Astrologers' Community  

Go Back   Astrologers' Community > General Astrology > Natal Astrology > Aspects & configurations

Aspects & configurations Discuss here about natal chart aspects and configurations.

Unread 04-01-2012, 06:49 PM

What suggests ability to do math

Question as title.

I'm really rubbish at maths.

Unread 04-01-2012, 08:00 PM

Re: What suggests ability to do math

Traditionally, Mercury is related to mathematical skill. In sextile and trine with Saturn, one gets very good mathematical skills with in-depth understanding.
The Following User Says Thank You to dhundhun For This Useful Post:
byjove (04-02-2012)
Unread 04-01-2012, 08:20 PM

Mercury in Aquarius, with no hard aspects perhaps? Or Mercury in 11th? Aquarius/Uranus usually rules over Mathematics...

My Mercury is in my 4th, complimentary conjuncting Uranus (with no hard aspects to either)... and Im still pretty low-average in math...?

Visit: https://exemplore.com/astrology/Deat...8th-House-Cusp

Last edited by Ixaee; 04-01-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Unread 04-02-2012, 10:26 AM

I love maths and am pretty good at it, my math teacher was encouraging me to do a degree in it..
no Mercury-Saturn aspects, nor Mercury-Uranus, not many aspects to Mercury at all, and nothing in Aquarius or 11th house in my chart.. ???
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:23 AM

Location: Noida (India), Contact e-mail-anoop.astrologer@gmail.com

What's the distance between Sun and Merc. (I mean degree wise)
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.indirapuramghazibad View Post
What's the distance between Sun and Merc. (I mean degree wise)
6 degrees between them, so they are combust.

Mercury is exalted in the rasi, and debilitated navamsa

I don't have enough click thank yous, but thank you to everyone for responding
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhundhun View Post
Traditionally, Mercury is related to mathematical skill. In sextile and trine with Saturn, one gets very good mathematical skills with in-depth understanding.
Saturn's involvement makes sense. Saturn and Mercury don't see each other in my chart. I might check out some famous math guys and see what was cracking in theirs.
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:45 AM

I think you have solved your mystery, on your own
Unread 04-02-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.indirapuramghazibad View Post
I think you have solved your mystery, on your own
Would you say combustion alone was the cause? Does the navamsa position have a bearing?
Unread 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM

D-9 (Navmamsha )too
Unread 04-02-2012, 05:54 PM

I do mathematics and have taken university courses in the subject. In my chart Mercury in the tenth house rules the ascendant. The Sun in the tenth rules the third house and Saturn in the fourth house rules the ninth. This seems to be a good combination for intellectual matters. Now if I just had some other strong houses.

And the wild regrets and the bloody sweats, None knew so well as I. For he who lives more lives than one, More deaths than one must die. -- Oscar Wilde
The Following User Says Thank You to Culpeper For This Useful Post:
Moog (04-03-2012)
Unread 04-03-2012, 12:29 PM

I think each sign takes the structure of math differently. Plus I think a proper system of placements is needed in order to stabalize its fruition.

A strong Saturn aspect for organization/rigor. On the other hand Virgo will have a more laid back, seperating the wheat from the shaft view.

Gemini for its hieroglyphic counterpart. Sagittarius for its Principal/Axiomatic quality. Gemini looking at it more from a linguistic-system point of view, and sagittarius looking for its metaphysical truth.

I noticed that everyone does maths differently in the end, and many different types of astrological set-ups can contribute in different ways.

For example Feynmann a Taurus has the most physically tracking quantum mechanics technique of basically backtracking each possible location in physical space using matrices. With his ability to see and rotate space air/earth qualities.

Einstein was a Pisces with a Sagittarius moon. There you have the Otherwordly warped space-time that neptune can detect along with the overarching synthesis of Sagittarius. elegant simplified equations.

Or john nash, cancer asc, gemini sun, aries moon. Feeling your way in to subtle places by gathering information and innovating the frame of reference.

Some people can have mathematical skill, but they never develop it because it doesnt touch their hearts. They get bored in the process. Some people would be able to have mathematical skill if their water didnt cloud their decision making, etc.

Last edited by gen6k; 04-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:32 PM

I have 5th house Leo mercury trine 9th house Aries Saturn. I've always had math as my speciality.
Unread 04-03-2012, 04:50 PM

Certainly combination of sun and Merc. is good for Maths, and the point is what's the distance of Sun with Merc. Degree wise, Merc. Heading for exalt position, Aspects of other planets like Jup. etc. it counts and gives results. 5th house is for Intelligence, Mercury is for Intelligence IQ etc.
Please tell me sun position degree wise and other planetary position
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:07 AM

I have an unaspected Mercury in Aquarius 11th house and I looooove Maths =D My first love is Physics/Chemistry however.
Sagittarius is my #1 dominant sign, Jupiter #2 dominant planet! Jupiter, Uranus & Neptune in the 9th. One day I'll travel the world! Japan you're first
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyo.lights View Post
I have an unaspected Mercury in Aquarius 11th house and I looooove Maths =D My first love is Physics/Chemistry however.
Mercury is exalted in Aquarius and it has double strength being in 11th house. In addition to that it has Quincunx aspect with Moon - in absence of other aspects it is powerful aspect.
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
I love maths and am pretty good at it, my math teacher was encouraging me to do a degree in it..
no Mercury-Saturn aspects, nor Mercury-Uranus, not many aspects to Mercury at all, and nothing in Aquarius or 11th house in my chart.. ???
If you have posted your progressed chart correctly, you are taking advantage of progressions.

1. Mercury is in 3rd, in conjunction to exalted Jupiter.
2. Mercury is Sextile to Uranus and Pluto and trine to Neptune.

Also in Natal, Mercury is trine to MC and in opposition to Moon. Thereby mercury as enough power.

Last edited by dhundhun; 04-04-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Unread 04-04-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhundhun View Post
If you have posted your progressed chart correctly, you are taking advantage of progressions.

1. Mercury is in 3rd, in conjunction to exalted Jupiter.
2. Mercury is Sextile to Uranus and Pluto and trine to Neptune.

Also in Natal, Mercury is trine to MC and in opposition to Moon. Thereby mercury as enough power.
Thanks, dhundhun!
I missed Mercury trine MC. So maths ability is a question of Mercury being strong?
I read somewhere that in vedic astrology the strongest planet is the one which is furthest in any sign (it has the highest degree), in my chart that's Mercury..

Am not sure about the progressions though, I've always loved maths and been good at it -since starting school.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:25 AM

I have an unaspected Mercury and I've always enjoyed Maths, and I also taught it for many years.

My older brother however, makes me look like a mathematical dunce. He has taught it at university level and has taught gifted kids in maths, something I couldn't manage. He has Mercury trine Saturn, where Mercury rules his 9th house and is intercepted (i,e, Virgo is) in his 12th, while Saturn rules his 4th house. He is very mathematical in his speech........like, when giving options, he'll say something like: "a) we can go to the beach, or b) we can have a barbeque at the park, or c) we can stay home." True story - that's how he talks, just like a multiple choice test.

EDIT: British physicist, Stephen Hawking (and the basis of any physics is mathematics) has his Cap Mercury trining his Saturn-Uranus conjunction in Taurus. The Uranus factor suggests the inventiveness of his work.

"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
- from Anthem
by Leonard Cohen

Last edited by R4VEN; 04-04-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Unread 04-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Account Closed

Just to add weight to what has already been said here...

I have always been good at maths and with numbers.

I have Sun conjunct Mercury (exact) in the 9th house, trine Saturn in the fifth house.
Unread 04-04-2012, 02:58 PM

I have Sun conjunct Mercury in the 9th too and Mercury trine Uranus, but Saturn squares both Sun and Mercury... I was always mediocre at Maths.
Unread 01-06-2018, 01:25 AM

Deanna, the Mercury-Uranus conj in Pisces is a sign post for me. It indicates an active and changeable mind, with ideas of his own, and perhaps a mind more suited to creating something new and unique to him, than to following an organised body of thought which has been created by others (which in essence, Maths tends to be.)

Your son's mind may not, at 11, be terribly organised, but Science would appeal to him, since it is based upon concepts and ideas, many of which are new and exciting to children. That Jupiter in Scorpio probably wants to know why something is so.
As for the Chinese, perhaps he has a flair for languages. The Mercury-Uranus certainly describes a mind which appreciates flair and the unknown, rather than order.
It's also possible that your son does not yet appreciate the reason that Maths is important. It can be a very boring subject for some children.

I keep going back to the Mercury-Uranus conj in Pisces. It describes a unique mind, one which perhaps daydreams about fanciful, even preposterous ideas. It is a gift he has, but mainstream schooling may not be where he discovers such gifts.

[And Maths and Science skills are only related when you get into more advanced sciences, such as Physics, or Astronomy. Maths is fundamental to calculations required to pursue such subjects.]

"There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in."
- from Anthem
by Leonard Cohen
The Following User Says Thank You to R4VEN For This Useful Post:
deanna (01-07-2018)
Unread 01-06-2018, 03:55 AM

I majored in applied calculus. I have combust mercury in scorpio. Third house in virgo. Leo saturn on ascendant is about 8 degrees from out-of-sign trine to mercury. I love applied math, but I don't care too much for the theoretical side, especially at the graduate level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4VEN View Post
It's also possible that your son does not yet appreciate the reason that Maths is important. It can be a very boring subject for some children.
Very true. I found math boring until physics and calculus came along. Understanding natural phenomena with math is so awesome.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to !4C For This Useful Post:
deanna (01-07-2018), R4VEN (01-11-2018)
Unread 01-06-2018, 06:45 PM

Hmm, I'm not a huge fan of math and this is coming from someone who's majoring in electrical engineering. I can grasp math concepts fairly easily.

Truly LOVE languages and enjoy science.

I have Mercury in the 11th quincunx Uranus in the 4th. I have a fairly packed 11th house.
Mercury rules my Ascendant.

Last edited by magnolia8; 01-06-2018 at 06:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to magnolia8 For This Useful Post:
deanna (01-07-2018)
Unread 01-11-2018, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bina View Post
Did you check your declinations?

Tags
ability, math, suggests