as well. I have tried and tried to clear this confusion but haven't found any mention of need of mercury for the formation of gaj kesari. If anyone knows about, please help me.

Thanks.
P.S. Don't increase thread's post count by telling me to ask this of the person who said gaj kesari has mercury. I have enough common sense to do just that. Obviously I haven't got the answer from her (nor am I likely to, anytime soon).

dr. farr

I am not familiar with this Mercury requirement, based on the literature I have examined ("Yogas in Astrology"-Charak, "300 Important Combinations"-Raman, or Verma's "Yogas", which examines 564 yogas)

Astroenthusiast

I too have tried various sources to find out about it. Nothing so far. Oh...one more question what if jupiter is conjoined with one of the nodes or any malefic and ketu with other, will the yoga be afflicted?
A.V Sundaram says that as long as degree of jupiter is greater than degree of moon, there is a yoga, irrespective of the situation mentioned above!

dr. farr

There are several opinions about potential cancellation: GK yoga occurs in about 1/3 of all charts, so the quality (strength) of the GK yoga will be quite variable, depending upon other concomitant chart factors.
Me? For GK yoga and all other yogas and aristhas, I let the average of the sarva bindus of each of the component elements of the yoga/aristha, indicate whether it will be weak, inoperative, easily cancelled or moderately operative or strongly operative and resistant to cancellation: ashtakavarga is the key to judging how much influence should be accorded to any given yoga in a specific chart.

dr. farr

Depends upon how deeply one desires to go: general indications are usually fairly easy to accurately do: more individualized delineations-and PREDICTION work-are other matters which require study and experience over the years.

Crystalpages

There are several opinions about potential cancellation: GK yoga occurs in about 1/3 of all charts, so the quality (strength) of the GK yoga will be quite variable, depending upon other concomitant chart factors.
Me? For GK yoga and all other yogas and aristhas, I let the average of the sarva bindus of each of the component elements of the yoga/aristha, indicate whether it will be weak, inoperative, easily cancelled or moderately operative or strongly operative and resistant to cancellation: ashtakavarga is the key to judging how much influence should be accorded to any given yoga in a specific chart.

FWIW, your advice to involve ashtakavarga is a good one, Dr. Farr. Even if we do not take Sage Parashara's specific recommendations for its use in Kaliyuga-Jyotish! The newer development/recommendation of lunar nodes is what I am trying to come to terms with, conceptually, since I had been using the traditional (Parashara) scheme so far. Will give it a try someday after I read the two books suggested by you.

The confusion, if I may interject, arises from juggling too many balls by students, from the get-go! But the Kalki-explosion has already occurred. I am grateful that I began learning astrology before the (information)-explosion occurred!

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Astroenthusiast

The confusion, if I may interject, arises from juggling too many balls by students, from the get-go! But the Kalki-explosion has already occurred. I am grateful that I began learning astrology before the (information)-explosion occurred!

Rohiniranjan

Rest assured you have driven your point home (except your Kalki-explosion reference), but what can a mere human do when temptation is thrust in his/her path (note that i mentioned in the first post about my teacher baiting us with incomplete information). Especially with someone who believes that, "The best way to resist temptation is to yield to it".

However, I am trying (trying being the operative word here) not to jump the gun. And any advice is appreciated (since that is why I am primarily here)

Crystalpages

Dear friend,

The 'kalki-awatar' reference was not a literal statement, but a tongue-in-cheek reference to info-revolution :) After the internet and web explosive growth, readily-available information (some good, others bad and quite a few ugly!) has flooded the astrologers, from beginning to advanced levels. The latter have managed to survive and resist because they have acquired the foundation and some experience. The neophyte and intermediate have not built up that resistance and hence can get overwhelmed, even confused and my heart really goes out to them and their plight :-( Although, I personally got frustrated when beginning because of the paucity of readily-available astro-information and knowledge because there were few books, very few magazines and no computers. Does that mean that I want us to crawl back under the rock as the saying goes? Heck no! But the new learner sure has the need of better support systems and I believe your teachers and school might have a point when they ask their students to take it easy and slow down a bit. What has immensely helped scientific disciplines (pure and applied) students because of a greater and better organized quality control (peer reviewed writings and science has more rigidly defined boundaries and so on...) which is rather variable if not entirely lacking in our field of astrology.

For the casual student of astrology, it is no big deal, but for the serious student it can and does pose problems :-(

But hang-in there and remain optimistic and test everything you hear yourself in a good collection of REAL charts. Those, are the real teaching-aids as we realize after a while.

Regards and best of luck!

Rohiniranjan

dr. farr

The newer development/recommendation of lunar nodes is what I am trying to come to terms with, conceptually, since I had been using the traditional (Parashara) scheme so far. Will give it a try someday after I read the two books suggested by you.

Regards,

Rohiniranjan

Remember that the Nodes are (still) NOT used for sarvashtakavarga bindu calculations, nor (really) for BAV calculations either; but their own BAV's are useful for determing their likely influences in transit, and also for determining their maha and antar dasha influences (if using Vimshottari dasha) Historically, for these transit and dasha influences of the Nodes, the BAV table for Saturn was used for Rahu, and the BAV table for Mars was used for Ketu: now, we can (if we wish) calculate BAV specifically for each Node.

crystalsoulz

Dear friends ,
I'm familiar with the term gk yoga..
But can anyone tell me if I have this yoga as I'm
A bit confused. Below are my chart details
Dob : 1st march 1987
Time : 7.25 am
Place : Mumbai, Maharashtra , India

Please can anyone analyse
Thanks in advance