Beginning to Study Astrology

LeeRutland

Well, I'm not really a beginner, but am considering myself as such, since it's been years since I've done any study or even looked at charts. I have begun to look at it again (the current state of things will make you do that).

Mainly I like the idea of conversing with other astrologers.

LeeRutland

I'm probably putting my head on the chopping block here, yet I think the major problem with those who start 'to study' astrology is that most of them aren't actually interested in learning the craft and its techniques for itself, rather than fulfilling a Mercurial curiousity in a general knowledge of what it can tell them in the way of predicting/answering personal life events..... and then as quickly as possible.
Sincerely,
A student of astrology.:joyful:

Actually, I began a study because I wanted to argue with an associate and prove him wrong. But I had no facts. So I began an intensive study, learning to cast charts, etc., all the while thinking I would ultimately show him up.

Problem is, the stuff is very accurate, and I was led immediately into a set of clients with major Pluto issues (I seemed to attract them). As a result I began to take it seriously and do work for others almost full time.

jacksaparow

Astrology, if it is nothing else, is a language. And what is a language? It is expression of the mind. Taking this into consideration, how does an infant (or anyone else really) learn a language? Do they immediately start constructing complex sentences out of thin air? No – they learn a few key words an build upon them. Verbs like “eat,’ “go” and “make.” Nouns like “mama,” daddy,” and “tree.” Simple thoughts can then be expressed, like “Mama go tree” – then those can be modified and strung together into more complex expressions.

This is how I teach my astrology students. Lean the basics first, because when it starts to get more complex, you have the basic tools to make sense of things.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
citrix exams oracle exams juniper training

Charlotte

Wow, that was very interesting, i think im probably the youngest person on this site (14)

I have always been interested in stars, when i was younger i used to lay on my trampoline at night with my dog and stare at the stars in admiration :love:

Antikythera Mechanism

Wow, that was very interesting, i think im probably the youngest person on this site (14)

I have always been interested in stars, when i was younger i used to lay on my trampoline at night with my dog and stare at the stars in admiration :love:
Yep you are right. I am pretty old myself but young at heart.:biggrin: When I was young and living down in Costa Rica, I wondered if there were any meanings to fixed stars and star parans- the angles to the planets/stars.

Antikythera Mechanism

Charlotte....I envy you because when I was your age I was not interested in Astrology- I really got into it when I saw mysterious patterns of behavior with someone I once trusted- The reason I brought all that out is because astrology is such an important aspect of my life and it really kept my sanity together!

[personal/intimate comments about family members are to be avoided in this forum as it has no relevance to this thread. Therefore I deleted them. Moderator.]

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlotte

Charlotte....I envy you because when I was your age I was not interested in Astrology- I really got into it when I saw mysterious patterns of behavior with someone I once trusted-
The reason I brought all that out is because astrology is such an important aspect of my life and it really kept my sanity together!

Maybe you can help me out, because im really confused! :tongue:

[deleted intimate comments quoted, per moderator comment above]

starlink

larrydzwonkowski, that link could be useful for others also. Maybe you could post the link as well in the "Recommendations" board of this forum.

[Note: larry is a spammer and has been banned from the forum - Moderator]

noideaaboutastro

Thanks Frank for the post. I wish I could come to your classes.

I've being learning astrology pretty much from this forum and from places like cafeastrology, astro.com etc. So basically, online. I'm getting better at it, but sooooo eeevvvvveeeeer soooooooo ssssslllllllloooowwwwlllllhyy. It's a little bit painful.

Everytime there is an interpretation question I feel like having a go at it, then read the skilled knowledgeable astrologers notes on it and see things I never saw! And my input becomes void, because frankly they can just see so much more than me. It definately is a science that takes a lot of time.

I have to admit though, even though I'm a beginner, I do look at Chiron and Juno - for me, personally, I find them important. It could also be because my Juno is conjunct my Sun in 7th house. But even though those with more authority than me will probably tisk tisk at me for it, I also do what intuitively feels right - and involving those two in my interpretations does. I think astrology is not just learning but also intuition - when you look at a chart, you also get a "feel". Or maybe that's just me.

But yeah, as you can see by my name, I'm still learning.

The link was full advertisements, and a search engine. I wouldn't put advertising sites on recommendations. The thread should consist of established websites, and good books. Astrodienst is great for articles and free chart generators, sample readings etc. An astrology student beginning their studies, will find this place useful. There are plenty of others out there, but you can never replace good books. If you are on a low budget, I think we should set up a place where you can learn the basics for free on the net, but you feel safe clicking the links :smile:. Narrow all those links down on the recommendations board, It takes forever to go through, and open a new thread with only the essential ones listed. Moderated links to other sites.

[Note: larry is a spammer and has been banned from the forum - Moderator]

Sebastien Cheritte

Well then if this is the beginning of class - I'm here, sorry I'm late... fashionably as always ;)

So... Master/Teacher/Speaker - Frank!

Hit us with the details so we can all grow :ninja: asap.

Frank

Well then if this is the beginning of class - I'm here, sorry I'm late... fashionably as always ;)

So... Master/Teacher/Speaker - Frank!

Hit us with the details so we can all grow :ninja: asap.

I suggest reading the section on the planets in William Lilly's "Christian Astrology" Book I. It is in the public domain and available from several sites on the Web for download.

Once you learn the meanings and assignments for each of the planets - as well as discover the underlying logic for those meanings and assignments - you'll be well on your way.

Sebastien Cheritte

Frank.. say I be frank then and mention my reluctance to read this book based on various self-assured reasons why not to.

***Then I ask you whether or not you have something to ask me to show and/or tell whether or not I NEED to. ;)

Last edited:

Sebastien Cheritte

Thanks Frank, fair enough... but the best way for me to get any idea of what's going on at all I suppose would be for me drop my chart somewhere and take a look at it with an expert... where could I do that?

starlink

Sebastien, if you want to look at your chart together with an astrologer, then find an astrologer near where you are living, who is willing to sit with you for a couple of month . Or going to a course would be another way to do it .

Frank is right, start with that book, or with a modern astrology for beginners book. Frank is more into traditional right now, but even so, Traditional is how it all started, how Astrology came into existence, so try going over that book as it really gives a lot of extremely good information. If you want to continue the modern way, you can always build onto that basic traditional information.

Claire19

Frank, this is a wonderful addition to this Forum. I hope all the members here will read this as indeed, as you say:
People who have barely even looked at a chart are suddenly zooming off to investigate hypothetical planets, thousands of asteroids, and arcane techniques.
This is what exasperates me every time again. Even the other day someone was asking about a point in space I just had never even heard of!!! and I am in this business for over 30 years.

Thank you very much for the precise and "step for step" explanation on how you work. This will be a great help for any beginner. New beginners just have to learn to be patient and stop being curious about what will happen to them. I cant tell you how often I have pointed that out.

Made my day!

Starlink
I understand your frustration about these asteroids, fixed stars and whatever. Someone just seems to manufacture the legends about them and mainly because they want to evoke a scenario to play out the way they want. I never use them and I have been practising for 30 years also.
I am even skeptical about Chiron to be honest.

Claire19

I hope when you are older and can handle it, that you will learn the science and the art that is astrology. It is fun to look at the Sun signs etc and read newspaper columns but really that is only for entertainment. Astrology is very complex and takes a long time to really get a handle on it.

I wish you luck in the future and keep stargazing.:wink: